The Origins of the Woke Left - OP is a faggot

• Registration closed, comedy forum, Internet drama, Sneed, etc.

Sweetpeaa

kiwifarms.net
I never saw that movie but I remember when it came out, though it released in 2014 it was filmed in 2013, so it's got to be one of the earliest examples of modern "Woke" ever made.

And like I said, I think Woke is a kissing cousin of good old fashioned cynicism, in the 2000s the equivalent to Woke was that really bitter, bone deep cynicism I remember some people had, which I never liked even at the time, it's no surprise Maddox went Woke to me because he epitomizes the attitude I'm talking about.

That "haha, everyone is an idiot except me" style narcissism evolved into "haha, everyone is racist and sexist except me" style narcissism.

It's also related to things like emo culture I think, I noticed a lot of former emos went Woke as well, what the emos and the cynics of the 2000s have in common with the Woke of today is they're all fundamentally miserable people who love to make others as miserable as they are, they just switched from bad poetry or snark to endless identity politics.

Except Emo's weren't race obsessed. Emo culture was predominately a high school culture and a fashion statement.

I'm not so sure they became "woke" either. These peoples (2000's teens) are in their 30's. Modern woke seems very Gen Z despite it being started (including black lives matter) by mostly black millennials from 2012-2014. Gen Z seems to be. Owning the "woke" these days.

Syaoran Li

Born To Raise Hell
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Except Emo's weren't race obsessed. Emo culture was predominately a high school culture and a fashion statement.

I'm not so sure they became "woke" either. These peoples (2000's teens) are in their 30's. Modern woke seems very Gen Z despite it being started (including black lives matter) by mostly black millennials from 2012-2014. Gen Z seems to be. Owning the "woke" these days.

I think what he's saying is that a lot of those Emo Millennials later became woke when they got older. A lot of them became hipsters later on. A lot of the early SJW's circa 2011-2015 were hipsters and punks as well.

Most of the Woke Left has this cargo cult love for punk culture and aesthetics and a lot of that came from early SJW's having ties to the punk and emo subcultures when they were younger and because the North American Antifa gangs got their start in the punk scene of the 1980's.

This even carried over into the older Zoomers who make up the ranks of the majority of the Woke Left along with younger Late Millennials

Derka Derka

Hypersonic Gonads
kiwifarms.net
Woke roots come from Critical Theory, developed by marxist influenced Frankfurt school academics (who escaped the turmoil of Europe and ended up in Columbia University)

It's all about challenging western values, focusing on individual rights (victims) against societal norms (oppressors)

CU was the birthplace of many counter-culture movements from the 1960s (black power, second wave feminism, sexual liberation, gay rights etc). It also heavily influences the U.S. education system. This all came from writings of the Frankfurt schools academics, and their spawn,

The counter-culture movements have been permeating through all facets of society for over a half a century. Where it used to be fragmented fringe movements, it became the mainstream cultural norm.

What you see as woke now, started during Obamas presidency. Where those movements became emboldened by his social change platform (and him coming from minority victim roots). MSM, Hollywood and social media were already permeated with woke elements)

The dems embraced them during Obamas time (where he voiced support for counter-culture movements, under the banner of social change). But always kept them on a leash.

As soon as the Orange man got into power, those movements got unleashed, and you are looking at the resulting wasteland.

Alexander Thaut

Viva Venezuela!
kiwifarms.net
Woke roots come from Critical Theory, developed by marxist influenced Frankfurt school academics (who escaped the turmoil of Europe and ended up in Columbia University)

It's all about challenging western values, focusing on individual rights (victims) against societal norms (oppressors)

CU was the birthplace of many counter-culture movements from the 1960s (black power, second wave feminism, sexual liberation, gay rights etc). It also heavily influences the U.S. education system. This all came from writings of the Frankfurt schools academics, and their spawn,

The counter-culture movements have been permeating through all facets of society for over a half a century. Where it used to be fragmented fringe movements, it became the mainstream cultural norm.

What you see as woke now, started during Obamas presidency. Where those movements became emboldened by his social change platform (and him coming from minority victim roots). MSM, Hollywood and social media were already permeated with woke elements)

The dems embraced them during Obamas time (where he voiced support for counter-culture movements, under the banner of social change). But always kept them on a leash.

As soon as the Orange man got into power, those movements got unleashed, and you are looking at the resulting wasteland.
now antifa and BLM whine about how the consequences of them not being too useful anymore and getting shut up.

Just Another Apocalypse

kiwifarms.net

I posted a distilled version of this yesterday. The author disagreed. But that's probably because I called them thick as shi t and wiki user.

Your post has too many long sentences, so I doubt they'll read it.

Hitler was the daddy SJW.

Sweetpeaa

kiwifarms.net
I think what he's saying is that a lot of those Emo Millennials later became woke when they got older. A lot of them became hipsters later on. A lot of the early SJW's circa 2011-2015 were hipsters and punks as well.

Most of the Woke Left has this cargo cult love for punk culture and aesthetics and a lot of that came from early SJW's having ties to the punk and emo subcultures when they were younger and because the North American Antifa gangs got their start in the punk scene of the 1980's.

This even carried over into the older Zoomers who make up the ranks of the majority of the Woke Left along with younger Late Millennials

When I think of hipster culture I think of MGMT, American apparel fashion and indie music festivals. It was actually an incredibly white subculture. If you were a hipster in 2010 you probably wouldn't even give a black person or their issues a second thought. They were however the first to go towards the ''occupy wall street'' movement. Hipsters didn't start showing interest in blacks until either the Trayvon Martin crap or the Ferguson riots a few years later. Then the hash tagging for black lives matter began.

Syaoran Li

Born To Raise Hell
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I posted a distilled version of this yesterday. The author disagreed. But that's probably because I called them thick as shi t and wiki user.

Your post has too many long sentences, so I doubt they'll read it.

Hitler was the daddy SJW.

No, I read it.

To answer @Derka Derka you are partially right. Critical Theory began with the Frankfurt School and the French postmodernists but the Woke Left of today is more recent and widespread to a variety of factors.

The counterculture of the American far left did have a lot of ties to the Frankfurt School at CU but the Frankfurt School's influence was limited outside a select few areas prior to the 21st Century.

Even with the influence it had in media and academia, Critical Theory wasn't pushed in the mainstream until the 2010's and you didn't get rabid young cultists slavishly dedicated to it until that time either.

Prior to Obama, even the most lefty of media figures knew that you couldn't alienate the majority of the populace. That's why the MSM was fairly middle of the road and centrist/center-left liberal in most of its output.

Obama was willing to give empty platitudes to the leftist elements in academia and media but it wasn't until 2011 with Occupy Wall Street did we see the Woke Left as we know it today gain traction and when corporations increasingly began to back them.

Like you said, Obama was able to leash them when needed and the leftists were emboldened by Obama's rhetoric but after 2016, they were fully unleashed and all bets were off.

Another angle as to why this countercultural leftism became more ingrained now when compared to the 1960's and 1970's is because the Millennials and the Zoomers are more receptive to it for a wide variety of reasons.

The Baby Boomers and the younger Silent Generation adapted some of the leftist counterculture but most of the ones outside of a select few academic fields dropped most of the deeper and serious tenets of it once the Vietnam War ended and the malaise of the 70's gave way to Reagan, and suddenly a lot of former lefties went from "Yippie to Yuppie" in the 80's and 90's.

With the Millennials and the oldest of the Zoomers, they have this deep seated hatred of conservatism thanks to the Religious Right and the neocons in the Bush years.

Generation X has a similar mindset of "Team Blue Good, Team Red Bad" but they're more inclined towards neoliberalism and more genuine support for the Democratic Party since they weren't as fucked by the Great Recession like the Millennials were.

The Zoomers are turbo-woke thanks to their Millennial siblings and the influence of social media. Plus the corporations are all in on the Woke Left as useful idiots.

The Frankfurt School was not alone in forming Critical Theory and regardless, it wouldn't have been dominant outside of academic circles had it not been for the Great Recession and conservative traditionalists shitting the bed in the previous culture wars of the 1980's, 1990's, and early 2000's.

Last edited:

Just Another Apocalypse

kiwifarms.net
No, I read it.

To answer @Derka Derka you are partially right. The counterculture of the American far left did have a lot of ties to the Frankfurt School at CU but the Frankfurt School's influence was limited outside a select few areas prior to the 21st Century.

Even with the influence it had in media and academia, Critical Theory wasn't pushed in the mainstream until the 2010's and you didn't get rabid young cultists slavishly dedicated to it until that time either.

Prior to Obama, even the most lefty of media figures knew that you couldn't alienate the majority of the populace. That's why the MSM was fairly middle of the road and centrist/center-left liberal in most of its output.

Obama was willing to give empty platitudes to the leftist elements in academia and media but it wasn't until 2011 with Occupy Wall Street did we see the Woke Left as we know it today gain traction and when corporations increasingly began to back them.

Like you said, Obama was able to leash them when needed and the leftists were emboldened by Obama's rhetoric but after 2016, they were fully unleashed and all bets were off.

Another angle as to why this countercultural leftism became more ingrained now when compared to the 1960's and 1970's is because the Millennials and the Zoomers are more receptive to it for a wide variety of reasons.

The Baby Boomers and the younger Silent Generation adapted some of the leftist counterculture but most of the ones outside of a select few academic fields dropped most of the deeper and serious tenets of it once the Vietnam War ended and the malaise of the 70's gave way to Reagan, and suddenly a lot of former lefties went from "Yippie to Yuppie" in the 80's and 90's.

With the Millennials and the oldest of the Zoomers, they have this deep seated hatred of conservatism thanks to the Religious Right and the neocons in the Bush years.

Generation X has a similar mindset of "Team Blue Good, Team Red Bad" but they're more inclined towards neoliberalism and more genuine support for the Democratic Party since they weren't as fucked by the Great Recession like the Millennials were.

The Zoomers are turbo-woke thanks to their Millennial siblings and the influence of social media. Plus the corporations are all in on the Woke Left as useful idiots.

The Frankfurt School was not alone in forming Critical Theory and regardless, it wouldn't have been dominant outside of academic circles had it not been for the Great Recession and conservative traditionalists shitting the bed in the previous culture wars of the 1980's, 1990's, and early 2000's.

Actually, I was in the middle of making a response to it while you were freaking out over internet stickers
Everything you just wrote is bollocks, but still, it keeps you occupied.

The Last Stand

It's mine, x3. Whose world is this?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Hipsters didn't start showing interest in blacks until either the Trayvon Martin crap or the Ferguson riots a few years later. Then the hash tagging for black lives matter began.
Why did hipsters begin to care about Blacks?

Just Another Apocalypse

kiwifarms.net
Sir, this is an Arby's.
as it might be. What you wrote is still bollocks. CT is a product of the FS thinkers. That is a historical facf. Grievance Studies (see James Lindsey) is the forerunner of social justice.
Hilter, Mao, whether you like it or not, were the sjws of their day.
Oh and Angela Davis was a CTist as well.

Edit: thanks for admitting you wrote bollocks. First acknowledgement, then acceptance.

YW

Last edited:

Syaoran Li

Born To Raise Hell
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
as it might be. What you wrote is still bollocks. CT is a product of the FS thinkers. That is a historical facf. Grievance Studies (see James Lindsey) is the forerunner of social justice.
Hilter, Mao, whether you like it or not, were the sjws of their day.
Oh and Angela Davis was a CTist as well.

I know. At no point did I disagree with CT being derived from the Frankfurt School. And I'm no fan of Hitler, Lenin, Mao, or Angela Davis either.

The only point of contention was that CT didn't become fully and totally mainstream outside of academic circles until after 2010 or so and that there were a bunch of different factors that allowed it to fully break into the wider everyday mainstream.

EDIT - I'm not sure how what I said means "admitting I wrote bollocks" but hey, if that's what makes you feel like you're some kind of profound intellectual instead of another asshole on the internet, more power to you

Just Another Apocalypse

kiwifarms.net
I know. At no point did I disagree with CT being derived from the Frankfurt School. And I'm no fan of Hitler, Lenin, Mao, or Angela Davis either.

The only point of contention was that CT didn't become fully and totally mainstream outside of academic circles until after 2010 or so.
Um, you think that the cultural revolution in China happened after 2010?

Boubala, are you on meth?

Syaoran Li

Born To Raise Hell
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Um, you think that the cultural revolution in China happened after 2010?

Boubala, are you on meth?

Dude, I've been specifically talking about what's going on here in the United States the entire time.

I get the parallels between the Cultural Revolution of the 1960's and what's going on now here in America but we were talking about the specific situations in American academia

The topic you mentioned was Frankfurt School thinkers relocating to American universities.

Just Another Apocalypse

kiwifarms.net
Dude, I've been specifically talking about what's going on here in the United States the entire time.

I get the parallels between the Cultural Revolution of the 1960's and what's going on now here in America, but at this point you're just grasping at straws to disagree with me so you keep acting smug.
No, you just moved the goal posts because you didn't do your research.

previously you stated that CT wasn't solely from the FS.

project smugness if you want. If you don't want to be corrected, don't be incorrect.

Structural/cultural marxism is the theme running through this.

SIGSEGV

All statements made by this account are fiction.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
And like I said, I think Woke is a kissing cousin of good old fashioned cynicism, in the 2000s the equivalent to Woke was that really bitter, bone deep cynicism I remember some people had, which I never liked even at the time, it's no surprise Maddox went Woke to me because he epitomizes the attitude I'm talking about.

That "haha, everyone is an idiot except me" style narcissism evolved into "haha, everyone is racist and sexist except me" style narcissism.

It's also related to things like emo culture I think, I noticed a lot of former emos went Woke as well, what the emos and the cynics of the 2000s have in common with the Woke of today is they're all fundamentally miserable people who love to make others as miserable as they are, they just switched from bad poetry or snark to endless identity politics.
OLD GOOD NEW BAD

Dom Cruise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Why did hipsters begin to care about Blacks?
They got hardcore guilt tripped because "hipster" was something alternative to mainstream culture, the powers that be didn't like that.

It's the same reason gamers got attacked, the powers that be discovered that more and more people were turning away from mainstream culture because it got so stupid and were instead creating little cultural fiefdoms like hipster and gamer cultures.

Then the 2010s rolled along and they went on the attack, gamers fought back but hipsters just rolled over and took it, since they were always very left leaning.

The powers that be don't want people just tuning out and ignoring "mainstream" culture for the same reason you couldn't just turn off the Viewscreen in 1984 if you were a prole, they want you paying attention to their propaganda, they want you thinking how they want you to think, so they played the race card (as well as the gender card) to guilt trip everyone into falling back in line, it didn't work as well as they had hoped on everyone, but it worked like gangbusters on hipsters, to the degree that there's basically no such thing as hipsters as there were a decade ago, they all got turned into Neo Punk foot soldiers for corporate America's agendas, gone are the days of arguing over obscure bands or collecting old vinyl records, they'd rather march in the street and smash your face in with a brick.

Derka Derka

Hypersonic Gonads
kiwifarms.net
No, I read it.

To answer @Derka Derka you are partially right. Critical Theory began with the Frankfurt School and the French postmodernists but the Woke Left of today is more recent and widespread to a variety of factors.

The counterculture of the American far left did have a lot of ties to the Frankfurt School at CU but the Frankfurt School's influence was limited outside a select few areas prior to the 21st Century.

I'd like to know what else you believe was a major contributor of woke.

I believe Critique was coined by a 18th century revolutionary Frenchie, and Critical Theory itself was mainly influenced on works of a couple card carrying commies from Italy/Hungary.

The soviets pumped a lot of money into left leaning Universities as part of their subversion campaign against the west. It didn't work for decades, but it sewed the seeds for the following decades.

The U.S. public education system has been heavily influenced by left leaning universities (significantly CU) who has been training generations of teachers and coming up with a large chunk of educational material. The Gen-X'ers were taught by the Boomer hippys, who in turn taught the Millenials (and so on). Each generation increased the amount of social drivel, until the latest generation are in full indoctrination mode. I remember hippy teachers at school and, unlike the grumpy (silent) older generation teachers, they were likeable and generally cared about their pupils/environment/everything.

The corporations have been playing the smart game, where they fully embrace the woke left (superficially) and making themselves look like the good guys. The amount of money they had to invest in CRT/white privilege training and messaging has been pocket change to them.