The Official Simpsons Griefing Thread -

Jozef

kiwifarms.net
Come to think of it, I do kind of think of it as a different show. After all, why not, it feels like one of two things: not the real show but shitty fan fictions written by Tumblr tards, or a good friend you grew up with who later devolved into an insufferable SJW.

At least we live in an age of DVD box sets, and we've got about 10-15 seasons worth of episodes, so we can watch good Simpsons whenever we want. Imagine only being able to see the newer episodes on TV unless you were smart enough to tape a whole bunch of episodes back in the day.

CWCissey

Charming Man
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If you think of the show past the last season you consider good* as an entirely different show, the endless trainwreck that is Zombie Simps can have no impact on The Simpsons to you.

*(likely around season 10)

If I'm honest I think this show has gone past Zombie Simpsons and is now just Rotting Corpse Simpsons.

No longer is it shuffling along, it's just there stinking up the joint.

TopCat

kiwifarms.net
1618855832496.png

Morrissey's manager attacks 'hurtful and racist' Simpsons parody

1618855754821.png

Morrissey appears to have taken offence at The Simpsons after being sent up in the animation's latest episode.

In the show, titled Panic On The Streets of Springfield, Lisa Simpson becomes obsessed with the militantly vegan singer of a 1980s indie band.

But her dreams are shattered when it transpires her idol, voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch, had become a bitter, overweight, anti-immigrant meat-eater.

A statement on Morrissey's Facebook called the show "hurtful and racist".

1618855895634.png

"Surprising what a 'turn for the worst' the writing for The Simpson's TV show has taken in recent years," said the statement, which was posted by the star's manager, Peter Katsis.

"Poking fun at subjects is one thing," it continued, "but when a show stoops so low to use harshly hateful tactics like showing the Morrissey character with his belly hanging out of his shirt (when he has never looked like that at any point in his career) makes you wonder who the real hurtful, racist group is here.

"Even worse - calling the Morrissey character out for being a racist, without pointing out any specific instances, offers nothing. It only serves to insult the artist."

The statement went on to accuse The Simpsons of hypocrisy, noting that white actor Hank Azaria had recently bowed to criticism and agreed to stop voicing the Indian character Apu Nahasapeemapetilon.

"Hank Azaria's recent apology to the whole country of India for his role in upholding 'structural racism' says it all," the message said.

Prior to the episode airing, Morrisey's official Facebook page had promoted the show by posting a still image from the animation.

The show said it would not be commenting on the star's latest statement.

However, the episode's writer previously insisted that the character was not solely based on Morrissey.

"I'm sticking by that," Tim Long told Variety magazine, adding: "The character is definitely Morrissey-esque, with maybe a small dash of Robert Smith from the Cure, Ian Curtis from Joy Division, and a bunch of other people".

Called Quilloughby, the character was said to be the lead singer of a band called The Snuffs - a stand-in for The Smiths.

The episode also featured music by Flight Of The Conchords and The Muppets' songwriter, Bret McKenzie; and included parodies of The Smiths song titles, such as How Late Is Then, Hamburger Is Homicide, and Everyone Is Horrid Except Me (And Possibly You).

Long said the episode had been inspired by his love of British indie bands during the 1980s, recalling how seeing The Smiths on their The Queen Is Dead tour had "changed my life".

"I've seen Moz [Morrissey] many times since then, most recently at the Hollywood Bowl in 2018," he explained to Variety.

"Executive producer Matt Selman was also at that show, and we got to talking about how much music meant to us as weird, alienated teenagers - and also how being a big fan of someone is like having a lifelong relationship with them, with all the ups and down that implies. This show grew out of that discussion."

In recent years, Morrissey has been criticised for his outspoken and controversial views.

He has called halal meat "evil", accused London Mayor Sadiq Khan of being unable to "talk properly" and appeared to defend actor Kevin Spacey over allegations of sexual abuse.

The singer has also expressed support for the far-right For Britain party, wearing a badge with its logo on during a US TV performance.

He has consistently denied being a racist.

Panic On The Streets Of Springfield has yet to be broadcast in the UK, but is expected to premiere on Sky One next month.

Kosher Dill

Potato Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
"Poking fun at subjects is one thing," it continued, "but when a show stoops so low to use harshly hateful tactics like showing the Morrissey character with his belly hanging out of his shirt (when he has never looked like that at any point in his career) makes you wonder who the real hurtful, racist group is here.
His belly is smaller than previously photographed and no longer protruding. :mad:

RumblyTumbly

kiwifarms.net
So FXX has been airing some of the earlier seasons recently. Besides the superior writing, all I can say is... I miss Phil Hartman.

For all the talk of things that caused The Simpsons decline, I think you can point to Phil Hartman's passing as a MAJOR loss to the show, and his death was right around the time the decline became noticeable.

Not only was Hartman two of the show's very best regular side characters in Troy McClure and Lionel Hutz, but he was always popping up in random voices here and there (Like the Big Brother guy, the crooked Cable installation guy, and of course Lyle Lanley) and he was always a riot.

FriendlyPrimarina

kiwifarms.net
View attachment 2100486

Morrissey's manager attacks 'hurtful and racist' Simpsons parody

View attachment 2100481

Morrissey appears to have taken offence at The Simpsons after being sent up in the animation's latest episode.

In the show, titled Panic On The Streets of Springfield, Lisa Simpson becomes obsessed with the militantly vegan singer of a 1980s indie band.

But her dreams are shattered when it transpires her idol, voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch, had become a bitter, overweight, anti-immigrant meat-eater.

A statement on Morrissey's Facebook called the show "hurtful and racist".

View attachment 2100491

"Surprising what a 'turn for the worst' the writing for The Simpson's TV show has taken in recent years," said the statement, which was posted by the star's manager, Peter Katsis.

"Even worse - calling the Morrissey character out for being a racist, without pointing out any specific instances, offers nothing. It only serves to insult the artist."

The statement went on to accuse The Simpsons of hypocrisy, noting that white actor Hank Azaria had recently bowed to criticism and agreed to stop voicing the Indian character Apu Nahasapeemapetilon.

"Hank Azaria's recent apology to the whole country of India for his role in upholding 'structural racism' says it all," the message said.

Prior to the episode airing, Morrisey's official Facebook page had promoted the show by posting a still image from the animation.

The show said it would not be commenting on the star's latest statement.

However, the episode's writer previously insisted that the character was not solely based on Morrissey.

"I'm sticking by that," Tim Long told Variety magazine, adding: "The character is definitely Morrissey-esque, with maybe a small dash of Robert Smith from the Cure, Ian Curtis from Joy Division, and a bunch of other people".

Called Quilloughby, the character was said to be the lead singer of a band called The Snuffs - a stand-in for The Smiths.

The episode also featured music by Flight Of The Conchords and The Muppets' songwriter, Bret McKenzie; and included parodies of The Smiths song titles, such as How Late Is Then, Hamburger Is Homicide, and Everyone Is Horrid Except Me (And Possibly You).

Long said the episode had been inspired by his love of British indie bands during the 1980s, recalling how seeing The Smiths on their The Queen Is Dead tour had "changed my life".

"I've seen Moz [Morrissey] many times since then, most recently at the Hollywood Bowl in 2018," he explained to Variety.

"Executive producer Matt Selman was also at that show, and we got to talking about how much music meant to us as weird, alienated teenagers - and also how being a big fan of someone is like having a lifelong relationship with them, with all the ups and down that implies. This show grew out of that discussion."

In recent years, Morrissey has been criticised for his outspoken and controversial views.

He has called halal meat "evil", accused London Mayor Sadiq Khan of being unable to "talk properly" and appeared to defend actor Kevin Spacey over allegations of sexual abuse.

The singer has also expressed support for the far-right For Britain party, wearing a badge with its logo on during a US TV performance.

He has consistently denied being a racist.

Panic On The Streets Of Springfield has yet to be broadcast in the UK, but is expected to premiere on Sky One next month.

How is having Morrissey's belly hanging out racist? We've been joking for years that racism has lost all meaning, but this is the tipping point I feel. Also, why is Morrissey's manager hitting back instead of him? It's not like "the Simpsons is shit" is a controversial take.

MalWart

Lawn Mower Parts Salesman
kiwifarms.net
For all the talk of things that caused The Simpsons decline, I think you can point to Phil Hartman's passing as a MAJOR loss to the show, and his death was right around the time the decline became noticeable.

Not only was Hartman two of the show's very best regular side characters in Troy McClure and Lionel Hutz, but he was always popping up in random voices here and there (Like the Big Brother guy, the crooked Cable installation guy, and of course Lyle Lanley) and he was always a riot.
There are days in which I genuinely wonder if the show in its current state could've benefited from his presence. He was able to turn a clip show episode into something memorable for Christ's sake!

CWCissey

Charming Man
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
How is having Morrissey's belly hanging out racist? We've been joking for years that racism has lost all meaning, but this is the tipping point I feel. Also, why is Morrissey's manager hitting back instead of him? It's not like "the Simpsons is shit" is a controversial take.

Eh, Morrissey's Facebook said it, usually that's actually him, but I think he's using his manager to appear more authoritative.

Also Moz called the show racist because of the Apu thing, it's basically a NO U but it's actually a pretty good point seeing as Moz has never actually said anything actually racist, even if he's come close a couple of times.

HamFan

Hi, guize! OK, so
kiwifarms.net
"What's the mattah bobby? Never seen a propeh gent do a striptease in a tyke's closet before?"
View attachment 2099094

Seriously though, I think this episode only further shows how really out of touch the writers are. I mean they've always been, but Lisa's ideal fantasy man (for an 8 year old) is some vague parody of an 80s brit rock singer most little kids even in the 90s hardly even knew about. Lisa's character really is just the ideal fantasy girl for a bunch of creepy xoomer writers. Also what are the odds that they originally wrote the guy to actually be real before Disney/Fox/whatever told them to make him imaginary to be less creepy?

Unsurprisingly, the guy who wrote this episode was also the one who wrote Lisa Goes Gaga.
Ok, I was trying to ignore this/think I'm crazy, but can't:
20210419185732421964662e26dade5e6~2.jpg
ETA-
I'm pretty sure that's just an edit.
Then I feel very stupid. But it's not like I could stomach to watch the episode.

Please let me redeem my first post ITT with a quote.

Sure... Steak.

Last edited:

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm not glad enough to bother to watch it, but I'm glad they did bothered to do something with "IRL Morrissey is nobody Lisa would want to be around"
I assume it wasn't anything as funny as Imaginary Modern Morrissey showing up with a bottle, smashing it against something, and be like "OI YA BLOODY WANKER OI'LL FUKKIN GLASS YA, MATE! BREXIT NOW! ICE SOME PAKIS!" as he advanced on Imaginary Ye Olde Morrissey

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

This will all end in tears, I just know it.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
1618893842886.png

Fantastic remaster, guys. I'm really enjoying all the horizontal tearing, and the unnecessarily, pointlessly cropped footage to fit a 16:9 ratio really puts the cherry on the shit sundae. I also like how you kept all the drop shadows from the cells to give it that really dated, blown up from 240p look. Give a big thumbs up the ass to whoever is responsible for this quality rework.
1618894827975.png

Last edited: