The Official Government Shutdown Thread

• Registration is closed without referral. This is a website about Internet drama.

We need a 3PL

Pine Tar

Disrespecting skeletons
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Hunter said:
tumblr_mu0knwgZ7I1qf41spo1_1280.png

revengeofphil said:
So some people won't be paid during this? That really sucks monkey balls
My dad works for the government. We're depending on my mom this month. She's a teacher. We're a family of six with two in college living off a middle school teacher's salary despite the fact that we hardly got by on my dad's salary until this shit is over. You wanna talk monkey balls?

Two things:

1. I'm so sorry to hear that about your family. I hope for their sakes and yours that this shutdown gets resolved quickly.

2. It's official. There ought to be a law stating that all people who wear a Guy Fawkes mask must also wear a hot pink shirt with lavender writing stating "I'm a massive faggot!"

c-no

Gluttonous Bed Shitter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Bgheff said:
The funny part is the health care plan goes into effect and will be paid for regardless of the shutdown. It accomplishes nothing other than a "fuck you" from the teaparty Reppublicans.
I honestly didn't pay much attention to Obamacare other than knowing the very basic thing about it (being insurance or something) but to hear that it will pass regardless makes me want to see the Tea Party Republicans quit their tantrum towards it. Still, I wonder, is it all on the Republicans or this also in some way the Democrats fault as well. I don't pay much attention to politics nor do I like it so I apologize for my ignorance.

Mourning Dove

Zenaida macroura
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
:x I wish the Teapartiers (I hate that name; it's a disgrace to the wonderful beverage called tea!) would stop their bitchfitting so that innocent people can get their livelihoods back. Obamacare is already a law, and a law is a law is a law.

random_pickle

kiwifarms.net
Mourning Dove said:
:x I wish the Teapartiers (I hate that name; it's a disgrace to the wonderful beverage called tea!) would stop their bitchfitting so that innocent people can get their livelihoods back. Obamacare is already a law, and a law is a law is a law.

Actually, I haven't heard much from the Teaparty in a while. Maybe my mind is repressing my memories of their stupidity.

KatsuKitty

Stone-Cold Bitch
kiwifarms.net
I just got let off by my new employer because all projects in the Boston area closed as a result of the shutdown. D*** you congress!

bradsternum

Won't Call Anyone
kiwifarms.net
The Hunter said:
tumblr_mu0knwgZ7I1qf41spo1_1280.png

/quote]

I hate these people. Really, really, REALLY hate them.

First off, Guy Fawkes - the crusader who wanted to establish a Catholic monarchy instead of the Church of England. How is he a symbol of hope and rebellion?!

Second, you didn't do anything, asshat. The government is made up of greedy assholes, and they'll continue to get paid. The government "shut down" isn't an actual shut down. It is meaningless. The country will still run as it always did, except a lot of decent people won't get paid (more so than usual.)

Marmalade

kiwifarms.net
Guess who isn't going to transfer to the fleet until the shutdown is over! This chick!

On the military side, our training command has completely shut down. The commissary sold as much of its perishable stock yesterday to prepare for a long term close, and all of the civilians have been sent home until further notice. We cannot get mail either since the civilians working the mail room are not being paid, and we have been told we are doing general military training, cleaning, and physical training until the government is back up. Our pay is 100% ensured for mid-month pay, but after that is uncertain. I'd rather be in class getting out of FL rather than sitting around.

Bgheff

kiwifarms.net
Would be nice, but if Congress gave a shit about public opinion in the first place we wouldn't be in this situation. They won't vote themselves no pay.

Surtur

Destroyer of the Universe.
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
So, I work in meat production and noticed that the USDA effectively did not give a fuck, so we started hucking packages of chicken at each other. It was great. Oh, you might not want to buy chicken for the next month or so.

Watcher

Cishet dudebro
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Canadians are just watching this with a confused glance.

Jackie Chin

The Man, the Myth, the Legend
kiwifarms.net
Yesterday in my web design class, someone was presented their biography page and said they wanted to become the Pres. Of the U.S. when he clicked on the link to the site it was down due to the government shutdown. It was pretty funny, and awkward for him.

hellbound

kiwifarms.net
c-no said:
Bgheff said:
The funny part is the health care plan goes into effect and will be paid for regardless of the shutdown. It accomplishes nothing other than a "fuck you" from the teaparty Reppublicans.
I honestly didn't pay much attention to Obamacare other than knowing the very basic thing about it (being insurance or something) but to hear that it will pass regardless makes me want to see the Tea Party Republicans quit their tantrum towards it. Still, I wonder, is it all on the Republicans or this also in some way the Democrats fault as well. I don't pay much attention to politics nor do I like it so I apologize for my ignorance.

It's a mutual pissing contest. The Republicans won't pass an appropriations resolution that funds the ACA. The Democrats won't pass any partial appropriations resolutions unless ACA is fully funded.

This isn't the first time that there's been an attempt to defund a law to prevent its enactment. I'm sure it won't be the last. It's not a common tactic, but it is for example why the border fence was never finished.

Likewise, make no mistake that this is actually about passing a budget. We haven't had a budget in four and a half years, and this isn't about one, it's about another continuing resolution for spending.

Personally, I think obamacare is an enormous clusterfuck. Not that the insurance situation wasn't a clusterfuck to begin with, as the nation moved long ago from insurance being catastrophe coverage to coverage for basic care (which is on its face absurd), but my overall impression is that the law is either the biggest pile of incompetent horseshit ever to pass through congress (and that's saying something) or a well-crafted, subtle method of crashing the system to force a single-payer system into place.

I can't fault the Rs for trying to defund it, but I don't think their intentions are pure. It's all about "optics," to use the Washington word for propaganda. Obamacare isn't very popular anymore. If the Republicans make a big show of defunding it, it's likely to win them some votes in 2014. I can't fault the Ds for fighting so hard for it either. It's their baby, it's the sole legacy of the Obama presidency that has any measure of support as far as I can tell. If they let it go, they might lose some of their entitlement voters, and they'll certainly lose a big chunk of their control.

That's really what both parties are fighting for: control. They're perfectly fine cooperating on things that give them both more grip on the populace, but while they are both big-government statist parties at their core, they naturally disagree on some level, and that's where this gigantic dick-measuring comes in.

In the end, it doesn't matter so much. We're talking about spending money we don't have either way. With a national debt nearing $17,000,000,000,000 we're so far in the realm of funny money and fucked-ness that we might as well not care anymore. Hell, give every US resident a hundred thousand dollars from thin air to spend on healthcare and we're still in the same order of magnitude in the hole.

Oglooger

One of few based™ oldfags
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
All this can be broken down into:

both parties shift blame on each other and throw temper tantrums

something about debt ceiling

either way, we're all fucked and just hope we can get through this mess.

Smutley

Kill Count: 2
Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I fully believe that the congress we have is a direct representation of the people we have in America. Obstinate, uneducated, science-phobic, obstructionist assholes who can't see anything past the nose on their face. And the best part is, even after this shutdown ends and Congress's approval ratings continue to hover at 5%, the majority of these idiots are going to be reelected because 95% of America hates everyone in Congress but THEIR guy, who's obviously fighting for their rights and doing a good job.

Also, this whole "some government stays open" deal is really silly. If they wanted to have it end quickly, don't pay anyone. Not the janitors, not the soldiers, not the poor people, not Chris, not the sick and elderly, not the president and congress. As soon as people can't eat and soldiers aren't getting paid for getting shot a deal would get worked out real quick.

John Titor

Pronouns: time/temporal/tempself
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
bradsternum said:
I hate these people. Really, really, REALLY hate them.

First off, Guy Fawkes - the crusader who wanted to establish a Catholic monarchy instead of the Church of England. How is he a symbol of hope and rebellion?!

Second, you didn't do anything, asshat. The government is made up of greedy assholes, and they'll continue to get paid. The government "shut down" isn't an actual shut down. It is meaningless. The country will still run as it always did, except a lot of decent people won't get paid (more so than usual.)

The Guy Fawkes masks were used in V for Vendetta to symbolize destroying the government and anonymity. Um...it's been a while since I seen the movie or read the comic, so I don't remember why he was used in the first place.