The Neon Genesis Evangelion Thread - Death & Rebirth & Rebirth & Rebirth & Rebirth & Rebirth & Rebirth & Rebirth...

Puff

God of Chaos
kiwifarms.net
the secret Eva series Shinkalion
Shinji and the gang sporadically show up as guest stars
I have seen shit from this but never bothered to find it. It seems.....different.
I'll have to get on that.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have seen shit from this but never bothered to find it. It seems.....different.
I'll have to get on that.
It's a very sincere toy commerical show.
Original series ran over a hundred episodes, which is pretty uncommon for robot cartoons.
That one has two episodes with Eva content, one is just the main character trainsperging over the (then) soon-to-be retired Eva shinkansen, which was a real thing, then they did a follow up where he ends up in a version of Tokyo 3.
Then in the movie Shinji returns to give the MC the assist to beat the final boss with the additional help of Hatsune Miku and Godzilla

LightDragonman1

kiwifarms.net
lads, I never cared much to shipping, but one girl on twitter is almost making me a reishin shipper with her doujinshi, even more when it is the older version and using the sadamoto's version of the characters

Reishin is my preferred NGE ship (bite me, I don't see clones as incest), so I look forward to reading it should someone translate it.

It's always saddened me that there aren't many doujinshi's for those two, with the most famous NGE doujinshi being one where she dumps red paint on herself before committing suicide.

Gar For Archer

ne of my swo
kiwifarms.net
Reishin is my preferred NGE ship (bite me, I don't see clones as incest), so I look forward to reading it should someone translate it.

It's always saddened me that there aren't many doujinshi's for those two, with the most famous NGE doujinshi being one where she dumps red paint on herself before committing suicide.
If we're being technical, since she has (presumably) half the DNA of Yui and half of Lilith, it's more like fucking your half-sister than fucking your mom.

Dread First

Blaze di fire mek we bun dem!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I haven't taken Evangelion seriously since I was a pretentious high school kid. I still adore the show, but I can see the flaws where I once saw none. Also, Kawoshin is canon and Netflix removing that from the dub is queer erasure.

Registration

kiwifarms.net

In anima shinji kinda sees Rei Trois as his mother and is super awkward towards her, unlike the other reis, she kinda gets mad at him for seeing yui rather than herself. And with four reis to put in the mixer, it would kind make sense that the older one would get the mother idea.

Also I was reading ANIMA today and we get in the part that Kensuke's arm becomes salt after getting near the Ark, now we have two cripple teens, Kensuke and Toji. I hope he doesn't die, even when he betrayed NERV.

And the amount of religious references and links is way, way, way higher than the tv series or movies, it actually is part of the story, If the later volumes continue to be of the same quality as so far, ANIMA does have the possibility of being one of my favorites Evangelion series, I really enjoy the story, setting and characters in it.

Acting Commander Suzuhara is way more cooler than fake doctor suzuhara

cybertoaster

Chairman of the mammary regulation committee
kiwifarms.net
So I finally watched 3+1 you can(not) get those 3 hours of your life back

Verdict? not as bad as 3 but still meh

Pictured: anno after getting millions from weebs for over two decades and have them wait 8 9 fucking years for this
1634448677400.png

What I see is that they went with the manga's ending, both with the explanation of why gendo is such an asshole and the whole "lets reset the world and make it all happy and shit" ending which is not bad really, better than the og series ending or the WTF ending from EoE that I still remember seeing weebs debating the symbolism of it with references to the old testament until a member of the staff said all christian shit on eva was just "because it looked cool".

But the manga did it way better and now I think the rebuilds should just have gone that way instead of trying to be original for the sake of being original because when it comes to story, tone and execution the rebuilts are a joke compared to the og series. I feel at the end of the 2nd anno had no fucking idea what to do so he just tossed shit to the wall and whatever sticks became 3. Then same problem with this one but he took nearly a decade to figure something out (still kinda sucks tho).

I dont think anno wanted to troll anyone, else he would've made shinji go homo and end with kaworu making all the shitty gay ships from the past 26 years (yes it has been that fucking long) canon. Would've been awesome tho, a masterpiece of trolling over a quarter of a century in the making, how can you top that? protip: you cant, unless hitler shows up and says the holocaust was a social experiment and points at the hidden cameras.

But anno's idea of happiness and shit its straight out of a self-help book by some hack like choppra, what if you're truly fucked? if nobody gives a shit about you? plenty of people like that, and shinji isnt part of either group. He doesnt have cancer nor is a cripple, and people still care about him. I've met people who could drop dead the next day and literally nobody would give a fuck, and if they didnt make arrangements for their own funeral then they would be tossed in a paupers grave or cremated and the ashes tossed somewhere since nobody would show up to claim them.

So what do? I dont know, fortunately I'm not in that position either but the point I'm trying to make here is that anno's "advice" to otakus its basically like the secret, just visualize it and a big tiddy anime gf like mari will show up and smell your dick cheese or whatever smell fetishists do. No matter how positive you're bad shit can and will likely happen to you. And people may never care about you no matter how much you try to connect, just ask the fat chick working at your office. Have you seen the average otaku? do you think they can be saved? I dont.

As for the rest, well after 3.0 all mech designs for eva look like it was made by a methhead femboy, they tossed everything they had on this movie most likely to sell more figurines . And the fanservice it off the rails to the point its just dumb, how am I supposed to take that scene with the wunder crew trying to shot shinji seriously, how am I supposed to feel the drama if you literally shove ass and pussy in a latex bodysuit in my face?. The tech is also beyond technobabble at this point, its basically all magic, and when they mentioned quantum teleportation like that all I could think was "dont japs have wikipedia over there?".

Some things plain dont make sense like asuka walking around naked, then taking a black dildo off her eye, then it turns out she's an angel, and then a clone like rei but with feelings and shit, then she ends up with 30something background character from the series despite still looking 15 ("totally not creepy you guise, trust me" -anno). I dont get what was the point of misato having a son she basically abandoned, maybe to parallel shinji's situation but showing you dont have to be a wimpy bitch about it?.

And holy shit that cursed 3D rei/lilith, who the fuck thought it looked right?

Overall I think the whole "evangelion is shitty self-help for weebs" its a good summary for the rebuilds. There isnt as much depth to it as it seems and anno seems to be happy mostly because he's been a multi-millionaire since the mid 90's and has nothing to worry about anymore, he can pay teenage whores to dress as rei and asuka then put eels up their butts if efukt its any indication of what japs get off to.

Last edited:

Registration

kiwifarms.net
finished reading evangelion ANIMA volume 3

man, it is so much fun, all the mecha goodness without the gay self help. The characters on it makes adult decisions all the time and still have their own soul.

BroccoliBrain

my corpus callosum is on fire
kiwifarms.net
I didn't care about Gendo before but the last movie made me dislike him a little. It's relatable, sure, but so autistically Japanese. And by that I mean one woman enters his withdrawn otaku life, gives him a taste of normalcy and poon, to which he becomes obsessed with her and somehow never thinks anything like 'I'm not the only one who has felt like this' or 'I'll find another girl'. It's ridiculously single minded and he was an adult by the time Yui happened in his life so it makes him come across as manchild rather than tragic. Not particularly touching or forgiveable, no wonder he couldn't/wouldn't raise Shinji.
Or fuck knows, maybe I'm misremembering, I already forgot about this movie and only wrote this post because I still get notified about this thread on KF :drink:

LightDragonman1

kiwifarms.net
Honestly, when watching 3.0+1.0, the only thing I could think about was just how much Anno and crew were stealing from The Matrix Revolutions. It is seriously uncanny just how alike the two films are to each other.

Along with not following up on the relationships Shinji had that were built up since the first film in favor of an out of nowhere one with Mari at the last minute. For no real reason other than to (again) push themes that Anno thinks are so meaningful and complex when they aren't (same problem with 3.0).

thegooddoctor

kiwifarms.net
To me it's still the best anime show ever. Isn't EVA like the Japanese Star Wars and MCU?

BTW I prefer Shinji over Asuka and Rei.
Late reply, but maybe not the best anime ever, but the best anime movie ever, End of Evangelion is honestly where the series peaked, with its incredible spectacle and story it is an eternal classic and I don’t think was ever replicated by the series again.

Gar For Archer

ne of my swo
kiwifarms.net
Late reply, but maybe not the best anime ever, but the best anime movie ever, End of Evangelion is honestly where the series peaked, with its incredible spectacle and story it is an eternal classic and I don’t think was ever replicated by the series again.
I mean, that’s undebatable, right? I don’t think that even fans of the Rebuilds would try to argue that they’re better than the original series in any aspect other than visual spectacle. Asuka vs. the MPE’s is still my favorite animated fight scene of all time, nothing comes close.

The Rebuild movies were a victim of Eva’s wild success and popularity. End of Eva was very much a product of its time, while significantly better than the infamously disastrous production of the latter half of the show they were still working under pretty tight time constraints given that End of Eva came out a year after the show aired. The Rebuilds were under no tight time or budget constraints, which you can tell by the dumb and pointless shit that was put in just because they had the money for it, such as 3.0+1.0 starting with a completely pointless 10 minute action sequence that clashes horribly with the tone of the beginning of the movie, along with a terrible second act that feels like it came out of a CGI shitfest end fight from the MCU.
They brought Mana in some of the other games and manga, why didn’t they bring back her comrades?

View attachment 2771420
View attachment 2771423

Could have made the love polygon complicated especially since in the game Shinji got jealous when Mana was talking to one of them.
nigga shinji

Oddjob OTP

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I mean, that’s undebatable, right? I don’t think that even fans of the Rebuilds would try to argue that they’re better than the original series in any aspect other than visual spectacle. Asuka vs. the MPE’s is still my favorite animated fight scene of all time, nothing comes close.

The Rebuild movies were a victim of Eva’s wild success and popularity. End of Eva was very much a product of its time, while significantly better than the infamously disastrous production of the latter half of the show they were still working under pretty tight time constraints given that End of Eva came out a year after the show aired. The Rebuilds were under no tight time or budget constraints, which you can tell by the dumb and pointless shit that was put in just because they had the money for it, such as 3.0+1.0 starting with a completely pointless 10 minute action sequence that clashes horribly with the tone of the beginning of the movie, along with a terrible second act that feels like it came out of a CGI shitfest end fight from the MCU.

nigga shinji
I wouldn't say that I'm a fan of the Rebuilds in aggregate, but I think the ending of 2.0 was probably the single best moment in NGE and it was pretty terrible that they decided to squander that momentum making gay piano training the next movie.

Gar For Archer

ne of my swo
kiwifarms.net
I wouldn't say that I'm a fan of the Rebuilds in aggregate, but I think the ending of 2.0 was probably the single best moment in NGE and it was pretty terrible that they decided to squander that momentum making gay piano training the next movie.
The original 3.0 was literally supposed to continue straight off that and cover (at least part of) the timeskip and just not feature Shinji at all. I don’t recall why this was changed but I have to assume “not featuring ostensibly the main character of the series” was at least part of that decision. This is why the end of 2.0 preview covers stuff from the timeskip and not stuff that actually happens in the movie.

I don’t know when this change occurred but I assume it was very early on into production - my hypothesis is that the plan had already been changed when they announced that the last two movies would be a double feature (which obviously also didn’t happen). My (completely not-evidence-based) hypothesis is that this is the movie where Mari was supposed to get most of her backstory and character, since without Shinji her and Asuka would’ve likely been the main protagonists of the movie. They clearly had something planned for her, what with the hints even in 2.0 that she’s quite a bit older than she looks and had been afflicted with the “curse of Eva” well before the events of the Rebuilds.

The core of the issue is that the story Anno was trying to tell REALLY didn’t fit into the span of four movies. Even as it is, the series has 5 movies’ worth of runtime along with a “missing chapter” and a movie (2.0) that really needed to be split into two separate movies to not feel like a speedrun of plot points and exposition.