The Official Adult Swim Griefing Thread - Now With Potentially Less Bob's Burgers and Family Guy

Digger10

kiwifarms.net

Stuck in Corners

Please, seek help.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Are we ever going to see Turner ever contemplate on Adult swim becoming it's own channel? That debt is way way overdue.

Just simply air all of the TV-14 shit during the day and The MA content during the night. I know they have streaming services but they could've at least kept cable users in their thoughts.

Dom Cruise

She had no one to play with for thirty years...
kiwifarms.net
Are we ever going to see Turner ever contemplate on Adult swim becoming it's own channel? That debt is way way overdue.

Just simply air all of the TV-14 shit during the day and The MA content during the night. I know they have streaming services but they could've at least kept cable users in their thoughts.

I feel like the window for Adult Swim becoming its own separate channel entirely closed sometime in the early 2010s or so.

With cable seeming like it's on it's way out now, I don't know if that idea could make sense now.

King Dead

Cops are better when they're mecha.
kiwifarms.net
I feel like the window for Adult Swim becoming its own separate channel entirely closed sometime in the early 2010s or so.

With cable seeming like it's on it's way out now, I don't know if that idea could make sense now.
Basically this. While I think they would actually have enough content to fill out a 24-hour schedule if they pulled out all the programs they've produced over the past twenty years, possibly supplemented with licensing more anime or older cartoons produced for other networks like they did in the beginning, I dunno how well they'd be able to get it picked up by the various TV providers. If they don't think they'll be getting any more eyeballs than they are currently, then there's not much reason to do it, especially with traditional TV doing worse and worse every year. Better to keep doing what they're doing and hold on until whatever replaces TV comes along, then make plans to transition to that when the time comes.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
Basically this. While I think they would actually have enough content to fill out a 24-hour schedule if they pulled out all the programs they've produced over the past twenty years, possibly supplemented with licensing more anime or older cartoons produced for other networks like they did in the beginning, I dunno how well they'd be able to get it picked up by the various TV providers. If they don't think they'll be getting any more eyeballs than they are currently, then there's not much reason to do it, especially with traditional TV doing worse and worse every year. Better to keep doing what they're doing and hold on until whatever replaces TV comes along, then make plans to transition to that when the time comes.

There will always be a place for Adult Swim's "vibe" of humor and content, even if it winds up on streaming services or whatever.

In fact Adult Swim is kind of a masterclass in branding, any sort of Adult Swim related product whether it's a game they published or whatever you know there's a certain "vibe" to it even if you can't define what exactly that is (although of course the closest would be to simply call it "stoner" but that's still an oversimplification)

So it's definitely a brand that can survive outside of its original context of late night adult programming on an otherwise kid friendly channel.

• Agree
Reactions: Syaoran Li

OmnipotentStupidity

Bleeding Money at Breakneck Speeds
kiwifarms.net
There will always be a place for Adult Swim's "vibe" of humor and content, even if it winds up on streaming services or whatever.

In fact Adult Swim is kind of a masterclass in branding, any sort of Adult Swim related product whether it's a game they published or whatever you know there's a certain "vibe" to it even if you can't define what exactly that is (although of course the closest would be to simply call it "stoner" but that's still an oversimplification)

So it's definitely a brand that can survive outside of its original context of late night adult programming on an otherwise kid friendly channel.
Surrealist whimsy, maybe?

Syaoran Li

I'm running this Monkey Farm now!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Adult Swim needs a Sealab 2021 filthy redub of Captain N: The Gamemaster or any one of those shitty programs of its ilk. I work cheap and I'd love to move back to Atlanta. Let's make it happen.

Would love to see this. You might have to do a total reboot since there's no way in Hell that Nintendo would sign off on letting their IP's be in a raunchy Adult Swim comedy.

Given how a lot of 90's and early 2000's cartoons are now entering the "classic nostalgia" age that the Hanna-Barbera stuff from the 60's and 70's were when Adult Swim first launched in the early 2000's, maybe we could see some of those rebooted for Adult Swim?

Johnny Bravo would probably work very well for an Adult Swim comedy, but at the same time, I think the Adult Swim stuff was the lesser known stuff from the Hanna-Barbera catalog, which is why we had stuff like Sealab 2021, Harvey Birdman, and Space Ghost as opposed to Scooby-Doo or The Flintstones.

(On a side note, I'm honestly surprised they never dug up The Roman Holidays for an Adult Swim reboot in the early days. Of course, that might've been a little too obscure even for 2002-era Williams Street)

If I were going to go with the lesser-known CN classics from the Turn of the Millennium to give the Harvey Birdman/Sealab 2021 treatment, I'd go with something really out of left field but that could also work with the style.

I'm thinking Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi could be interesting as an Adult Swim show, but they might have to change the names of the characters so they're not tied to the actual band.

If I were to reboot it, I'd go the extra mile of surreal dark comedy by tying it into a Metalocalypse revival and maybe have them set in the same universe.

I'd even make it a parody of old-school edgelord anime like Elfen Lied and Hellsing or the OVA Boom stuff from the 80's and early 90's. The original CN show was greenlit to cash in on the big anime boom of the early and mid-2000's and the popularity of Hello Kitty.

And yes, I gladly and graciously accept all the autistic ratings this spergy post deserves.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
Would love to see this. You might have to do a total reboot since there's no way in Hell that Nintendo would sign off on letting their IP's be in a raunchy Adult Swim comedy.

Given how a lot of 90's and early 2000's cartoons are now entering the "classic nostalgia" age that the Hanna-Barbera stuff from the 60's and 70's were when Adult Swim first launched in the early 2000's, maybe we could see some of those rebooted for Adult Swim?

Johnny Bravo would probably work very well for an Adult Swim comedy, but at the same time, I think the Adult Swim stuff was the lesser known stuff from the Hanna-Barbera catalog, which is why we had stuff like Sealab 2021, Harvey Birdman, and Space Ghost as opposed to Scooby-Doo or The Flintstones.

(On a side note, I'm honestly surprised they never dug up The Roman Holidays for an Adult Swim reboot in the early days. Of course, that might've been a little too obscure even for 2002-era Williams Street)

If I were going to go with the lesser-known CN classics from the Turn of the Millennium to give the Harvey Birdman/Sealab 2021 treatment, I'd go with something really out of left field but that could also work with the style.

I'm thinking Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi could be interesting as an Adult Swim show, but they might have to change the names of the characters so they're not tied to the actual band.

If I were to reboot it, I'd go the extra mile of surreal dark comedy by tying it into a Metalocalypse revival and maybe have them set in the same universe.

I'd even make it a parody of old-school edgelord anime like Elfen Lied and Hellsing or the OVA Boom stuff from the 80's and early 90's. The original CN show was greenlit to cash in on the big anime boom of the early and mid-2000's and the popularity of Hello Kitty.

And yes, I gladly and graciously accept all the autistic ratings this spergy post deserves.

I agree, Adult Swim doing parodies of CN's own shows instead of old Hanna-Barbera is a great idea.

Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi is a perfect pick, but I also think Megas XLR would be a perfect pick for an Adult Swim revival, that probably should have been an Adult Swim cartoon from the start really.

ReeferRoach

Eat Gumbo
kiwifarms.net

That's honestly a really good idea, it's a great call back to early low budget Adult Swim which was WAY more parody based than today. And you also get the added benifit of seeing the shows cartoon network killed, but in a Shin-Chan style dub.

King Dead

Cops are better when they're mecha.
kiwifarms.net
I agree, Adult Swim doing parodies of CN's own shows instead of old Hanna-Barbera is a great idea.

Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi is a perfect pick, but I also think Megas XLR would be a perfect pick for an Adult Swim revival, that probably should have been an Adult Swim cartoon from the start really.
Unfortunately, Megas XLR was written off by CN, so they can't legally show it or distribute it, and that includes Adult Swim and Toonami. By extension, that also means no revival. According to a tweet from George Krstic last year, Warner Bros. owns the rights now, but he doesn't know how much they'd cost to be able to show it on Toonami. It might be more than they can afford at the moment anyway, what with two original anime productions in the works.

Apparently there's a Birdgirl series in development, but I dunno if that's still going forward. Putting a twist on old CN cartoons could be an interesting idea, now that a lot of them are over two decades old. Anything to avoid their greenlighting more garbage like Lazor Wulf. Goddamn anti-humor right there.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
Unfortunately, Megas XLR was written off by CN, so they can't legally show it or distribute it, and that includes Adult Swim and Toonami. By extension, that also means no revival. According to a tweet from George Krstic last year, Warner Bros. owns the rights now, but he doesn't know how much they'd cost to be able to show it on Toonami. It might be more than they can afford at the moment anyway, what with two original anime productions in the works.

Apparently there's a Birdgirl series in development, but I dunno if that's still going forward. Putting a twist on old CN cartoons could be an interesting idea, now that a lot of them are over two decades old. Anything to avoid their greenlighting more garbage like Lazor Wulf. Goddamn anti-humor right there.

Yeah, I remember hearing there was something borked about Megas XLR, but I can dream can't I?

Why did that show do so poorly? It was great!

horrorfan89

Resident Master of the dark and all things macabre
kiwifarms.net
Tags
None