The Official Adult Swim Griefing Thread - Now With Potentially Less Bob's Burgers and Family Guy

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
Same. I was a little too young to "get" the absurdist humor of Sealab or Aquateen but I watched it just because and I wanted to check out Cowboy Bebop.

Adult Swim openly courted John really hard even in the bumpers. Too bad a new season of Oblongs never happened.
Yup, Cowboy Bebop is what drew me in at first, but in those early days I would watch almost everything they aired.

My favorite of the first run of their original programming was Sealab 2021.

Reactions: TchPiKinmup

Y2K Baby

The Codex of Ultimate Wisdom???
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You forgot Oblongs and Mission Hill. Aside from that, agreed.
The only good AS shows were Harvey birdman,Space Ghost to Coast, Sealab 2021 and home movies. We need them back instead of having family guy reruns
Venture Bros? Aqua Teen Hunger Force? Xavier: Renegade Angel? Boondocks? Metaloclypse? Super Jail? Frisky Dingo? Moral Orel? Mike Tyson Mysteries? Adult Swim is far from a garbage network. It's incredibly diverse and even the stoner shows have a world of difference between them.

Have some RESPECT, son. This is basically the most creatively distinct and experimental networks on TV and all you can remember is Family Guy reruns.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Venture Bros? Aqua Teen Hunger Force? Xavier: Renegade Angel? Boondocks? Metaloclypse? Super Jail? Frisky Dingo? Moral Orel? Mike Tyson Mysteries? Adult Swim is far from a garbage network. It's incredibly diverse and even the stoner shows have a world of difference between them.

Have some RESPECT, son. This is basically the most creatively distinct and experimental networks on TV and all you can remember is Family Guy reruns.
Quiet, narc.

Adult Swim is such a fine channel. I only really got into it through the clips of episodes people post. You've got:

Xavier: Renegade Angel
- A god-tier show, not usually hilarious in a laughy-fun way, but bizarre and entertaining and has a strangely compelling world. I love this one and would have never heard about it except for through friends.

Aqua Teen Hunger Force
- I just enjoy this, good mindless entertainment. Very fun, well-written characters and goofy. Xavier is more interesting but ATHF makes me feel good just watching it.

Superjail
- Beautiful, creative animation and fun characters. Kind of work compared to the first two, though. The animation is what would draw you in.

Rick and Morty
- Was pretty good, kind of soured on it now due to the writers being assholes and the show going up its own ass in Season 3. Interesting plots. The humor is kind of shitty.

Boondocks
- I don't actually like this one much (except for based Uncle Ruckus), but I appreciate what it tries to do. Smart satire written by a Black man which uses each of its Black characters to explore a different aspect of Black America:
The militant, political Black Leftist (woke)
The ghetto scumbag
The old, content Civil Rights era blacks, now conservative in sentiment and fairly happy
The White-Presenting Blacks
Racist America, represented through a goofy, extreme Uncle Tom

The line-up is just very strong.

Overcast

Perfection has no age
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Xavier: Renegade Angel
- A god-tier show, not usually hilarious in a laughy-fun way, but bizarre and entertaining and has a strangely compelling world. I love this one and would have never heard about it except for through friends.
Man, I've only watched that show years after the fact through Youtube, but my god I loved it. Helps that it was made with a game engine so it has that early PS2 video game vibe to it adding more to the general weirdness. (Helps that it makes me feel nostalgic)

But yeah, I know technically it's not something by Adult Swim, but I absolutely loved watching Shin-Chan every night on there back in my high school days.

Last edited:

Clones of Alex Jones

Deus Ex Wasn't a Game it Was a Prophecy
kiwifarms.net
This network was huge part of my life. It introduced me to Anime and I still love ATHF, Squidbilles, the boondocks, metalocalypse and the Venture Brothers. I honestly can't imagine growing up without these shows.

The only shows I watch by adult swim now are Mike Tyson's mysteries whichis some how better then it should be. Along with the venture brothers and rick and morty every few years when they make new seasons. Its just everything else they put out is shit. The network was based on experimental and absurd shows maybe they just can't get enough get creators to match their early days.

I've heard rumors that the boondocks will have another season. If Aaron Mcgurder is back watch it. If not I'll pretend it didn't happen like season 4.

NOT Sword Fighter Super

"Cheerleeder" of Slapfights
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Man, adult swim brings back memories. I remember back when it first started and it was actually pool-themed. Good times. Do they do anything interesting now that Aqua Teen is dead and Venture Bros. airs new episodes only once every 20 years?
Adult Swim....ALL KIDS OUT OF THE POOL!

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
This is exactly what I miss!
That early period of Adult Swim is definitely one of the more formative, intense experiences for me.

I was 11/12, just on the cusp of puberty, just starting to get to that age where you rebel a little bit and push boundaries, it was "Adult" Swim and I knew I "shouldn't" be watching it at that age, but that's what made it so exciting.

And damn, Cowboy Bebop was something else, not only was it one of the coolest things I had ever seen, but Faye Valentine was pretty much the sexiest thing I had ever seen, you can't imagine how exciting she was for a boy just in the cusp of puberty, lol.

But Bebop was just in general so stunning, that moment in Ballad of Fallen Angels when Spike makes his way to the cathedral while that song "Rain" plays, I mean, I was just totally speechless.

Beyond Adult Swim and not to get too off topic, but around that time was when I played Silent Hill 2, Metal Gear Solid 2 and Grand Theft Auto 3, don't ask me how exactly I managed to pull off playing those M rated titles at that age lol, but Silent Hill 2 utterly terrified me, Metal Gear Solid 2 blew my mind and Grand Theft Auto 3 made me feel like the police really were going to kick in my door lol.

Like I said, it was all pretty intense.

Syaoran Li

Beware The Walkin' Dude
kiwifarms.net
That early period of Adult Swim is definitely one of the more formative, intense experiences for me.

I was 11/12, just on the cusp of puberty, just starting to get to that age where you rebel a little bit and push boundaries, it was "Adult" Swim and I knew I "shouldn't" be watching it at that age, but that's what made it so exciting.

And damn, Cowboy Bebop was something else, not only was it one of the coolest things I had ever seen, but Faye Valentine was pretty much the sexiest thing I had ever seen, you can't imagine how exciting she was for a boy just in the cusp of puberty, lol.

But Bebop was just in general so stunning, that moment in Ballad of Fallen Angels when Spike makes his way to the cathedral while that song "Rain" plays, I mean, I was just totally speechless.

Beyond Adult Swim and not to get too off topic, but around that time was when I played Silent Hill 2, Metal Gear Solid 2 and Grand Theft Auto 3, don't ask me how exactly I managed to pull off playing those M rated titles at that age lol, but Silent Hill 2 utterly terrified me, Metal Gear Solid 2 blew my mind and Grand Theft Auto 3 made me feel like the police really were going to kick in my door lol.

Like I said, it was all pretty intense.
That was pretty much my experience with Adult Swim, but replace Silent Hill with Resident Evil and add Motoko Kusanagi, Lust from FMA, and the chicks from InuYasha into the mix along with Faye Valentine.

Seriously, Adult Swim and the PS2 are two major reasons why I consider 2005 to be one of the best years of my life.

I miss the days when Adult Swim aired anime more than once a week and the original comedies were actually funny.

The only truly good original AS comedies left in my opinion are Robot Chicken and Venture Brothers. Venture Brothers has like a season every decade nowadays and Robot Chicken is decent, but not as great as it was back in 2005 and 2006.

Once anime moved to Saturdays only and Tim & Eric started getting more of their unfunny live-action stoner nonsense greenlit, it all went to hell.

Rick & Morty was decent in the first season, but its insufferable fanbase and forced memes got old fairly quick.

The only good things to happen to Adult Swim after 2008 were the revival of Toonami and getting King of the Hill and Bob's Burgers. Now King of the Hill moved to Hulu and Comedy Central while Bob's Burgers is probably going to be the next one on the chopping block.

I know this is an unpopular opinion but I don't like Xavier: Renegade Angel and never really did.

Honestly, I'd consider it an omen of bad things to come with its unfunny surrealist nonsense. It was just ugly, weird, unfunny and nonsensical even by Adult Swim's standards, especially when it first aired.

Granted, it's not as bad as anything Tim Heidecker has been involved in, but that is a criminally low bar to clear.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
That was pretty much my experience with Adult Swim, but replace Silent Hill with Resident Evil and add Motoko Kusanagi, Lust from FMA, and the chicks from InuYasha into the mix along with Faye Valentine.

Seriously, Adult Swim and the PS2 are two major reasons why I consider 2005 to be one of the best years of my life.

I miss the days when Adult Swim aired anime more than once a week and the original comedies were actually funny.

The only truly good original AS comedies left in my opinion are Robot Chicken and Venture Brothers. Venture Brothers has like a season every decade nowadays and Robot Chicken is decent, but not as great as it was back in 2005 and 2006.

Once anime moved to Saturdays only and Tim & Eric started getting more of their unfunny live-action stoner nonsense greenlit, it all went to hell.

Rick & Morty was decent in the first season, but its insufferable fanbase and forced memes got old fairly quick.

The only good things to happen to Adult Swim after 2008 were the revival of Toonami and getting King of the Hill and Bob's Burgers. Now King of the Hill moved to Hulu and Comedy Central while Bob's Burgers is probably going to be the next one on the chopping block.

I know this is an unpopular opinion but I don't like Xavier: Renegade Angel and never really did.

Honestly, I'd consider it an omen of bad things to come with its unfunny surrealist nonsense. It was just ugly, weird, unfunny and nonsensical even by Adult Swim's standards, especially when it first aired.

Granted, it's not as bad as anything Tim Heidecker has been involved in, but that is a criminally low bar to clear.
2005 was an incredible year, it was one of the best years of my life too.

Those were the days man, Adult Swim on TV and the PS2, Xbox, Gamecube, GBA and DS.

Tags
None