The Linux Thread - The Autist's OS of Choice

He Who Points And Laughs

Flavortown Refugee
kiwifarms.net
Kali just released their latest, 2019.4. Major changes include a switch from Gnome to XFCE as the default environment, which includes a novelty theme switch utility to change the appearance from Kali to Windows in a couple of seconds (useful when in public). The grub and boot sequence has been also nicely skinned. Powershell has also been introduced to the ecosystem.

Here are the details

kali-undercover-1.gif

He Who Points And Laughs

Flavortown Refugee
kiwifarms.net
I use pcmanfm if I want a GUI (usually because I want a thumbnail preview). To be completely honest I've not found a file manager I actually really like.
Ranger is a file manager that runs in your terminal emulator, and has image previews built it either through w3m or urxvt. You can tune it to do everything you need, then just save your dot files for use on new installs.

CrunkLord420

not a financial adviser
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Windows Explorer.
Checkmate.
No joke I prefer it, just because it's UI is way more consistent than anything QT or GTK based.

Ranger is a file manager that runs in your terminal emulator, and has image previews built it either through w3m or urxvt. You can tune it to do everything you need, then just save your dot files for use on new installs.
I can't use any of these things (ranger, nnn, vifm). I'm just way too used to standard utiltiies. The image preview of ranger is highly inconsistent, yes, I've screwed with it. It also doesn't thumbnail, just preview.

Glad I couldn't help

Ohai!
kiwifarms.net
I like Dolphin (KDE Plasma's file manager) the best, feels very slick. Caja (MATE's FM) is pretty good as well, IMHO.

I wished Windows Explorer had a dual pane mode, it's okay otherwise.

The problem with terminal based file managers is that I feel like they aren't as good as using the shell for some things and they aren't good at other things than a GUI based file manager, so I think I would recommend just using the shell and a GUI FM on a case-by-case basis.

cecograph

kiwifarms.net
I like Dolphin (KDE Plasma's file manager) the best, feels very slick. Caja (MATE's FM) is pretty good as well, IMHO.

I wished Windows Explorer had a dual pane mode, it's okay otherwise.

The problem with terminal based file managers is that I feel like they aren't as good as using the shell for some things and they aren't good at other things than a GUI based file manager, so I think I would recommend just using the shell and a GUI FM on a case-by-case basis.
Just use Emacs for your file manager. It can run in the terminal or in an X screen.

Realise the truth: Linux is just some crappy layer that allows Emacs to talk to your hardware.

annoyingfuck

kiwifarms.net
whats a good filemanager that is not shit and can be used with any desktop environment? nautilus is too basic for my taste
Not sure if this counts as too basic as well, I've used Nemo on every single one of the distros, everything else has niggly little things I don't like, so I keep coming back to it.
In saying that MX also installs Midnight Commander, it's something I could get used to.

I seem to oscillate between Arch and Debian myself, for similar reasons.

Right now I'm currently running Debian Sid. I used to run Testing as a named non-rolling release that I'd upgrade every now and then, but got tired of getting fucked over by freeze. "Oh, you didn't fix this little bug in your package in time for hard freeze? Tough shit, you don't get to be included in the release packages anymore and now Yotsubaaa has to pull your package from Sid if she even wants to use it."

But as you said, even Sid isn't as current as you'd like it to be. So inevitably I'll get to a point where I say "Fuck it! If I'm doing this much source-compiling/configuring/doing all of this extra work to get stuff set up anyway, I'll just reinstall Arch." So that'll be an exhilarating weekend going back through the Arch Beginner's Install Guide (the ArchWiki has to be some of the best documentation ever, by the way), building exactly the system I want brick by brick, having fun messing around with window managers that I haven't tried yet and making the whole system tailored to my exact workflow.

And each time I reinstall Arch I get a bit better at it, but inevitably I'll fuck up a configuration or package installation somewhere. So I'll fix it. Then I'll do that again... and again... and eventually I'll get to a point where I say "Fuck it! I just want this shit to work on the first try, is that so hard? Screw this, I'm going back to Sid."

So I'll reinstall Debian. And the system won't feel as much like it's mine anymore, but soon the Stockholm syndrome will kick in and I stop caring. Until the next time I need to compile a package from source or go hunting through documentation to fix some weird problem I'm having. At which point my never-ending cycle of torment begins anew.
This is me.

I've been through, Ubuntu, Xbuntu, Manjaro, Mint, Arch, Debian, Arch, Opensuse, Deepin, Elementary, Debian, Opensuse, Arch, MX.

Then there is the swapping desktop enviros, gnome, kde, cinnamon, mate, xfce, kde, mate, deepin, xfce, cinnamon, mate, lxqt, xfce.

For anything windows I use kvm, I don't game so it suits me just fine.

Yes I have 'issues'. The longest I've stayed on a distro was using Opensuse, I think it was about six months last year. I found MX a few months ago and going through it it had a lot of the programs I installed time and time again, every distro I changed, so I thought fuck it, I'll give it a whirl. So far I have not had a single issue, I haven't had to reinstall it, I haven't had any problems with programs, using Alien I can convert anything that isn't in the MX or Debian repos it is seriously a true 'out of the box' distro.

Last edited:
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino