• "casting spells at me are you? that's risky business doing that to somebody like me. i have spirit guardians. the real kind. not ones that got conjured up in a video game."

The Mary Sue

Discussion in 'Community Watch' started by Yaoi Huntress Earth, Jul 24, 2015.

1. If you asked them, they'd probably go full hipster and claim they named it that ironically.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Koby_Fish

Koby_Fish The advice of the GALACTICALLY STUPID

kiwifarms.net
  2. They're "reclaiming" it. Allegedly, people only hate Mary Sues because they can't stand strong female characters, and the term Mary Sue is an insult used by men to denigrate the works of aspiring female authors and discourage them from going professional.

...at least, I don't know if the website uses that specific argument, but it's an argument that I've heard people make elsewhere and it makes sense if that was their line of reasoning.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Informative Informative x 2
    kiwifarms.net
  3. If it wasn't Columbus it would've been somebody else eventually.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Feels Feels x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  4. Yeah, reclaiming it, while ignoring that Marty Stu/Gary Stu is also a thing. Is TMS a wanna-be Kotaku, or is it the other way around?

I swear their reasoning is identical to 15 year old girls who write bad fanfic and then try to justify it. Are we sure TMS isn't staffed by a bunch of high school kids?

• Agree Agree x 2
    Koby_Fish

Koby_Fish The advice of the GALACTICALLY STUPID

kiwifarms.net
  5. Funny enough they ignore the biggest critics of Mary Sues back in the day were girls. Like if guys barely gave a shit about fanfiction.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    friedshrimp

friedshrimp 70s do

kiwifarms.net
  6. It's sort of fitting, considering that even as fake news sites go, TMS is one of the most hated and provably terrible clickbait sites in existence.

• Agree Agree x 13
    AnOminous

AnOminous joy in calamity and delight in disaster
    True & Honest Fan Retired Staff

kiwifarms.net
  7. And ignoring that, "in story", the Mary Sue characters often were anything BUT actually ~Strong Female Characters~. Plus they'd treat the canon female charas like complete shit, doing their best to portray the canon girls as useless or as bitches so their self-inserts could get the guy without any "interference".

• Agree Agree x 7
    WatchingAllOfYou

WatchingAllOfYou Ceiling Cat is my soulmate

kiwifarms.net
  8. Yeah, a Mary Sue was essentially so amazing and so frail and weak that people did everything for her anyways. The whole point of the Mary Sue is that they're 'too good for this world' and they need to be protected. Doesn't help that they always have powers and said powers are always some deviation of Deus Ex Machina.

Also hard to reclaim a word that never meant anything good and was never even meant to insult females due to their gender, even back in the women-are-second-class-citizens days (The aforementioned Gary Stu was a thing since Mary was).

Getting back on-topic, the Kotaku comparison was apt since they seem just as inept and irrelevant, except Kotaku doesn't have a self-insulting name (discounting the smearing they did on the word 'Kotaku').

I'm not letting this go. It's like going to a website call 'I Hate Jews Central' for your political news.

• Winner Winner x 2
    Star Stuff

Star Stuff The darker the night, the brighter the stars.

kiwifarms.net
  9. Can we get off for Leif Erickson day?

Hinga dinga durgen.

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • DRINK DRINK x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    Meowthkip

Meowthkip I MAKE MONEY OFF OF THE LASAGNA I EAT!
    Staff Member Moderator True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  10. All white people are problematic and oppressive. No exceptions (except for when it suits us).

• Feels Feels x 4
    kiwifarms.net
  11. The term itself was coined by a woman too, who was sick of the already present archetype in early Star Trek Fanfiction.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Feels Feels x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  12. Star Trek also spawned the Chakat.

Jean Luc Picard giveth and Jean Luc Picard taketh.

• Feels Feels x 5
    Hiragana

Hiragana Drunk, High Aqua Teenatic

kiwifarms.net
  13. That was also the ST Fandom. And Chakats are the mary fucking sues of furrys, which is saying something.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • DRINK DRINK x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  14. Just how much bad fanfiction is there out there for actual terms to appear describing certain elements?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  15. Well, you can start here

Or here

Or here

And mind you, these are only the main repositories that still exist. God knows how much terrible writing was lost in hardcopy fanzines, or when geocities went away.

You're very innocent.

• Agree Agree x 5
    neverendingmidi

neverendingmidi it just goes on and on and on and on...

kiwifarms.net
  16. you forgot wattpad. theres a one direction fanfic that has about 40 million reads or so. i cant tell you the quality of it, but thats because i wanna stay away from those types of fanfics

• Feels Feels x 2
    Deadwaste

Deadwaste GOD DAMNED BASTARDOUS CHILD

kiwifarms.net
  17. It was probably the one Guru Larry read for the Fanfiction.net in a nutshell vid.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    CWCissey

CWCissey Charming Man
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  18. https://www.themarysue.com/death-still-in-theaters/ The writers getting angry about a trailer for a vigilante action remake starring Bruce Willis.
    Reason 1 because of the recent shooting in Las Vegas bad timing i guess.Reason 2 because it features a white vigilante killing people and that is just horrible someone should have hired Denzel for the remake.No reason along the lines of we don't need another remake of a movie that's been remade in some form 10 times already which to be honest would be a valid point.
    Because apparently the reason why some nut gunned down 58 folks in Las Vegas is because there are too many movies featuring lone heroes killing people and not feeling sorry for that.Never mind the fact that so far no one has cleared up exactly why and how and whether the guy had any help.What the cops themselves have said has been so lacking in detail even experts in the field are baffled so maybe drawing conclusions about the event is a bit too early.
    Even funnier is that the movie hasn't even come out yet its still just a trailer so drawing conclusions about it is a bit premature especially since trailers leave out a lot of stuff.

• Feels Feels x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  19. THEY. ARE. CHURCH MOMS.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    Meowthkip

Meowthkip I MAKE MONEY OFF OF THE LASAGNA I EAT!
    Staff Member Moderator True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  20. I'm so glad I'm not into this fake social justice bullshit. It would be such a miserable existence to completely rely on others to tell me which entertainment is okay and which is problematic instead of making my own decisions.

• Agree Agree x 6
    kiwifarms.net
  • About Us

Founded as the CWCki Forums, and originally dedicated to Christian Weston Chandler, the Kiwi Farms is about eccentrics on the Internet. These people are commonly referred to as Lolcows and are fascinating for reasons distinct to each spectator. We document the phenomenon, with every member bringing different perspectives and opinions to discussion. It is this diversity which has caused our peculiar community to thrive.

• Hashes/s 0
    Total 0
    Threads 0
    Activity  0% 

We run a Monero miner on the Kiwi Farms. Understand that by visiting this website, you will be contributing some of your computational resources to it in the form of mining a cryptocurrency. More information can be found here.

thx u n i love you ~ null

Copyright © 2016 Lolcow LLC
This website may contain offensive or adult content.
Discontinue browsing if it is illegal or against your wishes to see such material.
All content belongs to their respective authors and does not represent Lolcow LLC.
We have not been served any secret court orders and are not under any gag orders.