The Official Adult Swim Griefing Thread - Eventually With Less Bob's Burgers and Family Guy

albert chan

TWAIN 2024
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
We got ATHF, Venture Bros, and Metalocalypse all coming back in the form of movies.

I’ve always said Venture Bros and even Metalocalypse in their heyday were much better than modern day Rick & Morty, as far as science fiction goes. Though, it should be interesting to see what their movie versions will look like.

Especially ATHF, since their last movie was almost two decades ago.

Flexo

Don't blame me. I voted for HK-47.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Something I learned recently.

So I am a big fan of Dr. McNinja. Like... seriously if that was made into a cartoon I would spare all of humanity.

Well I've been keeping up with the creator of the comic and his latest newsletter...

Screenshot_20210513-112308_Gmail.jpg

gRcDalkelZV8JbOoKE-JguqdanN1WdnxnwGiNguvaRs.png

RumblyTumbly

kiwifarms.net
Something I learned recently.

So I am a big fan of Dr. McNinja. Like... seriously if that was made into a cartoon I would spare all of humanity.

Well I've been keeping up with the creator of the comic and his latest newsletter...

View attachment 2166701

View attachment 2166704

OK, time for me to get on my high horse.

What is this nonsense about "comedy needs to be empowering". Last time I checked, comedy needs to be funny, and to be funny, that largely involves being a buffoon or the butt of the joke. You can't be perfect, ideal, and above any kind of criticism, and also be funny. Its about as impossible as me being able to fly.

Look at Ghostbsters. The original Ghostbusters were a socially awkward nerd, a whack job that believed weird things, a womanizing con man, and an everyman worker that was out of his depth. They were almost unable to run their business, and when they all encounter ghosts and monsters, they are at a loss, especially on the first couple of tries. Trying to turn them all female as a way to "empower" women is fruitless and goes against what the original Ghostbusters were about and where the comedy mostly came from.

So now you have Harvey Birdman, a show that was about taking an old Hanna Barbera Superhero Cartoon and twisting it so that these absurd characters were in a mundane courtroom setting and just let the insanity take over, is now going to be used as a vehicle to empower women and minorities? What?! How does that work? Its more confusing than anything else. What's funny about that? Please explain to me how taking a show that is supposed to be insane and using it to empower people is in any way funny?

Chin of Campbell

Un-chinny Valley
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Even if the movies are totally hands off and end up being as good as their originals were, it's not like a few 90 minute specials are going to save the network. I'm not sure what they're expecting this to do besides artificially inflate interest for a bit.

I don't know how they're going to do ATHF in 2021. Master Shake is way too much for the modern social media addict to handle.

Last edited:

Dom Cruise

I'll fucking Mega your ass, bitch!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Even if the movies are totally hands off and end up being as good as their originals were, it's not like a few 90 minute specials are going to save the network. I'm not sure what they're expecting this to do besides artificially inflate interest for a bit.

I don't know how they're going to do ATHF in 2021. Master Shake is way too much for the modern social media addicts to handle.
I wonder if this is basically going to be the last hurrah for the network before Wokeness ruins it.

It's really nice to think we might get one big hurrah though, this is pretty exciting news, I always felt like a movie was the perfect way to end Venture Brothers.

I wonder if Toonami will get anything like that, once again I have to say that the natural end point for Toonami's lineage is to conclude The Big O.

Product Placement

kiwifarms.net

I don't know how they're going to do ATHF in 2021. Master Shake is way too much for the modern social media addict to handle.
HBO Max needs content that's why, even if they aren't day one on HBO Max, WB still sees it new content which also may get people to watch many older seasons of shows. Plus being on Blu Ray and digital first they will get the money from hardcore fans first thus making it far less risky for them rather than it being on HBO Max day.

If this does well I expect more of them, not just of Adult Swim shit but even old Cartoon Network shows and other animated WB ips.

Dom Cruise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
HBO Max needs content that's why, even if they aren't day one on HBO Max, WB still sees it new content which also may get people to watch many older seasons of shows. Plus being on Blu Ray and digital first they will get the money from hardcore fans first thus making it far less risky for them rather than it being on HBO Max day.

If this does well I expect more of them, not just of Adult Swim shit but even old Cartoon Network shows and other animated WB ips.
Could they even get into anime? Bringing back stuff like The Big O and maybe even finally some sort of continuation of Cowboy Bebop?

I know Toonami was supposed to be working on an Uzumaki anime but that went quiet and I don't know what's going on, but clearly they're already dipping their toe into anime production, so why not something like a season 3 of The Big O?

They could even bring back... a certain anime that aired on Adult Swim once that I am a particularly big fan of.

Birdgirl looks like garbage but maybe there's still hope for Adult Swim and Toonami after all.

Dom Cruise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's been over 20 years, how about no? And Samurai Champloo is its spiritual successor.
Here's the thing, you very easily can do a "Cowboy Bebop: The Next Generation" where it's a new cast of characters, just set in the same world.

Bebop's universe is rich enough that there's still plenty of room for new stories and characters, it doesn't have to about the same exact characters.

Alternatively they could do a spinoff where Faye is the main character, a "Chronicles of Faye" if you will, which my main beef with the series is I feel they kinda did her dirty by leaving her story hanging, think of it as kinda like that "a Woman Called Fujiko Mine" Lupin The Third spinoff.

Make no mistake, Spike's story is told, any continuation would have to go in a different direction and it's just as well if it never gets a continuation because you could never recreate it's look, it'd be too clean and digital, lacking that texture, which is one of the reasons why I didn't like Samurai Champloo an iota as much as I liked Bebop, I'm just spit balling ideas for what Toonami could do.

Still, like I said Cowboy Bebop's universe is rich enough and unique enough that I do feel like there could be more potential there.