The Mysterious Mr. Enter / Jonathan Rozanski's "Growing Around" - IndieGoGo Campaign Failed, John going off the deep end

Minster220

kiwifarms.net
Newfag here, used to be an Enter fan myself before getting tired of John’s bullshit.

I'm certain Enter would decry "Ultra Despair Girls" because the mastermind who constructed that society was a despair-crazed sociopath who wanted everyone to suffer, including the children. The world leaders of "Growing Around" would never be that psychotic, at least not intentionally.

Speaking of "Growing Around," one of the Discord's script readings went public thanks to Star Giant. If you really want to know how bad the "official" voice acting can be for a full episode, this is the closest you'll get.
(starts at 1:42)
I love how Sally and Max (Y’know, the main characters of Growing Around) have little to no prevalence in the thumbnail of the video, and are completely smothered by background characters that most people don’t give a shit about.

Also, sorry if this has been asked before, but are there any stories Enter has written focusing on adults living in the roles of children? If he’s gonna focus primarily on the kids so much, why doesn’t he make a just show about a city run by kids? I don’t think anyone would have a problem with that, hell that concept has worked before (ex. Kid Nation)

Icarus B. Nezzer

kiwifarms.net
Also, sorry if this has been asked before, but are there any stories Enter has written focusing on adults living in the roles of children? If he’s gonna focus primarily on the kids so much, why doesn’t he make a just show about a city run by kids? I don’t think anyone would have a problem with that, hell that concept has worked before (ex. Kid Nation)
They're few and far between, but yes, they do exist. Of the seven scripts that Enter still has public, two of them are adult-centered, and they both involve adults trying (and failing) to take a stand against their child overlords.

Tragedy of the Senate

kiwifarms.net
Again, the adults in his show don't add anything good; their existence just make things worse. Growing Around is in theory a show meant to teach kids that it's okay to grow up. What better way to teach that than by making you lose your rights at the age of 18 and becoming a slave to every child's whim.

Piga Dgrifm

Pita Griffin
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Again, the adults in his show don't add anything good; their existence just make things worse. Growing Around is in theory a show meant to teach kids that it's okay to grow up. What better way to teach that than by making you lose your rights at the age of 18 and becoming a slave to every child's whim.
The only way I can see someone getting that message from GA is that they realize being an adult in the real world can't possibly be as bad as being one in GA's world. But, I know that's not what Enter intends, so I have no idea how it works in his mind.

Minster220

kiwifarms.net
What's most frustrating about GA, to me at least, is that ultimately it feels like Enter isn't trying to create/pitch a cartoon, or even a competent story. Yes, children's stories can have fantastical worlds with interesting setups, but good stories are more than just whatever the premise of the world is; it's also the narrative, themes, and most importantly, the characters.

For example, people don't remember Avatar because it was a world where people could bend the elements. While it had a unique (but not too original) setup, the show is put to a high regard because it's characters are insanely memorable. Fan favorites like Aang, Toph, Zuko, Sokka, and Iroh all had personalities, goals, hopes, hobbies, and interests that ultimately made them feel like real people. Hell, even in simpler shows like Spongebob, Looney Tunes, or Sesame Street you can find characters who have some kind of personality that drives some sort of narrative, regardless of the world they live in. Additionally, in a show like Growing Around (slice of life), narratives usually come from the most basic form of storytelling: two characters interacting with each other. Say what you want about My Little Pony, but if you were to pair together any of the main characters, you could probably get a decent amount of stories out of it due to each one having their own distinct voice.

It really feels like Enter just wants to make a world where child-adult relationships are flipped and prove why it would be interesting (which he fails at anyway because he barely shows the adult's side of this world. it honestly feels like "kids rule the world, fuck the adults") instead of telling a story about kids being given the role/responsibilities of adults.

LiquidKid

If Lions Like It, You Know It’s Bad.
kiwifarms.net
Newfag here, used to be an Enter fan myself before getting tired of John’s bullshit.

I love how Sally and Max (Y’know, the main characters of Growing Around) have little to no prevalence in the thumbnail of the video, and are completely smothered by background characters that most people don’t give a shit about.

What's most frustrating about GA, to me at least, is that ultimately it feels like Enter isn't trying to create/pitch a cartoon, or even a competent story. Yes, children's stories can have fantastical worlds with interesting setups, but good stories are more than just whatever the premise of the world is; it's also the narrative, themes, and most importantly, the characters.

For example, people don't remember Avatar because it was a world where people could bend the elements. While it had a unique (but not too original) setup, the show is put to a high regard because it's characters are insanely memorable. Fan favorites like Aang, Toph, Zuko, Sokka, and Iroh all had personalities, goals, hopes, hobbies, and interests that ultimately made them feel like real people. Hell, even in simpler shows like Spongebob, Looney Tunes, or Sesame Street you can find characters who have some kind of personality that drives some sort of narrative, regardless of the world they live in. Additionally, in a show like Growing Around (slice of life), narratives usually come from the most basic form of storytelling: two characters interacting with each other. Say what you want about My Little Pony, but if you were to pair together any of the main characters, you could probably get a decent amount of stories out of it due to each one having their own distinct voice.

It really feels like Enter just wants to make a world where child-adult relationships are flipped and prove why it would be interesting (which he fails at anyway because he barely shows the adult's side of this world. it honestly feels like "kids rule the world, fuck the adults") instead of telling a story about kids being given the role/responsibilities of adults.
Are you gonna bring up your cartoon making aspirations?

