The Linux Thread - The Autist's OS of Choice

tehpope

privacytools.io | prism-break.org
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Hey Linux fags, post here!

I use Manjaro. Used to use Antergos but they shut the project down. I'm using Budge for my DM atm, but have used XFCE in the past.

Shoggoth

kiwifarms.net
>inb4 install gentoo
Please don't turn this into a *fetch thread
So explain to me the appeal of Manjaro / Arch? Why shouldn't I use something like Gentoo or Nix?
But I won't admit I'm some power user, I just use OpenSuse Leap with KDE desktop and am happy with it.
Became dissatisfied with WMs when I realized I just work in a fullscreen Emacs most of the time anyway.
Think it's a good idea to gear the OP towards beginners who want to try Linux?

RavenCrow

It's only gay if the balls touch.
kiwifarms.net
>zero game support
why do people use linux exactly?
I play an array of different games on linux with no problem, and have good results. Obviously takes 3rd party software to get them going.

I prefer linux just because I like how it works better than windows.

Elementary OS is what I've stuck with for awhile. Love the Pantheon desktop.
opkopopk.png

MAPK phosphatase

Cell Death Regulator
kiwifarms.net
>inb4 install gentoo
So explain to me the appeal of Manjaro / Arch? Why shouldn't I use something like Gentoo or Nix?
But I won't admit I'm some power user, I just use OpenSuse Leap with KDE desktop and am happy with it.
Became dissatisfied with WMs when I realized I just work in a fullscreen Emacs most of the time anyway.
I tried a number of distros, from Gentoo, to Debian, to Fedora, to Void. Manjaro has given me the fewest problems on my setup and at my level of knowledge. Many people who use Arch fetishize being on the bleeding edge which plays a big part in why people use it, but there's also the degree of customization, the community (the wiki is seriously great) and the fact that when you do encounter a problem you can fix it rather than just crossing your fingers and praying to the Microsoft Gods. I exaggerate but having to fix both Linux and windows problems it can certainly feel that way. Manjaro is just Arch but you get to cheat.
You shouldn't use Gentoo or Nix if you're comfortable with OpenSuse Leap + KDE. One of the driving factors for using Linux is the fact that you can use what you want and aren't beholden to some higher power telling you what you need to use.
Install Gentoo is just a meme. Gentoo is good for minimal setups, giving old hardware new life, when you want to guarantee everything is open source, or when you want peak customization. But everyone knows the real reason to install it is to have a bigger open source dick than the Arch people.

Feline Supremacist

I am a Dog-Exclusionary Radical Felinist
kiwifarms.net
I use Lubuntu on my old Intel and PPC macs, I have a Windows 7 desktop with Peppermint on an old SATA drive. I also keep an old P3 I found in the trash some years ago running Win 2000/Puppy.

Shoggoth

kiwifarms.net
I tried a number of distros, from Gentoo, to Debian, to Fedora, to Void. Manjaro has given me the fewest problems on my setup and at my level of knowledge. Many people who use Arch fetishize being on the bleeding edge which plays a big part in why people use it, but there's also the degree of customization, the community (the wiki is seriously great) and the fact that when you do encounter a problem you can fix it rather than just crossing your fingers and praying to the Microsoft Gods. I exaggerate but having to fix both Linux and windows problems it can certainly feel that way. Manjaro is just Arch but you get to cheat.
You shouldn't use Gentoo or Nix if you're comfortable with OpenSuse Leap + KDE. One of the driving factors for using Linux is the fact that you can use what you want and aren't beholden to some higher power telling you what you need to use.
Install Gentoo is just a meme. Gentoo is good for minimal setups, giving old hardware new life, when you want to guarantee everything is open source, or when you want peak customization. But everyone knows the real reason to install it is to have a bigger open source dick than the Arch people.
If I want bleeding edge, why won't I use Tumbleweed?
>zero game support
why do people use linux exactly?
Come on, things are way better now, especially with steam proton

• Agree
Reactions: Wannock

MAPK phosphatase

Cell Death Regulator
kiwifarms.net
If I want bleeding edge, why won't I use Tumbleweed?
I'm not telling you why you should use Arch, I'm telling you reasons I've heard for why people who use arch use arch. If you don't accept those as reasons for why you should use Arch that's perfectly fine, I'm not going to argue.

Machinist

kiwifarms.net
I have an arch install. i3wm for maximum productivity. Won't say it's the absolute best distro but the bare bones start has given me a pretty good look inside how many linux distros work. Anyone else like using overly complicated shit for no good reason?

tehpope

privacytools.io | prism-break.org
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
>inb4 install gentoo
Application selection is great and near bleeding edge.

AmpleApricots

kiwifarms.net
I've been using Gentoo for I think about 15 years (?) now. After uneasy times after the cooler DOS days with the 9x stuff and some alternative stuff (BeOS anyone?) I tried here and there I finally wanted to get away from XP because I felt I wasn't owning my computer anymore with that OS. (little did I know about the horrors of what was to come then) I tried other Linux distributions first, but they had shitty installation scripts and default kernels that would fail on my machine then for various reasons, leaving me completely clueless of what just happened. (I knew nothing about Linux then) Gentoo didn't have tons of hand holding during the installation like they did, but a big installation manual to tell you how to do everything yourself in detail.

I've used other distributions here and there but coming from Gentoo and it's excellent use-flags and way to introduce your own patches into a package (things that only really work well on source-based distros) I found them all to be too inflexible and not giving me enough control over what I have on my computer and running things my way. I also don't feel like being at the whim of package maintainers, and in recent years, the cancer that Red Hat is spreading in FOSS. Gentoo was always good about keeping that stuff out or at least giving you tons of possibilities to whip up your own ebuilds and solutions. In the beginning stuff could break out of nowhere sometimes (and Gentoo also was in a crisis for a while) but in recent years it has been smooth sailing and computers got fast enough that compilation times can be pretty much ignored now, even on (then) low-end, 6+ year old machines. I also only use lightweight, more classical software and avoid bloat where I can. I also don't have stuff like systemd, udev, the various *kits etc. on my systems, that keeps configuration easy.

My window manager when I use X11 is FVWM, I tried tiling ones but I never could get used to them and while maybe efficient, I just find them kinda ugly.

I've been looking at OpenBSD in recent years because I really like their philosophy but their ports collection feels inferior to portage. This got longer than I wanted it to.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino