The Nature of Memory and selfhood: -

Idiot savant

kiwifarms.net
no it means a small part of you changes. you are your body you are the coast, the mind is the ocean goin in and out. by memory most people mean experience on a much deeper sense. a bug can be trained not to like a certain volitile oils scent but it isn't capable of remembering anything. some people think all memories are still in there just not accessible by your O.S. or conscious mind but constantly being referenced by your subconscious .that would make sense to me (by people i mean neuroscientists and biologists)

shameful existence

on herself she had no pity
kiwifarms.net
I agree with you that memories shape our identity. But since you used the word foundation - I'm pretty sure our biology is the foundation of our identity.
Also, memories affect us on a deeper level than the conscious one. So forgetting something doesn't always mean losing it.

Jewthulhu

A rare deepwater Jew
kiwifarms.net
If memory is the foundation of our identity, does that mean if we forget something, even something small like the plot of a game or something, a small part of us dies? As memories define our identity.
No. There's a lot of reasons why but TL;DR the impression (or lack thereof) something left on our psyche will remain even if we can't recall it.
does genetic memory count?
Define "genetic memory"

Truly Rural

Helping the Homeless, one undead at a time
kiwifarms.net
I don't think identity is volatile thing. I don't believe identity is subject to change whatsoever. But then again it's all semantics. I do not think my identity is based on memories any more than it is based on flesh and bones. If my leg got amputated, my circumstances would definitely be different, my experience would change drastically but it would still be the same experiencer. Cells in our body constantly die and are reborn, memories come and go. There is not a single cell in us that existed 8 years ago. If by identity you meant something like personality, experience or character then I guess a part of that might die, or rather be transformed for better or worse. So rule should be to never identify oneself with things that are subject to change exactly because these things will change. This is of course easier said than done.

Same event at different times can be remembered differently. Month after a wedding, and month after the divorce person will remember their wedding differently. However it is only the experience that changed; not the experiencer. And that person's identity would be same even if they never got married. Don't mistake yourself to be the things that happened to you, or the thoughts and memories you have.

ArnoldPalmer

kiwifarms.net
Define "genetic memory"
In psychology, genetic memory is a memory present at birth that exists in the absence of sensory experience, and is incorporated into the genome over long spans of time.[1] It is based on the idea that common experiences of a species become incorporated into its genetic code, not by a Lamarckian process that encodes specific memories but by a much vaguer tendency to encode a readiness to respond in certain ways to certain stimuli.

Jewthulhu

A rare deepwater Jew
kiwifarms.net
If you get reminded of something you long forgot does that make you part zombie?
Technically, once something's in long-term memory you can't actually forget it. Your ability to recall something will decrease with time but the memory is still stored and can be recalled.
I ask because some people thing genetic memory is the passing down of autobiographical memories through the genome (ala Assassin's Creed). What the article is describing is basically just inherited instincts.

Thumb Butler

Hand over the IPs, child.
kiwifarms.net
I'm genderfluid and obviously very mentally ill, and today I'm a lesbian diaperfur. Tomorrow I might wake up rather confused and disgusted because I'm wearing a pink diaper and it's smelly.