The Latest YA Twitter Pile On Forces a Rising Star to Self-Cancel -

AnOminous

I'm not mad at anyone, honest.
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
social media is going to be our downfall, honestly, and these writers would be so much better off just stepping away. i also wonder, why do none of these "sjw" types write their own books according to their own standards? or is that giving them too much credit?
I hope the novelty of every moron on the planet being able to screech about autistic bullshit nobody cares about finally wears off and people just ignore these people like they did before they were on the Internet, like they would any idiot lunatic babbling about bullshit to nobody on a subway or wandering the streets in a haze yelling at garbage cans.

Next Task

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Another shit Storm is brewing
There's a certain weaselly way of instigating this sort of thing, as well, that is used here. The person who doesn't go in full attack mode first, but instead says something like, 'I don't know, I'm not sure about this, how does this seem to everyone else? Is it just me?'

You see it a lot in these sorts of call-outs because it is mostly from women. The intent becomes clear when you see the pattern; behind the faux-dithering and neutral-sounding words, they are absolutely pointing out something they want to get attacked while maintaining plausible deniability. Individually, the comments seem innocent - they're not suggesting anything, they're just pointing something out. At worst, they claim to have been concerned that they were reading too much into things, that they were seeing bigotry that was never there.

Except with these people, it's always there. No-one in their cliques ever looks and says, 'Actually, you might be overreacting here,' at least not anyone who gets listened to. So a lot of these call-outs are like throwing a piece of meat, and then pointing out to a pack of ravenous wolves that, hey, that substance over there looks very meat-like. And then acting surprised at the inevitable results, and distressed and innocent if someone tries to connect their actions with the ensuing pile-on.

It can't be true for every instance of this ever happening. But this particular tweet, and many like it, are intentionally manipulative and insidious in how they start the trouble while keeping their hands clean. And the people who do it regularly are definitely the ones to watch out for.

SpeedOSanicRee

Gotta Scroll Fast
kiwifarms.net
if you just ignore it, then you've really lost nothing. there's an entire audience that doesn't care about drama or are just unaware
I feel like the people who really matter, the ones who will read your book for enjoyment and not read it just to find things to screech about on Twitter, are the ones you should care about. The people who don't give a shit what's going on and will read regardless are the most likely to enjoy a book that is perfect in every way except whatever the Twitter mob deems problematic.
There's a certain weaselly way of instigating this sort of thing, as well, that is used here. The person who doesn't go in full attack mode first, but instead says something like, 'I don't know, I'm not sure about this, how does this seem to everyone else? Is it just me?'

You see it a lot in these sorts of call-outs because it is mostly from women. The intent becomes clear when you see the pattern; behind the faux-dithering and neutral-sounding words, they are absolutely pointing out something they want to get attacked while maintaining plausible deniability. Individually, the comments seem innocent - they're not suggesting anything, they're just pointing something out. At worst, they claim to have been concerned that they were reading too much into things, that they were seeing bigotry that was never there.

Except with these people, it's always there. No-one in their cliques ever looks and says, 'Actually, you might be overreacting here,' at least not anyone who gets listened to. So a lot of these call-outs are like throwing a piece of meat, and then pointing out to a pack of ravenous wolves that, hey, that substance over there looks very meat-like. And then acting surprised at the inevitable results, and distressed and innocent if someone tries to connect their actions with the ensuing pile-on.

It can't be true for every instance of this ever happening. But this particular tweet, and many like it, are intentionally manipulative and insidious in how they start the trouble while keeping their hands clean. And the people who do it regularly are definitely the ones to watch out for.
It's an endless cycle. You will never please these people and the more you try the angrier they get. Plus, folding to them shows them you'll do what you can to please them and then you become their bitch. And of course they're snakes so they will take full advantage.

Last edited:

AnOminous

I'm not mad at anyone, honest.
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I feel like the people who really matter, the ones who will read your book for enjoyment and not read it just to find things to screech about on Twitter, are the ones you should care about. The people who don't give a shit what's going on and will read regardless are the most likely to enjoy a book that is perfectly in every way except whatever the Twitter mob deems problematic.

It's an endless cycle. You will never please these people and the more you try the angrier they get. Plus, folding to them shows them you'll do what you can to please them and then you become their bitch. And of course they're snakes so they will take full advantage.
The problem is there's a handful of companies that control entry to shelf space and they're all completely under the thumb of these shitsucking ghouls. This kind of gatekeeping issue is what attracts SJW scum. They want niche industries where they can turn the spigot on and off.

Mola Ram

Self Righteous Ego Bastard Asshole
kiwifarms.net
The problem is there's a handful of companies that control entry to shelf space and they're all completely under the thumb of these shitsucking ghouls. This kind of gatekeeping issue is what attracts SJW scum. They want niche industries where they can turn the spigot on and off.
That's precisely what's turned Marvel (and increasingly DC) into absolute garbage. It's why I fear this isn't going to stay in YA; it's an industry trend, God knows why.

M

MW 002

kiwifarms.net
What they probably don’t realize is that most of these histrionic gatekeepers aren’t usually content creators themselves, and as such don’t have much of a leg to stand on in terms of what is/isn’t marketable. They don’t know anything about writing stories that are entertaining to the masses since if you tried to get them to write characters- they can’t write GOOD characters. To write good characters requires some empathy. Empathy is what most of these literary monsters lack.

Salubrious

Feelin' Healthy
kiwifarms.net
Another shit Storm is brewing
I don't even understand what her complaint is.

The entire point of the word "brother" is to signal that it is a story about a transgender person and the author/narrator/protagonist's story about watching a sibling transition and how it affects both the transgender person and the family.

If the title was "My Sister's name is Jessica", then nobody would know what the hell the book was about. The entire point of using the words "brother" and "Jessica" is the juxtaposition to immediately signal to the audience what the book is about.

Edit: Then again, I just realized that she complained that the cisgender person was the protagonist at all, so maybe I'm simply reading too much into it. It wasn't enough for the subject matter of the book to be about the transgender person.

SpeedOSanicRee

Gotta Scroll Fast
kiwifarms.net
Edit: Then again, I just realized that she complained that the cisgender person was the protagonist at all, so maybe I'm simply reading too much into it. It wasn't enough for the subject matter of the book to be about the transgender person.
It feels like this is entitlement. I know the LGBT community can be entitled, but it's still ridiculous that they're saying this. If the book comes out and it's clear the main character hates their trans sibling, that's one thing. But at least you have a trans character at all. If you DON'T write one, it's 'erasure' but if you DO, they MUST BE the MAIN CHARACTER or you're a horrible person.

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
kiwifarms.net
It feels like this is entitlement. I know the LGBT community can be entitled, but it's still ridiculous that they're saying this. If the book comes out and it's clear the main character hates their trans sibling, that's one thing. But at least you have a trans character at all. If you DON'T write one, it's 'erasure' but if you DO, they MUST BE the MAIN CHARACTER or you're a horrible person.
Even then, it doesn't automatically guarantee they'll like them if they're not the right kind of main character or however the fuck they expect people to write transpeople. Hell, they'll probably hate that cisgender people will dare to write about transpeople to begin with because how would you know how it feels like to be trans if you're not trans yourself? How dare you try to put yourself in someone else's shoes for other people's entertainment and for your paycheck, you capitalist pig!

SpeedOSanicRee

Gotta Scroll Fast
kiwifarms.net
Even then, it doesn't automatically guarantee they'll like them if they're not the right kind of main character or however the fuck they expect people to write transpeople. Hell, they'll probably hate that cisgender people will dare to write about transpeople to begin with because how would you know how it feels like to be trans if you're not trans yourself? How dare you try to put yourself in someone else's shoes for other people's entertainment and for your paycheck, you capitalist pig!
Well, yeah. These are the same people who got mad at Scarlett Johansson for doing what she's paid to do and act because she wasn't trans. And then got pissy because Ruby Rose got hired to play a lesbian and since she's 'gender fluid' she isn't ALWAYS a lesbian, but a straight man and therefore shouldn't be allowed to play one. You can't ever please these people and it's a waste to even try.

Tasty Tatty

kiwifarms.net
That's precisely what's turned Marvel (and increasingly DC) into absolute garbage. It's why I fear this isn't going to stay in YA; it's an industry trend, God knows why.
It's not going to spread to other media from YA. It has already spread TO Young Adult from other media: videogames, movies, tv shows, and so on.

The good thing it's that YA is such a "meh" genre when you compare it to the other monsters that it will stay here and kill the genre fast rather than spread. When this happens in movies or video games, people protest. Here? Nobody will protest, so it will go full terminal cancer and die without chemo.

Fashy Airship

Baron's Aircrew
kiwifarms.net
The "YA Community" really is toxic, and probably deserves a thread in the community watch.

I'm an aspiring writer, and without wanting to be accused of shedding "white male tears", sometimes it does feel like white guys are getting overlooked in the search for diverse writers. Nearly all of the twitter pitch events are aimed at diversity, I can only think of two which are open to all. Plus there's the utter intolerance to any view which aren't their own - I'm no avid Trump supporter, but I'd be just as reluctant to associate with someone who said "all Hillary supporters should be punched." Most of the agents who I'm interested in are usually closed to submissions when I'm in a pitching mood, or state they're "especially looking for diverse voices." It should be all about the story, not the skin color of who wrote it.

(Maybe my story is shit and the literary agents would bin it, but there's so few chances for them to actually get to see it that it's hard to know....)

The MG (approx 8-12) writers' community is largely more friendly and story focused, so as my story doesn't need teenage themes to work, I really am tempted to shorten it a bit, and tone down some of the scary themes.
Well as an author I can tell you the golden age of openly white authors making a splash is well and truly over and has been for years now. Just taking a look at the stock book cover art is was POC so much you'd think the only White people were in a museum.

Puddleduck

kiwifarms.net
When in doubt, just accuse someone of being a racist if they point out the elephant in the room: https://mobile.twitter.com/adiba_j/status/1117095052424224768

Who would’ve thought that woke fiction doesn’t sell very well because most people like reading fantasy stories so they can get away from real life problems?
"Doors are pushed firmly against POC"

That nonsense again. Have they seen the publishing industry recently?

SpeedOSanicRee

Gotta Scroll Fast
kiwifarms.net
"Doors are pushed firmly against POC"

That nonsense again. Have they seen the publishing industry recently?
I noticed that too. Like, not everything is out to be oppressive. POC have way more opportunities now, and for the most part have more leeway than wypipo because they're oppressed and calling them out will make them feel MORE oppressed. I think if you went to most of the more 'woke' editors, they'd probably be harder on your work if you're white.

Puddleduck

kiwifarms.net
I noticed that too. Like, not everything is out to be oppressive. POC have way more opportunities now, and for the most part have more leeway than wypipo because they're oppressed and calling them out will make them feel MORE oppressed. I think if you went to most of the more 'woke' editors, they'd probably be harder on your work if you're white.
There are agents who are only (or "especially") looking for works by POC or LGBT people. Now I am LGBT, but I just wouldn't feel right working that into a pitch. Plus, it doesn't come into my stories at all and I'm not any sort of activist, so I'm probably not the right kind of gay.

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
kiwifarms.net
It's just stupid. It should be all about how good the story is. Decades down the line, people can only go by what's on the pages of the book, not the melanin content of the writer's skin and what genitals they have.
Unfortunately, these people whining about the (right) lack of representation in books just don't love the medium or else the publishing world wouldn't be in this mess. They're probably members of the Cliffnotes Club or whatever the fuck it is where they only read the Wikipedia page of a popular book and then pretend they actually read it, but they take it a step further and judge a book by the author's picture in the cover folds.

• Agree
Reactions: SpeedOSanicRee
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino