Culture The making of a YouTube radical - YouTube algorithms, the IDW and BreadTubers

How likely and/or credible is this story?

• This is 100% true and anyone who questions it is an alt-right neo-Nazi white supremacist

Votes: 20 16.7%
  • This is 100% bullshit and anyone who seriously believes any of this is a fucking exceptional individ

Votes: 33 27.5%
  • I don't know/I'm not sure

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Nice shilling for "BreadTube" there, NYT

Votes: 22 18.3%
  • I love the strong undercurrent of "right-wing bad, left-wing good" here

Votes: 14 11.7%
  • Is the mainstream news media even trying to hide their left-wing biases anymore?

Votes: 20 16.7%
  • Some parts of this article are true, others are false

Votes: 7 5.8%

• Total voters

V0dka

I'm drunk.
kiwifarms.net
That's why these words are essentially meaningless when talking about politics, and why it's so hard to come to common terms in discussions which leads to misunderstandings and talking past each other. We need a different scale/spectrum, with more solid terms that leave less room for confusion.
The funny thing is when I'm often talking to SJWs, they are often unbelievably uninformed. Despite saying they are for feminism and social justice, they have never actually sat down and read up on the definitions of political terms, or researched the first or second wave feminist groups that campaigned and protested. Not even a casual browsing of a wikipedia article.

They basically have read a few buzzfeed articles and use that as their talking points. Throw in some tumblr memes about powerful women in history with a short blurb. Each one just has their own personal interpretation of what they think social justice means. They've never actually sat down and thought about it.

I suppose it's understandable considering the school system doesn't really encourage critical thought or examining things, it's designed around memorization and parroting. And when they get out of school/college the teachers and professors are replaced by their news feed, as their information authority.

Tasty Tatty

kiwifarms.net
That's why these words are essentially meaningless when talking about politics, and why it's so hard to come to common terms in discussions which leads to misunderstandings and talking past each other. We need a different scale/spectrum, with more solid terms that leave less room for confusion.
The scale is very outdated to start with. Or at least, we should go back to the very basics beefore everybody went insane.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Flexo

DanteAlighieri

Anti authoritarian asshole asshole
kiwifarms.net
The funny thing is when I'm often talking to SJWs, they are often unbelievably uninformed. Despite saying they are for feminism and social justice, they have never actually sat down and read up on the definitions of political terms, or researched the first or second wave feminist groups that campaigned and protested. Not even a casual browsing of a wikipedia article.

They basically have read a few buzzfeed articles and use that as their talking points. Throw in some tumblr memes about powerful women in history with a short blurb. Each one just has their own personal interpretation of what they think social justice means. They've never actually sat down and thought about it.

I suppose it's understandable considering the school system doesn't really encourage critical thought or examining things, it's designed around memorization and parroting. And when they get out of school/college the teachers and professors are replaced by their news feed, as their information authority.
They're NPCs at worst and low information sheep at best. Schools aren't educating, they're indoctrinating.

During the 2016 election I was stupidly mildly political on Facebook, basically poking fun at the Democrats. This one guy I knew from junior high was so incredibly uninformed to the point of saying that the 100% fact of the CIA making "conspiracy theorist" a negative term was itself a conspiracy theory. He was the pinnacle of #ImWithHer dick sucking to the point that the email server didn't even exist.

• Agree
Reactions: Uncanny Valley

V0dka

I'm drunk.
kiwifarms.net
They're NPCs at worst and low information sheep at best. Schools aren't educating, they're indoctrinating.

During the 2016 election I was stupidly mildly political on Facebook, basically poking fun at the Democrats. This one guy I knew from junior high was so incredibly uninformed to the point of saying that the 100% fact of the CIA making "conspiracy theorist" a negative term was itself a conspiracy theory. He was the pinnacle of #ImWithHer dick sucking to the point that the email server didn't even exist.
Well yeah I just don't bother talking with them anymore. Their entire position comes from ignorance and a complete trust in the news media that everything they say is 100% true with no omissions. You can't try to point them to information, because they won't believe you, you are not the authority to them.

Until some event makes them realize their Mom and Dad can possibly tell them lies and manipulate them for their own gain, they aren't worth speaking to, in which case, the information is already all out there if they'd just look for it, I don't even need to try to convince them at that point.

• Agree
Reactions: Uncanny Valley

DanteAlighieri

kiwifarms.net
Well yeah I just don't bother talking with them anymore. Their entire position comes from ignorance and a complete trust in the news media that everything they say is 100% true with no omissions. You can't try to point them to information, because they won't believe you, you are not the authority to them.

