The oldfag thread (30yo and up) - REEEEE zoomers get out!

Slappy McGherkin

Bartender? Make that a double.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I put forward that social media, not the internet, has done grave damage to the West.
That's exactly why I abandoned it all. Never was on Twitter or Instagram or Snapchat or any of those. Used to be on Facebook simply because it was a good way to keep in touch with my family, friends and fishing buddies spread out across the country. But as Facebook grew, it became more political and I found myself arguing with friends that I had never discussed politics with before. Many friendships ended. And finally I ended my Facebook account. Don't even miss it. Those that are still friends stay in touch. Those that don't, fuck 'em.

There is one thing common to everyone as you get older. Your tolerance for stupidity gets less and less and less. Not that I am or have to be right or the only opinion; I actually have some very liberal friends. But Facebook does indeed encourage stupidity and that's why it will never be a part of my life again.

Facebook is the debil, Bobby Boucher!!!!

unnamed.jpg

Sped Xing

!Bigfoot! sightings please call 908-314-7784
kiwifarms.net
Since I'm but a wee bairn in this thread, I have an issue to bring up.

I'm in my late thirties. I am middle-aged. Hopefully.

Y'all in your sixties are not middle-aged. I am willing to put down twenty bucks right now none of you ever see 120.

Kornula

kiwifarms.net
One thing I've noticed different is: "Keep on trucking", "Suck it up and drive on" and "Life isn't fair so buckle up, buttercup" was a sentiment we all grew up with.

We knew parents argued, we knew friends could disagree (even outright fistfight) and could still be friends, we knew that people made mistakes, and that there were shades of gray.

It's all missing now. One fight is a divorce (It's gotten so much worse than it was when I was a kid and like every other kid's parents were getting divorced), one disagreement is the end of a friendship, and constant complaining life isn't fair.

We also knew you had to work for what you had. Nobody would roll up and hand you everything, you had to work hard for it.

Now we see dangerhairs saying that even if you worked your ass off for something, it was really privilege that got it for you and you don't deserve it, other people wanting everything you have without working for it.

I also see people give up for the most trivial things. "Oh, my dick isn't plated in gold and I'm not 600 feet tall, guess I should just kill myself because I'm a loser" is seen all the time on the internet.

People always say "The industrial revolution had terrible effects on mankind" but I put forward that social media, not the internet, has done grave damage to the West.

Eh, I'm old and rambling.
I agree 1000000%

and I was a bum in the 1980s.. even then I knew I had to work for shit

TiggerNits

Yankee vampire living off the blood of the poor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
When I first started smoking, I could buy a carton of Marlboros for $19.00. Now it runs me almost $80 a pop.
I always complain how cigars are an expensive hobby, but then I look at my friend who still smokes cigarettes and I feel a bit better. I honestly think it's the main reason everyone in the military stopped smoking after the invasion of Iraq and just switched to chaw instead, cigarettes started to cost a small fortune at the PX

Sped Xing

!Bigfoot! sightings please call 908-314-7784
kiwifarms.net
I always complain how cigars are an expensive hobby, but then I look at my friend who still smokes cigarettes and I feel a bit better. I honestly think it's the main reason everyone in the military stopped smoking after the invasion of Iraq and just switched to chaw instead, cigarettes started to cost a small fortune at the PX
Forever wars don't pay for themselves.

The proliferation of dip bottles is Bush's worst war crime.

JosephStalin

Vozhd
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They cost even more now. Was at the Exchange recently. Over $9/pack for some brands. Mind-boggling.

I wish everyone a good V-E Day. Doesn't get the media coverage it used to get here. The Russians don't forget. 9 May is their Victory Day.

Millions of men, women, and children served and sacrificed to help defeat Nazi Germany. All gave some, some gave all, so we could have our todays. Let's not forget that, so we need not repeat it. 👍

Recovery from the surgery progressing. Have to keep myself from doing too much too soon. Happened yesterday, so am taking it as easy as I can this weekend. Nerves are different animals, indeed. Hope to start the morning walks again in a couple of weeks.