The Official Adult Swim Griefing Thread - Now With Potentially Less Bob's Burgers and Family Guy

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Well despite being called "adult" swim it's target audience had always been at least 14. These bumpers made it look like a network for boomers still trying to be hip with them young uns
Yeah, I suppose it made it felt more that way than whatever they had in mind later on.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
Well despite being called "adult" swim it's target audience had always been at least 14. These bumpers made it look like a network for boomers still trying to be hip with them young uns
At any rate it's still nostalgic to me since that's how it began, I also heavily associate it with Cowboy Bebop and Aqua Teen.

But Adult Swim's peak aesthetic would probably be around 2005 or so.

NeoGAF Lurker

An Niggo
kiwifarms.net
Having been a big fan of Adult Swim in its glory days (the beginning up to about 2005-2006), it should have ended a lot time ago. I think the live action Tim and Eric shit killed it because for a while every show was copying off of it. Amazon Prime Video has the first season of Sealab 2021 for free and after watching it a few days ago, it still holds up pretty well, even though Archer is basically Sealab but above water.

Jasonfan89

Aka horrorfan89
kiwifarms.net
At any rate it's still nostalgic to me since that's how it began, I also heavily associate it with Cowboy Bebop and Aqua Teen.

But Adult Swim's peak aesthetic would probably be around 2005 or so.

Well you got a point there, it is kinda nostalgic to me to. still a zoom in on grandpa's face with the block title appears just doesn't represent the programming well. Personally I would have kept the pool astetic but replaced the old people with hot chicks in swimwear or skaters using the pool while it was drained. That was what was in Chic at the time.

• Agree
Reactions: Count groudon

Autumnal Equinox

Dinsdale!
kiwifarms.net
You're all newfags. Back in my day, all we had in 1994 was Space Ghost: Coast to Coast...and we were GLAD to have that!

I do think Adult Swim's golden age ended around the mid-late 2000s though. I stopped watching it around 2008 when all it seemed to air was anime I didn't care about (so much Inuyasha and Bleach...) and Tim and Eric shit.

Syaoran Li

Goth Mom Resurrection
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Adult Swim jumped the shark back when they gutted most of their anime and let Tim & Eric and its derivatives become so prevalent. Both of these happened around the same time (2008-2009) and the only really good things that have happened to Adult Swim since then were the revival of Toonami in 2012 and King of the Hill and Bob's Burgers joining the Fox rerun lineups.

Now Toonami is still going, but has been reduced greatly, while King of the Hill left in 2018 (but it's on Hulu now at least) and Bob's Burgers is leaving in 2021.

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Having been a big fan of Adult Swim in its glory days (the beginning up to about 2005-2006), it should have ended a lot time ago. I think the live action Tim and Eric shit killed it because for a while every show was copying off of it. Amazon Prime Video has the first season of Sealab 2021 for free and after watching it a few days ago, it still holds up pretty well, even though Archer is basically Sealab but above water.
They even had a Sealab-dedicated episode.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
You're all newfags. Back in my day, all we had in 1994 was Space Ghost: Coast to Coast...and we were GLAD to have that!

I do think Adult Swim's golden age ended around the mid-late 2000s though. I stopped watching it around 2008 when all it seemed to air was anime I didn't care about (so much Inuyasha and Bleach...) and Tim and Eric shit.
I vividly recall watching Space Ghost: Coast to Coast circa 1995 and later as a kid, to power level a bit, someone I knew personally was a guest on that show, as crazy as that is.

But yeah, 2008 was when I stopped being a regular viewer as well.

Syaoran Li

Goth Mom Resurrection
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
But yeah, 2008 was when I stopped being a regular viewer as well.
Agreed. After 2008, I'd only tune in to Adult Swim for Toonami, King of the Hill (in the days where it was no longer on Netflix but also wasn't on Hulu) or for the annual Adult Swim prank they do on April Fools Day (well, the prank technically airs on the night of March 31 at midnight)

Seeing as the prank is less than a week away, I'm wondering what it will be. Probably yet another Rick & Morty stealth premiere or something that's really lame like the unfunny tennis cartoon they aired for last year's prank.

The only good pranks Adult Swim has done in the 2010's were both Toonami related. The first was the 2012 prank that led to Toonami's revival a couple of months later that year, and the other was the 2018 prank where Toonami was entirely in Japanese with English subtitles, including the segments with TOM and the bumper text.

I guess, you could argue that the 2016 prank was brilliant from the prankster's perspective, but it was a letdown for anyone who was watching Adult Swim that night.

Digger10

kiwifarms.net
I've seen people discuss the peaks and valleys of Cartoon Network, but I haven't seen people do the same for Adult Swim. I have always wondered what people considered its golden years and at which point the network started to decline. I haven't actively followed AS for a long time, but I noticed their early years seemed to have more shows that got multiple seasons compared to how many one season shows or pilots they had later on. I think Rick & Morty is the newest show to get a lot of buzz.

On another note, one thing that irritated me about Adult Swim is how uncommunicative they were. A long time ago they announced that they would be making airing new episodes online for The Brak Show, Perfect Hair Forever and 12. Oz Mouse. Each show got one episode and then the project was cancelled. As far as I know, they never gave an official announcement that they were ending things, they just stopped. Then there was pre-release information for the fourth season of The Boondocks saying that it would have twenty episodes. In the end it only got ten, despite the gap between the last two seasons being twice as long as the gaps between other seasons and the airing of the season being delayed by several months. I don't believe we've ever gotten information on what happened during the production of that season but it seems like something went wrong.

Last edited:

King Dead

Cops are better when they're mecha.
kiwifarms.net
Agreed. After 2008, I'd only tune in to Adult Swim for Toonami, King of the Hill (in the days where it was no longer on Netflix but also wasn't on Hulu) or for the annual Adult Swim prank they do on April Fools Day (well, the prank technically airs on the night of March 31 at midnight)

Seeing as the prank is less than a week away, I'm wondering what it will be. Probably yet another Rick & Morty stealth premiere or something that's really lame like the unfunny tennis cartoon they aired for last year's prank.

The only good pranks Adult Swim has done in the 2010's were both Toonami related. The first was the 2012 prank that led to Toonami's revival a couple of months later that year, and the other was the 2018 prank where Toonami was entirely in Japanese with English subtitles, including the segments with TOM and the bumper text.

I guess, you could argue that the 2016 prank was brilliant from the prankster's perspective, but it was a letdown for anyone who was watching Adult Swim that night.
Hey, I liked Gemusetto Machu Picchu. Sue me.

Also don't forget the 2014 prank, where they aired the "actual" finale to Perfect Hair Forever followed by a marathon of SGC2C episodes, with the bumps being short text blurbs introducing the episodes from people who worked on the show or outtakes from the recording booth. They even aired the full version of Fire Ant. It was a good night.
I've seen people discuss the peaks and valleys of Cartoon Network, but I haven't seen people do the same for Adult Swim. I have always wondered what people considered its golden years and at which point the network started to decline. I haven't actively followed AS for a long time, but I noticed their early years seemed to have more shows that got multiple seasons compared to how many one season shows or pilots they had later on. I think Rick & Morty is the newest show to get a lot of buzz.

On another note, one thing that irritated me about Adult Swim is how uncommunicative they were. A long time ago they announced that they would be making airing new episodes online for The Brak Show, Perfect Hair Forever and 12. Oz Mouse. Each show got one episode and then the project was cancelled. As far as I know, they never gave an official announcement that they were ending things, they just stopped. Then there was pre-release information for the fourth season of The Boondocks saying that it would have twenty episodes. In the end it only got ten, despite the gap between the last two seasons being twice as long as the gaps between other seasons and the airing of the season being delayed by several months. I don't believe we've ever gotten information on what happened during the production of that season but it seems like something went wrong.
This turned out to be a bit of a long ramble, so apologies.

A lot of people say it happened around 2007-2008, and I think there's a good reason for that: the Boston Bomb Scare in 2007. I love the Wikipedia article's title for it:
Who could have foreseen that a simple guerilla advertising campaign for the ATHF movie would have such wide-ranging impacts not only on Adult Swim but on Cartoon Network as a whole? It led to top management stepping down in disgrace, a shift to more live-action programming to compete more with the other kids' networks (or in Adult Swim's case, because it's cheaper to produce), and arguably led to other effects like removing anime from the lineup, which was a draw for a not-insignificant portion of the viewership. The Miguzi block that replaced Toonami on weekdays was canceled a few months after the scare, and Toonami itself got the axe the following year; anime on Adult Swim was relegated to Saturdays sometime around this time period but I don't recall if it was before or after. Let's also not forget the loss of Futurama to Comedy Central later that year.

I think it's not unreasonable to suggest that Adult Swim was reined in somewhat in the aftermath of the scare. I imagine the higher-ups were not amused about how it made them look, and so they probably had to play it safe for a while. More reruns of Fox shows, more live-action series to save money, and nothing too controversial. The ATHF guys made an episode parodying the Boston incident shortly afterward (aptly named "Boston") but they were forbidden from airing it to avoid stirring up more shit. It leaked at random a few years ago, and surprisingly I found a Google Drive link from back then that still works:
Adult Swim is in a weird position these days. Their target demographic is increasingly less likely to have a cable subscription, and a lot of people who grew up with it have either moved past that kind of humor entirely or they're just not watching as much as they used to; if they are watching, it's probably the umpteenth Family Guy rerun and not much else. Streaming has given traditional networks a lot of competition, and you're able to air a lot more risque stuff than you can on TV. I still remember being kind of shocked that "shit" wasn't being censored anymore on Adult Swim a few years ago, but you can drop any curse word or nudity or sex or violence or whatever on streaming. There's just less reason for Adult Swim to exist nowadays.

And yet, I would feel pretty bad if it went away entirely. I have tons of fond memories of staying up when I should have been sleeping, watching the cartoons that I wasn't supposed to, and rediscovering my love of anime. Adult Swim helped to shape my sense of humor, they've produced some of my favorite shows, and I've even continued to watch Toonami practically every week since the revival. It might not be where it was at its peak, but I wouldn't want to see it go.

King Dead

kiwifarms.net
Yeah, I have seen the management shuffle blamed for Cartoon Network declining in quality for a time, but I didn't know how it affected Adult Swim.

That was a dumb advertising campaign in the first place. Shame that such an ill-conceived idea knocked over so many dominoes.
They probably should have informed the various cities what was going on, but that kind of defeats the purpose of a guerilla ad campaign. Regardless, it went off pretty much without a hitch in every other city they ran the campaign in, aside from a couple "you shouldn't have done that" admonishments and a minor arrest or two. The article quotes the King County (Seattle) sheriff's department as saying "they're so obviously not suspicious." I mean, if you really think about it, nobody's going to put big LED lights on an actual bomb and call attention to it before they're ready to set it off. But Boston freaked out, and the rest is history.

In other news, I totally forgot that 12 oz. Mouse is coming back for a third season this year. We're also about due for Venture Bros. season 8 sometime this year as well. So there's a couple things to look forward to.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
Hey, I liked Gemusetto Machu Picchu. Sue me.

Also don't forget the 2014 prank, where they aired the "actual" finale to Perfect Hair Forever followed by a marathon of SGC2C episodes, with the bumps being short text blurbs introducing the episodes from people who worked on the show or outtakes from the recording booth. They even aired the full version of Fire Ant. It was a good night.

This turned out to be a bit of a long ramble, so apologies.

A lot of people say it happened around 2007-2008, and I think there's a good reason for that: the Boston Bomb Scare in 2007. I love the Wikipedia article's title for it:
Who could have foreseen that a simple guerilla advertising campaign for the ATHF movie would have such wide-ranging impacts not only on Adult Swim but on Cartoon Network as a whole? It led to top management stepping down in disgrace, a shift to more live-action programming to compete more with the other kids' networks (or in Adult Swim's case, because it's cheaper to produce), and arguably led to other effects like removing anime from the lineup, which was a draw for a not-insignificant portion of the viewership. The Miguzi block that replaced Toonami on weekdays was canceled a few months after the scare, and Toonami itself got the axe the following year; anime on Adult Swim was relegated to Saturdays sometime around this time period but I don't recall if it was before or after. Let's also not forget the loss of Futurama to Comedy Central later that year.

I think it's not unreasonable to suggest that Adult Swim was reined in somewhat in the aftermath of the scare. I imagine the higher-ups were not amused about how it made them look, and so they probably had to play it safe for a while. More reruns of Fox shows, more live-action series to save money, and nothing too controversial. The ATHF guys made an episode parodying the Boston incident shortly afterward (aptly named "Boston") but they were forbidden from airing it to avoid stirring up more shit. It leaked at random a few years ago, and surprisingly I found a Google Drive link from back then that still works:
Adult Swim is in a weird position these days. Their target demographic is increasingly less likely to have a cable subscription, and a lot of people who grew up with it have either moved past that kind of humor entirely or they're just not watching as much as they used to; if they are watching, it's probably the umpteenth Family Guy rerun and not much else. Streaming has given traditional networks a lot of competition, and you're able to air a lot more risque stuff than you can on TV. I still remember being kind of shocked that "shit" wasn't being censored anymore on Adult Swim a few years ago, but you can drop any curse word or nudity or sex or violence or whatever on streaming. There's just less reason for Adult Swim to exist nowadays.

And yet, I would feel pretty bad if it went away entirely. I have tons of fond memories of staying up when I should have been sleeping, watching the cartoons that I wasn't supposed to, and rediscovering my love of anime. Adult Swim helped to shape my sense of humor, they've produced some of my favorite shows, and I've even continued to watch Toonami practically every week since the revival. It might not be where it was at its peak, but I wouldn't want to see it go.
Yup, I keep forgetting about that incident but you are correct, that was the cause of the decline.

It’s very depressing to imagine what might have been had that not happened, thanks a lot Boston, you Massholes.

Syaoran Li

Goth Mom Resurrection
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, I have seen the management shuffle blamed for Cartoon Network declining in quality for a time, but I didn't know how it affected Adult Swim.

That was a dumb advertising campaign in the first place. Shame that such an ill-conceived idea knocked over so many dominoes.
I always figured the Boston Bomb Scare is what hit Adult Swim the hardest and led to the removal of anime and the rise of Tim Heidecker and his ilk. Mike Lazzo also gained a lot more prominence at Adult Swim after that incident as well. He was always there, but it seemed like he had a lot more unchecked power at Adult Swim after the Boston scare.

Even if "Mike Lazzo hates anime" is a meme, I can definitely see how the meme gained traction.

Now Mike Lazzo is out and so is Sharon Miller and most of the old guard at Adult Swim after yet another big change in management. As far as I can tell, the only name I recognize that's still at Williams Street right now is Jason Demarco, the head of Toonami.

Either Adult Swim is finally planning to give anime a fair shake again once COVID-19 passes now that they're losing Family Guy next year or far more likely, the new guys in charge don't see Jason Demarco as part of the problem or as a threat to their new plans.

Toonami has been shortened greatly in 2020, but it's safe for now since there's Uzumaki later this year (and it's already prepped for broadcast, having been completed before things got bad) and the Blade Runner anime they've got coming up as well.

Seeing as Toonami has always operated on a shoestring budget since the 2012 revival and has done fairly well despite the rise of streaming and the brass at Williams Street undermining them at several points, I think the new people in charge of Cartoon Network and Adult Swim still see Demarco as an asset, or at least don't view him as a liability.

A year or two back, Jason Demarco mentioned in an interview that had the 2012 prank not been such a hit, Adult Swim would've removed anime completely from the block later that year, and this included both the old reruns and the remaining Bleach premieres.

But the prank was a ratings hit and fan demand was too big for Adult Swim to ignore.

Considering the way AS was acting around 2008-2011, the Toonami prank was out of character for them. I always thought the Toonami prank was meant as a last hurrah for the anime block or a final farewell since it was supposed to be canned at some point later on that year.

King Dead

kiwifarms.net
I always figured the Boston Bomb Scare is what hit Adult Swim the hardest and led to the removal of anime and the rise of Tim Heidecker and his ilk. Mike Lazzo also gained a lot more prominence at Adult Swim after that incident as well. He was always there, but it seemed like he had a lot more unchecked power at Adult Swim after the Boston scare.

Even if "Mike Lazzo hates anime" is a meme, I can definitely see how the meme gained traction.

Now Mike Lazzo is out and so is Sharon Miller and most of the old guard at Adult Swim after yet another big change in management. As far as I can tell, the only name I recognize that's still at Williams Street right now is Jason Demarco, the head of Toonami.

Either Adult Swim is finally planning to give anime a fair shake again once COVID-19 passes now that they're losing Family Guy next year or far more likely, the new guys in charge don't see Jason Demarco as part of the problem or as a threat to their new plans.

Toonami has been shortened greatly in 2020, but it's safe for now since there's Uzumaki later this year (and it's already prepped for broadcast, having been completed before things got bad) and the Blade Runner anime they've got coming up as well.

Seeing as Toonami has always operated on a shoestring budget since the 2012 revival and has done fairly well despite the rise of streaming and the brass at Williams Street undermining them at several points, I think the new people in charge of Cartoon Network and Adult Swim still see Demarco as an asset, or at least don't view him as a liability.

A year or two back, Jason Demarco mentioned in an interview that had the 2012 prank not been such a hit, Adult Swim would've removed anime completely from the block later that year, and this included both the old reruns and the remaining Bleach premieres.

But the prank was a ratings hit and fan demand was too big for Adult Swim to ignore.

Considering the way AS was acting around 2008-2011, the Toonami prank was out of character for them. I always thought the Toonami prank was meant as a last hurrah for the anime block or a final farewell since it was supposed to be canned at some point later on that year.
That's interesting, I hadn't heard that before. Though I'd argue anime contributed a lot to Adult Swim's success in its early years, it had definitely been sidelined a lot prior to the Toonami revival, and it really did seem like it was on its last legs. I dunno how Demarco managed to convince them to do the Toonami prank, but I'm glad they did, and I'm glad they gave it another chance once it was successful. I think that the Toonami revival helped contribute to a resurgence of popularity for anime in the West, which has in turn helped keep Toonami going.

I've often wondered if they might go back to weeknight anime once they lose the last of the Fox shows (except American Dad! which Turner owns now). They could rerun shows recently aired on Toonami, or maybe license some older, long-running shows that they could use to fill time, like they did with Inuyasha back in the day. And of course, there's always the umpteenth showing of Bebop. I'm guessing Demarco doesn't have enough pull to help make that happen on his own, but who knows what will happen?

I just wish they'd greenlight a final season for Metalocalypse already. I love that show, and it kills me that we'll probably never see a conclusion.

Uncanny Valley

LOLCOW TRANSMUTATION IS FORBIDDEN.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

all I remember that the Harvey Birdman special was unusually awful

Tags
None