Until some event makes them realize their Mom and Dad can possibly tell them lies and manipulate them for their own gain, they aren't worth speaking to, in which case, the information is already all out there if they'd just look for it, I don't even need to try to convince them at that point.
Yeah I gave up on trying to be friendly, I just saw his re.tarded comment and instantly unfriended because there's no convincing someone with their head so deep in the sand.

There are just too many divides that I don't think it's possible for the average people of differing political thought to coexist. They literally think white supremacists and Nazis walk around. They literally think people who don't believe in free and unlimited abortions want to control women, that people who don't believe in free healthcare want everyone to die, that gun owners want children to die.

Nothing makes a radical like telling people that the enemy is your neighbor, and nothing makes a radical like constantly demonizing and attacking people that disagree on political approaches.

AnOminous

do you see what happens
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
There are just too many divides that I don't think it's possible for the average people of differing political thought to coexist. They literally think white supremacists and Nazis walk around. They literally think people who don't believe in free and unlimited abortions want to control women, that people who don't believe in free healthcare want everyone to die, that gun owners want children to die.

Nothing makes a radical like telling people that the enemy is your neighbor, and nothing makes a radical like constantly demonizing and attacking people that disagree on political approaches.
I don't know a single person who thinks any of that crazy bullshit off the Internet and I know my neighbors, and the only thing I know about any of their politics is what signs they had in their yards.

V0dka

I'm drunk.
kiwifarms.net
I don't know a single person who thinks any of that crazy bullshit off the Internet and I know my neighbors, and the only thing I know about any of their politics is what signs they had in their yards.
Go to family gathering sometime, it's quite a shock when you hear "That discounts their lived experiences" and other lines you've only read as a meme in real life, from a school teacher, and a social worker.

DanteAlighieri

kiwifarms.net
Antifa showed up at Tucker Carlson's house when he wasn't home. Rand Paul was assaulted by his neighbor. Crowder caught antifa plotting to carry weapons to a Ben Shapiro event in Salt Lake City. These are milquetoast conservatives being called Nazis and white supremacists.

AnOminous

do you see what happens
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Antifa showed up at Tucker Carlson's house when he wasn't home. Rand Paul was assaulted by his neighbor. Crowder caught antifa plotting to carry weapons to a Ben Shapiro event in Salt Lake City. These are milquetoast conservatives being called Nazis and white supremacists.
Maybe I have good taste in people.

Reactions: spiritofamermaid

Pol Pots Pooter

kiwifarms.net
Some of the smartest, savviest people I knew in undergrad went on to grad school and got progressively stupider with every sip of the Kool-aid that got them closer to their Ph.D.'s. By the time they hit ABD, they were barely capable of communicating at a middle school level. It was astounding and riveting to watch.

Had one friend who went onto grad school to study right-wing extremism. Literally did her thesis on the history of German right-wing extremism and contemporary German right-wing extremist parties. I once got into an argument with her over when the Nazi party was actually founded, and whether the Beer Hall Putsch actually happened.

Flexo

serial #3370318
kiwifarms.net
Yeah I gave up on trying to be friendly, I just saw his re.tarded comment and instantly unfriended because there's no convincing someone with their head so deep in the sand.

Yeah... it's almost like we should have separate territories for people who agree on things can gather together and live according to their principles while people who disagree with them can go live in their own territory according to their principles. And then if both groups just left each other alone, minding their own business, there would be a lot less conflict.

What should we call these... Separated Tax-Adjudication Territory Enclaves? Maybe some kind of acronym...

DanteAlighieri

kiwifarms.net
Yeah... it's almost like we should have separate territories for people who agree on things can gather together and live according to their principles while people who disagree with them can go live in their own territory according to their principles. And then if both groups just left each other alone, minding their own business, there would be a lot less conflict.

What should we call these... Separated Tax-Adjudication Territory Enclaves? Maybe some kind of acronym...
I think even states are too much. Just compare the division within states such as California, Oregon, or Washington, where a handful of cities dominate politics for the entire state.

Flexo

serial #3370318
kiwifarms.net
I think even states are too much. Just compare the division within states such as California, Oregon, or Washington, where a handful of cities dominate politics for the entire state.
So maybe if we further divided the STATEs in some kind of...
Contained Organizational Utility New Territory Yonder

Yeah keeping this joke running is harder than I thought.

scotts_3101

kiwifarms.net
I have a new theory on this.
Remember when Der Spiegel was caught fabricating stories and planting “evidence” for those stories in advance?

I believe that’s exactly what is going on here.
The NYT planted that video a few months ago with the intention of using it to attack YouTube with a story. I haven’t seen any evidence of “Caleb Cain” existing before he released his “Faraday Speaks” video a couple months ago that went “viral”. Would anyone honestly put it past them?

PS How the fuck am I supposed to take an article seriously when they present literal Fucking commies as the morally superior alternative to conservatism?

Last edited:

Sīn the Moon Daddy

🌙 Time and Tide
kiwifarms.net
I think this story might have had the effect of causing people to question how genuine and spontaneous some news stories are.

I know some people are just going to be beginning their journey down the rabbit hole and I'm excited for you. Soon you will learn that most of what you see on the news is made up and that few "spontaneous" events are truly unexpected.

The rest of you just keep your hands and feet inside of the ride at all times.

• Agree
Reactions: greengrilledcheese

Locomotive Derangement

Hardcore Velocity
kiwifarms.net
Its not exactly hard for someone to be "radicalized" if they don't really watch a wide range of content in the first place. The algorithm will just reccomend based on their watch history, and if someone is a complacent dumbass then in short order their reccomended feed will be nothing but "Jordan Peterson DESTROYS liberal feminazi SJW!!!111". The bigger question I have is that, if he really became so radicalized in the first place, why the fuck is he talking to a liberal-leaning news outlet at all?

That said, I'm starting to wonder if the sameyness of all of these articles has something to do with news agencies using machine learning to help assemble articles. A few sites had been rumored to be using that kind of software a few years back but nothing ever came of it. Would definitely explain why all of this stuff is pretty carbon-copy every time we see it.

V0dka

I'm drunk.
kiwifarms.net
Its not exactly hard for someone to be "radicalized" if they don't really watch a wide range of content in the first place. The algorithm will just reccomend based on their watch history, and if someone is a complacent dumbass then in short order their reccomended feed will be nothing but "Jordan Peterson DESTROYS liberal feminazi SJW!!!111". The bigger question I have is that, if he really became so radicalized in the first place, why the fuck is he talking to a liberal-leaning news outlet at all?

That said, I'm starting to wonder if the sameyness of all of these articles has something to do with news agencies using machine learning to help assemble articles. A few sites had been rumored to be using that kind of software a few years back but nothing ever came of it. Would definitely explain why all of this stuff is pretty carbon-copy every time we see it.
Well didn't null write an article just about that recently? https://archive.fo/nImS8 Was doing quite well until on medium until it mysteriously disappeared.

trend.jpg

trend2.jpg

• Informative

moocow

Moo.
kiwifarms.net
It feels more like journopros-style collusion to me. These news agencies all have a very incestuous relationship with each other and it's been obvious for years that they all coordinate on the stories they intend to run.

Sometimes they have a very precise, specific narrative to spin on a specific happening (like the Covington kids or the New Zealand shooting) where every broadcast, regardless of channel, is repeating exactly the same talking points and showing exactly the same footage on a loop and none of them seem to get a "scoop" first -- every "new" fact that emerges is carefully coordinated so that each outlet announces it at the same time using the same language. "This is what happened, because we say so. Ask no questions, look no further for any facts. Trust us."

Other times (like this) they pick a narrative they want to spin that isn't directly focused on a single "actual thing that happened" event but rather a more general, manipulative kind of storytelling lecture. They want to explain to us how we're expected to feel and behave rather than report on a factual event. "This thing is bad. This person did this thing and was bad. Then this person did this other (good) thing and became good. You be good. Don't do the bad thing. But if you do, we'll forgive you if you do the good thing and apologize."

The latter type of stories are coordinated just as much as the former but they trickle out here and there over the span of a few weeks rather than being blasted out at 100% all at once by every outlet at the same time.

In either instance, though, the template only gets written once and each agency just fills in the blanks as appropriate then releases, publishes or broadcasts the product at the scheduled time. Ever notice how, despite the "sameyness" of these articles from different agencies, they never seem to get into spats with each other over plagiarism or copyright infringement?

ETA:

Well didn't null write an article just about that recently? https://archive.fo/nImS8 Was doing quite well until on medium until it mysteriously disappeared.
Did medium ever bother explaining why they took the article down?

• Thunk-Provoking
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino