The Mysterious Mr. Enter / Jonathan Rozanski's "Growing Around" - IndieGoGo Campaign Failed, John going off the deep end

OmnipotentStupidity

Bleeding Money at Breakneck Speeds
kiwifarms.net
That said, he once said on stream that he's playing a character when he does his reviews, so I guess you can't get mad at him personally. Rather, it's his idea of an entertaining review show that's disappointing.
I will never understand why YouTubers who constantly find themselves in the pit of controversy and pure unbridled autism will immediately use the excuse that "I'm just playing a a character/I'm just doing a bit, it's not like I'm actually like that in real life".

There's a couple things wrong with this:

1. It's the Internet: all people have to go off of when it comes to judging people is whatever the individual in question decides to put out there. If you're playing a character 95% of the time with no tell as to where the character ends and where the "real you" begins, then people are going to see that as who you actually are. Why wouldn't they? If you act that way 24/7, on your social media or otherwise, it might as well be the "real you" to others. That's all you present yourself as. If you're going to use that excuse for basic social interaction, then expect people to think that's how you are.

And 2. If you are doing a bit, and people obviously don't like the bit, they won't ever just cut the characters and be more personable and approachable. No no, they double down as hard as they can, and make that character present in every facet of their work. This then wraps back around to #1, and then back to #2, and so on.

It's like a Gordian knot of exceptionalism that can easily be cut, but they never see fit to cut it when it goes too far. Like say, oh I dunno, having your "character" harass one of the writers of SpongeBob on Twitter; something like that.

mooo

kiwifarms.net
I will never understand why YouTubers who constantly find themselves in the pit of controversy and pure unbridled autism will immediately use the excuse that "I'm just playing a a character/I'm just doing a bit, it's not like I'm actually like that in real life".

There's a couple things wrong with this:

1. It's the Internet: all people have to go off of when it comes to judging people is whatever the individual in question decides to put out there. If you're playing a character 95% of the time with no tell as to where the character ends and where the "real you" begins, then people are going to see that as who you actually are. Why wouldn't they? If you act that way 24/7, on your social media or otherwise, it might as well be the "real you" to others. That's all you present yourself as. If you're going to use that excuse for basic social interaction, then expect people to think that's how you are.

And 2. If you are doing a bit, and people obviously don't like the bit, they won't ever just cut the characters and be more personable and approachable. No no, they double down as hard as they can, and make that character present in every facet of their work. This then wraps back around to #1, and then back to #2, and so on.

It's like a Gordian knot of exceptionalism that can easily be cut, but they never see fit to cut it when it goes too far. Like say, oh I dunno, having your "character" harass one of the writers of SpongeBob on Twitter; something like that.
Yeah but the "angry reviewer" shtick is low effort and gets a lot of kids who don't know any better to watch your videos. I believe there's some truth in him stating he's only playing a character, but I think that's partially just an excuse. In some of his streams and a couple other videos he's actually chill as fuck and even a little self aware. So I think he plays up his anger when he does his reviews but he probably still actually thinks his criticisms are valid.

LiquidKid

Same Management, New Name
kiwifarms.net
I don't think anyone here really hates him, we just think his delusions about Growing Around's quality are funny to watch.
I never hated him, hating someone on the Internet is spergy. I think he’s funny because he’s exceptional as fuck and never improves at anything he attempts to do, but feels that he’s somehow qualified to be a critic in any fashion.
And growing around is even more exceptional than those monotonous rants he calls reviews. He’s a fascinating person to watch, he’s a walking dumpster fire in many ways

mooo

kiwifarms.net
I'm reading the script for Childhood's End Part 2 and came across this line. It feels so out of place and random despite the episode being about them being in a simulation.
[Robert debates on what to say for a beat. A patron sitting at the counter looks over to Robert. He's wearing a dark outfit and a top hat. Perhaps it could be a Matrix reference. Have him look like Agent Smith.]
Then nothing happens. I don't know why this line is even here.

Watcher

Cishet dudebro
kiwifarms.net
As someone who's made content and worked in theater I'll touch on this. When you create things for an audience you generally have to exaggerate yourself to a certain extent. This is usually to make yourself more comedic or more engaging to other people. However you always perceive this aspect of yourself as separate from who you are normally. It's something you have to "turn on" as it were. I've read a book on how to do this in the past.

A really good example of this is when Beyonce was initially performing music she created this alter ego named "Sasha Fierce" as a way of convincing herself to do more suggestive dances and more scandalous lyrics. This was because prior to this she primarily sung in a church coir. A lot of musicians did this actually, like David Bowie was so famous for doing this that he created an entire song about him.

At the same time this persona isn't something actually separate. It's not a "character" outside of you. It's also not something that makes you above criticism. You're still allowed to criticize the performance which is something some people like Enter don't get. It's having your cake and eating it too. This is one advantage of having an alter ego in that you can detach yourself from criticism and not take it personally, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't still listen to it.

Piga Dgrifm

Where are those good old fashioned values?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm reading the script for Childhood's End Part 2 and came across this line. It feels so out of place and random despite the episode being about them being in a simulation.

I guess the joke is just supposed to be "The Matrix is a movie that exists."

mooo

kiwifarms.net
Finished reading all 3 parts of Childhood's End and I'm just blown away at how awful it's been. It dares to ask the question "What happens when adults rise up?" and answers with "Nothing, because that's what the writer wants." The basic plot is that Shane convinces Autumn to put herself and her family in a VR simulation of a world where adults rule because Autumn is tired of being treated like shit by kids. It gets incredibly preachy and strawman-y with Sally suffering humiliation from strict adults. In the end, one of Sally's new AI friends tackles a hologram of Shane which frees them from the simulation. The Dunns wake up and kick Shane's ass then go home and return to status quo. Why didn't Shane restrain them or just kill them while he had them there? He acts like he'll kill Sally if Robert doesn't do what he wants anyway. Why does Autumn just accept a subservient role in the end? Sally never learns her lesson about how shit she treats her.

I'm just left wondering "Why does this even exist?" There's just no point in any of it. Anyway, here are some parts I thought were noteworthy:

Sally gets in a fight with a bully but Enter is too afraid to show her getting punched on screen so nothing happens.
The bully suddenly allies with Sally in the end for no reason.
After escaping the simulation, Sally says she's not leaving Gumdrops's side for a long time then IMMEDIATELY leaves his side.
Sally says she doesn't forgive Autumn for what she did, then says she does forgive her like 20 seconds later after nothing has changed.
Sally states the moral, which is to not do things out of spite. Ironic because that's what Growing Around is.
The climax was overly melodramatic and could have been resolved by Autumn saying "Sorry, I didn't know this would happen."
Max is stated to have been tortured worse than Sally but we are never shown this. In fact Max is basically absent the whole time.
Shane's speaking tone throughout the whole thing is condescending to annoying levels.
The Dunns basically state that the scouts are too incompetent to arrest Shane despite having a whole lab of evidence and a knocked out Shane sitting by them. Instead they say that when Sally becomes mayor she can personally legally dish out any punishment on him with no evidence or trial or anything.

Last edited:

LiquidKid

kiwifarms.net

I really want to know why he thinks the term “beat” exists in screenwriting, and what he thinks it means. All you have to say is “Robert pauses.” What’s bizarre about the matrix outfit thing is that, while specific outfits can be mentioned in screenplays if they are vital in some way to the character(ex.the speed racer shirt in pulp fiction is actually mentioned in the script) and a character looking like a other can also be added, these things are usually decided by the animation staff and the storyboarder, not the writer. In fact, most pop culture sight gags are from storboarders trying to have fun with what is ultimately a very dull job

OmnipotentStupidity

Bleeding Money at Breakneck Speeds
kiwifarms.net
Finished reading all 3 parts of Childhood's End and I'm just blown away at how awful it's been. It dares to ask the question "What happens when adults rise up?" and answers with "Nothing, because that's what the writer wants." The basic plot is that Shane convinces Autumn to put herself and her family in a VR simulation of a world where adults rule because Autumn is tired of being treated like shit by kids. It gets incredibly preachy and strawman-y with Sally suffering humiliation from strict adults. In the end, one of Sally's new AI friends tackles a hologram of Shane which frees them from the simulation. The Dunns wake up and kick Shane's ass then go home and return to status quo. Why didn't Shane restrain them or just kill them while he had them there? He acts like he'll kill Sally if Robert doesn't do what he wants anyway. Why does Autumn just accept a subservient role in the end? Sally never learns her lesson about how shit she treats her.

I'm just left wondering "Why does this even exist?" There's just no point in any of it. Anyway, here are some parts I thought were noteworthy:

Sally gets in a fight with a bully but Enter is too afraid to show her getting punched on screen so nothing happens.
The bully suddenly allies with Sally in the end for no reason.
After escaping the simulation, Sally says she's not leaving Gumdrops's side for a long time then IMMEDIATELY leaves his side.
Sally says she doesn't forgive Autumn for what she did, then says she does forgive her like 20 seconds later after nothing has changed.
Sally states the moral, which is to not do things out of spite. Ironic because that's what Growing Around is.
The climax was overly melodramatic and could have been resolved by Autumn saying "Sorry, I didn't know this would happen."
Max is stated to have been tortured worse than Sally but we are never shown this. In fact Max is basically absent the whole time.
Shane's speaking tone throughout the whole thing is condescending to annoying levels.
The Dunns basically state that the scouts are too incompetent to arrest Shane despite having a whole lab of evidence and a knocked out Shane sitting by them. Instead they say that when Sally becomes mayor she can personally legally dish out any punishment on him with no evidence or trial or anything.
If Enter's trying to make this show's world feel less like a dystopian nightmare when compared to the real world, it isn't working.

LiquidKid

kiwifarms.net
If Enter's trying to make this show's world feel less like a dystopian nightmare when compared to the real world, it isn't working.
I think he wanted to make his own version of the Power Puff Girl’s episode where they go to Citiesville. An episode he hated(coincidentally, the only episode of that entire series I think is remotely watchable). He probably thought he could do reality better, but he’s never been in reality so obviously that wouldn’t work. He may really think out world is a dystopia

dunbrine47

Rumpy Fish's Brother: Grumpy
kiwifarms.net
Currently it is just a q&A session.
I'll edit if something important comes up.
Edit: Stream Over.

Last edited:

Piga Dgrifm

Where are those good old fashioned values?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If he wanted to satirize how bullying is handled in the real world, he could have shown Sally getting punched, then both she and the bully are sent to the principal's office even though Sally was the victim. This would help the viewer sympathize with Sally, and it's an actual problem kids may have to deal with when it comes to badly implemented zero tolerance policies.

Enter once sperged out at an MLP episode for stating the moral outright like that, guess this is another case where he'll insist he did it right, though.

This, I particularly didn't understand. Max is shown to fear growing up since it means losing his job, all his accomplishments and not being able to make decisions. He would be infinitely happier in the real world where he could enjoy being a kid and continue doing what he likes for the rest of his life. Enter refusing to show what was done to him to make him act so unlike what's shown in other scripts is a big issue.

Poodies Bug

Little Fellow
kiwifarms.net
I think he wanted to make his own version of the Power Puff Girl’s episode where they go to Citiesville. An episode he hated(coincidentally, the only episode of that entire series I think is remotely watchable). He probably thought he could do reality better, but he’s never been in reality so obviously that wouldn’t work. He may really think out world is a dystopia
He does this A LOT. He takes the episodes of other shows that he disliked and tries to "remake" them into his own version that's non offensive and doesn't bug him as much. It's hard to read Growing Around, but it seems like more often than not the plot is just an episode of Recess, MLP, Powerpuff Girls, etc that he hated. I think it partially satisfies him and makes him feel a bit better, but I guarantee you he thinks it could be a pitch for getting Growing Around on television. "I can write the same episodes as these famous creators, BUT BETTER.'' he thinks it will somehow prove he's better than the best.

Also, not sure if it's late but I just never saw him as "doing a character" it's just him ranting and maybe he's exaggerating a bit, but he seems genuinely angry about a lot of things in his reviews. Someone stated it above. It's not another character, it's just him ranting and letting out steam about things in cartoons that bug him. I think he feels embarrassed when people tell him it's just a cartoon because it's sort of a reality check.

The fact that he literally devotes his time into remaking cartoon episodes he dislikes into his own just shows it genuinely DOES bother him that much.

LiquidKid

kiwifarms.net
is shown to fear growing up since it means losing his job, all his accomplishments and not being able to make decisions. He would be infinitely happier in the real world where he could enjoy being a kid and continue doing what he likes for the rest of his life. Enter refusing to show what was done to him to make him act so unlike what's shown in other scripts is a big issue.
Again, it shows the big issue of childhood lasting significantly less than adulthood. You’re into really a child for about 14 years or so in most countries, 18 if you follow US legality. You’re not legally a senior until you’re 65. Which means you’re an adult for more than 3 times the duration of childhood. Childhood is even shorter if you arbitrarily decide teens don’t count. So giving the shortest lived demographic all of the rights, responsibilities, and power would lead to an entire lifetime of depression and “longing for the old days.” And he’s still never acknowledged if kids end up in school with their parents. And if school really doesn’t end until you become an elder, do they all go to the home for the childless at some point?

He does this A LOT. He takes the episodes of other shows that he disliked and tries to "remake" them into his own version that's non offensive and doesn't bug him as much. It's hard to read Growing Around, but it seems like more often than not the plot is just an episode of Recess, MLP, Powerpuff Girls, etc that he hated. I think it partially satisfies him and makes him feel a bit better, but I guarantee you he thinks it could be a pitch for getting Growing Around on television. "I can write the same episodes as these famous creators, BUT BETTER.'' he thinks it will somehow prove he's better than the best.

Also, not sure if it's late but I just never saw him as "doing a character" it's just him ranting and maybe he's exaggerating a bit, but he seems genuinely angry about a lot of things in his reviews. Someone stated it above. It's not another character, it's just him ranting and letting out steam about things in cartoons that bug him. I think he feels embarrassed when people tell him it's just a cartoon because it's sort of a reality check.

The fact that he literally devotes his time into remaking cartoon episodes he dislikes into his own just shows it genuinely DOES bother him that much.
Ironically, networks want someone who can bring something new. Even shows that seem like carbon copies actually do attempt to bring new perspectives on things. Literally marketing yourself as “I do this, but better” only works if it’s a parody sketch where the end result is comedically worse.

As for the character thing, I can partially see it. There are moments where he sounds extra wooden, and I would buy that those are his attempts at acting. I disagree that he is ever “chill” or “down to earth” having seen streams of his. And moments like bringing up his IRL dog and his extra sperging towards something the deems “mean spirited” also shows that it isn’t a character most of the time. I think the Truth or Square review is probably the most “character” he got.
But that also raises the question of “why would you ever be a character in a critical analysis?” His videos are essentially bland video essays, complete with attempts at comedy that are middle school levels of awkward. So Mr. Enter being a character doesn’t make any sense, there just isn’t a point to the character. Colbert is a good example. The Stephen Colbert on the Colbert Report was a character that satirized conservatives on TV around the time Jr started. He didn’t really update the character, so the joke was kind of bland near the end, but it was clear that he didn’t actually believe any of the points he made. People didn’t always know that he was a character though, which caused a few controversies and the shock when he was a normal person on the Late Show. But Colbert the character had a purpose, Enter the character, of he exists, has none

Last edited:
Reactions: Poodies Bug

mooo

kiwifarms.net
Again, it shows the big issue of childhood lasting significantly less than adulthood. You’re into really a child for about 14 years or so in most countries, 18 if you follow US legality. You’re not legally a senior until you’re 65. Which means you’re an adult for more than 3 times the duration of childhood. Childhood is even shorter if you arbitrarily decide teens don’t count. So giving the shortest lived demographic all of the rights, responsibilities, and power would lead to an entire lifetime of depression and “longing for the old days.” And he’s still never acknowledged if kids end up in school with their parents. And if school really doesn’t end until you become an elder, do they all go to the home for the childless at some point?
I think they all go to "the altergarten" after they graduate? IDK there was an episode where Talula goes to the altergarten and talks to some old people for advice but it's not really clear what they do there. In fact in one of the streams for GA, Enter said he doesn't have a clue how the elderly fit in to this universe and even asked fans to come up with an explanation for him.

LiquidKid

kiwifarms.net
I think they all go to "the altergarten" after they graduate? IDK there was an episode where Talula goes to the altergarten and talks to some old people for advice but it's not really clear what they do there. In fact in one of the streams for GA, Enter said he doesn't have a clue how the elderly fit in to this universe and even asked fans to come up with an explanation for him.
I though his explanation was that they were adults who had been conditioned to think like kids and essentially live like children do but without the jobs kids need to take

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino