The Latest YA Twitter Pile On Forces a Rising Star to Self-Cancel -

SpeedOSanicRee

Gotta Scroll Fast
kiwifarms.net
Man, with how much this shit plagues the YA literature, I just cannot imagine what romance is like nowadays. I haven't touched a romance novel in years simply because I find many of them to be too hokey, and/or are just cut from the same cloth in how they choose the setting, the main heroine (if you wish to call her that), the main tall, dark and handsome stud, the antagonistic slimy fiancé who's secretly misogynistic and puts down the heroine any chance he gets, and their badly-written sex position of choice for their first time on top of the flowery purple prose they're consistently formatted in. They're all the same fucking books that bored housewives keep salivating over in their rocking chairs while their rugrats are at school and their husbands slave away at the office. And yes, this includes YA books no thanks to Twilight and the stupid "paranormal romance" genre it kickstarted.

But I imagine the romance novels are also dictated by your Cassandra Clares and other fanfic writers who dance around copyright to get their shitty yaoi fic published officially, so bleh. Glad I stopped reading them so I can focus on polishing up my own work of what I want, even though it sounds just as stupid for writers to circlejerk to their own works. I'm also baffled by how it is my grandmother can put up with reading YA novels just because she clutches her pearls over adult books yet once dipped her toes in the literary world with the same themes she's complained about (my dad likes to snark about it much to her displeasure, and she always has the same excuse, "Because I was telling a story!"). Wonder what she would think if I were to just, I dunno, casually drop this video into her inbox while bitching about the state of the industry.
Surprisingly, not too much. There was the Harry Styles fanfic that got published and has a movie deal, but otherwise, scratching the serial numbers off of fanfics and publishing them is going somewhat out of style (at least it hopefully is).

I will say that there has been some drama in the romance community. This woman named Faleena Hopkins decided to copyright the word 'cocky' for romance titles. She actually went after some authors who used it and threatened to sue them for everything they had if they didn't change the title of their books. She wasn't even the first one to use it, and the whole issue was that people were using the same generic stock photos as her for their erotic romance novels too and people bought those instead of hers. She did eventually let go of the copyright, but not until after some people had to lose a lot of money and time redoing their covers just before launch and thus losing a lot of money on all the merchandise and the copies they'd already had printed that had to be pulled. Apparently the woman isn't even a very good writer anyway, certainly not enough that this move could be justified. She came out and discussed it after it was all over, but came across as so pretentious and bitchy. Google #cockygate for more info (seriously, that was what it was called).

That was the worst of it I think, but when you've got a genre that is predominately women authors, I'm just waiting to see what else is going to happen.

Last edited:

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
kiwifarms.net
:story: Oh wooooow lol.

That dress looks like a garbage bag rofl.

God, has the literary world always been Mean Girls-levels of bitchiness and insanity? Like holy shit, no one has gotten out of their high school and fan fiction days, apparently.

SpeedOSanicRee

Gotta Scroll Fast
kiwifarms.net
:story: Oh wooooow lol.

God, has the literary world always been Mean Girls-levels of bitchiness and insanity? Like holy shit, no one has gotten out of their high school and fan fiction days, apparently.
I love how she calls people leaving her one-star reviews 'cyberbullies'. One of her books unrelated to the Cocker Brothers series had a rash of one-star reviews a year or two ago and she said 'please ignore all one-star reviews after May 4, as they are from cyber-bullying.' Lady, I'm pretty sure a one-star review is a small price to pay for threatening other writers for daring to use a VERY COMMON romance trope word (cocky) and the same generic stock photos as you. THAT is real bullying, get over yourself. The people before you who started the trend didn't try suing.

This is a decent article over it.

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
kiwifarms.net
I love how she calls people leaving her one-star reviews 'cyberbullies'. One of her books unrelated to the Cocker Brothers series had a rash of one-star reviews a year or two ago and she said 'please ignore all one-star reviews after May 4, as they are from cyber-bullying.' Lady, I'm pretty sure a one-star review is a small price to pay for threatening other writers for daring to use a VERY COMMON romance trope word (cocky) and the same generic stock photos as you. THAT is real bullying, get over yourself. The people before you who started the trend didn't try suing.

This is a decent article over it.
Oof, that call-out at the end :story:. This is fucking amazing, like I thought the shitstorm over "candy" potentially being copyrighted was insane, but this is almost unbelievable. I don't wish to get involved in this community whatsoever, but the drama that comes from it is classic. This is what literature was made for lmao.

SpeedOSanicRee

Gotta Scroll Fast
kiwifarms.net
Oof, that call-out at the end :story:. This is fucking amazing, like I thought the shitstorm over "candy" potentially being copyrighted was insane, but this is almost unbelievable. I don't wish to get involved in this community whatsoever, but the drama that comes from it is classic. This is what literature was made for lmao.
Honestly, this is one of the most interesting pieces of drama to happen in a long time, particularly in an adult-oriented genre. This went beyond even the YA sphere of mostly wokeness gone off the deep end. This drama seems to go further than a bunch of screeching SJWs.

I will say though, of the two genres to have drama, YA and romance are the first two I'd expect it from.

Cheetahman

kiwifarms.net
Someone needs to write a YA version of the whole drama and self-publish it.

I'd buy.
"We're truly sorry, comrade, but due to severely negative International Messaging Head Quarters responses from your delta readers, we cannot publish your book, The Life and Times of Juniper Woodwood."
"But I followed all the guidelines!" Angelina Dindu pleaded, her dreadlocks rattling as she shook her head. "Look! I've got six gay couples, seventeen transgender men, two transgender women, an intersex person, five lesbians, a queer youth, a pedophile, and a tribe of three-spirited Aboriginals all coming together in harmony as they travel life's journey!"
"That's it?" the editor sneered. "Where is your five-spirited Aboriginal? Where is your transfruit avacadokin? Why does Juniper Woodwood only have sixty-eight headmates? Your novel, though well-written and polished, is clearly lacking in correctness. Did you even bother to hire postrigger sensitivity readers?"
"Of course I did," she sulked. "I hired four."
"Then you clearly did not bother to heed any of their strong and beautiful criticism. Besides, what kind of name is Woodwood? Is this some sort of mockery of the rich nomenclature of the savage noble race?"
"The name is a translation. Part of Juniper's struggle is how despite her stigmatized upbringing, she gains friends of all kinds and comes to live through it all."
"Oh, so now you're claiming to be appropriating a fictional linguioculture to spin your work? Disgusting. Off to the googlag with you."

SpeedOSanicRee

Gotta Scroll Fast
kiwifarms.net
A while ago Comics and Diversity did a hot take on Blood Heir

'When they destroy one thing, they don't even really enjoy it, they just move on to the next thing to destroy.' That right there basically sums it up. These people are fucking toddlers. That is literally something a toddler does. They break things just to break them. The difference is that toddlers don't know any better.

SpeedOSanicRee

Gotta Scroll Fast
kiwifarms.net
It was mentioned earlier in the thread that one of the people who originally went after Zhao had the same mob turn against her, which is why she deactivated her twitter:

Should they even be surprised that the mob turned against them as well?
I don't even know where to begin here. I like how OP is all about essentially demanding that librarians include books from these authors who killed a woman's career before she even got to have one in their selection, but they 'don't have the bandwidth' to add one more name to their list. All I see from that is 'oh, we don't like that person and therefore they don't get to be a part of this'. Who is that other person anyway? CT Callahan? I don't recognize the name.

ATaxingWoman

Professional Tax Investigator
kiwifarms.net
It was mentioned earlier in the thread that one of the people who originally went after Zhao had the same mob turn against her, which is why she deactivated her twitter:

Should they even be surprised that the mob turned against them as well?
It was quite hilarious witnessing the reactions on woke Twitter when Ellen Oh deleted her Twitter and that other author protected hers because they had been receiving threats. They were all talking about the importance of supporting strong independent WOC and diversity.

Oh really? So where were these people when Amélie When Zao was getting dog-piled on for reasons pulled out of a bunch of dumbfuck reviewers' arses? The answer is that a lot of them (such as in the case of the two authors) participated in the harassment.

SpeedOSanicRee

Gotta Scroll Fast
kiwifarms.net
Despite the histrionics on Twitter trying to burn her book, Zhao just made this post.

View attachment 741280
I'm glad she came to her senses. I went to see the original tweet. Interesting how there's nothing but support in the replies now. I wonder if this means the outrage mob doesn't know yet, or if they're keeping it to their own pages.

The woman who helped start the pile-on is back on it already. Since Ellen Oh left Twitter, this is the best I got for now.

Again? This is the first time I'm seeing anything about this, and it's from someone who has a history of making pretty far-fetched claims about this poor woman and blocking anyone asking for proof.

My biggest disappointment about this is that nobody's replied yet. I guess everyone's afraid of getting blocked. That's the main reason I didn't. I kinda want to see what shit she likes to freak out about (her 50 page tests were an interesting study into social justice as a mental illness). Can't do that if I'm blocked.

EDIT: I just rechecked her original tweet. I missed the part where she'd strongly implied that Zhao was stalking people who didn't like her book.

Last edited:
M

MW 002

kiwifarms.net
I'm glad she came to her senses. I went to see the original tweet. Interesting how there's nothing but support in the replies now. I wonder if this means the outrage mob doesn't know yet, or if they're keeping it to their own pages.

The woman who helped start the pile-on is back on it already. Since Ellen Oh left Twitter, this is the best I got for now.
View attachment 741577
Again? This is the first time I'm seeing anything about this, and it's from someone who has a history of making pretty far-fetched claims about this poor woman and blocking anyone asking for proof.

My biggest disappointment about this is that nobody's replied yet. I guess everyone's afraid of getting blocked. That's the main reason I didn't. I kinda want to see what shit she likes to freak out about (her 50 page tests were an interesting study into social justice as a mental illness). Can't do that if I'm blocked.

EDIT: I just rechecked her original tweet. I missed the part where she'd strongly implied that Zhao was stalking people who didn't like her book.
Speaking of, this comment here is hilarious:

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino