The Neon Genesis Evangelion Thread - Death & Rebirth & Rebirth & Rebirth & Rebirth & Rebirth & Rebirth & Rebirth...

PS1gamenwatch

kiwifarms.net
I'm just wondering why they never adapted the dating sim games and manga spinoffs into TV series. Haruhi Suzumiya and CLAMP series got some, why not those?

koutetsu no girlfriend 2nd i110643 v02 c007.jpg

koutetsu no girlfriend 2nd i110644 v02 c007.jpg

• Feels
Reactions: Y2KKK Baby

Oddjob OTP

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm just wondering why they never adapted the dating sim games and manga spinoffs into TV series. Haruhi Suzumiya and CLAMP series got some, why not those?
Presumably Anno (or whoever is in charge of the brand) is afraid of whoring it out too badly. You can make an endless amount of Star Wars Christmas Specials or shitty Yoda action figures because they are distant enough from the main product that people won't hold their quality against you. But your fans will blame you for dragging the quality down by releasing shit like The Phantom Menace.

That Chris Guy

kiwifarms.net
That makes it worse
I disagree. The small differences made to
his character have all been acceptable without betraying the original as far as I'm concerned, and some of those changes - like being more willing to fight for others - have led to far more severe consequences to balance it out (like being responsible for two Impacts occurring).

I wanted to skip out on the 10-minute preview and just wait for the final release, but I just couldn't help myself. Now I can't wait to see the conclusion next year.

• Islamic Content
Reactions: Y2KKK Baby

nets_awesome

I want you to lose turdy pound in one munt.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Xenogears did the Christian imagery thing with actual meaning, for better or worse depending on who you ask (with Saga really driving it home with Jesus).

In Eva it was all just used as something to set it apart at the time from other shows (and most of it is obscure jewish terms like the angel names) while its theme is more Buddhist (all returns to nothing, ect).

I do feel for sure Square was influenced heavily in the making of Xenogears and FFVII by Eva.
I played Xenogears when it first came out and I started watching NGE when it came out in the states but never finished.

Obviously there are many similarities between the two. SEELE is the Gazel Ministry. Fei is Shinji. Gendo is Krelian/Karellen. You could argue that Rei is Elly/Miang. Both series had troubled productions. Both start out as simple kill the big bads in robots stories, but have a sudden turn towards the end towards a larger and more involved plot and have a rush to get to the end.

The idea for Xenogears was originally as FF7, then as a Chrono Trigger game before finally becoming its own thing. Development started in ‘96, so it’s entirely possible that Evangelion inspired some of it (Evangelion came out in ‘95), but the idea had been around before actual development started it sounds like.

StarkRavingMad

kiwifarms.net
I love NGE ... One of the very few anime series I actually like.

I also think that people read far too much into it, especially with all of the analysis about the religious iconography placed throughout. Eva is essentially a narrative about the Hedgehog's Dilemma ... But with giant monsters and the impending apocalypse. That's it.

And Anno made the series while he was sorting out his deep depression. Clearly. There's something incredibly sincere and intriguing about that, in my opinion.

CWCchange

ǝƃuɐɥɔƆMƆ
kiwifarms.net
You could say that, or you could keep it simpler and say that it's Ideon meets Devilman.
Anno didn't make Ideon or Devilman doe.

And Anno made the series while he was sorting out his deep depression. Clearly. There's something incredibly sincere and intriguing about that, in my opinion.
He also got a lot of shit from people, from the producers playing Kick the Autistic, to his fans sending death threats, which influenced how the series developed.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
No, but they were the main influences IIRC.
As much as they get cited it seems to me to be a lot more Ultraman (giants with a time limit and a circle globe thing in their chest fight aliens and their science squad buddies stand around and pretend they matter) and UFO (shadowy conspiracy assholes everywhere and not-very-good fathers). The intro's got a lot of Bond as is that song that's lifted from On Her Majesty's Secret Service.
I think Anno says it's Ideon and Devilman with some Mazinger, but it doesn't show so much to me in the final product.

I can't imagine

kiwifarms.net
As much as they get cited it seems to me to be a lot more Ultraman (giants with a time limit and a circle globe thing in their chest fight aliens and their science squad buddies stand around and pretend they matter) and UFO (shadowy conspiracy assholes everywhere and not-very-good fathers). The intro's got a lot of Bond as is that song that's lifted from On Her Majesty's Secret Service.
I think Anno says it's Ideon and Devilman with some Mazinger, but it doesn't show so much to me in the final product.
I think the Ideon and Devilman influences are more in a thematic sense. Their plots have vaguely similar resolutions to Eva (enough that you can certainly see the inspiration), but they don't exactly get there through the same mechanisms.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Okay I hadn't actually watched the new thing until just now, and that was a lot more interesting than I expected. I'm a lot more curious about where Eva goes than I have been in a long, long time.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino