The Onion - King of the vegetables

mindlessobserver

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think my most favorite ingredient is the onion. Red, Yellow, White, Vidalia, the thing is amazing. I use it quite often, but I have found it is amazingly versatile at absorbing the flavors of sauces and in turn imparting that indescribable savory flavor to them

I now pretty much use white or yellow onions in all of my tomato sauces. I have also found its absolutely the greatest thing ever with reduction sauces. Mixed into balsamic reduction, or a bourbon/molasses reduction transforms a basic burger/beef topping into something god tier. I also have done the Townsends "roasted onion", and yep. It's good too.

What do y'all do with the sparrow lord of foods?

teat

kiwifarms.net
If I'm making a curry, I simmer them with tomatoes for about 20 min in broth before I add the spiced roux but tbh I could probably eat them just like that. It's so fragrant.
I also like them raw with poke and as a topping for chili.
But my fave is caramelized alone, the sweetness that comes out is amazing.

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
When I was a kid and teenager, I used to enjoy snacking the next day (after school, of course) on the half of the raw onion that was left over after being chopped for cooking, which even my mother found weird. And I mean the white onions, not the sweeter purple ones.

Unfortunately, if I tried doing that now, that would be a quick trip to the toilet to throw up. I still eat thin slices of raw onion in salad but I need to douse them in Heinz Salad Cream first.

Last edited:

mindlessobserver

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
When I was a kid and teenager, I used to enjoy snacking the next day (after school, of course) on the half of the raw onion that was left over after being chopped cooking, which even my mother found weird. And I mean the white onions, not the sweeter purple ones.

Unfortunately, if I tried doing that now, that would be a quick trip to the toilet to throw up. I still eat thin slices of raw onion in salad but I need to douse them in Heinz Salad Cream first.
Put the slices in a bowl of balsamic or apple cider vinegar 12 hours before you plan to eat them. Just enough to cover them. It will "cook" them slightly and make them into a sort of sweet and sour snack. Hell, let them soak for day or two and put them on the side of ANYTHING you are eating for dinner. Chicken, steak, pork, fish, it will work.

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
Put the slices in a bowl of balsamic or apple cider vinegar 12 hours before you plan to eat them. Just enough to cover them. It will "cook" them slightly and make them into a sort of sweet and sour snack. Hell, let them soak for day or two and put them on the side of ANYTHING you are eating for dinner. Chicken, steak, pork, fish, it will work.
Sometimes I just microwave onion slices for a minute for quickie caramelization. I know it's not the same quality of caramelization as when we fry them with steak but it works.

ScrapBuyer

message me if you have scrap for sale
kiwifarms.net
that sounds really fucking good, gonna try this

Tags
None