The Outer Worlds - Obsidian's new game, like Borderlands meets Fallout: New Vegas

Tor Lugosi

kiwifarms.net
After taking a break from it from it I managed to finish it today.

- While the factions that you helped out do lend a hand during the final dungeon they're only actually helpful if you're going in guns-blazing. If, like me, you do the stealth route then they offer no help at all. Outside of that, though, your choices don't seem to much affect the endgame portion much.

- You do get different slides depending on your choices but looking at the collection of ending slides on the game's wiki they seem kinda binary. Mostly 'you made the right choice' or 'you fucked up there'. Looks like I made all the right choices via being neutral and finding compromises between factions.

- The ending seems to set up future content. The lost military ship sounds like potential DLC while the Earth going dark seems like sequel bait.

- There's technically a second route throughout the game: you can turn in Phineas extremely early on and have (I think, I haven't done it myself) Sophia (who otherwise isn't introduced until near the end) be the plot dispenser instead of Phineas. Unfortunately, this again looks like a 'good choice' vs 'bad choice' type of thing.

- Outside of the faction and companion quests I don't think there was any side quests I actually liked. Most just felt like your typical busy work - collect x, kill y, talk to z.

- ADA felt incomplete. Early in the game they seem to hint that there's something unique or off about her but nothing ever seems to come of it. Her dialogue tree never updated past the halfway point in the game for me.

- I'm fairly certain Ellie was meant to be a romance option and that she was designed with that in mind but then they ended up cutting that stuff near the end of the game's development. As such she has a lot less content than most of other companions -- her personal quest is like five minutes long compared to the long, game spanning ones of Parvati and Vicor or even Nyoka's shorter but still lengthy one. Ellie's dialogue tree is also somewhat sparse compared to the others. Felix seemed to have suffer from the same fate. I wonder if they'll re-introduce it as DLC. I'm curious if the rather vocal disappointment of Deadfire's romances played a part in this.

- The ship events between party members were amusing and a nice touch but there only seemed to be like ten of them, so they got repetitive. KotOR II: Sith Lords had similar events on the Ebon Hawk.

- The flaw system is re.tarded. Taking substantial stat loses in return for a single perk point is really shitty design. Perks aren't at all interesting and with the max level cap being 30 you'll get 15 perk points to spend, which is more than enough to get everything you want.

- Equipment and loot never gets any better. Outside of the science weapons (of which there are only like five or so, which are largely just gimmicky) you'll probably see every weapon the game has to offer by the time you finish up Edgewater. The handful of unique weapons are just slightly buffed regular weapons that you can't mod.

Between the very simple gameplay mechanics, the straightforward and bland character system, the horrible loot, the disappointing exploration, and some missing content I have a feeling this was another incomplete Obsidian game. The difference here being that they've gotten a lot better at stitching together what they did complete and hiding the unfinished parts, especially compared to Sith Lords, Alpha Protocol, NWN2, and even New Vegas.

Maybe after a year of patching and DLCs this will be a better game but right now I'd easily rate it as a 6/10. As a whole I found it disappointing and underwhelming. Obsidian was really good at supporting Pillars of Eternity 1 & 2 for roughly a year each, constantly polishing and updating the gameplay mechanics, adding in new content, and releasing DLC. Microsoft might want them to focus on a new project for them, though, so who knows.

MightyBiteySnake

DEPRESSED SNAKE DEPRESSED SNAKE
kiwifarms.net
I'm gonna make this nice and easy:

What I Liked:
- The World: Halcyon was a great setting. Felt a little cramped at times but I thought every place they showed off gave us enough to enjoy.
- The Characters: overall I felt most of the companions were pretty good. Pavarti was cute and funny, and I felt like her romance with Junlei wasn't really forced. Max was pretty much my favorite character, and I liked all the faction leaders and their stories.
What I Didn't Like:
- The Pacing: while I thought the main story was pretty well-paced and a lot of the faction quests, some side quests felt like they were over before they began. In particular Ellie's and Felix's quests were so dreadfully short I wasn't even sure if some of the points were even actual choices or not.
- The Combat: I really liked the weak spot and TTD systems. Particularly finding weakpoints on robots was cool because each robot had a different weakspot. I wish they used that kind of stuff more; giving raptidons or matisaurs a non-headshot weakspot would've been cool but oh well. Stealth was useless against non humanoids and in general combat felt a little dry.
- The Perk Systems: Perks were boring and flaws were never worth taking. I didn't feel like I was building a character like in new Vegas I felt like I was speccing abilities into my LoL champ

Overall, what I want to see more than anything else is either DLC or a sequel. I think the remaining planets we haven't been to in Halcyon and their descriptions are pretty obvious dlc bait.

The ending, and the little bits of things we haven't seen in Halcyon made me want to see more of it (in particular I think its a little weird that we never saw any kind of OSI mission besides the one in Edgewater). I think a Fallout 2 style sequel with improved combat and more depth would be phenomenal

MrTickles

Ducking Fegenerate
kiwifarms.net
I'm about halfway through the quests and my enjoyment is diminishing with every hour. This is a case where shorter and sweeter would have sufficed. Perhaps 7 hours for main quest, 14 hours with fewer, better side quests. Richer, more varied environments with deeper character arcs.

Every world or landing zone is just a differently themed map with samey, more spongy enemies strewn about, standing in the way of key sites you need to enter to get quest items or meet npcs. Rinse and repeat ad infinitum.

The level stats don't seem to make much difference, nowhere near as much as the guns, some of which are OP. So leveling has largely become reduntant. I just dump all my points randomly into shit without looking. The start of the game was strong precisely because the two environments were so different (scenic world map vs enclosed space station). But now the rest of the maps are just more of the same with different colour schemes.

I was disappointed by Byzantium. I thought it would be this lush, open city with boulevards and public parks befitting of a rich region. After all, rich and opulent is synonymous with extra, more bountiful premium territory. Nope, it's just a claustrophobic cluster of steel structures. Even Manhattan where space is at a premium has a giant open space in the form of a park. But this is some cookie cutter Imperial City of Cyrodill bullshit.

Down from 8 to 7/10. Probably a 6/10 by the time I'm done.

Last edited:

MemeGray

@Maskull's favourite comedian
kiwifarms.net
Finished my first run, played with low intelligence and sided with the board and the towns (except fallbrook because the stupid bitch running the place had a high speech check and the boarst man didn't)

I highly recommend a low intelligence playthrough.

• Informative
Reactions: Slimy Time

Dr. Geronimo

Echo chambers are bad for your health.
kiwifarms.net
Yeah I'm done. The entirety of this game's faction is just pro vs. anti corporation. This game physically taxes my system, literally hurts to look at, is poorly optimized and overall just generic as fuck. How the fuck did these jokers make space seem generic?

GloriousScarf

kiwifarms.net
Cons:

- It was way way way too short. I expected more for the price. I've already platinumed it through two playthroughs since last Friday on top of working most days and actually going out and doing things (this is how short it actually is).
- I agree with whoever said the perks were boring and consequently the flaws weren't worth taking.
- The skill points don't seem to make any impact (apart from the lie, persuade skills)
- I thought the weapons and armor were pretty boring as well, just the same stuff everywhere.

Pros:

- The companions. I dug their personalities and their questions. Even if some again were too short.
- The world building
- The story was good

Overall I did enjoy it andwould definitely invest in a sequel if they padded it out more.

Zaryiu

Nobody important
kiwifarms.net
Will it eventually be released on PS4 (I don't have money for another console so i'm more interested in option that cost less) and is the good? I don't want to spoil it in case i get it one day after all potential dlcs are out

MemeGray

@Maskull's favourite comedian
kiwifarms.net
Will it eventually be released on PS4 (I don't have money for another console so i'm more interested in option that cost less) and is the good? I don't want to spoil it in case i get it one day after all potential dlcs are out
It's out on ps4, xbox1, switch and pc

Vault Boy

Corporate Mascot of Vault-Tec.
kiwifarms.net
So, the pacing kinda went to shit on Monarch.

