The Onion - King of the vegetables

Homoerotic Cougar-kun

NIGGER TREAT!
kiwifarms.net
If anyone wants a good and quick peasent meal, buy one of those polska kielbasa you see in the grocery store for 3.99. Slice it into rounds. Then take 3 russet potatoes (the big ones) or 4-5 large red potatoes. Dice those into squares. They can be chunky And finally the most important thing. An entire vidalia or white onion. Diced. A big one. If you get the little ones use 2 or 3.

Throw all of these things into a baking pan together. Drizzle on some vegetable oil or canola oil. Add Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder and Paprika (or spicier things if that is your thing). sift the mixture with your hands until everything is coated and the diced onion is evenly distributed.

Bake at 375 degrees for about 30-40 minutes.

You will feed a family of 4 for about 6 bucks.

This recipe also works with Spam. I fucking love it too. It's so simple and takes no time at all.

PROTIP: Drizzle Maple Syrup over the finished product before you eat it. You will be shocked what that maple sweetness does when combined with the powerfully savory onions potato and sausage.

Edit

Just made this

View attachment 1269454
I used to make the Spam version on camping trips in a skillet (using canned versions of the other ingredients), apparently it's called Casualty or something like that

mindlessobserver

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Has anyone got a good onion rings recipe? Batter always comes off mine.

All layers of an onion have a hydrophobic membrane around them. If you leave that in place your batter will run off the ring like water. It also contracts in heat and could split your batter too leading the the onion burning. You gotta take it off. If you take your onion and lightly scratch the surface layer with a fingernail, a very thing "skin" will detach. This is what I am talking about.

Before battering your onion rings stick them in the freezer for half an hour. This will make removing that layer far easier. It will also firm up the onion so it stands up to the cooking better too.

Floppy Baby

This is not America's Next Top Best Friend!
kiwifarms.net
I pickle 'em and put them on sandwiches or just eat them out of the jar. As tasty as they are I don't tend to mix them with things though because my food goes all Pepto colored (the red onions do at least). Also for some reason the onions my store has been getting lately are weirdly pungent and terrible.

melty

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If anyone wants a good and quick peasent meal, buy one of those polska kielbasa you see in the grocery store for 3.99. Slice it into rounds. Then take 3 russet potatoes (the big ones) or 4-5 large red potatoes. Dice those into squares. They can be chunky And finally the most important thing. An entire vidalia or white onion. Diced. A big one. If you get the little ones use 2 or 3.

Throw all of these things into a baking pan together. Drizzle on some vegetable oil or canola oil. Add Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder and Paprika (or spicier things if that is your thing). sift the mixture with your hands until everything is coated and the diced onion is evenly distributed.

Bake at 375 degrees for about 30-40 minutes.

You will feed a family of 4 for about 6 bucks.

This recipe also works with Spam. I fucking love it too. It's so simple and takes no time at all.

PROTIP: Drizzle Maple Syrup over the finished product before you eat it. You will be shocked what that maple sweetness does when combined with the powerfully savory onions potato and sausage.

Edit

Just made this

View attachment 1269454
This post inspired me and I've been making this every few days for about a month now. I use cabbage instead of potatoes though, but it's still great and cheap. Thank you!

Tags
None