The Linux Thread - The Autist's OS of Choice

werkK

kiwifarms.net
whats a good filemanager that is not shit and can be used with any desktop environment? nautilus is too basic for my taste

Horrors of the Deep

kiwifarms.net
whats a good filemanager that is not shit and can be used with any desktop environment? nautilus is too basic for my taste
Every file manager can be used within every desktop environment. I use Dolphin (qt based), check it out if you don't mind mixing Qt and GTK together.

ducktales4gameboy

git branch -d giant_boobs
kiwifarms.net
Debian all the time for me, sometimes kali too. Linux is where the daemons and bash scripts live.

I kind of want to branch out though and get an actual Linux desktop going (or at least start using remote x sessions to do GUI stuff). Might check out Manjaro, it sounds interesting. Anyone happen to know if it supports GPU hypervisor passthrough? Some of the distros i’ve looked at have weird issues with that and/or zero documentation and i’d really like to set up a little sandbox for screwing around with machine learning at some point.

Slaundromat

kiwifarms.net
How's the stability?
Fine. I've never had problems over close to two years of use across multiple machines. Technically you're supposed to check the RSS feed for problems before updating, but I never bother. I have seen some broken AUR packages, though.
What I like about Arch is that it starts out as pretty much a blank slate, which means I know exactly what is on my system. I could get the same elsewhere, but with pacman and the AUR I can get all the packages I want without any hassle.

Reactions: Yotsubaaa

a_lurker

kiwifarms.net
screenshot.png

Work laptop, *Ackshually* its Xubuntu.
Stuck with it entirely out of convenience/stability/laziness, may wind up eventually tipping over to fedora at some point.

anybody got any recommendations for a tool for monitoring/keeping up to bandwidth usage for metered connections? I know its supposed to be a thing in gnome sometime in the near future. I've rigged up a script here and there to keep an eye on things and kill off a few things that use bandwidth that can wait till later, but an actual thing that someone built with a gui that didn't require me to think would be cool.

Fedora is best distro, fight me on this. Pro tip: you can't.
pro tip? I see what you did there

I use arch and the chad KDE.
I haven't liked KDE since KDE3.
KDE4 at launch was pretty, but buggy and ran like ass. Now it runs fairly well, but its inconsistent. quite a bit of stuff from kde3 and earlier kde4 still hasn't been ported over to get along with qt5. Maybe in another 6 months i'll give it a go.

I also enjoy Debian when fucking around with hosting, or Fedora. I'm liking yum a lot more than apt.
I thought yum was getting killed off in favor of duke nukem forever (dnf)
dnf basically works like apt the last time i played with fedora.
The big reason i stopped using fedora core 5 or 6 (its been a while) is because RPM sucked ass with handling dependencies, though fedora 27 (the last time i ran fedora) seemed to be ok.

pcmanfm. Its not exactly pretty, but it'll curb stomp babbys first file manager.

Last edited:

CrunkLord420

not a financial adviser
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I use pcmanfm if I want a GUI (usually because I want a thumbnail preview). To be completely honest I've not found a file manager I actually really like.

Reactions: werkK

Jeromeo

diapercore
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1001070

Work laptop, *Ackshually* its Xubuntu.
Stuck with it entirely out of convenience/stability/laziness, may wind up eventually tipping over to fedora at some point.

anybody got any recommendations for a tool for monitoring/keeping up to bandwidth usage for metered connections? I know its supposed to be a thing in gnome sometime in the near future. I've rigged up a script here and there to keep an eye on things and kill off a few things that use bandwidth that can wait till later, but an actual thing that someone built with a gui that didn't require me to think would be cool.

pro tip? I see what you did there

I haven't liked KDE since KDE3.
KDE4 at launch was pretty, but buggy and ran like ass. Now it runs fairly well, but its inconsistent. quite a bit of stuff from kde3 and earlier kde4 still hasn't been ported over to get along with qt5. Maybe in another 6 months i'll give it a go.

I thought yum was getting killed off in favor of duke nukem forever (dnf)
dnf basically works like apt the last time i played with fedora.
The big reason i stopped using fedora core 5 or 6 (its been a while) is because RPM sucked ass with handling dependencies, though fedora 27 (the last time i ran fedora) seemed to be ok.

pcmanfm. Its not exactly pretty, but it'll curb stomp babbys first file manager.
What programs haven't been ported over to qt5? Tbh I have had zero issues with plasma.

a_lurker

kiwifarms.net
What programs haven't been ported over to qt5? Tbh I have had zero issues with plasma.
Can't remember off hand, it was a few different less commonly used ones. There may have been newer replacements or something under different names. It's been a couple years since I last tried it.

edit- just found a status page on porting progress.

i remember ktorrent wasnt, and some of the kde pim stuff hadn't been moved over yet at the time. It looks like they're chugging right along. May have to go grab neon and look at all the new shiny stuff.

Last edited:

ArnoldPalmer

kiwifarms.net
Linux Mint Cinnamon does everything I could really want. I don't like that it uses Canonical's software as a base, but whatever, I'll live. Very few complaints.

DNA_JACKED

kiwifarms.net
Linux mint cinnamon. I enjoy tinkering with linux, but never have gotten it to a point where I would be happy with it full time as my main OS. I do enjoy using it on my media PC and will eventually use it for my fileserver as well, unless I dip my toes into redhat.

Friendly_AI

kiwifarms.net
My very first build was Ubuntu, but I never actually used it, because wifi drivers how do they work. It was my first and only (for now) attempt to install any Linux system without help.

Since then I've tried Mint cinnamon, Debian, now it's Arch on a laptop and Manjaro with xfce for PC. Can't say I have a deep understanding of any distro, but as a user I can say mint failed me a lot with videocard glitches, so anything after that was a breath of fresh air.

Dual boot/virtual box with Windows helps with games, obviously, and proofreading anything that needs to be sent out to Windows users, since formatting can be broken in transition between LibreOffice and Microsoft Office. Getting to decide when and what you want to update is also a very nice benefit of unix systems, can't go back after trying that out.

Wingus Dongshire

kiwifarms.net
I use centos for headless servers
Debian for headless servers when I get tired of RPM's horseshit
I bounce wildly between Kubuntu, Fedora, OpenSUSE, and Antergos for desktop. I guess I should try Manjaro, since Antergos is fucking dead.

Desktop environment varies depending on what I want out of it, GNOME3 is satan, MATE is good, KDE is so-so, xfce4 is good for SOCs and lightweight applications
I'm not on the Wayland train because I can't be fucked to learn another window manager
As much as I hate systemd as far as adhering to *nix philosophy, I still appreciate its convenience

3119967d0c

رنج آمریکایی ها
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
the chad KDE.
By the 'chad KDE' you mean Trinity, the continuation KDE3 project, right?

Generally just use awesomewm and whatever is the most appropriate application for my desktop. Use Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint in various places. They all work fine, I guess. Have contemplated switching to Devuan to get away from the systemd cancer but unsure as to whether whatever random stupid issues I will encounter in poorly written applications as a result will be worth it.

Reactions: Shoggoth

Shoggoth

kiwifarms.net
By the 'chad KDE' you mean Trinity, the continuation KDE3 project, right?

Generally just use awesomewm and whatever is the most appropriate application for my desktop. Use Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint in various places. They all work fine, I guess. Have contemplated switching to Devuan to get away from the systemd cancer but unsure as to whether whatever random stupid issues I will encounter in poorly written applications as a result will be worth it.
How bad is systemd, really?
I know it's ugly, ungainly, and the Pottering approach is grating at best. It's not "Unix philosophy", but Linux is not Unix.
Isn't it better to perhaps direct systemd's development to a better place instead of trying to ditch it?

Also, thoughts on KDE5 vs older versions? never had any "krashes" with it.
Have you tried fvwm2 as a wm?

yahooligan

MAX HEADSPACE 2020: MAKE GIFS GREAT AGAIN
kiwifarms.net
>zero game support
why do people use linux exactly?
Honestly, with the new Proton thing, the vast majority of my Steam games play on Linux with no tinkering whatsoever.

I love XFCE. Classic design philosophy, on the lighter side of weight. Reminds me of the good ol' Win2k days.

AmpleApricots

kiwifarms.net
Isn't it better to perhaps direct systemd's development to a better place instead of trying to ditch it?
That's a good joke. Poettering et al even reject valid bug reports quite regularly. That thing is a freakshow and everything it does has been solved before. The only reason we're even talking about it now is because of Red Hats influence.

• Agree
Reactions: 3119967d0c
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino