The Mysterious Mr. Enter / Jonathan Rozanski's "Growing Around" - IndieGoGo Campaign Failed, John going off the deep end

Shokew

Trial by Fire! Trial by Fire!
kiwifarms.net
Even more topical gamer rage. Are we gonna get Enter to denounce blizzard because of a streamer we all totally care about?
For the record, I'm not really a gamer - too bad that would serve as a good distraction away from this trainwreck I'm continuing to witness and pretty much all outta fucks to give a damn about, honestly.

If anything, Entard might gain more professional traction if he got his ideas off DeviantArt for once and bravely shared them with actual people in the craft, as much as it's otherwise more fun to simply let him burn out, admittedly.

Yeah... Anything that's actual friendly advice from real people in this career field and not fantards, besides some therapy is a good start, really - especially the therapy.....

LiquidKid

If Lions Like It, You Know It’s Bad.
kiwifarms.net
For the record, I'm not really a gamer - too bad that would serve as a good distraction away from this trainwreck I'm continuing to witness and pretty much all outta fucks to give a damn about, honestly.

If anything, Entard might gain more professional traction if he got his ideas off DeviantArt for once and bravely shared them with actual people in the craft, as much as it's otherwise more fun to simply let him burn out, admittedly.

Yeah... Anything that's actual friendly advice from real people in this career field and not fantards, besides some therapy is a good start, really - especially the therapy.....
Frankly, I don’t think anyone would return his emails. There’s also no evidence to say he hasn’t attempted and failed colossally. Which could have lead to his current jaded view of the industry

Someone

Stop gendering genitals!
kiwifarms.net
Extra Credits part 1 is here:
Just started it, and it took nearly 3 minutes to get to the subject. Not a good sign.

UPDATE: That video was pretty eh. Apart from the typical problems of length and necessity, there didn't seem to be anything particularly wrong with this one.
TL;DW, he specifically talks about "Games Should Not Be $60 Anymore" and the Lootboxes two-parter. He claims that EC did a poor job substantiating their claims, especially when talking about the nearly-indefensible topic of monetization schemes, and that it feels like they've sold out to the big companies.
In the first few minutes he admits that his game was a shitty ripoff of a comic, and still nothing clicks about GA

Also, Enter is 27

• Informative
Reactions: SpergPatrol

Piga Dgrifm

Where are those good old fashioned values?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
In the first few minutes he admits that his game was a shitty ripoff of a comic, and still nothing clicks about GA

Also, Enter is 27
I was wondering why the scene from the game he showed actually had a joke in it (even if it's not a great one), mystery was solved when he admitted he stole it.

Truthboi

The True and Honest Man
kiwifarms.net
I saw his Extra Credits video and it wasn't as horrible as I thought it'd be (I ended up agreeing with Enter at point). However, the video was very padded and Enter could've easily trimmed it down a lot to at least 10-20 minutes. The only thing I am relieved about is that he at least didn't jump straight ahead to the Nazi video but that point is moot considering the next part is going to be about Extra Credits' political views.

Icarus B. Nezzer

kiwifarms.net
I saw his Extra Credits video and it wasn't as horrible as I thought it'd be (I ended up agreeing with Enter at point). However, the video was very padded and Enter could've easily trimmed it down a lot to at least 10-20 minutes. The only thing I am relieved about is that he at least didn't jump straight ahead to the Nazi video but that point is moot considering the next part is going to be about Extra Credits' political views.
I'll agree it wasn't bad as an essay, but it was really hard to take him seriously with the unfitting video game music in the background. I'm guessing the editor picked them out because they sounded "cool" or "epic" with no consideration for the actual mood of Enter's video.

Also, Enter is 27
Oh, fuck. That means he made the first pitch for "Growing Around" when he was 21. At that age, on top of potential coddling from his grandparents, of course he'd have no grasp of what adulthood actually is, let alone how children would handle it.

Last edited:

LiquidKid

kiwifarms.net
I'll agree it wasn't bad as an essay, but it was really hard to take him seriously with the unfitting video game music in the background. I'm guessing the editor picked them out because they sounded "cool" or "epic" with no consideration for the actual mood of Enter's video.

Oh, fuck. That means he made the first pitch for "Growing Around" when he was 21. At that age, on top of potential coddling from his grandparents, of course he'd have no grasp of what adulthood actually is, let alone how children would handle it.
He did the Shorty McShort Shorts video in June of 2014, so he was closer to 22, but still not an acceptable age for satirizing adulthood

Sir Wesley Tailpipe

kiwifarms.net
I just watched his review of John K’s Cans Without Labels today.

What a moron. He mispronounces Kricfalusi’s name every time he says it, and he seems to think that the 4:3 aspect ratio is only a TV thing. He has some points that are valid, but way to totally undermine the valid points by being uninformed. You’d think an animator would know that 4:3 was the aspect ratio of the classic Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry cartoons that John K worships, but Enter seems to think that everything is about 90’s TV cartoons.

LiquidKid

kiwifarms.net

What a moron. He mispronounces Kricfalusi’s name every time he says it, and he seems to think that the 4:3 aspect ratio is only a TV thing. He has some points that are valid, but way to totally undermine the valid points by being uninformed. You’d think an animator would know that 4:3 was the aspect ratio of the classic Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry cartoons that John K worships, but Enter seems to think that everything is about 90’s TV cartoons.
Kind of a spergy comment, but also very late to the party. We discussed all of that a long time ago.
He’s also not an animator.
I hate being nice to him, but you should at least know what his stupid argument actually was. He complained about the 4:3 because he felt it was an unnecessary throwback to old cartoons and tried to claim it was being lazy. obviously it wasn’t lazy, and obviously it was a stylistic choice to pay homage to the cartoons John K loves and idolizes, but he wasn’t complaining because of his usual lack of knowledge. Just his typical Autistic misunderstanding

Jewelsmakerguy

(Cheesy 80s music intensifies)
kiwifarms.net

Like you said, he does bring up some legitimate points (like the awful animation and padding), but really this whole thing just makes him come off as "I'm still relevant, right?" Especially since his review was a good 2-3 weeks after everyone else finished saying their piece. I think the only one who gave any shits by then was 03bgood, but he's about as mentally sound as Enter.

Icarus B. Nezzer

kiwifarms.net
Like you said, he does bring up some legitimate points (like the awful animation and padding), but really this whole thing just makes him come off as "I'm still relevant, right?" Especially since his review was a good 2-3 weeks after everyone else finished saying their piece. I think the only one who gave any shits by then was 03bgood, but he's about as mentally sound as Enter.
Eh, he's always like this, even with media that's not as recent. It comes off more as general autistic procrastination than a desperate plea for relevance. Honestly, 2-3 weeks is pretty fast by his standard. For reference, he was commissioned to review Madoka Magica almost a YEAR ago, but he hasn't gotten around to it yet.
Screen Shot 2019-10-20 at 12.39.59 PM.png

And it's not like he's forgotten, either.
Screen Shot 2019-10-20 at 12.37.50 PM.png

OmnipotentStupidity

Bleeding Money at Breakneck Speeds
kiwifarms.net
Eh, he's always like this, even with media that's not as recent. It comes off more as general autistic procrastination than a desperate plea for relevance. Honestly, 2-3 weeks is pretty fast by his standard. For reference, he was commissioned to review Madoka Magica almost a YEAR ago, but he hasn't gotten around to it yet.
View attachment 978536

View attachment 978533
I'd probably buy that it's autistic procrastination keeping him from doing it, if there weren't a whole other litany of problems that now arise due to the reasons he gave in those screenshots.
1.) "It's harder to obtain and every series is serialized": Not true. There's 6-episode OVAs, one-shot series, series that go on for one season and then get completely abandoned, manga adaptations of series, series that are nothing but short compilations, there's even series that try to mimic the format of Western episode releases to fit with the Western aesthetic they chose for their shows; if anything, there's way too much variety in terms of series length. If it was a several hundred episodes-long shonen anime adaptation like One Piece or DragonBall, then it'd make sense. But those are the exception, not the rule, and that rule AFAIK does not at all apply to Madoka Magica, unless you count the movies...even though movies that continue a television show/cartoon's story have also been a thing in the West for years. And if you're really having trouble finding footage, just use Kissanime.

2.) "Reviewing an anime series is more or less a guaranteed copyright strike". A couple of issues here.
  • How does he know this? He's never reviewed any anime, and any time he says he's going to, like here, he just never ended up doing it. He's reviewed faux anime, but never straight up something from Japan itself...unless I missed something.
  • If that were the case, why are there a shitton of anime YouTube reviewers, how are they able to use footage with little to no repercussions, and how did they become larger than the cartoon community John's in by a country mile if they risk complete and total channel takedown at any moment? Is he confusing these with Abridged series? More to the point, it's a Patreon-requested review. Even if it did get claimed or striked, the point is you still get the money anyway. That's the whole point of Patreon.
And finally, 3.) "I have to deal with the sub/dubs argument because it's gotta be the 'RIGHT version', oh woe is me". ...really John? You're using a meme for why you can't review anime? Okay never mind the fact that if he just Google-searched "X show, is sub/dub better?", he could find what the prevailing opinion on it incredibly easily, but...like, who cares? Just say if you're using sub or dubs for the purposes of making it a more cohesive review; even if it's not the version that people want, tough shit: it's not their channel, and it's what everyone else does to counteract this argument. That's why it's such a dumb argument: it's a matter of personal preference; you're not gonna get lynched if you watch Cowboy Bebop subbed unless you draw attention to it, like he's doing right now.
There are a lot of better reasons to not review anime. Hell, you could just say it's just not your thing, and just refund the money. But that would also require him to admit that he's wrong or ill-equipped to handle something, so...

SpergPatrol

You're a faggot Harry
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 978536

View attachment 978533
"There no benefit to it," boy you got commissioned a year ago to do this, you made your money already.

God watching him whine is just upsetting because not only are there people hanging off his every word for a man who knows NOTHING about the animation industry, but he cares more about shit that no one going to talk about to him about to get out of a commissioned review.

Don't want to review something then stop taking the money for those reviews.

Piga Dgrifm

Where are those good old fashioned values?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Enter said:
Lately morale has been a rather huge problem with me. I don't know if it's just the seasonal affective disorder kicking in, but lately more and more I have been depressed, and YouTube itself has kind of been one of my depressive triggers as it were. This might seem like a rant, or it might seem like whining, I don't know. But there have been a wide variety of things that have... lead to a lot of internal stress, let's say.

Lately, I've felt like I'm on the back end of my bell curve. Talking plainly, my most popular work was from years ago. It's natural for older stuff to have more views, engagement, etc due to the natural passage of time, but the amount of difference is far too much for just the passage of time to account for. I've looked at what some of my most popular stuff of all time was, and it's not the most encouraging thing ever.

The most popular stuff is/was a lot of the angrier stuff, the more inflamatory, and insulty stuff. And of course, like 9/10 of them is about SpongeBob specifically. And you know what some of the worst aspects of my content was? Well... being way too angry, insulting people, and picking on one show far too often. It makes me wonder if the bad parts of my content is why I got popular in the first place, and quite honestly, that's one of the worst feelings in the world. It's one thing to improve on your own flaws and get better. It's an entirely different thing to realize that people liked you for your flaws. That's a truly terrible feeling.

With YouTube, there's always this temptation to be immoral. There are plenty of assholes cashing in. Actually, I say "assholes", but the people who seem to have the best success tend to be some of the worst out there. Those Freaky Finger Family videos probably made more cash traumatizing children than any of your favorite YouTubers. Every single one of them. YouTube rewards not giving a shit. Not just about your content, but about the people you make videos for.

Not helping that is that literally everything you can do to get some kind of success on YouTube, or really the internet in general, is almost universally hated by each and every audience. Way way back in the day, monetizing at all was seen as just one of the biggest sins that an internet content creator could make. Services like Patreon were known as "ebegging" before Patreon came around. Sponsorships and all of that are still looked down on.

But even ignoring that, the way you tend to get views is through "eye catching" thumbnails and "eye catching" titles, i.e. clickbait. Something that at one point YouTube as a platform hated, but now actively encourages, despite no one actually liking them. Even small things you do or don't do to appease the algorithms can have wide reaching backlash. If you haven't noticed the AVGN has been removing episode numbers for his non-episodic show... and a lot of people are complaining, considering this to be a "last straw."

If it was just me, well, that'd be just me. Morale really isn't helped though when it seems like everyone on the website is dower. Everywhere you turn, it's stories of people getting screwed over by the website, or the ones who have been surviving... well, ending up like Extra Credits. It's no coincidence that now is the time that I've felt the need to do a review on their content. But that's... natural on some level.

What's not so natural is the people getting screwed over. You keep getting stories like this, for instance: [link]. Stop Skeletons from Fighting, or the Happy Video Game Nerd, as he started YouTube as is not only one of my favorite content creators, but it's another big piece of inspiration. His content felt like more than a ton of good moments, but a part of who I am. Nah the one that really hurt was this one [link]. Corey Williams, better known as SMPfilms was literally the first person I ever subscribed to way back when. He's probably the reason I started YouTube at all.

These are just two examples of... no exaggeration, hundreds. At this point, I have probably seen more than one hundred videos of this caliber. It feels very somber, like no one is really wondering when the end is anymore, because it already happened. I guess... on some strange level, it is one of those things that keeps me going. I really don't want to continue this cycle of sadness. I want to be there. I want to keep going, as long as that means something to someone. As long as... I can keep going with this.

twitter.com/YTCreators/status/…

"We set a goal earlier this year to have at least half the videos on trending come from YouTubers. We're glad you're liking it!"

YouTube Creators had tweeted this out and it broke my brain. Like... when this was tweeted, I utterly collapsed. I mean, first of all it's an admission that they do control what goes on the trending page, but the fact that this was stated without irony explodes my brain. Yes, half of the videos on the trending page on YouTube come from YouTubers. Okay then.

You know there's a reddit page - Change My View. I've got one for you - Learning Algorithms are tools for the lazy and should never be used. Every time I hear Google or YouTube or whatever talk about learning algorithms I want to shoot myself. THEY DO NOT WORK. At least on this scale. You know how they work? A bunch of people make homophobic videos, the learning algorithm sees this, and then people talking about coming out as gay get dinged. And then when the moderators you've hired in countries where gay marriage is illegal uphold this. Congratulations, fuck you. This is how learning algorithms work.

I guess this is a common problem that I should just deal with... but working for an abhorrent boss is not helping morale. Let's just say Technocracy didn't make it any easier to work with a website like YouTube or Patreon. The immoral shit that they've done and continue to do. But you gotta do it or you starve to death. For some people, it's either work with a site like Twitch and support a platform that not only defended a woman throwing a cat on stream but feeding a cat alcohol and then banning anyone who complained about her... or don't stream and don't eat. And don't complain about it either or you get banned.

I mean why complain when literally every fucking social media platform is like this? Every single one. You know, my thought process started out "in order to be big on a website you need to be a dumpster fire of a person" but on another level, maybe you need to sell out all of your morality to exist on these platforms to begin with. I need to calm down and take a step back, maybe. It just... hurts. All of it hurts to hell and back.

I just honestly don't know what to do. "Doing what I do" is on some level, a slow burn that'll probably crash at some point in the future. Either me or the platform, but something will give on some level. And on some level "doing what I do" seems to have alienated a lot of my older audience. At the same time, going back to who I was, isn't something that I'd even dignify by considering. Not that I really could, because you better believe that that certainly ain't advertiser friendly.

The biggest payouts on YouTube comes from family/children's content. They are so focused on appealing to kids that you will get dinged as unadvertiser friendly if you even bleep out your swears. This is despite the fact that it is illegal for YouTube to try and appeal to kids due to COPPA. You need to be 13 years or older to use Youtube, and YouTube is finally being sued.

So, if you appeal to a child-friendly audience you will soon be losing most of your revenue. But if you don't appeal to kids by doing things like swearing, most of your videos will be demonetized. Great time to be alive.

Throughout all of this, I'm just trying to find some clarity. Trying to do more than just... survive. I've tried everything I could think of - taking out a lot of time for big passion projects, keeping consistent with smaller videos that are hard to be proud of, talking about trends, staying consistent on my topics, branching out and trying something different. I'm still fighting, but... more and more it's harder. It seems to be more of an issue of time than effort though, as time seems to be running out. Trying to figure out what "magic" I had before. If my guess is correct and it was the shouty anger... well, then that's not good for a variety of reasons.

Like I said before, people caring less about you because you've improved as a person. That's... a very unfun situation.

Shokew

kiwifarms.net
Enter embodies one of the many reasons why the cartoon community will never gain as much respect as the anime community given how most cartoon fans like Enter are outright dismissive of requests like what he did with the Patreon requests and terrible understanding of copyright
There's more to it than that... So much more to it than that. However, Entard and his ilk, plus their sheeple followers, are huge parts of the problem being described here, regardless.

• Agree
Reactions: The Great Chandler

Truthboi

The True and Honest Man
kiwifarms.net
There's more to it than that... So much more to it than that. However, Entard and his ilk, plus their sheeple followers, are huge parts of the problem being described here, regardless.
Yeah I am aware that there's more things with why the anime community is generally more respected, but people like Enter is a huge problem with it.

• Agree
Reactions: Shokew

Shokew

kiwifarms.net
More importantly, anime is a medium not intended for kids. Then again, both mediums attract plenty of autists.
Maybe... But anime (cartoons in Japan) was made with kids in mind - even if you believe that, which it is hard to do.

Yeah I am aware that there's more things with why the anime community is generally more respected, but people like Enter is a huge problem with it.
Glad you understand. Entard/Phantomstrider/their idiotic followers... No one needs to be listening to them - not anymore. But that alone is only one SMALL step in the right direction. The real fight begins with removing the stigma ("animation is for kids"... Yeah - that one.), which ain't happening anytime soon, honestly.

LiquidKid

kiwifarms.net
I'd probably buy that it's autistic procrastination keeping him from doing it, if there weren't a whole other litany of problems that now arise due to the reasons he gave in those screenshots.
1.) "It's harder to obtain and every series is serialized": Not true. There's 6-episode OVAs, one-shot series, series that go on for one season and then get completely abandoned, manga adaptations of series, series that are nothing but short compilations, there's even series that try to mimic the format of Western episode releases to fit with the Western aesthetic they chose for their shows; if anything, there's way too much variety in terms of series length. If it was a several hundred episodes-long shonen anime adaptation like One Piece or DragonBall, then it'd make sense. But those are the exception, not the rule, and that rule AFAIK does not at all apply to Madoka Magica, unless you count the movies...even though movies that continue a television show/cartoon's story have also been a thing in the West for years. And if you're really having trouble finding footage, just use Kissanime.

2.) "Reviewing an anime series is more or less a guaranteed copyright strike". A couple of issues here.
  • How does he know this? He's never reviewed any anime, and any time he says he's going to, like here, he just never ended up doing it. He's reviewed faux anime, but never straight up something from Japan itself...unless I missed something.
  • If that were the case, why are there a shitton of anime YouTube reviewers, how are they able to use footage with little to no repercussions, and how did they become larger than the cartoon community John's in by a country mile if they risk complete and total channel takedown at any moment? Is he confusing these with Abridged series? More to the point, it's a Patreon-requested review. Even if it did get claimed or striked, the point is you still get the money anyway. That's the whole point of Patreon.
And finally, 3.) "I have to deal with the sub/dubs argument because it's gotta be the 'RIGHT version', oh woe is me". ...really John? You're using a meme for why you can't review anime? Okay never mind the fact that if he just Google-searched "X show, is sub/dub better?", he could find what the prevailing opinion on it incredibly easily, but...like, who cares? Just say if you're using sub or dubs for the purposes of making it a more cohesive review; even if it's not the version that people want, tough shit: it's not their channel, and it's what everyone else does to counteract this argument. That's why it's such a dumb argument: it's a matter of personal preference; you're not gonna get lynched if you watch Cowboy Bebop subbed unless you draw attention to it, like he's doing right now.
There are a lot of better reasons to not review anime. Hell, you could just say it's just not your thing, and just refund the money. But that would also require him to admit that he's wrong or ill-equipped to handle something, so...
I haven’t seen it since the original airing(back when morning rescue became a minor meme and the tsunami delayed the finale, leaving the entire show on a major cliffhanger for months) but isn’t Madoka only a 13 episode series? It’s ridiculously easy to get your hands on. The movies are the standard “condense the show onto 2 hours with some occasionally redone scenes” so those wouldn’t be a bad version either.
I think he either can’t comprehend anime or he’s aware that delving too deeply into anime will bring him unwanted attention from the anime community, something nobody wants

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino