The Official Adult Swim Griefing Thread - Now With Potentially Less Bob's Burgers and Family Guy

Commander X

kiwifarms.net
Venture Brothers has sucked since season 4 and nobody working on it seems to give a shit. They nerfed brock 'motherfucking' samson into taking it up the ass from his dominatrix male cousin and dean is still a limp-wristed faggot who had to turn heel off-screen because letting the audience see how poorly they write any conflict of character would break their fragile atrophied minds. All the super villain politics bullshit sucks and is obvious boring filler. The show jumped the shark once the Satan/Henry Kissenger analogue started tapping on the fourth wall to move the show forward because they couldn't write an interesting enough reason for things to happen.
After a while it was as if the producers were writing to appeal to the sort of wiki dorks who wanted Venture Brothers to ditch the jokes and have more backstory and drama so they can catalog and obsess over every detail.

GeneralFriendliness

General of Dokar's Soy-Slaying Anti-Lego Regiment
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
After a while it was as if the producers were writing to appeal to the sort of wiki dorks who wanted Venture Brothers to ditch the jokes and have more backstory and drama so they can catalog and obsess over every detail.
It definitely started taking itself way more seriously than it needed too and creating too many plot lines that don't really lead to anything. They also retconned the season 1 Gargantua episode and the PROBLEM machine for the sake of some deepest lore Movie Night bullshit that doesn't even make much sense. The PROBLEM wasn't broken because of an action figure or Rusty's pee (despite that obviously being the case) but it was actually blinking because Rusty's dad's severed head was in the machine asking for help while surviving on rats, but then he dies so its a mute point. They keep adding all these pointless mysteries that really don't amount to anything that gives any closure or interest. Like Myra, the crazy lady implied to be Hank and Dean's mom. Dr. Venture said he fucked her, and she calls them her kids and she looks like Hank. Boom, mystery solved with a dark humorous twist with added comedy by Killinger Poppins, but then they retcon her to not be their real mother as to imply some sort of grander mystery. Like really? Who would give a shit who their real mother is? She made the most sense and it was funny to boot, so why go down this path just to tard cum this show for more pointless mysteries and seasons? And then there's the Old Team Venture and Sphinx. Sure they were funny the first time but they just kept jerking off the characters for more pointless and unfunny cameos to make you feel bad for them for no reason. Regardless of varying opinions, most seem to agree that the show took a drastic nosedive after Warburton left the main cast and got replaced by the horribly unfunny Sgt. Hatred.

Last edited:

King Dead

Cops are better when they're mecha.
kiwifarms.net
I just finished Moral Orel the other day, and that show really was ahead of its time. It tackles the idea of a crumbling family structure really well and the idea of using religion as an unhealthy form of coping is a unique idea. I would defiantly recommend it.
It's unfortunate that Moral Orel didn't get all the episodes it was originally supposed to, so a few plotlines had to be cut short or removed entirely. After the really dark season 2 finale (the hunting trip), the third season was greenlit, and the higher-ups said that they wanted it to go even darker. So Dino did just as they asked. When it came time to preview what they were working on, he showed them the episode with Nurse Bendy, Ms. Censordall, and Ms. Sculptham in their apartments, including Ms. Sculptham having rape and abortion flashbacks. That proved too dark for the higher-ups, so they lowered the episode order to 13 instead of the original 20, and they canceled plans for continued seasons after that. They did at least greenlight a one-hour prequel special a few years later, so there's that.

It really is a shame that it ended when it did. Moral Orel is probably the most mature show Adult Swim has ever produced, helping to show that adult animation doesn't have to just be sex jokes and swearing. It dealt with a lot of painful topics (fueled in no small part by Dino's divorce at the time), and along the way it developed its cast into three-dimensional characters (insert joke here about stop motion animation). It's got a lot of emotional gutpunches, but it also has its share of heartwarming moments, and it ends on a positive note. I just wish we could have gotten more.

SuudsuAddict

kiwifarms.net
What do you guys think about Smiling Friends? I like it. It feels like an early Adult Swim cartoon.

Last edited:

ReeferRoach

Eat Gumbo
kiwifarms.net
When it came time to preview what they were working on, he showed them the episode with Nurse Bendy, Ms. Censordall, and Ms. Sculptham in their apartments, including Ms. Sculptham having rape and abortion flashbacks. That proved too dark for the higher-ups, so they lowered the episode order to 13 instead of the original 20, and they canceled plans for continued seasons after that. They did at least greenlight a one-hour prequel special a few years later, so there's that.
Yeah, that's what I saw on the wiki and a couple of interviews after binging the show. It's a shame we didn't see the 2 seasons that would flesh out the townsfolk and city itself. The biggest downside to me is not seeing Orel lose his trust in his role models completely and becoming somewhat jerk (The phrase dino used was "goth", but that seems less realistic than just being depressed. So I'm assuming that's what he means), but somewhat bouncing back albeit more jaded while being able to think for himself after spending time with his grandpa (Clay's dying father). They went with a more convenient ending, but it is palpable how rushed the ending was.

• Feels
Reactions: Uncanny Valley

murdered meat bag

kiwifarms.net
I thought the Venture Bros was fine through its run.

Saw episodes of brak show and 12oz mouse on their site, I recall liking them at the time, but wow, that shit did not age well. Stoker and Hoop is probably the best of those gems.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I hated Stoker and Hoop.

I re-watched the Eltingville pilot and that held up well despite visually being heavily inspired by the Clerk's cartoon. Or maybe that was just the thing at the time because Mission Hill was another one that had the same kind of art style.

That's another one, hey Adult Swim, bring back Mission Hill. Would need to re-cast some of the voices but why not?

Or Korgoth. Make Korgoth a show already.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
I hated Stoker and Hoop.

I re-watched the Eltingville pilot and that held up well despite visually being heavily inspired by the Clerk's cartoon. Or maybe that was just the thing at the time because Mission Hill was another one that had the same kind of art style.

That's another one, hey Adult Swim, bring back Mission Hill. Would need to re-cast some of the voices but why not?

Or Korgoth. Make Korgoth a show already.
I liked Stoker and Hoop.

But I agree about Korgoth, it's absurd to me that they didn't give Korgoth a full series.

GeneralFriendliness

General of Dokar's Soy-Slaying Anti-Lego Regiment
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's unfortunate that Moral Orel didn't get all the episodes it was originally supposed to, so a few plotlines had to be cut short or removed entirely. After the really dark season 2 finale (the hunting trip), the third season was greenlit, and the higher-ups said that they wanted it to go even darker. So Dino did just as they asked. When it came time to preview what they were working on, he showed them the episode with Nurse Bendy, Ms. Censordall, and Ms. Sculptham in their apartments, including Ms. Sculptham having rape and abortion flashbacks. That proved too dark for the higher-ups, so they lowered the episode order to 13 instead of the original 20, and they canceled plans for continued seasons after that. They did at least greenlight a one-hour prequel special a few years later, so there's that.

It really is a shame that it ended when it did. Moral Orel is probably the most mature show Adult Swim has ever produced, helping to show that adult animation doesn't have to just be sex jokes and swearing. It dealt with a lot of painful topics (fueled in no small part by Dino's divorce at the time), and along the way it developed its cast into three-dimensional characters (insert joke here about stop motion animation). It's got a lot of emotional gutpunches, but it also has its share of heartwarming moments, and it ends on a positive note. I just wish we could have gotten more.
I'm grateful it ended when it did. Like or hate how dark the show got because of higher up demands or that it didn't get enough episodes, the final scene is the real highlight.
1587193292672.jpeg

Despite how fucked up the show got and all the weird and messed up purgatory-tier shit and social decay that happened to the character, he didn't let that break his faith and will, and in the end was able to find his own happiness and loved ones, as did his brothers while learning from past mistakes, showing that you gotta push on forward into the future and fight through the grief instead of letting it consume you for the sake of a better tomorrow. A rare thing in a somber parody show of this kind.
Proverbs 23:18-28 There is surely a future hope for you, and your hope will not be cut off.

Last edited:

King Dead

Cops are better when they're mecha.
kiwifarms.net
On the other hand I’d wish they’d air more older stuff on Toonami... on the other hand much of it is listened by funi and the less money they make the better.
You're in luck, thanks to the Wu Flu messing with dub production, they're replacing Food Wars with Paranoia Agent next week. Granted, Funi just picked up the license for it a couple months ago, but hey, it's a classic, so I'll take it. Depending on how long this goes on for, we might see some more older shows popping up over the next few months.

That's been my one main problem with Toonami, a heavy reliance on trying to get the flavor-of-the-month while ignoring decades of great shows. They've had more hits than misses, but I'd like it if there were at least one older show on the block most of the time.
I'm grateful it ended when it did. Like or hate how dark the show got because of higher up demands or that it didn't get enough episodes, the final scene is the real highlight.
View attachment 1238558
Despite how fucked up the show got and all the weird and messed up purgatory-tier shit and social decay that happened to the character, he didn't let that break his faith and will, and in the end was able to find his own happiness and loved ones, as did his brothers while learning from past mistakes, showing that you gotta push on forward into the future and fight through the grief instead of letting it consume you for the sake of a better tomorrow. A rare thing in a somber parody show of this kind.
Yeah, the end is still good no matter what. From the rest of the show, they could easily have gone with a downer ending. I think Dino himself realized that he was putting a bit too much of his cynicism from his divorce into the show towards the end, so I'm glad he managed to write a happy ending for the series. Not just the actual end, but putting in good endings for several of the other characters too (Joe reconnecting with Nurse Bendy, Reverend Putty accepting Stephanie for being a lesbian, Coach Stopframe moving on from Clay). Highly underrated series.

Notgoodwithusernames

My wife’s boyfriend is my son
kiwifarms.net
You're in luck, thanks to the Wu Flu messing with dub production, they're replacing Food Wars with Paranoia Agent next week. Granted, Funi just picked up the license for it a couple months ago, but hey, it's a classic, so I'll take it. Depending on how long this goes on for, we might see some more older shows popping up over the next few months.

That's been my one main problem with Toonami, a heavy reliance on trying to get the flavor-of-the-month while ignoring decades of great shows. They've had more hits than misses, but I'd like it if there were at least one older show on the block most of the time.
Toonami Aftermath is a decent alternative though I find it has the same problem as Netflix where the lineup is pretty meaty but at the same time feels a bit limited (also they play the MCdonalds Nsync commercial one every 20 minutes

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
Wow, I can't believe we live in a world where Paranoia Agent is being broadcast on US television again, that's awesome.

While it's been a long time since I've actually watched it I remember it very well and the series is more relevant for the US now than it was when it originally aired, the whole idea of social contagion causing society breakdown is what's really happening in the US.

Tags
None