The Outer Worlds - Obsidian's new game, like Borderlands meets Fallout: New Vegas

Pargon

He don't
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It was a solid "meh" for me; the combat was satisfying at first. I ran a sniper build around the time dilation stuff and by the end had no need whatsoever of any sort of backup...

...which was good because the companions killed it for me. Kept it from being a really enjoyable game. Three of the six are cribbed directly from Firefly: Ellie (a defector from decadence doctor who was pushed into it by her wealthy parents), Vicar Max (the western spiritualist with a ~mysterious~ checkered past) and Parvati (the aw-shucks Missouri-accented engineer who totally isn't Kaylee because she's a cold fish instead of having an unabashed sex drive). The other three are a white guy so generic and out-of-place that I swear he was written as some sort of send-up for "HEH BORING WHITE GUYS, RIGHT???", Generic Drunken Roughhouser and Robot Whose Programming Is A One-Note Joke That Never Ends. Five seconds into all of their introduction dialogues and I felt like I knew everything that was worth knowing about them.

I don't expect genius writing in games even though by now we ought to have more than one writer per console generation who can make the medium actually work for storytelling but these are all archetypes that the target audience for this game are almost guaranteed to have seen many, many times. I'm definitely the minority in that party member interaction and design are the things I actively look for in RPGs but I expected the envelope to be pushed at least a little bit instead of the limp-wristed safe bet this was.

ETA: oh, and the game never made me laugh. Not once, and I'm not hard to please. A well-timed fart can make me laugh.

Last edited:

BigTimeSamurai

I AM A DIGITAL CYBER DEMON!!!
kiwifarms.net
So I just spent like 40 hours playing this and I have to get some stuff of my chest here

I wouldn't really say I am a huge fan of the Fallout series or anything like that. They're some good games but that's about it for me. Fallout 3 had a great atmosphere but awful gameplay and wooden characters. New Vegas was a step up in that regards and for all it's shortcomings I had an unreal amount of enjoyment playing Fallout 4 on survival mode going on excursions into the Boston Ruins for screws and tape for my township and ignoring the supposed plot of the game. I don't have a hateboner for Bethesda or anything like that, they still publish some good shit now and then.

But anyways like someone already said here I am pretty sure people are just shilling this game hard because you know Fuck Bethesda, but honestly this game was underwhelming to say the least and it felt unpolished, undercooked and downright sloppy in places.

I have played through this game twice now on normal and supernova and it was an absolute cake walk on both. On supernova only the first area is remotely a challenge because you have no skills yet and I wanted Parvatti to survive because supernova has companion permadeath which is pretty cool tbh. They even removed manual saves so you couldn't save scum. The only problem is that they fucked this up because the game autosaves whenever before you enter a new area or go through any load screen meaning that you can force an autosave anywhere on the map by just fast travelling to the ship. Even ignoring that the problem with this difficulty is that death is a non-issue as the stealth system is completely broken and the wilderness is not a threat. What I ended up doing was dumping points into leadership and determination decking the vicar and the mechanic in heavy armor and giving them minguns and then I just watched them mow down absolutely everything, I struggled to even get kills. The companions don't even use ammo, their gear doesn't deteriorate either so you don't have to even worry about that lol.

I wouldn't really bother with the Supernova diffilculty, it's only tedious really.

The writing (the thing Obsidian are supposed to be good at btw) was also pretty sloppy this time around. New Vegas' central conflict was amazingly presented, it bled into almost every side quest in some way and you knew every character had some stake in it be it big or small and the entire thing was morally grey, it was left up to the player to decide what was best for the Mojave and you can make good arguments for every faction, I sided with House myself as I saw him as the best chance of bringing prosperity back to the Mojave but I'm sure a lot of you think that's the wrong call and isn't that just interesting huh?

Well how does the Outer Worlds stack up in this regard? Well it fucking doesn't. Within the context of the narrative at least, there is no way to rationalise siding with The Board as they are corrupt, incompetent and generally unpleasant. Not to mention all of your companions are opposed to The Board except the cleaning robot and this a gripe I have not just with this game but wit RPGs like this in general, Pillars of Eternity had this same problem too, but why does every single companion in these RPGs always have a heart of gold at the end of the day. Like what if I was hoping to lead a band of evil scoundrels and take whatever I like from the colony? Am I going to get a literal lecture from the priest? Is it like a marketing and PR thing or something like that? In the old school CRPGs this was not an issue at all, I mean in Baldur's Gate 2 you could wear the flesh of another human being after first curing it in the blood of a silver dragon and Jaheira would leave the party in absolute disgust but Viconia would probably just get a little moist from it all.

Anyways in my last playthrough I sided with The Board and at one point they ask you to send automechanicals into Edgewater and slaughter the town. I decided to bring Parvatti with me to see what would happen, to see if she would grow a backbone and try to gun me down but no she dutifully obliged without so much as a peep. Standing in the remains of her hometown with everyone she ever knew still bleeding out on the streets she looked me dead in the eye and asked me if I would take her dress shopping the next time we're in Byzantium. I said that I would .

There is a lot of oversight like this unfortunately. In my second playthrough the Earth Minister guy (forgot his name and so did you) had an ending slide about what he was up to despite the fact that I never even met him in my playthrough because I had sided with The Board. The fuck is that all about?

The writing is inconsistent generally, people saying it is front loaded and whatnot which is true, I am not sure if it is because the game was rushed or frankly if they just didn't care that much. The plot of this game is literally a joke and I don't mean that to be dismissive, the script is a parody of modern corporations and it may as well have been (in fact it probably was) written by and for the people over at r/latestagecapitalism to get a chuckle, except the only problem is that it wasn't especially funny and the plot is played completely straight. These jokers on The Board who can't even film a video warning of the colony facing a starvation properly are expected to be taken seriously. Really?

The companions also range from unlikable to unmemorable, except for Parvatti who was charming, I give the credit to her VA for that though. In fact I think Obsidian or at least nu-Obsidian have a real problem writing characters in general. They are all just stereotypes or memes. In particular Ellie's quest stood out to me as the whole premise and payoff for it was just bizarre as in I had no idea what I was expected to feel. She selfishly runs out on her parents without so much as a goodbye or an explanation to senselessly risk her life and become a criminal and gets pissed off when they have moved on with their lives, then throws a tantrum before committing fraud and now she's a better person for all of this. Who the fuck wrote this? And did anyone else get annoyed that Max was the only character to speak about the OSI church in any meaningful way, there doesn't appear to be a single colonist who is actually devout or really even have an opinion on it, like at all. It's literally just an expletive to them. Oh not to mention that his character arc is literally just Doood WEEEED haHa. Compelling stuff. Fallout 4 had more likable and interesting companions FFS.

Anyhow, I've got a LOT more nitpicks but I think I have got the point across, if I keep going then I may find myself going full Mister Caption on this shit and making a 3 hour long video about this game.

TLDR: This is not Fallout New Vegas. Companions suck and there is no dog companion. California interns are tarnishing another RPG companies legacy so it's business as usual really 7/10 Parvatti is cute.

Violence Jack

Like a wraith, I cling to life, strife be my guide
kiwifarms.net
So far this seems like what I feared when I played Pillars 2. The writing has declined and doesn't give weight to the options you can take in-game. This is a real shame when this was the same company that made Mask of the Betrayer which debatably featured the most potent evil action you could take in a computer game.

I guess this is what evolving with the times looks like. A serviceable game that is unable to commit to your choices nor even questions you as to why you took them. Devoid of nuance similar to anything approaching the Kreia character from Kotor 2: a half-finished game that was rushed out to meet demand.

Granted I'll be playing through it when my rig is upgraded, but damn if some of the things I've heard are disheartening given the writing on the wall from Pillars 2.

• Agree
Reactions: Kyria the Great

Vault Boy

Corporate Mascot of Vault-Tec.
kiwifarms.net
So, I found out that Parvati's quest randomly failed on me, stating that she died. Problem is, she can't die since I'm playing on hard, and she was still available as a companion. There's about a few hours between my saves, and I'm not assed enough to redo all that time. Oh, and I guess this means I'll get her death slide at the ending, so that's cool.

Sure, this sort of thing can happen with a Bethesda game, but those are huge and have tons of different systems running simultaneously, while running on an engine in need of overhauls. This game's much smaller, has much fewer systems to track, and is running on one of the most reliable engines on the market, so what's the excuse here?

Again, not trying to bust this game's balls or piss all over Obsidian, but I'll keep pointing this shit out as long as people keep trying to prop this up as something Bethesda should be "scared" of. It's an alright game for the most part (I'll still take Fallout 3, NV, and 4 over it any day of the week), but holy god is it overrated.

HeyYou

seriousposter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So, the pacing kinda went to shit on Monarch.

Don't get me wrong, I was going to do the quests for Sanjar and the Iconoclasts anyway since I want to complete as much as I can, but why is it part of the main quest? Them "hogging the comms" is such a ridiculous excuse to delay getting the chemicals. Is the game so short that they're already resorting to padding?

The more I play, the more I suspect much of the praise for it is mainly people wanting to swipe at Bethesda. Just a hunch...
It definitely seems to be that way. Bethesda has their heads up their asses and are consistently fucking up, but you don't need to make a decent Obsidian game into a legendary one just so you can get a jab in at Bethesda. And all the YouTube videos regarding this game are doing exactly that, they all have titles like "Here's what Bethesda needs to learn from Outer Worlds" and shit. I think it was a mistake for Obsidian to market this as a true successor to Fallout New Vegas (and the older Fallouts in general), especially considering that Chris Avellone, JE Sawyer and John Gonzalez didn't even work on this game.

Again, not trying to bust this game's balls or piss all over Obsidian, but I'll keep pointing this shit out as long as people keep trying to prop this up as something Bethesda should be "scared" of. It's an alright game for the most part (I'll still take Fallout 3, NV, and 4 over it any day of the week), but holy god is it overrated.
You are being unduly harsh on Obsidian, though. Bethesda released Fallout 76, one of the buggiest piece of shit games in the last 10 years, and pissed off tons of people with the Creation Club and then Fallout 1st, and they deserve more mockery over that than Obsidian releasing a couple mediocre games. I hope the better funding of Obsidian helps them out, because they do have the ability to scope out some good talent.

Last edited:

Pargon

He don't
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You are being unduly harsh on Obsidian, though. Bethesda released Fallout 76, one of the buggiest piece of shit games in the last 10 years, and pissed off tons of people with the Creation Club and then Fallout 1st, and they deserve more mockery over that than Obsidian releasing a couple mediocre games. I hope the better funding of Obsidian helps them out, because they do have the ability to scope out some good talent.
Personally I'd have been willing to cut them more slack if all the media surrounding the game hadn't been the developers slapping their dick down on the table for a "HEH LETS SEE WHO CAN MAKE A REAL RPG" measuring contest.

The problem with hype is that people remember very easily when you don't live up to it, especially when it's coming from your own mouth.

Vault Boy

kiwifarms.net
Personally I'd have been willing to cut them more slack if all the media surrounding the game hadn't been the developers slapping their dick down on the table for a "HEH LETS SEE WHO CAN MAKE A REAL RPG" measuring contest.

The problem with hype is that people remember very easily when you don't live up to it, especially when it's coming from your own mouth.
Not to mention that people are comparing the game to Fallout 76 instead of any other Bethesda game. Congrats, Obsidian made a better game than their lowest point since TES Adventures: Redguard, truly a huge accomplishment that makes this game the best RPG since New Vegas. Have standards fallen so low that this has become the bar to compare Obsidian and Bethesda?

I sincerely hope Obsidian listens to the actual criticisms instead of the people blowing sunshine up their ass (sort of possible since the developers seem like a humble bunch), because they really need to step it up for TOW2 if they want to become genuine competition for Starfield.

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So I was in a chat last night and one of the buddies was playing this game as we talked; he started off liking it, but then he got more and more sad and a bit angry the longer he played as the game stopped caring and cheaped out.

He went from wanting to give it like a 7-6 to a 5-4 by the end of the night. He was uncertain for a while if he'd rather play Fallout 76 over it, because at least with this game you could see the nucleus of an amazing game in this one, which made playing it for him hurt all the harder.

HeyYou

seriousposter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Not to mention that people are comparing the game to Fallout 76 instead of any other Bethesda game. Congrats, Obsidian made a better game than their lowest point since TES Adventures: Redguard, truly a huge accomplishment that makes this game the best RPG since New Vegas. Have standards fallen so low that this has become the bar to compare Obsidian and Bethesda?
They're both the most recent games of their respective studios, why wouldn't they be fair to compare? You can't say that they have to compare it to Morrowind any more than you can use Baldur's Gate 2 to say that BioWare is currently better than Obsidian.

• Agree
Reactions: Dr. Geronimo

Vault Boy

kiwifarms.net
They're both the most recent games of their respective studios, why wouldn't they be fair to compare? You can't say that they have to compare it to Morrowind any more than you can use Baldur's Gate 2 to say that BioWare is currently better than Obsidian.
I'm saying that declaring victory is a bit premature since 76 is not a typical Bethesda game (talking gameplay loop and structure here, not bugginess), hell I'd argue that Fallout 4 makes for a better comparison since it's a single player game. If one were to view 76 as a failed experiment or as a cheap cashgrab, it can be easy to argue that Starfield would be a better judge of quality since it will have much more going for it than 76 ever did.

Seriously, making a better game than 76 is not the huge accomplishment people are making it out to be, it's something expected of the average developer. If Obsidian wants to really impress me, I want to see how they'd fair against a proper Bethesda game, not some shitstorm made by the B team.

Julias_Seizure

Lord of the shitpost
kiwifarms.net
Spoilers but idk how to tag them

It starts off really good but it kinda goes downhill once you get to monarch. The power plant quest actually was a pretty hard decision but then you get to monarch and it feels really forced. The iconoclasts were kind of out of place because the corporation on that planet really wasnt that unreasonable but they want to go in and shoot up stellar bay without even attempting to negotiate. Theres no real reason to side with them unless you just want to cause chaos for the sake of it

My main issue with it is that they advertised it as if its super open ended and that you could do the quests however you want and get all sorts of different outcomes but you only really get a couple choices for each that are very clearly spelled out for you with very few chances to really think outside the box with how you do them

Pargon

He don't
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Shitshow on GameFAQs.
Fuck me but that personal quest was annoying. Started off a little sweet but the "joke" being that you're traipsing all over God's creation to play nonsexy matchmaker with a grand total of one chance to tell her, "what the fuck bitch this is ridiculous" is no payoff at all. The fact that you can't throw up your hands and go nope, not doing any more of this bullshit and have the quest just end right there is a missed opportunity.

Blowing Junlei's brains out right in front of Parvati on their date was somewhat of a consolation, as was her reaction to it :heart-full:

HeyYou

seriousposter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm saying that declaring victory is a bit premature since 76 is not a typical Bethesda game (talking gameplay loop and structure here, not bugginess), hell I'd argue that Fallout 4 makes for a better comparison since it's a single player game. If one were to view 76 as a failed experiment or as a cheap cashgrab, it can be easy to argue that Starfield would be a better judge of quality since it will have much more going for it than 76 ever did.

Seriously, making a better game than 76 is not the huge accomplishment people are making it out to be, it's something expected of the average developer. If Obsidian wants to really impress me, I want to see how they'd fair against a proper Bethesda game, not some shitstorm made by the B team.
Bethesda put their name on Fallout 76, poured tons of money and resources into it, and said that despite being different, it's a full Fallout game. It doesn't just not count, especially considering Bethesda's main releases are often different from each other when it comes to gameplay systems. Andromeda was a B-team game too but people still rightfully consider it a Bioware game. But even if you don't consider Fallout 76 an acceptable comparison, it does has a higher user metacritic score than Fallout 4 currently.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: vertexwindi

Tor Lugosi

kiwifarms.net
Parvati's quest was pretty bad. Not only is it a series of fetch quests spread throughout the entire game's length but:
A) It doesn't expand her character or reveal anything new about her, at least nothing that couldn't have been shown via a single conversation about how she started dating Junlei after meeting on the Groundbreaker.
B) It doesn't tie into any of the themes of the game or really anything else to do with the rest of the game or it's plot.
C) It further sticks out because beyond one or two other things, Parvati's asexuality is just about all the sexuality there is in the game. There's no kids, no families, no characters try to seduce you to do what they want, and seduction is never an option for a quest.

Dr. Geronimo

Echo chambers are bad for your health.
kiwifarms.net
C) It further sticks out because beyond one or two other things, Parvati's asexuality is just about all the sexuality there is in the game. There's no kids, no families, no characters try to seduce you to do what they want, and seduction is never an option for a quest.
Welcome to woke game design. They've put themselves in such a deep hole in regards to sexuality that they know they'll offend someone however they write, so they'd rather not talk about sexual stuff at all.

What you're left with is a sterile shell, with such little sexual energy that you'd think that these people took opiods before fucking.

Pargon

He don't
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Parvati's quest was pretty bad. Not only is it a series of fetch quests spread throughout the entire game's length but:
A) It doesn't expand her character or reveal anything new about her, at least nothing that couldn't have been shown via a single conversation about how she started dating Junlei after meeting on the Groundbreaker.
B) It doesn't tie into any of the themes of the game or really anything else to do with the rest of the game or it's plot.
Here's a thing: I haven't played every RPG out there and my memory is pretty crap but I honestly can't remember an instance in which I had a chance to do a quest whose goal was to get one of my party members laid.

With one tweak and a bit of editing they could have changed something bloodless and tedious into a little side story that isn't seen in every fluff fanfiction ever written. But I guess that would've made Parvati's character stray too close to being a brownfaced Kaylee, or wouldn't have satisfied the Representation Department's requirements, or some other horseshit.

vertexwindi

Diddy in space, even though he's not
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Here's a thing: I haven't played every RPG out there and my memory is pretty crap but I honestly can't remember an instance in which I had a chance to do a quest whose goal was to get one of my party members laid.
No but now I'm writing that down.

• Winner
Reactions: Adamska and Pargon
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino