The Last of Us: Part 2 - This thread has been double-DMCA’d by Sony Interactive Entertainment

Burned Man

Trans-Legion burnedgender Mormankin
kiwifarms.net
This author is a complete dumbass.
There was literally no focused narrative for Dark Souls, you had to piece the lore together yourself,
MGS5 bounces around from "revenge" to "wolbachia" to "Volgin wants revenge" to "psychic russian can take over robit" to "such a lust for revenge! Whoooooo?" to even more "wolbachia". I'm one of the people who think the story was unfinished.
I'd say its the author trying to fancy up his way off saying he wants clear cut progression to the credits. Say for Gta its just going the mission markers until the credits roll and never taking your car and driving around hitting jumps or splashing pedestrians with fire truck hoses. For Dark Souls the narrative is just running through the mandatory bosses and not taking time to look around and talk to npcs. In MGSV just keep launching those missions and never try to abduct soldiers or build the base or steal equipment.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
What's funny is that the game outright admits that Raiden's entire playable section was in fact a psuedo-recreation of the events of Metal Gear Solid 1 because, for whatever in-universe reason, the Patriot AIs thought that being able to recreate that event meant they had achieved the ability to perfectly control civilization.

Meaning MGS2 was really supposed to be MGS1 more or less but with a pretty boy instead of Snake outright. With worse writing (I mean, come the fuck on, you have an explosives expert actually say things like "killed my soul with bombs" and "defuse my sins"?)
I think what gave Kojima the idea is the fact that he reused a lot of stuff from Metal Gear 2 for Metal Gear Solid, there's tons of parallels with stuff that happens in Metal Gear 2 and Metal Gear Solid, down to having to use a key that changes shape in heat and cold and getting ambushed while riding an elevator.

It makes sense that he did that because Metal Gear 2 was fucking great but never even got a US release, so why not reuse some of those ideas for Metal Gear Solid? But when it came time to make MGS2, he must have thought that what if there were parallels with the prior game on purpose, what if someone was intentionally trying to recreate things.

I remember when I first played Metal Gear 2 how many things "clicked", it's the first "true" Metal Gear game, the original Metal Gear was just a warm up, 2 is what set the standard that the rest of the series followed.

This author is a complete dumbass.
There was literally no focused narrative for Dark Souls, you had to piece the lore together yourself,
MGS5 bounces around from "revenge" to "wolbachia" to "Volgin wants revenge" to "psychic russian can take over robit" to "such a lust for revenge! Whoooooo?" to even more "wolbachia". I'm one of the people who think the story was unfinished.
5's story is totally unfinished.

Next Task

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have the banjo version and the take on me version. You can have both.
I hadn't seen the banjo version. Which meant I hadn't seen that lead up to the sex scene.

... They really did the, 'We were fighting now we're fucking!' thing. A rotten cliché, executed particularly poorly, because of course.

I'm presuming every fawning review of the game has had to ignore the gratuitous sex scene, because fucking hell I thought it couldn't get any worse.

Brain Power

No fighting in the shop! Take it outside!
kiwifarms.net
I hadn't seen the banjo version. Which meant I hadn't seen that lead up to the sex scene.

... They really did the, 'We were fighting now we're fucking!' thing. A rotten cliché, executed particularly poorly, because of course.

I'm presuming every fawning review of the game has had to ignore the gratuitous sex scene, because fucking hell I thought it couldn't get any worse.
And IIRC, the guy was drunk, and has a pregnant girlfriend (What was her name? Mel?). I think that makes it even worse.

bricked

kiwifarms.net
Raiden was a good idea, executed poorly. Something Kojima was able to recognize and, with integrity as an artist, go along with.
He went on with it so well that he almost killed him in 4, but the staff persuaded him not to.
i think we all like him more after MGR anyways, so it's a good thing kojima didn't kill him off. even if MGR's canon status can be called into question.

jellycar

Hello, I'm Shelley Duvall
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I dunno about that, Sega removed 2 or 3 substories from Yakuza 3 Remastered that had a transwoman in them who, funnily enough, has the same build as Abby. It's a net positive though, because the western remaster got like 40 substories and several minigames restored that were removed in the original version.
Funny enough tho bc he literally rapes kiriyu. Also he's a crossdresser. Not trans

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Iodised Ant

Vic Viper T301

Commencing attack on the enemy
kiwifarms.net
That article from the last page is retarded. Linear story based games with forced walking sections don't give you bang for your buck. If you want bang for your buck in a single player game, go for action games with ranking systems and sky-high skill ceilings, or shmups and start score chasing. Or start speedrunning, whatever. Bang for your buck is finding a great game and playing the hell out of it, not how many hours it takes you to beat a campaign one time. Good God, games journalism is a dumpster fire.

Vic Viper T301

Commencing attack on the enemy
kiwifarms.net
The only recent games that do this in years are DMC5, Sekiro and Doom Eternal.
I'd nominate Astral Chain as well, you can skip most of the fluff if you know what you're doing and it's pretty fun. I wasn't a big fan of Doom Eternal compared to Doom 2016 but whatever floats your boat. A lot of people seem to think Sekiro has no replay value but I disagree, I've done multiple playthroughs and love that game.

Last edited:

Ginger Piglet

Burglar of Jess Phillips MP
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
That article from the last page is retarded. Linear story based games with forced walking sections don't give you bang for your buck. If you want bang for your buck in a single player game, go for action games with ranking systems and sky-high skill ceilings, or shmups and start score chasing. Or start speedrunning, whatever. Bang for your buck is finding a great game and playing the hell out of it, not how many hours it takes you to beat a campaign one time. Good God, games journalism is a dumpster fire.
Or strategy or building games. There's a reason "Just one more turn" became a meme iamongst Civilisation players.

Anyhow. Joe Abercrombie, one of my most favourite authors, likes it. This is depressing. Because Joe is actually a really good writer and really likes his character development. I suspect either payola or rose-tinted glasses for the first game, or being wowed by the graphical flourishes. Ugh.

cuÞbert

kiwifarms.net
I've been watching Mauler play TLoU 2 (because it will be a cold day in Hell when I give Dreckmann my money) and I got to say this game looks...boring. Ellie and Dina have no chemistry at all and it was just a cringe moment after cringe moment (bigot sandwiches, dude weed lol, being a (secular of course) Jew makes me a survivor)

The hyper serious dialogue overly peppered with swears while Dina and Ellie are exploring Seattle reminds me of those corny E3 presentations where the people playing co-op games talk like military operators. I utterly hate it.

The only new character I like is Jesse because he calls out the lovebirds above on their stupidity and of course that hack has his butch waifu kill him unceremoniously, and he's unironically a cuck.

I haven't wanted an entire setting's characters to die a horrifyingly painful death since Dragon Age 2's Kirkwall.

Tags
None