The Origins of the Woke Left - OP is a faggot

• Conducting some maintenance.

Syaoran Li

The Fresh Prince of Mayberry
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The emergence of SJW's and the Woke Left has been fiercely debated multiple times and I've always leaned to the idea that it's largely a backlash against the Religious Right of the 80's and 90's. Or more accurately, the neocon-adjacent form it took in the Bush years when so many Millennials were in their adolescent years.

Others think differently.

Traditionalists and wignats will preach that it's an entirely manufactured phenomenon that began with the Sexual Revolution/Frankfurt School/KGB/the Jews/humans discovering the concept of entertainment/insert trad boogeyman here.

Tankies and TERF's will preach that it's merely a generational overreaction to "late stage capitalism" and point to the Great Recession and Occupy Wall Street, which was the origin point for a lot of Millennial and older Gen Z SJW's.

Over the years, I've slowly realized it's actually all of the above.

The Woke Left as we know it today emerged as the result of a perfect storm of conditions.

Yes, we all know about McCarthy's failed attempts to fight communist subversion in the 1950's and Uncle Yuri would later reveal the problem was worse than any of us thought and that the KGB specifically targeted academia and the media for subversion and did so in a way that their efforts would become self-sustaining after so many years, an experiment that would outlive the Soviet Union itself.

But prior to the Obama years, this was all largely confined to the fringe and niche corners of society. Outside of higher academia and niche groups like the punk subculture and radical feminists or extreme environmentalists, these sentiments didn't really reach the general public in America. Even the media was more concerned with making money and keeping a middle of the road viewpoint that could make the most money and reach the broadest audience.

The Great Recession and the corporate bailouts soured an entire generation on the mere concept of capitalism, which was often intentionally conflated with corporatism by both neocon pundits and hard left college professors. The Millennials went to college more than any other generation and were hit hardest by the Great Recession alongside the Baby Boomers.

Contrary to popular belief, the Boomers didn't coast through the Recession but were hit by it almost as hard as the Millennials. It was Generation X who coasted through and then used the Boomers as a scapegoat since they already hated the Boomers but were outnumbered by the Millennials culturally speaking. Seriously, most of the problems Boomers get blamed for were actually the fault of Gen X.

The New Atheism movement really exploded in the 2000's thanks to the Religious Right still being a major force in American politics and culture despite their unpopularity outside of Appalachia and a few parts of the rural Deep South and Midwest. The New Atheists were a major breeding ground for both the Woke Left and the so-called Skeptics of the 2010's.

The venomous sentiments towards conservatism and the non-coastal urban regions of the United States these days really feels like the 2004-era "Real America vs. Dumbfuckistan" rhetoric cranked up to 11, and I'm wondering how much of it is due to unsettled resentment over the 2004 election (the first election that the oldest Millennials would've been voting in) where Bush won a second term and the popular vote and did so by pandering to the fundie crowd at the time.

I think SJW's and the Woke Left would still exist in some form if things played out a little differently, but it was the unique combination of both organic generational backlash against the religious conservatives of the Millennials' Reagan-Clinton era childhoods and Bush era adolescent years and the Great Recession that made the Woke Left as a whole so numerous and powerful.

Media and academia can only go so far, there needs to be a genuine organic movement as well to underpin it.

The Woke Left came about due to a freak set of perfect conditions. It wasn't entirely the fault of the Religious Right and McCarthy didn't go far enough.

Last edited:

Syaoran Li

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Ok so another @Syaoran Li take about how SJWs=religious right. No offense dude, but get a new argument regardless if this is true or not it serves no purpose other then claiming moral high ground.

Actually, if you read my post I even mentioned that I was wrong about SJW's being entirely the fault of the Religious Right.

I think the main SJW ideological beliefs emerged due to communist subversion of the media and academia and those ideologies then became popular because Millennials hated the Religious Right AND got disproportionately fucked by the Great Recession.

If anything, I'm admitting I was sort of wrong in my earliest takes where I blamed it entirely on the Religious Right.

jje100010001

kiwifarms.net
I think the current wave of educational nonsense has some clear roots, but I'd say that there has to be some additional factors that made it as strong as it has become today.

1610768402454.png

1610768489495.png

1610768560690.png

And in addition- to explain why so many people were so eager to ACAB or stick a black box on their 'gram and get on with their lives:
1610768769918.png

I think Kiwifarms had an earlier discussion over the 'worst' generation, but if Boomers had taken over the educational system by the late 80-90s, wouldn't that have meant that they would have been educating the earliest Millenial cohorts (who incidentally now, are coming into power)?

Hypnopedosnake2

Join the communist cause
kiwifarms.net
I think it also didn't hurt that platforms like Twitter and Tumblr also got infested with these people exchanging their views and being pretty much greeted with open arms.

If it wasn't for the internet, i am not sure if the influence would be as big as we see it right now,

ClownBrew

Drink the brew!
kiwifarms.net
Frankfurt School/KGB/the Jews

As much as I hate sounding like a WN-- because I absolutely am not and never will be one of those guys-- imo, they're not wrong about the above. Even a stopped clock and all that.

The one remaining piece of the puzzle that I still can't understand, no matter how hard I try, is how so many people have willingly gone along with it all. Don't even bother schooling me about group psychology, or propaganda techniques, or blah blah blah. I'll still never be able to fathom people's reaction to this shit.

Syaoran Li

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think it also didn't hurt that platforms like Twitter and Tumblr also got infested with these people exchanging their views and being pretty much greeted with open arms.

If it wasn't for the internet, i am not sure if the influence would be as big as we see it right now,

The thing with the Woke Left is that if you remove even a single factor in the perfect storm that led to them, they wouldn't be what they are now and would not be the powerhouse they are.

If you remove the compromised media and academia, then it's a lot less likely the Millennials would turn to communism and IdPol.

If you remove the Religious Right, they wouldn't have this massive chip on their shoulders about conservatism not would they be able to draw the large numbers they did.

If you remove social media, the contact between SJW talking heads and the corporate elites is a lot more limited in its scope.

If you remove the Great Recession, there wouldn't be this deep-seated generational hatred of capitalism

As much as I hate sounding like a WN-- because I absolutely am not and never will be one of those guys-- imo, they're not wrong about the above.

The one remaining piece of the puzzle that I still can't understand, no matter how hard I try, is how so many people have willingly gone along with it all. Don't even bother schooling me about group psychology, or propaganda techniques, or blah blah blah. I'll still never be able to fathom people's reaction to this shit.

It's the one-two punch of the Great Recession making a lot of people desperate and the Religious Right making Millennials resentful and angry.

The conservatives were the fun-hating boogeymen of their childhoods, so an ideology that's anti-Christian and socially left-leaning has a broad appeal while the Great Recession and the corporatist bailouts made a lot of them think capitalism was entirely synonymous with corporatism.

Shadfan666xxx000

kiwifarms.net
It's the one-two punch of the Great Recession making a lot of people desperate and the Religious Right making Millennials resentful and angry.

The conservatives were the fun-hating boogeymen of their childhoods, so an ideology that's anti-Christian and socially left-leaning has a broad appeal while the Great Recession and the corporatist bailouts made a lot of them think capitalism was entirely synonymous with corporatism.
I get the great recession as a major stick iij ng point but what exactly did the religious right do to cause this much lingering resentment?
T. Zoomer

The Last Stand

I don't want to sound racist, but...
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I would say the Woke Left went full steam ahead during Trump but started planting the seeds around Gamergate and Travyon Martin.

As you said, it was mainly isolated in colleges and Portland.

I think with social media and the power of the Internet, it spread everywhere to where it's an uncontrollable monster because of their standards and financial backing.

Syaoran Li

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I get the great recession as a major stick iij ng point but what exactly did the religious right do to cause this much lingering resentment?
T. Zoomer

You know how SJW's have made it a point to ruin everyone's fun and just be miserable moralizers towards anyone who dares to disagree with them in anyway?

The Religious Right were the 80's and 90's equivalent of that but unlike SJW's, didn't have the benefit of social media and were a lot more regionalized in their influence by comparison so in hindsight they look kind of weak and ineffective.

In the 2000's, they became intertwined with the neocons and Bush Jr. heavily pandered to them in his rhetoric, so they still had a lot of influence within the GOP even though most people were sick of them by that point.

Throw in the fact that most Millennials are dysfunctional non-starters still stuck in their adolescent rebellion phase well into their twenties and thirties and there's your answer.

Austrian Conscript 1915

Ayyy lmao
kiwifarms.net
If you remove the compromised media and academia, then it's a lot less likely the Millennials would turn to communism and IdPol.
McCarthy did that during his reign and now McCarthyist is the adjective for paranoid crackpot conspiracy nuts who think Barack Obama was a communist.
If you remove social media, the contact between SJW talking heads and the corporate elites is a lot more limited in its scope.
as if social media created this mess. This is just the natural cycle of countries. If you removed social media then the decline would be slower (but I don't really believe that) but that wouldn't stop the natural polarization of politics

everything you say is Joe Rogan tier dummy-mode way of looking at the world. This entire thread is just "everything that is happening is new and has never happened in the past because technology makes thinks different now, but that's ok because humans are hard coded to go back to 80-90s era politics."

The Last Stand

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Religious Right were the 80's and 90's equivalent of that but unlike SJW's, didn't have the benefit of social media and were a lot more regionalized in their influence by comparison so in hindsight they look kind of weak and ineffective.
Most they had was radio, TV and their offspring.

as if social media created this mess. This is just the natural cycle of countries. If you removed social media then the decline would be slower (but I don't really believe that) but that wouldn't stop the natural polarization of politics
The Internet is more prevalent compared to even a decade or so ago because of smartphones. Smartphones then were more of a luxury with limited Internet access. Combine that with the entitlement of the younger generation, and Americans to an extent, and you have a storm that is brewing.

Syaoran Li

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
McCarthy did that during his reign and now McCarthyist is the adjective for paranoid crackpot conspiracy nuts who think Barack Obama was a communist.

everything you say is Joe Rogan tier dummy-mode way of looking at the world. This entire thread is just "everything that is happening is new and has never happened in the past because technology makes thinks different now, but that's ok because humans are hard coded to go back to 80-90s era politics."

Did you even read my post, you fucking retard?

What I said is that the specific conditions that allowed the Woke Left to get as big as it has been is a new thing.

The concept of generational backlashes and the socio-political pendulum effect is well established within history. The thing that's the most unique about this one is that technology has intensified it along with other external factors.

The Woke Left really accelerates as a backlash against the Religious Right, who gained a lot of their traction in the 80's and 90's as a backlash against the hippies and New Left of the 1960's and 1970's.

The New Left and the hippies were rebellions against the stodgy conformity and conservatism of the 1950's, which emerged partly as a response to both the hardships of WWII and the Great Depression and the libertine cultural zeitgeist of the 1920's and 1930's.

Austrian Conscript 1915

Ayyy lmao
kiwifarms.net
The Internet is more prevalent compared to even a decade or so ago because of smartphones. Smartphones then were more of a luxury with limited Internet access. Combine that with the entitlement of the younger generation, and Americans to an extent, and you have a storm that is brewing.
The Spanish civil war happened because a lot of Spanish people were terminally online I'm guessing. It is so tiring to see the same thing be repeated as common knowledge when it is so blatantly out of touch with history and all the lessons that it teaches. That being: "the internet allows freaks who usually would've had no one to communicate with to organize and gather together like a malignant tumor."

There are so many other factors that make way more sense than a theory (a bad one at that) with no scientific backing which originated from people like Joe Rogan. How about the breakdown of cultural norms? that one has been substantiated by, not only history, but science as well
What I said is that the specific conditions that allowed the Woke Left to get as big as it has been is a new thing.
no it isn't
The concept of generational backlashes and the socio-political pendulum effect is well established within history.
the pendulum has been debunked. it doesn't exist

The Last Stand

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The New Left and the hippies were rebellions against the stodgy conformity and conservatism of the 1950's, which emerged partly as a response to both the hardships of WWII and the Great Depression and the libertine cultural zeitgeist of the 1920's and 1930's.
To add to that, they reached their relevancy in culture with the Vietnam War. In a way, that was the precursor to the Woke Left we know today.

It started with Tinker v. Des Moines in 1969. The shorthand of that case is that some high school students were suspended because of wearing black wristbands in protest of the Vietnam War. They went to the Supreme Court and was ruled that they were practicing their free speech.

The straw that broke the camel's back was Kent State. Basically, the NG shot and killed four protesting campus students.

The returning soldiers were met with total disrespect for fighting in the Vietnam War, some even outside their control because of the draft.

Syaoran Li

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Spanish civil war happened because a lot of Spanish people were terminally online I'm guessing. It is so tiring to see the same thing be repeated as common knowledge when it is so blatantly out of touch with history and all the lessons that it teaches. That being: "the internet allows freaks who usually would've had no one to communicate with to organize and gather together like a malignant tumor."

There are so many other factors that make way more sense than a theory (a bad one at that) with no scientific backing which originated from people like Joe Rogan. How about the breakdown of cultural norms? that one has been substantiated by, not only history, but science as well

no it isn't

the pendulum has been debunked. it doesn't exist

Did you even read what I said?

1. The only thing I mentioned about technology is how the internet has made social and cultural phenomena get bigger more quickly and make mountains out of molehills.

Put it this way, if the internet as we know it today existed in the 1930's, the Spanish Civil War would've been a lot bloodier and a lot more insane AND would've started over some idiotic nonsense like Pablo Picasso eating out five noblewomen at the King's palace in Madrid so his paintings could be displayed there instead of the government crisis between the Second Republic and those loyal to the old Crown.

2. Yes, it is a new thing. The internet is merely a catalyst and social media as we know it today has only existed for a decade and a half at the absolute most

3. The pendulum is a thing in American politics and culture and has been since the early 20th Century at the very least. Just because it doesn't exist in whatever Northern European shithole you probably live in doesn't mean it's not present elsewhere, you willfully ignorant moron.