The Official Simpsons Griefing Thread -

FriendlyPrimarina

kiwifarms.net
John Cleese mocks Hank Azaria’s Apu regrets by apologising to ‘white English people’

View attachment 2093771

John Cleese has mocked an apology by The Simpsons actor Hank Azaria, who voiced the controversial Apu character on the long-running series.

During a podcast appearance earlier this week, Azaria apologised for voicing the character, who has been accused of perpetuating harmful stereotypes about South Asian people. The history of racism that the character inspired was explored in a 2017 documentary titled The Problem with Apu.

“I was speaking at my son’s school, I was talking to the Indian kids there because I wanted to get their input,” Azaria said during Dax Shepard’s Armchair Expert podcast. “A 17-year-old ... he’s never even seen<em>The Simpsons</em> but knows what Apu means. It’s practically a slur at this point. All he knows is that this is how his people are thought of and represented to many people in this country. I really do apologise.”

Cleese appeared to reject the apology in a tweet, in which he sarcastically apologised for his own past work.

“Not wishing to be left behind by Hank Azaria, I would like to apologise on behalf on Monty Python for all the many sketches we did making fun of white English people,” Cleese tweeted.

The Fawlty Towers actor added: “We’re sorry for any distress we may have caused.”

In 2020, Cleese claimed that “political correctness” was stifling creativity in the comedy world.

“I would love to debate this with a ‘woke’,” Cleese said. “The first question I would say is, ‘Can you tell me a woke joke?’ I don’t know what a woke joke would be like other than very, very nice people being kind to each other. It might be heart-warming but it’s not going to be very funny.”

Azaria’s Simpsons character, the Indian shopkeeper Apu Nahasapeemapetilon, was quietly phased out of the show in 2016.

Every time John Cleese tries to be "based," I just think of this:
1618687883100.png

From The Uncanny Valley

World's Smartest Dumbass
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Since Sneed paved the way for Silver Age episodes to be used in these memes, might I suggest Princess Tempura as the next random spergy Simpsons meme?

Can't seem to find any clips on YouTube except this one in Spanish.

This always seemed more like a weird 90's cartoon than an anime parody. But that's just me.

Syaoran Li

Carter Stanley Lives!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This always seemed more like a weird 90's cartoon than an anime parody. But that's just me.

I mean, that can probably be chalked up to it being written by literal Boomers. Princess Tempura does sort of resemble Motoko Kusanagi (or more accurately, the dollar store knock-off version) but overall, it feels more like a Power Rangers spoof.

horrorfan89

Hullo? Aunt Alicia?
kiwifarms.net
I mean, that can probably be chalked up to it being written by literal Boomers. Princess Tempura does sort of resemble Motoko Kusanagi (or more accurately, the dollar store knock-off version) but overall, it feels more like a Power Rangers spoof.
That clip was litteraly what everybody over 17 thought anime was like in the 90s

Ironically now it could at best only apply to boomers since the anime veiwerbase age has gone up AMD continues to go up.

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I also see a bit of Tomy wind-ups in this!

Admiral Mantoid

The Senate Society
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
"Lisa, you're probably the sax-iest women I've ever met outside of Liverpool, so get down there and rock my worl-."
1618784856952.png

"Sir, why don't you take a seat right over there?"
1618785120314.png

"R-Relax yankee! I'm just imaginary! Nothing dodgy here mate! I swear on me imaginary mum!"
1618786414282.png

"Sir, we're all imaginary yellow cartoon people made by some 67 year old boomer hack. Now I insist you take a seat right over there... while the little girl sits on my lap..."
1618785159118.png

"Okay 'imaginary' grown men in a little girl's room, how about we all 'pretend' that we're going for a drive?"
1618786128928.png

Admiral Mantoid

The Senate Society
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What the FUCK is going on in that episode???
"What's the mattah bobby? Never seen a propeh gent do a striptease in a tyke's closet before?"
1618792460878.png

Seriously though, I think this episode only further shows how really out of touch the writers are. I mean they've always been, but Lisa's ideal fantasy man (for an 8 year old) is some vague parody of an 80s brit rock singer most little kids even in the 90s hardly even knew about. Lisa's character really is just the ideal fantasy girl for a bunch of creepy xoomer writers. Also what are the odds that they originally wrote the guy to actually be real before Disney/Fox/whatever told them to make him imaginary to be less creepy?

Unsurprisingly, the guy who wrote this episode was also the one who wrote Lisa Goes Gaga.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'll say that if there's some random dialog about Lisa questioning why he's not conservative like he is in modern times and then he responds about "I'm also old and bald in modern times, you get what you imagine" then it won't be a total wash

Jewelsmakerguy

Domo Arigato
kiwifarms.net
Whelp, watched the episode and there's a few things I got to say about it:
- Imaginary friend or not, Cumberbitch's role was pointless and unneeded. I mean I guess props to making him the anti-Paul McCartney in the end, but it's still a sucky plot. Even the scene where Lisa finally talks back to Largo felt, dare I say, mean-spirited?
- We got an extended bit with KMR as Hibbert. As expected, it sucks a big one. He's not even trying to hide his trademark baritone. At least Carl's substitute makes an attempt to sound similar to Hank, even if it can't be sustained for more than one or two short lines.
- Homer becomes a truck guy, the plot is just as pointless and stupid as the Lisa plot, and comes off as a retread of Screaming Yellow Honkers from Season 10. And it ends just as pointlessly with Homer passing out on PB&J sandwiches.
- We find out Marge is only with Homer as a "Fine, fuck you mom!" moment at the end of the episode. I don't know how to feel about that one.
If nothing else, I will say the animation actually does show some bits of fluidity at points. Then again, the recent episodes by AKOM seem to be of higher quality than those of Rough Draft's in general.

CWCissey

Charming Man
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Moz isn't happy either...

EDIT: Just watched it.

Let's start with the good:
-The Music did sound Smiths-y and Benedict Cumberbatch does do a passable Moz singing voice.
-Couple of funny images (Marge banging her head against the wall on infrared, Martin becoming obsessed with Hall & Oates, Maggie running the fuck away when Marge said she was stressed)
-Bart starting an argument for his own entertainment.
-'Lisa doesn't like it when others talk' So true Ralph. So true...

The bad.
-The obvious. The reveal of modern day Quilloughby is mean-spirited at best and outright insulting to Morrissey at worst and I hate that I predicted that they'd do that. You know Cumbertwat probably ad-libbed half of that the lefty bedwetter scum.
-Speaking of, Quilloughby's meant to be from Manchester, yet he talks like Ringo Starr. Benedict was wrong anyway, plus he's a Londoner and not getting a Mancunian actor to play your Morrissey attack job? Bit culturally insensitive there don't you think?
-The pillow fight scene gave me seriously bad vibes.
-Julie Kavner needs to drop dead if she isn't going to retire.
-Marge is now only with Homer to spite her mum?
-Lisa episode

Last edited:

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Lander returned
to this site by the
Historical Sticklers
Society.

(I read they added that when making the episode, after someone pointed out the lander lifted off with the astronauts.)

Last edited: