The Official Adult Swim Griefing Thread - Now With Potentially Less Bob's Burgers and Family Guy

• Sorry about the recent downtime. The database server is being autistic. The beatings will continue.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
Considering the way AS was acting around 2008-2011, the Toonami prank was out of character for them. I always thought the Toonami prank was meant as a last hurrah for the anime block or a final farewell since it was supposed to be canned at some point later on that year.
Honestly, I'm still kinda bitter about 2008-2011 to where even though I'm glad they brought Toonami back it wasn't even enough to bring me back as a viewer, though the main reason for that is simply falling out of the habit of watching cable.

But still, they gave us anime fans a pretty clear middle finger and they did so at a time when the anime industry in the west really needed them, with so many publishers and magazines folding from 2007 to 2012, they could have really used Adult Swim's continued promotion of it instead of acting like they were embarrassed of it and burying episode premieres at absurdly late timeslots.

OmnipotentStupidity

Bleeding Money at Breakneck Speeds
kiwifarms.net
This April Fools' Day, Adult Swim's prank is having all-new season premieres from their network lineup for the whole night, hosted by Post Malone, who'll decide which new episodes will premiere based on a game of Beer Pong (I think).

Will edit in the premieres as they come.
  • The first show on the docket is the Season 2 premiere of Gennedy Tartokovsky's Primal.
  • The Samurai promo for Rick and Morty was shown again, as well as an announcement/trailer for Rick and Morty Season 4B, coming Sunday May 3rd.
  • Aaaaand they ruined it. Next up is Dream Corp, LLC Season 3. Goody, so live-action shit is also gonna appear instead of the shit people actually want.
  • Next show to win the Beer Pong game was FishCenter/Off The Air, but that's considered a dud win cuz it's just a fish tank playing for thirty minutes so they scrapped it. So now it's "TigTone and TigTone's Island". Either a special, or Season 2 to TigTone.
  • Next up is...actually a brand new show: YOLO, from the creators of Bushworld Adventures.
    • Update: YOLO Crystal Fantasy is set to officially premiere on August 9th.
  • Next premiere is NOPE JUST KIDDING you don't get a new premiere this time, you get a new Robot Chicken episode from their current season instead.
    • Robot Chicken Season 10B will return in the Summer.
  • Next is Season 2 of Lazor Wulf. Oh, oh do you hear that? That's the sound of my soul leaving my body out of boredom.
    • Season 2 will premiere in the Fall, etc. etc.; if they're only airing all their B-tier shows for the rest of the night, I'm out.
Sidenote: Post Malone and his crew teased everyone by doing a bit where they were in the William Street Industries set from SGC2C, while also showing a video of someone getting their moles frozen off.
  • I'm...very unsure what this next show even is: it's some weird Goldilocks and the Three Bears parody short. Update: Oh it's a just another new show premiere: JJ Villard's Fairy Tales.
    • The show is set to premiere on May 10th.
  • Next up is the Season 3 premiere of 12 oz Mouse. They've basically given up on the beer pong thing and are just finishing up the lineup at this point. On a related note: Post Malone is currently mailing out ribs to callers who ask for them.
    • We got no more additional information on 12 oz Mouse's Season 3 release date.
  • Next big show premiere is: Tender Touches 3. ...Does anyone even remember this show? Why did this get a new season? Why is this basically just a celebration of all their filler shows that only air at 4 in the morning? I'd understand if they set the bar low, but when you open with the continuation of Primal and a Season 4B announcement for Rick and Morty, you'd think they'd have one other heavy hitter announcement.
  • The (I'm assuming) last show premiere of the night is a new show, Smiling Friends, created (again) by the creator of Bushworld Adventures, Micheal Cusack and...Zach Hadel, a.k.a. psychicpebbles, with special guest appearances from Mike Stoklasa from RedLetterMedia and Finn Wolfhard from Stranger Things. Huh.
And that's all she wrote. Not gonna lie, this April Fools' Day prank post-Primal kinda sucked.

Last edited:

Kacho

I'm a sick Kong. I like a quick dong.
kiwifarms.net
Pretty based to get a new episode of Primal out of nowhere. Kinda pissed I missed the first ten minutes because I never watch Adult Swim and it was a surprise, but still.

Both things after have been garbage. I guess we can hold out hope they preview something else decent like Uzumaki or Venture Bros.

Violence Jack

Words, that kill.
kiwifarms.net
Venture Brothers has sucked since season 4 and nobody working on it seems to give a shit. They nerfed brock 'motherfucking' samson into taking it up the ass from his dominatrix male cousin and dean is still a limp-wristed faggot who had to turn heel off-screen because letting the audience see how poorly they write any conflict of character would break their fragile atrophied minds. All the super villain politics bullshit sucks and is obvious boring filler. The show jumped the shark once the Satan/Henry Kissenger analogue started tapping on the fourth wall to move the show forward because they couldn't write an interesting enough reason for things to happen.

Syaoran Li

Goth Mom Resurrection
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've seen people discuss the peaks and valleys of Cartoon Network, but I haven't seen people do the same for Adult Swim. I have always wondered what people considered its golden years and at which point the network started to decline. I haven't actively followed AS for a long time, but I noticed their early years seemed to have more shows that got multiple seasons compared to how many one season shows or pilots they had later on. I think Rick & Morty is the newest show to get a lot of buzz.
For me, the golden years of Adult Swim were from 2004 to around early-mid 2006, with 2005 as the best year Adult Swim ever had in my book. The anime block was very strong, and the comedy lineup was good too.

You had the golden seasons of Futurama and Family Guy on there along with hidden gems like Mission Hill for the reruns, and the original comedies gave us Robot Chicken and Squidbillies in '05. Aqua Teen was good around this time too.

The decline began in 2007, with 2008-2011 being the lowest point for Adult Swim with 2009 as the absolute worst year of the lot. I think the only good things that happened on Adult Swim in 2009 was King of the Hill making its debut there and The Room airing for April Fools.

The 2012 prank and subsequent revival of Toonami was good and has been fairly good so far, I think 2014 was probably the best year for the Toonami revival so far. Black Lagoon, Space Dandy, and Hellsing Ultimate were my favorite moments that year.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
For me, the golden years of Adult Swim were from 2004 to around early-mid 2006, with 2005 as the best year Adult Swim ever had in my book. The anime block was very strong, and the comedy lineup was good too.

You had the golden seasons of Futurama and Family Guy on there along with hidden gems like Mission Hill for the reruns, and the original comedies gave us Robot Chicken and Squidbillies in '05. Aqua Teen was good around this time too.

The decline began in 2007, with 2008-2011 being the lowest point for Adult Swim with 2009 as the absolute worst year of the lot. I think the only good things that happened on Adult Swim in 2009 was King of the Hill making its debut there and The Room airing for April Fools.

The 2012 prank and subsequent revival of Toonami was good and has been fairly good so far, I think 2014 was probably the best year for the Toonami revival so far. Black Lagoon, Space Dandy, and Hellsing Ultimate were my favorite moments that year.
2004 is awfully late for the start of their golden age, I would definitely mark the start of their golden age as their very beginning in 2001.

As for the peak, 2005 is a good contender, but I would maybe pick 2006 for the end of Full Metal, the start of Eureka 7, the second season of Stand Alone Complex and the second season of Venture Brothers.

2005 is definitely a close second though, it's actually hard to pick between 2005 or 2006 the more I think about it, but I don't think the decline started in 2007, I think the decline pretty clearly started in 2008.

Venture Brothers has sucked since season 4 and nobody working on it seems to give a shit. They nerfed brock 'motherfucking' samson into taking it up the ass from his dominatrix male cousin and dean is still a limp-wristed faggot who had to turn heel off-screen because letting the audience see how poorly they write any conflict of character would break their fragile atrophied minds. All the super villain politics bullshit sucks and is obvious boring filler. The show jumped the shark once the Satan/Henry Kissenger analogue started tapping on the fourth wall to move the show forward because they couldn't write an interesting enough reason for things to happen.
The show was never the same when Patrick Warburton stopped being a regular cast member, but it stayed decent for a while.

However in 2013 I stopped without finishing whatever season was that year because it definitely started to feel stale and I haven't picked it back up since, I'm shocked it's still going tbh.

It's probably a show that should have quit while it was ahead.

Syaoran Li

Goth Mom Resurrection
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
2004 is awfully late for the start of their golden age, I would definitely mark the start of their golden age as their very beginning in 2001.

As for the peak, 2005 is a good contender, but I would maybe pick 2006 for the end of Full Metal, the start of Eureka 7, the second season of Stand Alone Complex and the second season of Venture Brothers.

2005 is definitely a close second though, it's actually hard to pick between 2005 or 2006 the more I think about it, but I don't think the decline started in 2007, I think the decline pretty clearly started in 2008.

The show was never the same when Patrick Warburton stopped being a regular cast member, but it stayed decent for a while.

However in 2013 I stopped without finishing whatever season was that year because it definitely started to feel stale and I haven't picked it back up since, I'm shocked it's still going tbh.

It's probably a show that should have quit while it was ahead.
I think you're right, the Golden Age would start in 2001 with 2005 being the peak of it, or more accurately, late 2004 to mid-2006.

2008 is when the decline truly sets in, but I'll give 2007 as the start of the decline solely because of the Boston Bomb Scandal that directly led to the malaise of 2008-2011.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
I think you're right, the Golden Age would start in 2001 with 2005 being the peak of it, or more accurately, late 2004 to mid-2006.

2008 is when the decline truly sets in, but I'll give 2007 as the start of the decline solely because of the Boston Bomb Scandal that directly led to the malaise of 2008-2011.
This is pretty fun to mull over and debate actually, but thinking again I think you're right that 2005 was their peak year.

But broadly speaking the peak would have started in 2004 with the premier of Venture Brothers, their airing of Read or Die and the premiers of Fullmetal and SAC season 1 and ended with the conclusion of Eureka 7 in spring of 2007, which would have been right after the bomb scare.

But I have a lot of fondness for the early days of 2001, 2002 and 2003 as well.

Man, Adult Swim sure was incredible in it's heyday, it's pretty much peak nostalgia for me.

2020Suicide

Homecoming King
kiwifarms.net
When they tried to advance the plot past the dean and hank clones it turned to shit. And it takes so long to come out each season is like a snapshot of bad ideas from every couple of years. It should tell you something when people still think about seasons 1+2+3 when you mention the venture bros instead of all of the seasons that came out this decade

Last edited:

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
When they tried to advance the plot past the dean and hank clones it turned to shit. And it takes so long to come out each season is like a snapshot of bad ideas from every couple of years. It should tell you something when people still think about seasons 1+2 when you mention the venture bros instead of all of the seasons that came out this decade
Do people think about season 3? Because it was great as well, even if ended on a sour note.

Or at least that season has possibly my favorite episode, the missile silo one.

Digger10

kiwifarms.net
I've always felt like the show lost something during season 4, but I've never been able to put my finger on what it was. I almost never see criticism of Venture Bros, so it's nice to hear that it's not just me.

The last thing I watched of the show was the Gargantuan One special. I think after ten years the novelty of the show had just worn off.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
I've always felt like the show lost something during season 4, but I've never been able to put my finger on what it was. I almost never see criticism of Venture Bros, so it's nice to hear that it's not just me.

The last thing I watched of the show was the Gargantuan One special. I think after ten years the novelty of the show had just worn off.
What it lost was pretty clearly Brock as a regular character and his replacement with the far less likable Sgt Hatred.

King Dead

Cops are better when they're mecha.
kiwifarms.net
The April Fool's lineup ranged from great (Primal, YOLO Crystal Fantasy, The Shivering Truth, 12 oz. Mouse) to alright (Fairy Tales, Smiling Friends) to "this shit's still on?" (Robot Chicken), but my god, I have never seen anything as painfully unfunny as Lazor Wulf. I had seen the previews for the first season before/while it was airing, and it didn't really look good at all, but since they decided to show a new episode for April Fool's and I had nothing better to do, I gave it a chance.

Boy, that was a mistake. No laughs at all, not even a smile. It was just 11 minutes of "what the fuck are any of these characters talking about" and not really caring enough to figure out the answer. It feels like a few people just sat down in a room and hammered out a first draft with no idea what they wanted for a plot, and then added a bunch of [insert joke here] that they never went back and filled in. The only thing more baffling than Adult Swim greenlighting this show is that they picked it up for a second season.

Oh, and if you called the phone number, you got a high/half-asleep guy reading some boilerplate about how Adult Swim can use what you say without compensation, then you could leave a voicemail. I dunno what would actually happen if you left your address on their machine, but if they actually sent ribs in the mail, that would be bizarre and great.

Not the greatest April Fool's in the world, but it was alright. Didn't have anything better to do for a few hours, so whatever. Considering all the disruptions the Wu Flu is causing in entertainment, we might be lucky that we got anything at all. Still just a little bit disappointed that we didn't get Gemusetto Machu Picchu season 2 though.

cactus

Cactus Juice Connoisseur
kiwifarms.net
They should just play The Room every year again, it sounds like.

And not liking what happened in a show does not equate to that show sucking, in reference to Venture Bros of course, because most AS shows suck.

Digger10

kiwifarms.net
Boy, that was a mistake. No laughs at all, not even a smile. It was just 11 minutes of "what the fuck are any of these characters talking about" and not really caring enough to figure out the answer. It feels like a few people just sat down in a room and hammered out a first draft with no idea what they wanted for a plot, and then added a bunch of [insert joke here] that they never went back and filled in. The only thing more baffling than Adult Swim greenlighting this show is that they picked it up for a second season.
Adult Swim's forte is random humor. One of their most consistent problems is that sometimes they focus too much on the "random" and not enough on the "humor".

ReeferRoach

Eat Gumbo
kiwifarms.net
I just finished Moral Orel the other day, and that show really was ahead of its time. It tackles the idea of a crumbling family structure really well and the idea of using religion as an unhealthy form of coping is a unique idea. I would defiantly recommend it.

Tags
None