Culture The making of a YouTube radical - YouTube algorithms, the IDW and BreadTubers

How likely and/or credible is this story?

• This is 100% true and anyone who questions it is an alt-right neo-Nazi white supremacist

Votes: 20 16.7%
  • This is 100% bullshit and anyone who seriously believes any of this is a fucking exceptional individ

Votes: 33 27.5%
  • I don't know/I'm not sure

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Nice shilling for "BreadTube" there, NYT

Votes: 22 18.3%
  • I love the strong undercurrent of "right-wing bad, left-wing good" here

Votes: 14 11.7%
  • Is the mainstream news media even trying to hide their left-wing biases anymore?

Votes: 20 16.7%
  • Some parts of this article are true, others are false

Votes: 7 5.8%

• Total voters

Iceland Heavy

kiwifarms.net
I have a new theory on this.
Remember when Der Spiegel was caught fabricating stories and planting “evidence” for those stories in advance?View attachment 794260
I believe that’s exactly what is going on here.
The NYT planted that video a few months ago with the intention of using it to attack YouTube with a story. I haven’t seen any evidence of “Caleb Cain” existing before he released his “Faraday Speaks” video a couple months ago that went “viral”. Would anyone honestly put it past them?

PS How the fuck am I supposed to take an article seriously when they present literal Fucking commies as the morally superior alternative to conservatism?
At the very most, it's like the literal Nazi propaganda @Judge Holden linked. There's a very basic kernel of truth to it (some Hitler youth guy got killed by a bunch of commies; some guy had a bunch of alt-righters tell him to kys on Twitter) and everything else around it is made up out of whole cloth to further the narrative.

Ped Xing

!Bigfoot! sightings please call 908-314-7784
kiwifarms.net
At this point they should just turn Turk and see how much people want to pick on a Halal Bakery

Fat Pikachu

Is your privilege running? You better go check it!
kiwifarms.net
>"I bought this gun the day after I started getting death threats"
>reee what about muh mandatory waiting period reee

Locomotive Derangement

Hardcore Velocity
kiwifarms.net
It feels more like journopros-style collusion to me. These news agencies all have a very incestuous relationship with each other and it's been obvious for years that they all coordinate on the stories they intend to run.
I'm not fully convinced that these companies are capable of pulling something with that level of coordination off when they can barely function enough as it is. If they aren't using machine learning, then I suspect they all have a team of just-out-of-high-schoolers in the back assembling articles by copypaste and the egotistical fuckheads we see on social media are actualy the marketing team.

EDIT: New thought, its also possible they're all outsourced to a tiny handful of writers, kind of like the pop music industry.

Well didn't null write an article just about that recently? https://archive.fo/nImS8 Was doing quite well until on medium until it mysteriously disappeared.
I watch a pretty wide range of content and the algorithm doesn't seem to do this for me. If anything, it will reccomend me more conspiracy theory videos if I happen to click on one. I also don't buy that Youtube's lack of profitability is proof that its a tool of social manipulation. Like the rest of the Advertising field, its probably a massive Enron-sized scam that primarily makes money by frisking investors and pretending its worth something. I'm sure many if not most large businesses are teetering constantly on the brink of total insolvency due to the massive paychecks their executives collect. Why bother to take care of a company you just got hired into recently? Just repeat buzzwords at board meetings while absorbing as much cash as you can from it and move on to the next one in a few years.

Still pretty cowardly of Medium to remove the article though.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: spiritofamermaid

V0dka

I'm drunk.
kiwifarms.net
I'm sure many if not most large businesses are teetering constantly on the brink of total insolvency due to the massive paychecks their executives collect. Why bother to take care of a company you just got hired into recently? Just repeat buzzwords at board meetings while absorbing as much cash as you can from it and move on to the next one in a few years.
Because you still have to build a brand for people to trust. Otherwise companies would go bang to bust every six months so executives and shareholders could collect money. Consumers would become too skittish. They wouldn't spend money or believe anything any company or news outlet said. That's why it's still useful to have places like Buzzfeed and the like around. People will always have them in their newsfeeds. Even if it's losing money, you control the info that goes out, because it's a trusted brand. That's why EA bought Bioware and then replaced almost everyone and shovelled out shittier and shittier games and people still bought them, brand recognition, brand relationship with the consumer.

Locomotive Derangement

Hardcore Velocity
kiwifarms.net
Because you still have to build a brand for people to trust. Otherwise companies would go bang to bust every six months so executives and shareholders could collect money. Consumers would become too skittish. They wouldn't spend money or believe anything any company or news outlet said. That's why it's still useful to have places like Buzzfeed and the like around. People will always have them in their newsfeeds. Even if it's losing money, you control the info that goes out, because it's a trusted brand. That's why EA bought Bioware and then replaced almost everyone and shovelled out shittier and shittier games and people still bought them, brand recognition, brand relationship with the consumer.
From the way I understand it, companies are teetering on the edge but the executives can drip some cash they're been reaming from the company to keep its funds liquid if they want to keep things going. When a company does finally go bust, either things have gotten totally out of hand with debt, some guy decided to walk with a too-generous severance package, or the company is being deiliberately destroyed to collect what useful assets it has left. Its extremely annoying though that the best either of us can do is speculate based off rumors since we never get to see their books.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: spiritofamermaid

Wesley Willis

Rock over London, Burn down Chicago!
kiwifarms.net
I'm not fully convinced that these companies are capable of pulling something with that level of coordination off when they can barely function enough as it is. If they aren't using machine learning, then I suspect they all have a team of just-out-of-high-schoolers in the back assembling articles by copypaste and the egotistical fuckheads we see on social media are actualy the marketing team.

I don't think it's the companies as much as it the journalists themselves. No one likes or respects them these days, so they all hang in the same circles.

ex. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JournoList

pwnest injun

Management of Savagery
kiwifarms.net
Youtube is far and away the most democratic and meritocratic of all social media platforms. The [so called] left's issue with Youtube belies their underlying contempt for democracy and achievement. It is extremely worrisome.

• Agree
Reactions: scotts_3101

Locomotive Derangement

Hardcore Velocity
kiwifarms.net
I don't think it's the companies as much as it the journalists themselves. No one likes or respects them these days, so they all hang in the same circles.

ex. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JournoList
Hmm. Then my inevitable conclusion is that these people are the ones employing the cheap labor copypasting articles together. They don't even need to know how to learn to code for the machine learning angle, I bet its software that they can just purchase. They take credit for what the robot/slave did, and the corporation is too stupid to know any better.

Wesley Willis

Rock over London, Burn down Chicago!
kiwifarms.net
Hmm. Then my inevitable conclusion is that these people are the ones employing the cheap labor copypasting articles together. They don't even need to know how to learn to code for the machine learning angle, I bet its software that they can just purchase. They take credit for what the robot/slave did, and the corporation is too stupid to know any better.

They already use an optimization program to make sure their article headlines get the most clicks.

CitizenJane

Very naughty girl
kiwifarms.net
I just want to point out that Caleb Cain looks like a young Dustin Hoffman with the mumps. The lad definitely looks like the type that would shoot up a school, except I'm pretty sure Hebrew schools have excellent security.

I believe his story though, because anyone who spends a significant time watching videos by people like Colin Flaherty will not only come away with the impression that blacks are inferior, they will begin to question why we don't load them onto cruise ships and sink them at sea.

Sonork

kiwifarms.net
An interesting development. Our friend who was radicalised into a far right nazi by youtube and then deradicalised by contrapoints just retweeted something from someone who likes to talk about 'zionists' a fair bit implying that the recent attacks on oil tankers in the gulf is perhaps a conspiracy to get the United States to initiate war with Iran.

conspiracy theory.png

zionists.png

Spatula

delete your twitter.
kiwifarms.net
I was looking if this guy has a lolcow thread, to post my opinions on him.
His video is basically how almost every conservative youtuber described themselves as voting democrat and being liberal when young, but then suddenly x event happened and they 'woke up', except its the opposite sides.
His video is reading from a script. It's all an act. We also don't know anything about this guy.
My favorite parts of his video is "I found a youtuber called Destiny"
"I also stumbled to another youtuber Contra Points. Natalie spoke to me"
The fake cry when he watched the video of the NZ shooter, without shedding a single tear. He struggled so hard to make a single tear but with no avail... I guess you don't really care about the dead people do you Caleb?
I don't buy it for a second that this guy was ever an edgy alt righter.

The left is playing the conservative tactics, trying their success in the face of the 2020 election.
That's all it is.

Last edited:
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino