The Mysterious Mr. Enter / Jonathan Rozanski's "Growing Around" - IndieGoGo Campaign Failed, John going off the deep end

Crescent Fresh

kiwifarms.net
I think I'd have to disagree because I don't think FiM's pilot actually adheres to how Enter wants a pilot to be made.
You rightfuly stated the first episode sets the future status quo in a good way, but it fails (as per Mr Enter reccomendation) to introduce the secondary cast that was already planned to appear in future episodes, such as Zecora, The Cutie-Mark-Crusaders (wich actually appear together in a scene even if by that point they don't know each other), Photo Finish, Mr & Mrs Cake and Rarity's parents.
Of coure not adhering to Enter's rules doesn't make it a bad pilot, the opposite actually, and if anything it shows why his rules are aribtrary at best.

I think you're right about the fact that he doesn't enjoy Bojack Horseman for his merits as a well written TV series, but not because he sees it as the only adult cartoon with a proper continuity unlike FG. After watching the two videos he did on the series, I realized he actually doesn't even care that much about the continuity but is bewitched by the themes of Bojack: being unable to let go of the past, how our actions can hurt people and legacy/death. especially death.
And this is a bit an armachair psychology take but I think he doesn't want to finish the series not because he knows how Bojack's arc is inevitably going to end and doesn't like it but because he knows he isn't prepared to deal with it emotionally.

View attachment 1478396
(I was going to quote that but decided to take a pic, just in case he goes to the deep end and nukes his YT too)
I mean that's what he put at the end of his review and spent his second Bojack video (20 minutes) basically only talking about death and how much he fears it. How the hell is a person like this going to react to "The wiew from halfway down"?

P.S. Maybe it' a bit melodramatic to call his recent cancelling of his social media and his Covid rants "the end" but that... video annotation(?) was written in 2016... only 4 years ago, not even five like he predicted.
I'm still debating with myself if this makes that statement more funny or sad in hindsight.
I just looked it up. That video was posted in August, and only three months later, he self-published Party Panic.

A Bojack Horseman episode made him so worried about his legacy that his immediate response was to rush a book out without giving a shit about the quality of said book, which matters far, far more to someone’s legacy than anything else for that kind of thing.

Piga Dgrifm

Pita Griffin
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Honestly, it feels like the secondary cast for Growing Around gets talked about more/has more to do in scripts than the main cast at far too many points
So many of them only have one flimsy personality trait. If he fused a bunch of them together into one character he might have a shot at making a well-rounded OC, or at least cut down on all the useless characters.

m62259

Master lurker.
kiwifarms.net
After watching the two videos he did on the series, I realized he actually doesn't even care that much about the continuity but is bewitched by the themes of Bojack: being unable to let go of the past, how our actions can hurt people and legacy/death. especially death.
And this is a bit an armachair psychology take but I think he doesn't want to finish the series not because he knows how Bojack's arc is inevitably going to end and doesn't like it but because he knows he isn't prepared to deal with it emotionally.

(I was going to quote that but decided to take a pic, just in case he goes to the deep end and nukes his YT too)
I mean that's what he put at the end of his review and spent his second Bojack video (20 minutes) basically only talking about death and how much he fears it. How the hell is a person like this going to react to "The View from halfway down"?
Its funny, because if you ACTUALLY watch the show, you know that
Bojack actually dosen't die. (Excluding interpretations that “Nice While It Lasted,” was some sort of dying dream to give closure, witch IMO, i don't really believe.)

Optimus Prime

Resident KF Transformers Expert
kiwifarms.net
So many of them only have one flimsy personality trait. If he fused a bunch of them together into one character he might have a shot at making a well-rounded OC, or at least cut down on all the useless characters.
Somehow, he might also have extremely simple characters just to keep them organized in his head, which again falls back to them being flanderized simply by existing.

Tragedy of the Senate

kiwifarms.net
Somehow, he might also have extremely simple characters just to keep them organized in his head, which again falls back to them being flanderized simply by existing.
I could be misrembering, but I recall hearing one of the complaints about Growing Around being that its world felt lifeless. Maybe this was Enter's response to it.

How many characters has he made by this point? We of course have the Dunn family, so that's 5 if you include the horse. There's Anna, Neven, Niall, Molly, April, so now the count's up to 10. There's that Bunny girl, the Riley girl, her sister, that Tiana girl and Violet. 15. Then there's Shane and Cecilia, and I forgot about Talula. Oh, and Dora who he introduced and doesn't even care about.

That's a minimum of 19 characters, and not a single one is fleshed out.

FeatherDuster

Take this L bro, it's real.
kiwifarms.net
Enter has so many "series" with only one episode. Youtubers typically do series as it's a way to do multiple videos in a similar format, and maintain relevancy in the algorithm, but I guess Enter can't be bothered to even attempt more than one episode of anything but frothing at the mouth at other cartoons.

Icarus B. Nezzer

kiwifarms.net
Enter has so many "series" with only one episode. Youtubers typically do series as it's a way to do multiple videos in a similar format, and maintain relevancy in the algorithm, but I guess Enter can't be bothered to even attempt more than one episode of anything but frothing at the mouth at other cartoons.
Standard autist behavior. Get so obsessed on one topic that you want to make a full analytical series about it, but the first video alone drains so much energy that your obsession and passion for the topic has completely vanished. I wouldn't be so bothered if Enter hadn't made this mistake at least ten times already, three of which involving that dumb 1001 Video Games book.

Aside from short-term commitments (as in, a week at best,) Enter doesn't know his own limitations. When he says things like "I want Growing Around to be 175 episodes," he never stops to ask himself, "If the first episode is too much work, which it absolutely will be, am I willing to repeat the process 174 more times before I drop dead?"

Last edited:

Truthboi

The True and Honest Man
kiwifarms.net
This kind of behavior is not really exclusive to Enter as many other Youtubers make a series than abandon it due to lack of inspiration, not enough ideas, or sheer laziness. Mister Metokur is a major example of this and worse at it than Enter IMO

FluffyTehFennekin

Where can I get some decent sushi?
kiwifarms.net
While on the subject of Total Drama: the Anime, in Ultra Despair Girls, we see a world run by children where the adults are treated like monsters. That sound oddly similar to what growing around, with a few differences.

Reactions: Trappin in the Trap

Icarus B. Nezzer

kiwifarms.net
While on the subject of Total Drama: the Anime, in Ultra Despair Girls, we see a world run by children where the adults are treated like monsters. That sound oddly similar to what growing around, with a few differences.
I'm certain Enter would decry "Ultra Despair Girls" because the mastermind who constructed that society was a despair-crazed sociopath who wanted everyone to suffer, including the children. The world leaders of "Growing Around" would never be that psychotic, at least not intentionally.

Speaking of "Growing Around," one of the Discord's script readings went public thanks to Star Giant. If you really want to know how bad the "official" voice acting can be for a full episode, this is the closest you'll get.
(starts at 1:42)

Massively Strong Greed

Thanks for the money, dummy!
kiwifarms.net
Speaking of "Growing Around," one of the Discord's script readings went public thanks to Star Giant. If you really want to know how bad the "official" voice acting can be for a full episode, this is the closest you'll get.
It’s definitely not good voice acting, but it’s nowhere near as painful as the voice acting in the animatic.

Massively Strong Greed

Thanks for the money, dummy!
kiwifarms.net
"If yo'ant to 'ead along, the wink to the stowy is on the descwiption"

"Welax an'wisten to essentiawy an audio book weadi' of society of the tweasure twackers"

Listening to this Ryan bloke is painful. I am not sure if he talks like that to sound cute or if he genuinely has a harelip or something.
95% sure it’s a genuine autism voice. He talks like that in every video and is always unintentionally hilarious.

LiquidKid

If Lions Like It, You Know It’s Bad.
kiwifarms.net
I'm certain Enter would decry "Ultra Despair Girls" because the mastermind who constructed that society was a despair-crazed sociopath who wanted everyone to suffer, including the children. The world leaders of "Growing Around" would never be that psychotic, at least not intentionally.

I mean, most should decry ultra dispair girls for being terrible , but that’s a different topic altogether

Minster220

kiwifarms.net
Newfag here, used to be an Enter fan myself before getting tired of John’s bullshit.

I love how Sally and Max (Y’know, the main characters of Growing Around) have little to no prevalence in the thumbnail of the video, and are completely smothered by background characters that most people don’t give a shit about.

Also, sorry if this has been asked before, but are there any stories Enter has written focusing on adults living in the roles of children? If he’s gonna focus primarily on the kids so much, why doesn’t he make a just show about a city run by kids? I don’t think anyone would have a problem with that, hell that concept has worked before (ex. Kid Nation)