Don't get me wrong, I was going to do the quests for Sanjar and the Iconoclasts anyway since I want to complete as much as I can, but why is it part of the main quest? Them "hogging the comms" is such a ridiculous excuse to delay getting the chemicals. Is the game so short that they're already resorting to padding?

The more I play, the more I suspect much of the praise for it is mainly people wanting to swipe at Bethesda. Just a hunch...

• Agree
Reactions: Adamska

Slimy Time

Rape Face #4
kiwifarms.net
So, the pacing kinda went to shit on Monarch.

Don't get me wrong, I was going to do the quests for Sanjar and the Iconoclasts anyway since I want to complete as much as I can, but why is it part of the main quest? Them "hogging the comms" is such a ridiculous excuse to delay getting the chemicals. Is the game so short that they're already resorting to padding?

The more I play, the more I suspect much of the praise for it is mainly people wanting to swipe at Bethesda. Just a hunch...
It's why after I did the quests required for one of them and the game wanted me to do all the quests for the other to continue with the story, shooting the leader of the other faction was the most expedient manner of getting through that section.

Azazel

Top of the Game
kiwifarms.net
Is the game so short that they're already resorting to padding?
Yes. I've heard the term "front loaded" and "reviewer bait". That's pretty much what it is. Edgewater and Parvati are really well paced, fleshed out quests, nice sense of exploration. Groundbreaker is neat because of the dramatic change in scenery. But from Monarch onward....which I thought was supposed to be like 70% of the game - turns out to be basically nothing substantial. More of the same enemies with the same weapons in maps that don't even stand out. And Sam, Felix and Ellie are lifeless dead fish companions with boring pointless quests.

Ruin

#respectskeltins
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It is extremely short for an rpg though. My playthrough on hard mode was a little over 18 hours and I didn't speedrun. According to Fextralife I fully explored the maps and did every sidequest except one fetch quest.

If we get a few sizable DLC expansions like FNV I'll revise my opinion but the base release feels very rushed and incomplete.

Vault Boy

Corporate Mascot of Vault-Tec.
kiwifarms.net
It is extremely short for an rpg though. My playthrough on hard mode was a little over 18 hours and I didn't speedrun. According to Fextralife I fully explored the maps and did every sidequest except one fetch quest.

If we get a few sizable DLC expansions like FNV I'll revise my opinion but the base release feels very rushed and incomplete.
Unbelievable, and people were saying this game should scare Bethesda. Is this game even going to be remembered all that much by the time Starfield comes out, or even just a year later? I don't want to sound like I'm hating the game, but people had to have been high off of the Fallout 76 and Fallout 1st fumes when they called this game genuine competition.

I'll wait for the DLC (at a discount) to reserve final judgement, but as it is Obsidian really needs to make the sequel shine.

Dr. Geronimo

Echo chambers are bad for your health.
kiwifarms.net
Unbelievable, and people were saying this game should scare Bethesda. Is this game even going to be remembered all that much by the time Starfield comes out, or even just a year later? I don't want to sound like I'm hating the game, but people had to have been high off of the Fallout 76 and Fallout 1st fumes when they called this game genuine competition.

I'll wait for the DLC (at a discount) to reserve final judgement, but as it is Obsidian really needs to make the sequel shine.
I was prepared for a smaller game like Fallout, but I think this wasn't enough. If you're going to make it smaller it needs to be denser and they fucked that part up.

SiccDicc

See you next fall...
kiwifarms.net

I don't expect any DLC for this game since 2K funded it and Obsidian is now owned by Microsoft. Even then this was clearly a game rushed to release to keep the lights on as Avellone said constantly happens in that studio.

Obsidian is hardly the developer they used to be.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino