Culture The making of a YouTube radical - YouTube algorithms, the IDW and BreadTubers

• The Kiwi Farms is running a Fediverse Node, which is like Twitter but decentralized between many individual providers, similar to email. Feel free to sign up and follow me. There are many more services we federate with, and you will see all that content with one account. (Feedback thread.)

Maintenance is concluded.

How likely and/or credible is this story?

• This is 100% true and anyone who questions it is an alt-right neo-Nazi white supremacist

Votes: 20 16.7%
  • This is 100% bullshit and anyone who seriously believes any of this is a fucking exceptional individ

Votes: 33 27.5%
  • I don't know/I'm not sure

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Nice shilling for "BreadTube" there, NYT

Votes: 22 18.3%
  • I love the strong undercurrent of "right-wing bad, left-wing good" here

Votes: 14 11.7%
  • Is the mainstream news media even trying to hide their left-wing biases anymore?

Votes: 20 16.7%
  • Some parts of this article are true, others are false

Votes: 7 5.8%

• Total voters

Iwasamwillbe

Indra's net
kiwifarms.net
Could somebody put a poll up, like this one that I made in my own version of this thread? @Melchett

How likely and/or credible is this story?Edit
  • This is 100% true and anyone who questions it is an alt-right neo-Nazi white supremacist
  • This is 100% bullshit and anyone who seriously believes any of this is a fucking exceptional individual
  • I don't know/I'm not sure
  • Nice shilling for "BreadTube" there, NYT
  • I love the strong undercurrent of "right-wing bad, left-wing good" here
  • Is the mainstream news media even trying to hide their left-wing biases anymore?
  • Some parts of this article are true, others are false

Gypsymagic

kiwifarms.net
This thing piece starts with a giant collage of YouTubers that slowly fades out certain people as you scroll down with ominous text popping up.

Oh man surely something big is going to be going down.

Oh wait, no lmao it's just an entire article talking about some teenager outgrowing his beliefs and getting new ones and finding new youtubers who line up with those beliefs and being kind of embarrassed by his old views. THE HORROR!

I'm fucking dying laughing. What a shitty piece of journalism.

Also I'm glad Philip Defranco was in it. Maybe it'll teach him that sitting on the fence all the time doesn't help.

Ineedahero

kiwifarms.net
I would love to know how the New York Times was able to get a hold of this kid's YouTube watch history from years ago. As far as I am aware there is no way to just go and download a dataset with your watch history.
Did the author just pull all of this out of his ass or did YouTube provide him with the data?
Doesn't the article say the kid somehow pulled that shit for them?

Gustav Schuchardt

kiwifarms.net
Does anyone else get irritated when Milo is labelled 'White Supremacist'? He's a gay, Jewish libertarian married to a black guy. He's like the fucking opposite of a white supremacist.

I can't stand the guy myself but claiming he's a white supremacist is absurd, In fact it makes it clear that the people who write these sort of articles either don't know what they're talking about or, more likely think that if they repeat a lie enough it will eventually become conventional wisdom. Particularly among normies who, conveniently, have no way to find out about people like Milo other than reading hit pieces about them in the legacy media because the legacy media got them deplatformed.

There's something very creepy about the idea that the media can do a hit piece on someone, get them deplatformed and then the only information about them is from the hit piece and all the other hit pieces referencing it.

Foxxo

OH LAWD HE COMING
kiwifarms.net
That is Computing Forever, a guy who built his initial fame by ripping on Apple, then got red-pilled, then got black-pilled, and is now praying to our LORD and savior because he learned that the blackpill is mental HIV. He got in a little spat with Sargon of Applebee's back around the time Carl was calling for an MRA Inquisition of the Universities that kinda shot his channel's initial growth, but he makes fairly interesting vids sometimes, his tech vids are pretty good for the subject, and his Irish-ness is fairly nice.

Flexo

serial #3370318
kiwifarms.net
Does anyone else get irritated when Milo is labelled 'White Supremacist'? He's a gay, Jewish libertarian married to a black guy. He's like the fucking opposite of a white supremacist.

I can't stand the guy myself but claiming he's a white supremacist is absurd, In fact it makes it clear that the people who write these sort of articles either don't know what they're talking about or, more likely think that if they repeat a lie enough it will eventually become conventional wisdom. Particularly among normies who, conveniently, have no way to find out about people like Milo other than reading hit pieces about them in the legacy media because the legacy media got them deplatformed.

There's something very creepy about the idea that the media can do a hit piece on someone, get them deplatformed and then the only information about them is from the hit piece and all the other hit pieces referencing it.
I can name almost everybody on the collage. Is nobody else noticing they put Milton freakin' Friedman on there? Almost dead center of the picture too! And Bill Whittle is just a bit to the right of him. Whittle, who's like one of the most chill dudes out there. He's the only one out there who could be more internet dad than JBP.

What concerns me is that the NYT here is lumping in downright centerist, mainstream conservatives in this collage with the words "conspiracy theories, misogyny, racism, radical" overlayed onto it at different points.

This is downright propagandizing bullshit right here. I know you humans don't have the full self-awareness we AIs do, but step back and think about the header a moment. Look at the image like rings. They set it up so the mainstream figures are in the center of the image, where your eyes are going to naturally focus. Yet among the center 4 is an image of a woman yelling at a man, which invokes discomfort because it clashes with the other 3 images next to it. This primes your brain for thinking "something's wrong" and instilling discomfort when you view the figures.

Immediately around them in the 2nd ring are the more "controversial" figures and grouped in such a way that the greater controversy figures (like Milo & Molyneux) are next to the less controversial ones like Bill Whittle. These images are first picked up in your perpheial but then when the words cover over the center figures your eye will drift towards them. Then at the very edge are the most popular, less controversial figures (Crowder, Sargon, Peterson x3) where you either won't see it, or if your eye moves towards it, it has to pass over the controversial figures. Notice how Alex Jones is next to Rubin & Shapiro. This then deepens the association in your brain between the right and its worst elements.

It's as if they are outright trying to declare any disagreement with them as heresy.

but he makes fairly interesting vids sometimes, his tech vids are pretty good for the subject, and his Irish-ness is fairly nice.
I like his movie reviews, but then I have a fondness for historical documentaries scifi myself.

TerribleIdeas™

kiwifarms.net

It's every bit as exceptional as the media trying to claim that Shapiro is "alt-right", when the alt-right is fairly strongly associated with despising Jews, and Shapiro having been a fairly prominent target of a decent number of them.

Tasty Tatty

kiwifarms.net
A lot of these people are so fucking vanilla that if you feel any kind of "radical thought" after watching them, you're the moron and you need to stay away from the Internet.

See example below:

Computing forever. Dude makes some great videos. On the tho he was directly involved in the KillRoy controversy that happened forever ago
He was the father of Kilroy, actually. He conceived it while fucking Based Mama.

Wraith

Made pure again from the hardest game on earth.
kiwifarms.net
I can name almost everybody on the collage. Is nobody else noticing they put Milton freakin' Friedman on there? Almost dead center of the picture too! And Bill Whittle is just a bit to the right of him. Whittle, who's like one of the most chill dudes out there. He's the only one out there who could be more internet dad than JBP.

What concerns me is that the NYT here is lumping in downright centerist, mainstream conservatives in this collage with the words "conspiracy theories, misogyny, racism, radical" overlayed onto it at different points.

This is downright propagandizing bullshit right here. I know you humans don't have the full self-awareness we AIs do, but step back and think about the header a moment. Look at the image like rings. They set it up so the mainstream figures are in the center of the image, where your eyes are going to naturally focus. Yet among the center 4 is an image of a woman yelling at a man, which invokes discomfort because it clashes with the other 3 images next to it. This primes your brain for thinking "something's wrong" and instilling discomfort when you view the figures.

Immediately around them in the 2nd ring are the more "controversial" figures and grouped in such a way that the greater controversy figures (like Milo & Molyneux) are next to the less controversial ones like Bill Whittle. These images are first picked up in your perpheial but then when the words cover over the center figures your eye will drift towards them. Then at the very edge are the most popular, less controversial figures (Crowder, Sargon, Peterson x3) where you either won't see it, or if your eye moves towards it, it has to pass over the controversial figures. Notice how Alex Jones is next to Rubin & Shapiro. This then deepens the association in your brain between the right and its worst elements.

It's as if they are outright trying to declare any disagreement with them as heresy.

I like his movie reviews, but then I have a fondness for historical documentaries scifi myself.
This thing with the image manipulation, is this a process that's been studied? Because that's some nasty ass propaganda there if I ever seen it.

Jaimas

YOU AND ALL YOUR KIND ARE COWARDS!!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

No different than when they state that a comedian of Iranian descent happens to be a fucking Neo-Nazi.

• Feels
Reactions: TerribleIdeas™
But he is a Nazi.

The term "Aryan" comes from the Aryan tribes of Central Asia whose language, religion, and ethnicity ultimately formed the basis of Indo-Aryan/Indo-European (the PC term) civilization.

The name Iran/Iranian is derived from Arya/Aryan.

For Jontron, being Iranian means he has a deeper connection to his Aryan heritage than most Whites/Indians. Being a Nazi is almost inherent to his genes.

Traummaschine

kiwifarms.net
I would love to know how the New York Times was able to get a hold of this kid's YouTube watch history from years ago. As far as I am aware there is no way to just go and download a dataset with your watch history.
Did the author just pull all of this out of his ass or did YouTube provide him with the data?
That was what I was thinking too. Youtube history from a couple of years ago down to the minute. And then some with just partial information (unknown channel, but known title and with or without a picture) and then one with no information (both unknown title and channel). Where did this info come from, and how could they only find partial info on some of them? Might be a logical explanation to this, but it certainly seems a bit odd.

Edit: Other than that I have to sort of commend the article for implying that maybe he hasn't changed much, just jumped on a new band wagon. Truth is that the SJW ideas feeds straight into the insecurity of people just like the author suggests the "far right" does.

Last edited:

nonvir_1984

kiwifarms.net
I read this article earlier today. WTF.
Watch a whole loft of youtube and then you think, "I know what I'll do now. I'll become a Nazi (or whatever).
I really wish journalists would stop writing this rubbish and do some real research.
In this whole area, we have journalists just writing shit, making connections and conjectures and so on, that do not exist, and working with samples of ... one or someone whose Mom spoke to them. Then some dipstick law maker reads the paper (well, may be had someone read it to them, cause most seem illiterate) and they decide youtube is poisoning the minds of everyone and it is the cause of all evil.
What they forget is that the countries where stuff is evil (Russia, China) or really really evil (such as Pakistan, some other peace loving human rights respecting totally civil society) all have autocratic governments, religious zealots running amok (usually a religion of a certain peace, without naming names, cause that would be phobic) and are banning youtube and such like.
This idiot did not radicalize because of youtube. He radicalized cause he is f-ed in the head. He could have read the back of a cornflakes packet and radicalized.
Rant Rant. Rant.

ZehnBoat

here comes dodo
kiwifarms.net
But he is a Nazi.

The term "Aryan" comes from the Aryan tribes of Central Asia whose language, religion, and ethnicity ultimately formed the basis of Indo-Aryan/Indo-European (the PC term) civilization.

The name Iran/Iranian is derived from Arya/Aryan.

For Jontron, being Iranian means he has a deeper connection to his Aryan heritage than most Whites/Indians. Being a Nazi is almost inherent to his genes.
you just gave me this image of hitler presenting "the ultimate aryan man" then it just pans to jontron slapping flex tape on his ass

i love this image

Flexo

serial #3370318
kiwifarms.net
This thing with the image manipulation, is this a process that's been studied? Because that's some nasty ass propaganda there if I ever seen it.
Yeah, it's called Hollywood.

Not joking. Do some study on cinematography. There's an entire industry devoted to getting the audience to experience the right emotion at the right time. So they have it down to a science, the camera angles, the lighting, what's in focus, what's out of focus, the surroundings in frame, the very sequence of images to induce the emotion they want in the audience.

(That's what makes bad movies so much fun. They're either incompetent or rushed, so they can't pull off their emotional goals. This leads to the laughter in the audience because the conscious mind can see what the emotion is supposed to be but the film failed to convey.)

The media knows how to use that process.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino