The music of the 2010s. - Best decade in music ever amirite?

W00K #17

Welcome to the party bitch
kiwifarms.net
With the last month of the decade underway I thought it would be a good time to talk about it's music.

What were some of your favorite artists, albums, and songs?

How about the artists, albums, and songs you couldnt stand?

What were the best or most memorable concerts and music festivals you attended?

What are some of the most memorable events and pop culture happenings from the music industry this decade in your mind?

What will you miss about music of the 2010s?

What trends or things did you simply not like about the music industry this decade?

Etc.

Sweatnuts

total sperg
kiwifarms.net
This decade was the decade that I finally realized 5FDP is pretty shit. Like every other retard that got into harder noises in music, 5FDP was that first stepping stone into the genre. Their latest few albums are just derivative noise that I can't stand at all, but young teen me in 2014 thought it was the greatest thing ever.

Marco Fucko

I fantasized about this back in Chicago
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Things I like about the 10s:
Death Grips
Synthwave
Hardwired to Self Destruct
School Shooter/Negative XP
Meme rap
Songs that sound happy but are about being depressed

Things I hate about the 10s:
LULU
The extremely generic pop/rock assembly (Imagine Dragons, Katy Perry, etc.), although every era has its version of this
Bro country. It's like country but somehow even worse.

That's all that comes to mind off the top of my head.

Papa Adolfo's Take'n'Bake

It's screamin' good.
kiwifarms.net
Favs? Melophobia Cage The Elephant, Wintergatan - Wintergatan, Plastic Beach - Gorillaz , Celebration Rock - Japandroids, and Sing it Ugly - Those Poor Bastards

overall the Brostep/EDM scene of the early 2010's really annoyed the tar out of me. "Dropping the bass" got old waayyyy sooner than people thought it did. As did the simplistic composition of such music that arose thereafter.

a_lurker

kiwifarms.net
This decade was the decade that I finally realized 5FDP is pretty shit. Like every other exceptional individual that got into harder noises in music, 5FDP was that first stepping stone into the genre. Their latest few albums are just derivative noise that I can't stand at all, but young teen me in 2014 thought it was the greatest thing ever.
...did you at least continue down the rabbit hole? Have you hit cannibal corpse yet?

In the past I wrote them off as a meme, but now have a respect for them, still not one of my favorites, but metal has proven to be a vibrant, bottomless pit of interesting bands.

5fdp knows their "type" and will play the tune they wanna hear forever. Nothing wrong with that, but if you're looking for new and interesting they can't scratch that itch.

Hatebreed (#1 motivational speaker metal band!) is kind of the same.

Last edited:

Captain Manning

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
+1 for Synthwave.

I also think we saw some really good symphonic metal. Nightwish took on Floor in 2012, and she's the best vocalist they've ever had.

Also, 2010 was the year when Lindsay Sterling showed up on America's Got Talent. Sharon Osborne is full of shit, and Lindsay proved it.

Most super popular songs are crap, as per usual.

In B4 "you like faggy music."

Captain Manning

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You dug your own grave bud
But since it appears I'm on really different internet than the average joe, is Sterling a big thing? I know she has live shows and stuff, but so do plenty of people, so I got no way to judge.

She's way more popular than any so-called professional musician or critic gave her a chance of being. Piers Morgan even had to eat crow years later on Twitter. She's Platinum on YouTube.

I could GAF about her live shows. I just dig most of her music and her optimistic spunk. She's not my favorite musician, but the thread topic asked for notable music events of the 2010s. She's also cute.

Some of her covers are "meh," but that's because the originals are meh. Her original compositions are often better.

Oh, and obviously you have to like violin. Otherwise, forget it.

verissimus

kiwifarms.net
I'll miss practically nothing outside things like the soundtrack for Bloodborne, Doom (2016), Dark Souls, Far Cry Blood Dragon and a handful of other examples.

Sweatnuts

total sperg
kiwifarms.net
...did you at least continue down the rabbit hole? Have you hit cannibal corpse yet?

In the past I wrote them off as a meme, but now have a respect for them, still not one of my favorites, but metal has proven to be a vibrant, bottomless pit of interesting bands.

5fdp knows their "type" and will play the tune they wanna hear forever. Nothing wrong with that, but if you're looking for new and interesting they can't scratch that itch.

Hatebreed (#1 motivational speaker metal band!) is kind of the same.
Yeah, I found a collection of artists that have everything I want

Syaoran Li

Manager of the Goth IHOP
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Generally, I don't like the music of the 2010's.

There are exceptions, of course. Love me some Future Funk.

As a fan of disco, Future Funk is probably the best thing to ever come out of this otherwise miserable decade.

W00K #17

Welcome to the party bitch
kiwifarms.net
You dug your own grave bud
But since it appears I'm on really different internet than the average joe, is Sterling a big thing? I know she has live shows and stuff, but so do plenty of people, so I got no way to judge.

I saw her at the behest of friends a couple years ago and was thoroughly bored stiff. The music was nothing special for me, but the ticket was free because another friend whom actually wanted to go had to drop out. I'm not sure what she charges for a ticket as I didnt ask, but I wouldn't pay for it myself.

She wasnt terrible or anything, just kinda "meh" I guess. Once you get past the novelty of a chick playing violin over edm noise you kinda start to think ok so that's cool but is this music actually soulful and interesting? For me it was a no.

The "violin + edm beeps" thing really comes across as more of gimmick than it does a vehicle for genuinely engaging, quality music to me.

That's just like my opinion though, man.

ETA: keep in mind that EDM isn't really my thing in general so my opinion on it should be taken with a grain of salt. Someone more into the genre might totally dig her sound.

Last edited:

Shoggoth

kiwifarms.net
I saw her at the behest of friends a couple years ago and was thoroughly bored stiff. The music was nothing special for me, but the ticket was free because another friend whom actually wanted to go had to drop out. I'm not sure what she charges for a ticket as I didnt ask, but I wouldn't pay for it myself.

She wasnt terrible or anything, just kinda "meh" I guess. Once you get past the novelty of a chick playing violin over edm noise you kinda start to think ok so that's cool but is this music actually soulful and interesting? For me it was a no.

The "violin + edm beeps" thing really comes across as more of gimmick than it does a vehicle for genuinely engaging, quality music to me.

That's just like my opinion though, man.
It's just another product. a "manic pixie dream girl" but in a wholesome package because she's a qt mormon who looks like an elf if you don't look close enough to notice she's caked with makeup and might actually look like a goblin. She performs with playback, the music and choreography are mediocre, so in toto, basic bitch music for women.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
With every Western pop song I happen to hear from Current Year, it seems the ones with female singers all sound "hip-hop," and all the ones with male singers sound like "cucked soy songs."

Captain Manning

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It wasn't a criticism of you, don't be so prickly. Musicals are better IMO. Pretty gay, but very well executed and composed. Which ones?

1776, Les Miserables ("One Day More" is a great song), The King and I (Yul Brynner is awesome). Just to name a few.

This is 120% my mom's fault, BTW.

Hell you can even count things like the original Blues Brothers as a pseudo-musical. That movie is timeless.

Muttnik

To the stars!
kiwifarms.net
This decade's worth of generic pop music makes me want to be dead. Worked retail while I was finishing up school and the same shit would loop on the radio for eons. It made you feel like you were slowly losing your mind.

I know shitty music exists in every decade but it feels like it gets worse and worse the more it goes on.