Minster220

kiwifarms.net
Are you gonna bring up your cartoon making aspirations?
Ha, fuck no. If I wanted to sperg out about my own stuff, I’d make sure I have ACTUAL content for people to judge and shit on.

Mr Enter just pisses me off on a personal level because he, like most young/autistic people, think they can shit out something that’s entertaining as people who spend their lives perfecting their craft.

MadokaCommissioner

kiwifarms.net
I remember his post where he ranted about how the beginning in most shows nowadays are kinda bad, or mediocre at best. You're supposed to wait for the show to get good, and he hates that. I remember him complaining that he felt like Madoka took too long to get to the twist, which is an issue with a lot of reconstructions like Bojack.

However, I'd actually argue the opposite. If a show doesn't establish any sense of normalcy, like say in Magical Girl Site, then it just makes all the dark shit feel bland rather than shocking. You need light for sudden darkness to be scary.

Icarus B. Nezzer

kiwifarms.net
You’re remembering it wrong, episode 3 is just when Mami is killed. It doesn’t get to the twist that the witches are dead magical girls until around episode 5/6
It was actually Episode 8; two thirds into the show.

And pro-tip: If you're watching any show or reading any story and don't expect it to get good until the dark twist, you're doing it wrong. A really good story can get you invested in the world and it's characters before the high stakes kick into gear. A subversive twist into harsh reality can only be stronger when you know exactly what everyone has to lose and you hate to see them lose it. Contrary to popular belief, Madoka is not "the Magical Girl show for people who hate Magical Girl shows." In fact, the infamously deceptive marketing was made specifically to attract fans of the genre, and only fans of the genre, because they're the ones who would be hit the hardest when the shoe drops.

LiquidKid

kiwifarms.net
It was actually Episode 8; two thirds into the show.

And pro-tip: If you're watching any show or reading any story and don't expect it to get good until the dark twist, you're doing it wrong. A really good story can get you invested in the world and it's characters before the high stakes kick into gear. A subversive twist into harsh reality can only be stronger when you know exactly what everyone has to lose and you hate to see them lose it. Contrary to popular belief, Madoka is not "the Magical Girl show for people who hate Magical Girl shows." In fact, the infamously deceptive marketing was made specifically to attract fans of the genre, and only fans of the genre, because they're the ones who would be hit the hardest when the shoe drops.
Good catch. I haven’t actually watched the show since it was originally premiering(back when Morning Rescue Energy drink became such a popular meme with fans that it was temporarily available on J-List, now nobody remembers that phenomena)

I’d agree with you though. Madoka wasn’t any more hardcore than a typical magical girl show. Most feature heavy stakes that are often underplayed by the cute antics, Madoka just did a little less cute than most but that can be chalked up to it having only one season and cramming the whole time travel mess into that brief season, which causes all sorts of problems since the limits aren’t really explained and it feels convoluted and Mary Sue-ish that Hamura can stop time, rewind time, and store an infinitive amount of weapons in her vortex thing. Really I think if that Tsunami hadnt hit and delayed the final two episodes for months immediately after a massive cliff hander with a surprise reveal, nobody would remember it as fondly today.

but all of that would be lost on Enter who wouldn’t have understood the plot

Last edited:

m62259

Master lurker.
kiwifarms.net
Madoka just did a little less cute than most but that can be chalked up to it having only one season and cramming the whole time travel mess into that brief season, which causes all sorts of problems since the limits aren’t really explained and it feels convoluted and Mary Sue-ish that Hamura can stop time, rewind time, and store an infinitive amount of weapons in her vortex thing. Really I think if that Tsunami hadnt hit and delayed the final two episodes for months immediately after a mass cliff handed and surprise reveal, nobody would remember it as fondly today.
I feel like the fact its so short was it's biggest problem. the theme's and deconstruction are very simple compared to other urobuchi works (psycho pass, fate/zero), and even in the same "Demographic" (young girl's) you had stuff like Utena, who was created by the guy who did the anime for SAILOR MOON. (and Utena wasn't necessarily focused on magical girl tropes:you had subversion of Shojo, Shonen, and Even fairy tale tropes.)

LiquidKid

kiwifarms.net
I feel like the fact its so short was it's biggest problem. the theme's and deconstruction are very simple compared to other urobuchi works (psycho pass, fate/zero), and even in the same "Demographic" (young girl's) you had stuff like Utena, who was created by the guy who did the anime for SAILOR MOON. (and Utena wasn't necessarily focused on magical girl tropes:you had subversion of Shojo, Shonen, and Even fairy tale tropes.)
I disagree. Madoka didn’t have a concept that would have worked had it been longer since the main character is supposed to be more of a symbol and a concept rather than an actual character herself. The build up to her eventual acceptance of the contract would have never worked if it ran much longer. It’s short enough to not be annoying

but now we are super off topic

DickMain

The day Dick graced your village
kiwifarms.net
So KND without the charm, budget, or being-an-actual-existing-thing?

Optimus Prime

Resident KF Transformers Expert
kiwifarms.net
So KND without the charm, budget, or being-an-actual-existing-thing?
Or even the same fun plots, given the majority of KND villains revolve around humorously flanderized concepts of what the grown up world is, like Mr. Boss wanting to send the children of all his employees into space so said employees have no reason to go back home, thus being able to work for him 24/7.