The Official Adult Swim Griefing Thread - Now With Potentially Less Bob's Burgers and Family Guy

Shokew

Trial by Fire! Trial by Fire!
kiwifarms.net
I agree with most of you that a show like Megas XLR (and Sym-Bionic Titan, as well, because how dare anyone forget about that show, ever.) should have been Adult Swim shows from the very fucking beginning. It (as well as Sym-Bionic Titan) might have lasted longer and been allowed to get even better than they started, too.

CN made a mistake mistreating either of these, so you think Adult Swim could pick up the slack if it wasn't for all that tax write-off crap. It still hurts my head to this day and explains a lot about why CN is in such dire straights to the internet at large, especially when Gay Crying Space Rocks is the so-called best thing people can talk about wasting any fraction of time with (also especially when Adventure Time, Regular Show, and Gumball were better, something i treat as FACT.).

Furthermore, besides Primal, Adult Swim could use more class that anime (Toonami) by itself can only do so much of, since Rick and Morty (for example) is continuously falling out of favor/style and has been for a long time now, despite people outside of here not shutting up about it, as well.

Heads up boys. Looks like we're not getting anything even remotely close to what you're proposing but instead this
https://amp.cinemablend.com/televis...orite-is-getting-resurrected-on-cable-channel

Great a show that was an unfunny hack job clone of bojack horseman that in its final episodes became preachy, pandering drivel.

I miss when adult swim was a boy's club...
Yeah... The sad part in all of this is that instead of brining back a show very few people have heard of or even dared to consider OK at best, Adult Swim could have made its own Bojack Horseman by now. Well, that's if they had the balls to, that is. Rick and Morty doesn't exactly count, either - at least not anymore, with how said show has fallen apart on itself in such short time, too.

Reactions: Oban Kamz

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
I miss when adult swim was a boy's club...
I wouldn't even necessarily say it was, some shows might have been more male oriented than others but for the most part I'd say Adult Swim was more gender neutral than a "boy's club" or at least not explicitly that, it was actually going against the grain of 2000s culture by not being explicitly geared towards any gender unlike say Spike TV or whatever, it was more for fans of absurdist humor or anime in general, not explicitly one way or the other male or female.

Fullmetal Alchemist had a huge female following for example and I believe Venture Bros has a pretty big female following as well.

Them making a show explicitly for a female audience is an ill fit for Adult Swim though, it should lean more towards gender neutral than that.

Shokew

kiwifarms.net
I wouldn't even necessarily say it was, some shows might have been more male oriented than others but for the most part I'd say Adult Swim was more gender neutral than a "boy's club" or at least not explicitly that, it was actually going against the grain of 2000s culture by not being explicitly geared towards any gender unlike say Spike TV or whatever, it was more for fans of absurdist humor or anime in general, not explicitly one way or the other male or female.

Fullmetal Alchemist had a huge female following for example and I believe Venture Bros has a pretty big female following as well.

Them making a show explicitly for a female audience is an ill fit for Adult Swim though, it should lean more towards gender neutral than that.
That alone..... Is why Tuca and Bertie coming to this channel? Valid argument for what is a BAD idea, honestly. Keep in mind that the show wasn't popular on Netflix, either - unlike how Bojack Horseman was and earned for itself that popularity..... Yeah. I know for a FACT some troubles ahead here.

Syaoran Li

Commie Punks Fuck Off!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
That alone..... Is why Tuca and Bertie coming to this channel? Valid argument for what is a BAD idea, honestly. Keep in mind that the show wasn't popular on Netflix, either - unlike how Bojack Horseman was and earned for itself that popularity..... Yeah. I know for a FACT some troubles ahead here.
If Adult Swim is going woke...does that mean Toonami is truly doomed?

SJW's tend to have an irrational hatred for anime or anything remotely weeb-related, barring a few nostalgic exceptions like Pokemon (more normie kid fare than weeb at this point) or Sailor Moon (because 90's nostalgia and muh lesbians)

Guess whomever is replacing Mike Lazzo is probably a woke-meister or at least willing to bow to them, even as woke culture is now becoming increasingly disliked by fans and normies alike.

...or maybe I'm just being a dumb sperg and overreacting to this.

It's entirely possible they got Tuca and Bertie as part of some deal to get the rights to a bunch of other stuff and they're giving it a new season out of contractual obligation. IIRC, there were a few shows in both the anime and comedy libraries that were like that on Adult Swim,

The infamous dubs of Pilot Candidate and Reign: The Conqueror were aired because of some contract that let them get other shows, and I think the same thing may have happened to some of the older rerun comedies in the 2000's.

I remember back in 2009, during the peak of Adult Swim's dark age, they aired reruns of short-lived Turn of the Millennium shows like The PJ's, the Clerks cartoon, or God, The Devil, & Bob as part of some wider deal. IIRC, they only aired those shows enough times to do a full run and we never saw 'em on Adult Swim again.

Even short-lived stuff like Mission Hill and Baby Blues got re-aired multiple times after they had the full run on Adult Swim, and they kept airing on the comedy block right up until Adult Swim lost the rights.

Shokew

kiwifarms.net

SJW's tend to have an irrational hatred for anime or anything remotely weeb-related, barring a few nostalgic exceptions like Pokemon (more normie kid fare than weeb at this point) or Sailor Moon (because 90's nostalgia and muh lesbians)

Guess whomever is replacing Mike Lazzo is probably a woke-meister or at least willing to bow to them, even as woke culture is now becoming increasingly disliked by fans and normies alike.

It's entirely possible they got Tuca and Bertie as part of some deal to get the rights to a bunch of other stuff and they're giving it a new season out of contractual obligation. IIRC, there were a few shows in both the anime and comedy libraries that were like that on Adult Swim,

The infamous dubs of Pilot Candidate and Reign: The Conqueror were aired because of some contract that let them get other shows, and I think the same thing may have happened to some of the older rerun comedies in the 2000's.

I remember back in 2009, during the peak of Adult Swim's dark age, they aired reruns of short-lived Turn of the Millennium shows like The PJ's, the Clerks cartoon, or God, The Devil, & Bob as part of some wider deal. IIRC, they only aired those shows enough times to do a full run and we never saw 'em on Adult Swim again.

Even short-lived stuff like Mission Hill and Baby Blues got re-aired multiple times after they had the full run on Adult Swim, and they kept airing on the comedy block right up until Adult Swim lost the rights.
You're overreacting, m8. Tuca and Bertie will likely come and go and better stuff that appeals to more than just females will likely take its place if it doesn't have what viewers are truly looking for with it - an actual sense of entertainment that speaks to everyone, not just one gender.

King Dead

Cops are better when they're mecha.
kiwifarms.net

Yeah, I wouldn't get too worked up just yet. There are countless shows that Adult Swim has greenlit for one season, maybe two, and are then shoved in the vault, never to be seen again except on rare occasions at the 4AM slot. I doubt anyone was clamoring for more of this show outside of Twitter, and I'd like to think the execs have at least a little more of an inkling that Twitter is not representative of reality. Or put another way, if any media execs knew that hashtags don't translate to viewers, I'd wager Adult Swim's would.

Note that they didn't even get the rights to show the first season. If they were really interested in the show, they probably would have tried to work out a deal to get those as well. I wouldn't be surprised if this were part of a bigger deal to get rights to other shows, like you suggested. They'll run shows they actually like and care about as much as they can, and anything that doesn't work out disappears.

And the only thing that's really hampering Toonami at the moment is the Wu Flu impacting dubbing schedules. MHA is having to do reruns for three weeks while they figure out how to get Deku's VA a better microphone, other shows they've been wanting to air have been postponed, and they've had to resort to rerunning Mob Psycho 100 and Paranoia Agent to fill time. Granted, Mob is always fun and Paranoia Agent is a classic that hasn't run on Toonami before, but people generally want to watch new stuff.

I don't think Toonami is going anywhere so long as Jason Demarco's at the helm. I don't always agree with the shows he's decided to air (gen:lock being the worst of the bunch, though that was probably a corporate mandate), and I wish he'd get the rights to some more classic shows instead of only relying on the seasonal flavor of the month, but I think he has a genuine love of anime and wants to keep his baby going as long as possible. He even got Sym-Bionic Titan and Thundercats 2011 one more time in the spotlight, though unfortunately didn't manage to get a second season for each; to be fair, that was earlier in Toonami's run when he had a little less leeway, as opposed to now when they've funded two sequels to FLCL and have two more series in the works. His politics might be a little questionable (don't browse his Twitter for too long, but that's good advice for anyone), but I don't think he's fallen into wokeness yet. We're still getting shows with good amounts of fanservice in them, which is a big SJW no-no, so I think we're fine for now.

Notgoodwithusernames

My wife’s boyfriend is my son
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, I wouldn't get too worked up just yet. There are countless shows that Adult Swim has greenlit for one season, maybe two, and are then shoved in the vault, never to be seen again except on rare occasions at the 4AM slot. I doubt anyone was clamoring for more of this show outside of Twitter, and I'd like to think the execs have at least a little more of an inkling that Twitter is not representative of reality. Or put another way, if any media execs knew that hashtags don't translate to viewers, I'd wager Adult Swim's would.

Note that they didn't even get the rights to show the first season. If they were really interested in the show, they probably would have tried to work out a deal to get those as well. I wouldn't be surprised if this were part of a bigger deal to get rights to other shows, like you suggested. They'll run shows they actually like and care about as much as they can, and anything that doesn't work out disappears.

And the only thing that's really hampering Toonami at the moment is the Wu Flu impacting dubbing schedules. MHA is having to do reruns for three weeks while they figure out how to get Deku's VA a better microphone, other shows they've been wanting to air have been postponed, and they've had to resort to rerunning Mob Psycho 100 and Paranoia Agent to fill time. Granted, Mob is always fun and Paranoia Agent is a classic that hasn't run on Toonami before, but people generally want to watch new stuff.

I don't think Toonami is going anywhere so long as Jason Demarco's at the helm. I don't always agree with the shows he's decided to air (gen:lock being the worst of the bunch, though that was probably a corporate mandate), and I wish he'd get the rights to some more classic shows instead of only relying on the seasonal flavor of the month, but I think he has a genuine love of anime and wants to keep his baby going as long as possible. He even got Sym-Bionic Titan and Thundercats 2011 one more time in the spotlight, though unfortunately didn't manage to get a second season for each; to be fair, that was earlier in Toonami's run when he had a little less leeway, as opposed to now when they've funded two sequels to FLCL and have two more series in the works. His politics might be a little questionable (don't browse his Twitter for too long, but that's good advice for anyone), but I don't think he's fallen into wokeness yet. We're still getting shows with good amounts of fanservice in them, which is a big SJW no-no, so I think we're fine for now.
On the topic of toonami Ive been rewatching a lot of the old toonami promos (am about half way through the tom 1 era). Its odd how often Moltar is overlooked given that he was the block's mascot for the first 2,5 years of its existence.

Sir Wesley Tailpipe

kiwifarms.net
This was always one of my favorite shows on Adult Swim. Shame it only lasted 13 episodes. But I suppose that's for the....

Penis! Penis penis penis penis penis!
Mission Hill, Clone High, UnderGrads, The Oblongs and Spider-Man: The New Animated Series all lasted only 13 episodes because they were an animation block on MTV that got cancelled when there was a change in upper management. The incoming VP of programming hated animation and felt MTV was no place for it, in spite of all the shows getting good to great ratings, and second seasons being in the works to varying degrees.

I had read years ago that the second seasons of Mission Hill and UnderGrads were fully scripted, and some voice tracks and animatics may have been underway.

The Spider-Man series almost got picked up by another network, but they wanted the show toned down from the TV-MA rating and the deal fell apart when Marvel sided with Mainframe Studios on the matter.

King Dead

kiwifarms.net
On the topic of toonami Ive been rewatching a lot of the old toonami promos (am about half way through the tom 1 era). Its odd how often Moltar is overlooked given that he was the block's mascot for the first 2,5 years of its existence.
I don't think it's all that weird. The earliest years of the block are naturally going to be remembered less, and much of Moltar's tenure was before Sailor Moon and DBZ aired. The block only really got popular after those shows launched, but Moltar didn't stick around long enough to make much of an impact on viewers. Plus I think TOM's design and the Absolution were more memorable than Moltar running a console on Ghost Planet.

Despite the fact that I watch a lot more anime outside of Toonami, I still tune in and watch it weekly with a group of friends. There's something about the format that keeps me coming back every week, partly nostalgia, partly entertainment. Whether it's Steve Blum voicing a robot, the well-edited promos and music videos, or the standard 8/10 vidya reviews, I appreciate Adult Swim for taking a chance and bringing back Toonami. Eight years later, I'm happy to keep watching. The fact I won several of their contests and they sent me a bunch of free stuff doesn't hurt either.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
I definitely remember that Moltar was the original host of Toonami.

Bummer, that's why they chose to reair Paranoia Agent? I thought it was just to introduce a great show to a new generation.

• Agree
Reactions: Syaoran Li

King Dead

kiwifarms.net
I definitely remember that Moltar was the original host of Toonami.

Bummer, that's why they chose to reair Paranoia Agent? I thought it was just to introduce a great show to a new generation.
I mean, it could be a little of column A, a little of column B. I think Funimation also recently purchased the rights to it, so that made it easy to get it for Toonami. But yeah, it's mostly due to dubbing schedules getting thrown out the window. They certainly could have done worse, and I haven't seen it in forever, so I'm glad they chose to reair it.

I'd love to see some more older shows on Toonami personally, which is the one sticking point I have with the block and its focus on only the newest of the new. There are a lot of classics that would probably do well on Toonami, and I'm guessing for less than it costs to license a new show. The last older show they aired was Outlaw Star, and that was a couple years ago. It was good to see it broadcast in HD and uncensored, at least.

• Agree

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
I mean, it could be a little of column A, a little of column B. I think Funimation also recently purchased the rights to it, so that made it easy to get it for Toonami. But yeah, it's mostly due to dubbing schedules getting thrown out the window. They certainly could have done worse, and I haven't seen it in forever, so I'm glad they chose to reair it.

I'd love to see some more older shows on Toonami personally, which is the one sticking point I have with the block and its focus on only the newest of the new. There are a lot of classics that would probably do well on Toonami, and I'm guessing for less than it costs to license a new show. The last older show they aired was Outlaw Star, and that was a couple years ago. It was good to see it broadcast in HD and uncensored, at least.
Did they finally stop replaying Bebop on an endless loop?

Reactions: Oban Kamz

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
It's been years since they did that.
On the one hand I don't blame them for not playing it on an endless loop anymore, but on the other hand I feel like they should still give Bebop an airing just for old time's sake on occasion and to also hopefully introduce it to a new audience.

It's kind of surprising to me to think of Adult Swim/Toonami not airing Bebop at all and not having done so for years (what year exactly did they stop?)

• Agree

cactus

Cactus Juice Connoisseur
kiwifarms.net
On the one hand I don't blame them for not playing it on an endless loop anymore, but on the other hand I feel like they should still give Bebop an airing just for old time's sake on occasion and to also hopefully introduce to a new audience.

It's kind of surprising to me to think of Adult Swim/Toonami not airing Bebop at all and not having done so for years (what year exactly did they stop?)
I don't know when they stopped, it was awhile ago, might've been when Toonami started back up. I'm pretty sure Toonami played Bebop because they played GITS and Eureka Seven.

King Dead

kiwifarms.net
I don't know when they stopped, it was awhile ago, might've been when Toonami started back up. I'm pretty sure Toonami played Bebop because they played GITS and Eureka Seven.
It was pretty much constantly on pre-Toonami; it's hard to find a period in Adult Swim's history that they weren't airing it at least once during the week. Post-Toonami, it's been on and off over the years, but it's been off for a while. According to Wikipedia's very extensive article "List of programs broadcast by Toonami," the last time it aired was October 13, 2018, so about a year and a half ago.

Doesn't matter to me much one way or the other since I've seen it a million times, and even if they reaired it again I'd probably just skip it. I'd rather rewatch Space Dandy, which is criminally underrated.

cactus

Cactus Juice Connoisseur
kiwifarms.net
It was pretty much constantly on pre-Toonami; it's hard to find a period in Adult Swim's history that they weren't airing it at least once during the week. Post-Toonami, it's been on and off over the years, but it's been off for a while. According to Wikipedia's very extensive article "List of programs broadcast by Toonami," the last time it aired was October 13, 2018, so about a year and a half ago.

Doesn't matter to me much one way or the other since I've seen it a million times, and even if they reaired it again I'd probably just skip it. I'd rather rewatch Space Dandy, which is criminally underrated.
Yeah, I knew it aired on Toonami, just didn't know when. Plus, I'm pretty sure Steve Blum had Tom say something about it, since he voices him and Spike.

It would be nice for them to show Space Dandy again, I do agree with you on it being criminally underrated.

Uncanny Valley

ONE MORE GOD REJECTED
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Hell Metalocalypse and Superjail had a shitload of fangirls (unfortunately of the really spergy kind)

Tags
None