The Outer Worlds - Obsidian's new game, like Borderlands meets Fallout: New Vegas

• Apologies for the site issues. The server's shipment was delayed. I'll ask again about it and if they can't provide it I'll source another.

Iceland Heavy

kiwifarms.net
I'll be keeping an eye on it but I'm not going to get too excited. The wacky humor isn't really my thing and as other have pointed out, modern Obsidian isn't quite the same as the Obsidian that made New Vegas so the whole 'from the developers of New Vegas!' reeks of when movies will advertise themselves as being from the producers that made that one movie everyone liked!

Oddjob OTP

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I want it to be good but I'm skeptical. The trailer looks like all the NPC models and animation are bullshots.

What really gets my noggin jogging is asking where they got the money to make the jump from isometric CRPGs to some 3D sandbox-looking RPG. Yes, they recently got bought out by MS but that was like a month ago. I was under the impression that Tyranny and PoE2 failed to meet sale expectations and that they were in fairly dire financial straits. And is the mysterious source of cash related to why a company now owned by Microsoft just now announced a game that is coming to the PS4 as well as the Xbone and PC?

Last edited:
  • Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: mrdk_04

Kamiii

Aaron Rodgers is a fag
kiwifarms.net
I bet this will have features that Bethesda never let Obsidian do.

"creative differences"

Thats why New Vegas is the best fallout (Not including 1 and 2).

Zaragoza

Love Saw It
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Anyone else hope Billy West gets a voice role in this game? I'm just waiting to hear a character sound like Zoidberg.

Microsoft is about to buy Obsidian, so it will either be a Xbox One exclusive, or released only on Games for Windows.
Fortunately even still under Microsoft, it's coming to Steam. Here's hoping MS eventually releases the Master Chief Collection to Steam. :optimistic:

Done

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Looks like a decent game tbh, I think the humor will probably either make it or break it.

I want it to be good but I'm skeptical. The trailer looks like all the NPC models and animation are bullshots.

What really gets my noggin jogging is asking where they got the money to make the jump from isometric CRPGs to some 3D sandbox-looking RPG. Yes, they recently got bought out by MS but that was like a month ago. I was under the impression that Tyranny and PoE2 failed to meet sale expectations and that they were in fairly dire financial straits. And is the mysterious source of cash related to why a company now owned by Microsoft just now announced a game that is coming to the PS4 as well as the Xbone and PC?
They got a different publisher yo.

RE: the Microsoft question, there are two possiblities in my mind:

1) This game was already in the works before the Microsoft deal happened. In which case, don't rely on the idea that they will get supported for very long.
2) Microsoft is allowing them to be both a 3rd party and 1st party developer. (very :optimistic:, but I am struggling here ok)

Oddjob OTP

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They got a different publisher yo.
Yeah, but that would imply that apparently Take-Two just gave them so much money that they were able to go from making isometric CRPGs to making 3D RPGs in spite of having just released two somewhat financially underwhelming games and from all accounts while Obsidian is under pretty shoddy management and the deal itself ended up without them owning a majority of the company. It seems bizarre if the money was just from Take-Two but it's also possible that Obsidian was just wildly overestimating PoE 2 and Tyranny's return and they were actually pretty profitable. Or that I have a faulty memory and am making up stuff about their sales and sales expectations.

mrdk_04

In semi-autist hell.
kiwifarms.net
Either this or Cyberpunk 2077, it's looking pretty good for futuristic games in 2019.
Here's hoping Outer Worlds is a good game.

Those digs at Bethesda are well timed, too.

(Yeah, you can rate me :optimistic: for thinking Cyberpunk will be released that soon.)

Last edited:

BALLZ-BROKEN

double dippin' DHS
kiwifarms.net
The thing is, if Outer Worlds is just OK, it's going to eat Starfield's lunch. As Gerald Celente says, "Past events predict future trends". So I'm going to bet Starfield, will be at best, underwhelming which'll make Obsidian look like fuckin' heros, again!

And if Outer Worlds is an amazing experience that totally redefines what a first person RPG can be, well Todd and Pete will be crying in the corner with their pricks in hand, again!

Can you immediately shoot the wacky scientist guy?
I don't know, but you can turn him into the planetary government for waking you out of your cryo sleep.

NotoriousD

Russian Birthday Bot
kiwifarms.net
I'm being cautiously optimistic here, but it's Obsidian, and I am a New Vegas fanboy, so I can't help but be a bit hyped. It looks a BIT too bright and colorful imo, but then again that will just take getting used to. I just hope there's plenty of crafting and cooking like in NV. Gave me real incentive to hoard everything and let my kleptomania run wild.

Ponderous Pillock

Welcome to Triple T, Tards, Troons and Trolls!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, but that would imply that apparently Take-Two just gave them so much money that they were able to go from making isometric CRPGs to making 3D RPGs in spite of having just released two somewhat financially underwhelming games and from all accounts while Obsidian is under pretty shoddy management and the deal itself ended up without them owning a majority of the company. It seems bizarre if the money was just from Take-Two but it's also possible that Obsidian was just wildly overestimating PoE 2 and Tyranny's return and they were actually pretty profitable. Or that I have a faulty memory and am making up stuff about their sales and sales expectations.
I can smell they've done a lot of cost saving in the initial points here and there. Which likely unlocked support from PD.

They're using the Unreal 4 Engine, for a start meaning that sinking money into either developing an engine or paying an eye watering license fee is gone, they just have to give Epic their 5% cut on the end sales profits.

Take Two's not exactly short on cash, all things considered (and moreso now RDR2's out) unlike most other major publishing houses Private Division exists solely to push small and medium studio games and give them the kind of support (and risk) they need, with more conventional funding than Fig, or crowdfunding available to deliver those slightly bigger projects.

There's probably some cavets attached which means a lot of shepherding is likely going on by PD. Avelone's being consulted (tbh, his best spot, letting him write non stop leads to Lonesome Road's nonsensical philosophical screed) which means anything dumb should pan out quite nice.

PD's also playing a blinder with their advertising on the teaser, Obsidian is known by a lot of fans hardcore or casual for making the best Fallout Game in modern times (the company degrading since then isn't totally known) but putting them back "on track" with something that feels a bit more in tune with the soul of the studio's a good shot.

Plus, like the advertisement for Cities Skylines, it's the right kind of shot across the bows that people like to see.

Ginger Piglet

Fictional Manhunt Survivor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I might get this actually. It might be a last hurrah for them before they're swallowed by the "AAA" machine and Pillars 3 requires you to pay to do half the quests and you can buy extra abilities for your companions via loot boxes.

SiccDicc

The Defenestrator
kiwifarms.net
That's a bad thing. Sawyer was the last of the real New Vegas people.
Not necessarily, he's also the one that pulled that limerick that offended people. If you mean from a design standpoint, then yeah it'll probably be bad then, he's good as a designer.

Your Weird Fetish

Intersectional fetishist
kiwifarms.net
Not necessarily, he's also the one that pulled that limerick that offended people. If you mean from a design standpoint, then yeah it'll probably be bad then, he's good as a designer.
At least it was replaced with a limerick about people being too sensitive.

Tags
None