The Linux Thread - The Autist's OS of Choice

Dick Justice

Where have all the cowdogs gone?
True & Honest Fan
What's the best distro and desktop environment for a touchscreen based system? Wayland's the shit for that kind of thing, but it's kind of shit how few DEs seem to support it.

NumberingYourState

REAL MEN Fuck Up
True & Honest Fan
It may not work if there's no image especially for the 400. I tried Ubuntu on my 400 at first and I found it very slow and clunky. So I tried the Raspberry Pi 4 version of Ubuntu Mate and it wouldn't boot at all. That being said, I would wager Twister is based on Raspberry Pi OS given that it's 32-bit only so it may install without a hitch.

I ended up flashing Raspberry Pi OS Lite and installing Mate and a login manager on top of it. If Twister doesn't work for you I'd be happy to post all the terminal commands you need to enter in order to help you out. Just let me know. It's not that complicated. The upside to this is you end up with a much faster and usable system, I started using it for most of my casual web browsing. The downside is you have to manually install everything and you have to uninstall some packages that come with Pi OS Lite to get wifi and bluetooth working.

Manjaro ARM booted on my Pi 400, but did not support dual monitors when I tried it, so it may not be a viable alternative. It is also very buggy.

If Twister doesn't work and you don't want to fuck around with command line, Raspberry Pi OS with desktop is probably your best bet.

I also highly recommend that you overclock your 400 to at least 2.0 ghz, because it has this big ass heat sink anyway. I have mine overclocked to 2.2 and it doesn't even get warm.

Looks like my 400 delivered today! FedEx gets a star for now. Booted into TwisterOS without a problem. I read around and apparently Kodi can get finnicky? I think the latest patch fixed that, but I gotta try it. I was caught up in familiarizing myself with LibreOffice and other such preinstalled stuff. The YouTube playback is only ever bearable if you don't run in full window or full screen. The acceleration extension preinstalled is alright, it just does not solve glaring problems.

I've come to understand that the Linux community at large has been infested with rancid, limpwristed bugmen and dangerhairs since quite some time ago. It's a shame, since I'd like to utilize a good and functional Linux OS that isn't being maintained by putrescent intersectionalists.

Is there any such OS that, to your knowledge, doesn't involve such people that you fine people could recommend?

Never Scored

True & Honest Fan
I've come to understand that the Linux community at large has been infested with rancid, limpwristed bugmen and dangerhairs since quite some time ago. It's a shame, since I'd like to utilize a good and functional Linux OS that isn't being maintained by putrescent intersectionalists.

Is there any such OS that, to your knowledge, doesn't involve such people that you fine people could recommend?

Open BSD

Never Scored

True & Honest Fan
Unless something has changed over the last year or so, the fellow who created and is the primary maintainer of this particular version of BSD has actively rebuked the sorts of codes of conducts that FreeBSD and Linux has. Full disclosure, I use Linux and not BSD. I'm just trying to point you toward what you're asking for.

Reverend

Interesting! It looks very bare-bones; only the necessities are applied, and there is a strong emphasis on security. I like it! Why, pray tell, are you so certain that the developers differ from their soylent-chugging counterparts though? :)

Theo de Raat is like Linus Torvaldus only with no filter and rules OpenBSD with an iron spiked fist that is lit on fire by pure plutonium on stupidity and piss poor documentation.

My buddy ran an ISP off a single OpenBSD small system with no issue for years. Shit just WORKS with OpenBSD, if it doesn't, it's not part of any branch/install.

Unless something has changed over the last year or so, the fellow who created and is the primary maintainer of this particular version of BSD has actively rebuked the sorts of codes of conducts that FreeBSD and Linux has. Full disclosure, I use Linux and not BSD. I'm just trying to point you toward what you're asking for.
I like this Theo de Raadt already, yet I've now read up slightly on some criticism of the OpenBSD as best as I can understand them. I reckon no OS is free from bugs pertaining to security, and that much of it mostly revolves around the innate autism of programmers in general, yet I'm curious to know what brand of Linux you use, and why? It'd be interesting information for many reason, if not only for comparisons sake.
Theo de Raat is like Linus Torvaldus only with no filter and rules OpenBSD with an iron spiked fist that is lit on fire by pure plutonium on stupidity and piss poor documentation.

My buddy ran an ISP off a single OpenBSD small system with no issue for years. Shit just WORKS with OpenBSD, if it doesn't, it's not part of any branch/install.
He sounds quite based indeed. Perhaps this is a common trait in many white people who grow up in South Africa? I wonder what happened to Linus Torvalds for him to fold so completely in regards to the insane Terms of Conduct that was put forward in the Linux community some years ago, by the way, given his history of being anything but a pushover? Regardless, I think I'll give OpenBSD a try!

The biggest problem with OpenBSD is - if you didn't buy your Hardware with it in mind, chances are some of your stuff will not work with it and what is supported is never supported quite completely so expect things like more inefficiency, higher power consumption for the same usage scenario etc.. If you remember that time, think the difference between Windows and Linux in the early 00s. That's where OpenBSDs Hardware support roughly is in comparison.

Also de Raadt sometimes gets strange autistic obsessions over certain topics and then it gets hard to convince him otherwise, which can lead to the OS suddenly and vastly changing between releases and things that worked before breaking. There's never as much as an apology uttered in such cases and you get to keep the pieces.

OpenBSD is good if you stick mostly to the base and the defaults. The farther you stray, the more you'll get in trouble. If you do stray, Ports is a comparable but IMHO inferior kind of gentoo's portage. Also it's often said that it's a lot better and more comprehensively documented than the kernel and the most commonly used userland software in the linux world and for a time I'm sure that was true but I wouldn't say it still is. Not saying that OpenBSD is bad (because it isn't) but as with most things in life, there are downsides. Oh also, if you are a long-time Linux user, expect some frustration over stuff that is a lot similar to Linux, but works differently in tiny and annoying ways.

Never Scored

True & Honest Fan
yet I'm curious to know what brand of Linux you use, and why? It'd be interesting information for many reason, if not only for comparisons sake.

I usually go for usability tbh, and usually for whatever reason the distros derived from Debian generally seem most usable. I would like to get into BSD or the base version of Arch but I have a full time job and kids so it's hard to find a lot of downtime to devote to such a venture. Even though he will capitulate on some things, I do not believe the Linux kernel will become unusable or insecure as long as Linus is alive. He still appears to be very meticulous about what is allowed into the kernel. I wouldn't doubt there's some kind of government back door that would allow them to override any security measures in a forensics lab, but I think such back doors are also present in all modern hardware anyway, and I can't see them being used against me for the high crimes of tv show piracy and occasionally posting a mildy spicy take.

On another topic, Beagle Board is producing a $150 Risc-V board that will run Linux. I don't know much about the company. Keep in mind even though Risc-V is open, it doesn't mean Beagle Board's board will be.

Last edited:

Reverend

I like this Theo de Raadt already, yet I've now read up slightly on some criticism of the OpenBSD as best as I can understand them. I reckon no OS is free from bugs pertaining to security, and that much of it mostly revolves around the innate autism of programmers in general, yet I'm curious to know what brand of Linux you use, and why? It'd be interesting information for many reason, if not only for comparisons sake.

He sounds quite based indeed. Perhaps this is a common trait in many white people who grow up in South Africa? I wonder what happened to Linus Torvalds for him to fold so completely in regards to the insane Terms of Conduct that was put forward in the Linux community some years ago, by the way, given his history of being anything but a pushover? Regardless, I think I'll give OpenBSD a try!

OpenBSD is as bug free as it can be as it relies on much older, stabler, and more documented packages with clear updates and build trees. If your code is shit you ain't getting into OpenBSD at all. This is meant to be as rock solid of a *NIX operating system as it gets.

I use all sorts of linux from Alpine to Clear to RHEL/CentOS to Ubuntu and Slackware. It all depends on the customers wants/needs and the project. Full fat server? RHEL. Docker container? Alpine is fine.

Theo wants his code to work, be stable, and secure and if you can't follow those rules you don't belong on his version of *NIX and go fuck off and build your own. It's his house, his rules, and people respect that.

Linus' daughter is an SJW dangerhair cunt who got her hooks into dad and he scurried off for a month after dropping the Code of Conduct on the Linux community.

He's still called out for being a cunt.

Also de Raadt sometimes gets strange autistic obsessions over certain topics and then it gets hard to convince him otherwise, which can lead to the OS suddenly and vastly changing between releases and things that worked before breaking. There's never as much as an apology uttered in such cases and you get to keep the pieces.
Just curious - got any specific example on hand? A link to some writeup or mailing list flamewar is sufficient.

Ponchik

the experiment didn't work
is theo the only based BDFL left in the *nix/foss scene? the only other one i can think of is patrick volkerding (the slackware guy) and he's always been pretty low key

Just curious - got any specific example on hand? A link to some writeup or mailing list flamewar is sufficient.
Oof good question re: flamewars and drama - His leave from NetBSD was not a friendly one to put it lightly and otherwise I only really know the old stories around ips and the drama with Bernstein's stuff, but these are ancient stories that have probably fallen off the net by now. If you're just looking for flamewars you could probably just google his name and "drama", I'm sure they're still going on, he's a very uh, opinionated person.

Regarding changes; There is the exclusion of processor features (hyperthreading) over security concerns, (although that one was toggleable iirc) removal of things like the Linux compatibility layer over security concerns, openssl vs. libressl, removal of basic programs like lynx from base over security concerns. I'm not even really saying he doesn't have a point with all of it or these were bad decisions, not at all, all I really meant is that changes can come in hard and quick and there's barely any recourse as he doesn't change his mind and you have to "buy" the full package pretty much, everything else doesn't make much sense.

Generally said, I actually like the fractured nature of Linux userland so many detest. It gives me maximum freedom, e.g. if the current developer of my cron deamon is a retard and does something stupid to it, I can pick another one without missing a beat. The Linux kernel is big and in the hand of corporates these days, it doesn't matter if Linus' daughter is a dangerhair, nor does it matter if there's a code of conduct, there will never be sudden, dramatic changes that are only some config options in the end nor will it go beyond usefulness. As distro I use gentoo which gives me a lot of tools to resist stupid decisions by the gentoo maintainers (there are quite a few) while still having the advantage of other people doing the bulk of the dependency and update tracking for me.

I also don't care if the people that make my software want all jews gassed or believe in 20 genders and have a pony headmate, if the software is good for my purposes, I'll use it. If not, I'll drop it. I am not a fan of codes of conduct and find the tranny behind it gross but I've been noticing that many people who care about such things that much do actually care very much what the people that make their software believe in ideologically, which strikes me as a bit of hypocritical to be honest. Also, Open Source was always in big parts politics and drama, none of that is really that new. Regarding security, nobody could ever vet all code running on their machine (which internals are often a big questionmark anyways) and can only make educated guesses, believing anything else is just lying to oneself.

I usually go for usability tbh, and usually for whatever reason the distros derived from Debian generally seem most usable. I would like to get into BSD or the base version of Arch but I have a full time job and kids so it's hard to find a lot of downtime to devote to such a venture. Even though he will capitulate on some things, I do not believe the Linux kernel will become unusable or insecure as long as Linus is alive. He still appears to be very meticulous about what is allowed into the kernel. I wouldn't doubt there's some kind of government back door that would allow them to override any security measures in a forensics lab, but I think such back doors are also present in all modern hardware anyway, and I can't see them being used against me for the high crimes of tv show piracy and occasionally posting a mildy spicy take.

On another topic, Beagle Board is producing a $150 Risc-V board that will run Linux. I don't know much about the company. Keep in mind even though Risc-V is open, it doesn't mean Beagle Board's board will be.
By watching the YouTube-channel DistroTube, I've come to understand that the base version of Arch is, as you say, time-consuming to get into, considering the many manual inputs you have to consistently insert. Nothing will function if you don't allow it, with the downside of you having to allow most thing which you want to run, leaving you little room to sit back and let stuff function autonomously. Have I gotten the gist of it right, or should I stop getting my information on these things from some YouTuber? :) Props for prioritizing your love for your family over your love of the binary code!

OpenBSD is as bug free as it can be as it relies on much older, stabler, and more documented packages with clear updates and build trees. If your code is shit you ain't getting into OpenBSD at all. This is meant to be as rock solid of a *NIX operating system as it gets.

I use all sorts of linux from Alpine to Clear to RHEL/CentOS to Ubuntu and Slackware. It all depends on the customers wants/needs and the project. Full fat server? RHEL. Docker container? Alpine is fine.

Theo wants his code to work, be stable, and secure and if you can't follow those rules you don't belong on his version of *NIX and go fuck off and build your own. It's his house, his rules, and people respect that.

Linus' daughter is an SJW dangerhair cunt who got her hooks into dad and he scurried off for a month after dropping the Code of Conduct on the Linux community.

He's still called out for being a cunt.
Aha, so you work in IT in some capacity? As a consultant or an explicit programmer or some such? :)

I didn't know that it was Torvald's daughter that was patient zero in that particular meltdown. How utterly dissappointing it must be for Linus, to have nursed the monster that ultimately brought his undoing by himself. I suppose one can only hope that he will return to the scene in a grandiose manner and clean house, given his history of vocally calling out the kind of incompetency that the intersectionalists are known to vigorously endorse.

Yes. That's pretty much what's going on. Although TBH, the computer is pretty old ( built in 2010, win 7) , I'm just trying to make it last another year until I can afford the bits to build one that will play games made after 2014, LOL. I put the mint on to have another interface to access the internet after support ends for 7 (sharing data via a partition both OSs can access), but as stated, it's just been a bit wonky since. I'll probably just take it out for now, use the xubuntu to get my linux playtime and try again later.

That said, if anyone has some insight, I'd be open to suggestions.
Couldn't you just upgrade certain parts of the current machine, instead of a whole new thing?