The Outer Worlds - Obsidian's new game, like Borderlands meets Fallout: New Vegas

• Order for the new server will be going in ASAP. Performance will be rocky until then (rip).

SiccDicc

The Defenestrator
kiwifarms.net
Has Obsidian even made a good game since FNV? Outer Worlds, both POE games and Tyranny were average.
Not really, no.

Their narrative skills have gone downhill too since Avellone left - and whatever godsend of contractors they had for New Vegas - not that Pillars was anything special, but I can only imagine how much worse it would have been without Avellone where we likely would have ended up with those backer backgrounds from the first town fucking everywhere or even J. Soyer making things worse -- he's good from a mechanical standpoint but not literary, at least from my recollection. I don't understand why they would hire the Senior Game Designer of WildStar as a co-writer for Outer Worlds, but the entire industry is trash like that; hire someone from a failed project? Sounds like a great idea, I know them personally, I'm sure they'll do fine.

Obsidian has been running on fumes forever, but they killed the passion of anyone that was actually good that worked there. Which is why I find Outer Worlds to be so hypocritical of them given they're the bumbling morons on the corporate side. I dunno, maybe they were being self aware for once. Odd way of showing it, though.

• Agree
Reactions: Sir Wesley Tailpipe

Tor Lugosi

kiwifarms.net
Sawyer's a huge history autist, so as far writing goes he's great at stuff like world building and working on more grounded, drier stuff like New Vegas (which he was both lead designer and direct of, and he wrote some good characters for it). Putting him in charge of a fantasy game like Deadfire was a colossal mistake, which I think even he realizes now (iirc, he recently talked about how he would avoid working on Pillars 3 since he clearly has no idea what players want out of a story for that type of game).

• Informative
Reactions: SiccDicc

CancerGoat

Toothpaste crusher
kiwifarms.net
Ever since the game came out it doesn't seem like anyone cares for it, the only reason why i was interested in it was because fallout new vegas.

That's almost everyone's reason for being interested in this game but the game itself feels so bland. Lowkey wished they used their time just remaster new vegas instead.

Vault Boy

Corporate Mascot of Vault-Tec.
kiwifarms.net
Ever since the game came out it doesn't seem like anyone cares for it, the only reason why i was interested in it was because fallout new vegas.

That's almost everyone's reason for being interested in this game but the game itself feels so bland. Lowkey wished they used their time just remaster new vegas instead.
Amazing, even with the recent shitstorms surrounding Fallout 76, people lost interest in this game.

It's almost like it was overhyped or something, that's what happens when people inhale too much fumes from a dumpster fire.

I've said it many times already, the game doesn't hold a candle to any other Bethesda game. Obsidian needs to step it up.

Slimy Time

Rape Face #5, I think...
kiwifarms.net
Amazing, even with the recent shitstorms surrounding Fallout 76, people lost interest in this game.

It's almost like it was overhyped or something, that's what happens when people inhale too much fumes from a dumpster fire.

I've said it many times already, the game doesn't hold a candle to any other Bethesda game. Obsidian needs to step it up.
No joke. Decided to play some vidya yesterday. Do I try to 100% Death Stranding or do I role a character for The Outer Worlds? Get to title screen of Tow and... nope. Not doing it. I would rather do endless delivery missions in a finished Death Stranding than play the game again with a different build or playstyle. It was that unfun the first time around.

Vault Boy

Corporate Mascot of Vault-Tec.
kiwifarms.net
No joke. Decided to play some vidya yesterday. Do I try to 100% Death Stranding or do I role a character for The Outer Worlds? Get to title screen of Tow and... nope. Not doing it. I would rather do endless delivery missions in a finished Death Stranding than play the game again with a different build or playstyle. It was that unfun the first time around.
Yeah, I think I was about halfway through Monarch when I stopped playing, and that's supposed to be the best part of it.

I'll eventually come back to finish it, but I'm not chomping at the bit for it. It's such a mediocre game that it's not funny.

• Agree
Reactions: CancerGoat

Slimy Time

Rape Face #5, I think...
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, I think I was about halfway through Monarch when I stopped playing, and that's supposed to be the best part of it.

I'll eventually come back to finish it, but I'm not chomping at the bit for it. It's such a mediocre game that it's not funny.
Monarch was when I just killed everyone to get through the game as fast as possible. I tried rolling a sniper character a month ago and binned it after leaving the first planet. I have more fun playing FO4 from the *pop* from shooting or using abilities, or endlessly doing delivery missions/exploration in Death Stranding by limiting options post game (no exoskeletons, must wear all armour pieces, must do express delivery, must pick up all lost cargo I see etc) Actually thinking of going lethal with one MULE camp because I have been denied that all game.

Reactions: Vault Boy

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net

I would suggest that Fallout and Outer Worlds are drastically different games.

Fallout 4 felt like a really half-assed but full game - there were a lot of locations, stuff to do, and so on. It was Bethesda Buggy, the writing was awful, it wasn't remarkable in any way but I finished it and didn't 100% hate it.

Outer Worlds feels like a much tighter but incomplete game. There isn't (AFAIK) any Bethesda levels of jank, but there just isn't much there. The characters are all very flat and the game gets much smaller the more you actually play it (the world map being 50% unused, the enemies being generic, no real crafting or economy, small plot).

I think, even as much as I don't like it, Outer Worlds is "pound for pound" a better game than Fallout 4 - I just don't think there's enough "game" there for anyone to give a shit.

EDIT - Also Fallout 4 was released ~5 years ago.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Vault Boy
Tags
None