The Official Adult Swim Griefing Thread - Eventually With Less Bob's Burgers and Family Guy

horrorfan89

Master of SCARE-imonies!
kiwifarms.net
Even if the movies are totally hands off and end up being as good as their originals were, it's not like a few 90 minute specials are going to save the network. I'm not sure what they're expecting this to do besides artificially inflate interest for a bit.

I don't know how they're going to do ATHF in 2021. Master Shake is way too much for the modern social media addict to handle.
Agreed this whole ordeal sounds like a desperate attempt at trying to get back the viewers they've lost to anime, indie animated projects (hazbin hotel helluva boss) and pretty much anyone not a total hack

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Here's the thing, you very easily can do a "Cowboy Bebop: The Next Generation" where it's a new cast of characters, just set in the same world.

Bebop's universe is rich enough that there's still plenty of room for new stories and characters, it doesn't have to about the same exact characters.

Alternatively they could do a spinoff where Faye is the main character, a "Chronicles of Faye" if you will, which my main beef with the series is I feel they kinda did her dirty by leaving her story hanging, think of it as kinda like that "a Woman Called Fujiko Mine" Lupin The Third spinoff.

Make no mistake, Spike's story is told, any continuation would have to go in a different direction and it's just as well if it never gets a continuation because you could never recreate it's look, it'd be too clean and digital, lacking that texture, which is one of the reasons why I didn't like Samurai Champloo an iota as much as I liked Bebop, I'm just spit balling ideas for what Toonami could do.

Still, like I said Cowboy Bebop's universe is rich enough and unique enough that I do feel like there could be more potential there.
there was a prequel story focusing on the legendary bounty hunter who was that chick's late husband

Dom Cruise

I'll fucking Mega your ass, bitch!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
there was a prequel story focusing on the legendary bounty hunter who was that chick's late husband
Ooh, that would be cool to see a prequel, I'm assuming that's a manga story? (I keep forgetting there was a manga)

XYZpdq

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Ooh, that would be cool to see a prequel, I'm assuming that's a manga story? (I keep forgetting there was a manga)
Nah, prose, seems to have had some illustrations like usual LN format. iirc it ran in Newtype.
They also had the first chapter translated on the shortlived English language Newtype website, before the Newtype USA magazine.

But yeah there were Spike And The Gang stories in comic form

Dom Cruise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Nah, prose, seems to have had some illustrations like usual LN format. iirc it ran in Newtype.
They also had the first chapter translated on the shortlived English language Newtype website, before the Newtype USA magazine.

But yeah there were Spike And The Gang stories in comic form
Ah, I see, I never knew about this after all these years, thanks for sharing.

I assume nothing past the first chapter was translated though? It sucks when there's Japan only deep cuts like that that are in some cases the last bits of media available in these franchises that are unavailable to the English speaking world.

It reminds me of a Castlevania light novel that takes places after Dawn of Sorrow, so it's the very last story of Castlevania's original continuity, I think that one was fan translated though.

What's basically impossible to find now (I assume) is a cell phone only digital manga of Silent Hill stories released in 2006 and 2007 which are the very last Silent Hill stories told by the original creative team behind Silent Hill and those are probably lost media even in Japan, because it really does seem like Konami hates it's own fans and purposely wants them to suffer sometimes.

Anyway, sorry to get off topic but that reminded me of those other examples, unlike the Bebop manga I assume this light novel isn't a retelling but is canonical within the anime TV series? It really sucks to think there's one last piece of canon Bebop media I can't read.

cactus

Cactus Juice Connoisseur
kiwifarms.net
Here's the thing, you very easily can do a "Cowboy Bebop: The Next Generation" where it's a new cast of characters, just set in the same world.

Bebop's universe is rich enough that there's still plenty of room for new stories and characters, it doesn't have to about the same exact characters.

Alternatively they could do a spinoff where Faye is the main character, a "Chronicles of Faye" if you will, which my main beef with the series is I feel they kinda did her dirty by leaving her story hanging, think of it as kinda like that "a Woman Called Fujiko Mine" Lupin The Third spinoff.

Make no mistake, Spike's story is told, any continuation would have to go in a different direction and it's just as well if it never gets a continuation because you could never recreate it's look, it'd be too clean and digital, lacking that texture, which is one of the reasons why I didn't like Samurai Champloo an iota as much as I liked Bebop, I'm just spit balling ideas for what Toonami could do.

Still, like I said Cowboy Bebop's universe is rich enough and unique enough that I do feel like there could be more potential there.
Um, no? The story was told, enjoy it for what it is, otherwise you end up with those "sequels" to FLCL. Shinichiro Watanabe told the story he wanted, if he wanted more, he would have done it already. Samurai Champloo and Space Dandy, though not done by Watanabe, are the closest you're gonna get. Or go read fanfiction. Not everything needs a sequel or continuation.

XYZpdq

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Ah, I see, I never knew about this after all these years, thanks for sharing.

I assume nothing past the first chapter was translated though? It sucks when there's Japan only deep cuts like that that are in some cases the last bits of media available in these franchises that are unavailable to the English speaking world.

It reminds me of a Castlevania light novel that takes places after Dawn of Sorrow, so it's the very last story of Castlevania's original continuity, I think that one was fan translated though.

What's basically impossible to find now (I assume) is a cell phone only digital manga of Silent Hill stories released in 2006 and 2007 which are the very last Silent Hill stories told by the original creative team behind Silent Hill and those are probably lost media even in Japan, because it really does seem like Konami hates it's own fans and purposely wants them to suffer sometimes.

Anyway, sorry to get off topic but that reminded me of those other examples, unlike the Bebop manga I assume this light novel isn't a retelling but is canonical within the anime TV series? It really sucks to think there's one last piece of canon Bebop media I can't read.
No clue about how canon it is or isn't.
But yeah all I know about is the one chapter that got translated. I'm not sure how much of it was made in Japan, either.

Attachments

• bebop ut.txt
    10.8 KB · Views: 10

Dom Cruise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Um, no? The story was told, enjoy it for what it is, otherwise you end up with those "sequels" to FLCL. Shinichiro Watanabe told the story he wanted, if he wanted more, he would have done it already. Samurai Champloo and Space Dandy, though not done by Watanabe, are the closest you're gonna get. Or go read fanfiction. Not everything needs a sequel or continuation.
I never said it "needed" a sequel, I was just throwing around ideas I thought might be interesting.

I get your point when bringing up the FLCL sequels though, I haven't seen them yet but I've not heard good things and that seems like a real case of they should have left well enough alone.

horrorfan89

Master of SCARE-imonies!
kiwifarms.net
Will you shut that mother *ring ring* ragtime music off?! This is like I live at stakey's pizza!

It can't be turned of you need the E-anio silencer...oh and hook up those e-toms while your back there.

Megaroad 2012

No go, Navajo.
kiwifarms.net
Only saw the first FLCL sequel and fucking barf.

Animation was on par with a mid budget TV show at best and was creativily lazy. Typically everything is dull, animation stiff and drawings not that great. Only one episode did anything unique or interesting as opposed to something new all the time in the old show.

I think the lazy use of the Pillows music sums it up best. I Think I Can was used at least three times in the shows run, pretty sure twice in one episode or at least back to back.

Saw the first episode of the third show on April Fools and remember thinking if it was an April Fool's day joke because all that hype for... that??? Just remember some of the most unsufferable characters, the first sequel's characters weren't bad (if anything I just forget them).

Haruko is still the best part of the series at least.

If you want some lulz, around the time the first sequel came out the pillows was holding a concert in Japan and decided to go on an anti-Trump rant over his immigration shit. Rich coming from a band in a country where their own citizenship test is so hard that not even a lot of locals could pass it.

Last edited:

horrorfan89

Master of SCARE-imonies!
kiwifarms.net
Well I'm stumped and if i've never heard it it must be some wild S**T!

Genuis! let us use this pipe! Which i bought oof course for novelty purposes only!

I miss superjail! so much *sigh*

That episode makes me want a macho man randy savage bong now...for "novelty purposes" only of course

Dom Cruise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Only saw the first FLCL sequel and fucking barf.

Animation was on par with a mid budget TV show at best and was creativily lazy. Typically everything is dull, animation stiff and drawings not that great. Only one episode did anything unique or interesting as opposed to something new all the time in the old show.

I think the lazy use of the Pillows music sums it up best. I Think I Can was used at least three times in the shows run, pretty sure twice in one episode or at least back to back.

Saw the first episode of the third show on April Fools and remember thinking if it was an April Fool's day joke because all that hype for... that??? Just remember some of the most unsufferable characters, the first sequel's characters weren't bad (if anything I just forget them).

Haruko is still the best part of the series at least.

If you want some lulz, around the time the first sequel came out the pillows was holding a concert in Japan and decided to go on an anti-Trump rant over his immigration shit. Rich coming from a band in a country where their own citizenship test is so hard that not even a lot of locals could pass it.
Such a massive waste of potential, as FLCL ended in a way that definitely implied there would be more someday, but how on Earth do you make a sequel to FLCL and drop the ball? Just a travesty.

I knew we were in trouble though when I saw that one girl with the cat ear headphones, she looked like a generic anime girl and not at all like she belonged in the world of FLCL, which always dealt with unique designs that stand out from other anime.

Smiling Friends finally got greenlit and is premiering later this year.
Is Mike Stoklasa going to be a regular?

Maybe it really isn't game over for Adult Swim just yet.

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
M
Such a massive waste of potential, as FLCL ended in a way that definitely implied there would be more someday, but how on Earth do you make a sequel to FLCL and drop the ball? Just a travesty.

I knew we were in trouble though when I saw that one girl with the cat ear headphones, she looked like a generic anime girl and not at all like she belonged in the world of FLCL, which always dealt with unique designs that stand out from other anime.
The biggest disappointment to me was there was only one returning character in the sequels.