The Outer Worlds - Obsidian's new game, like Borderlands meets Fallout: New Vegas

• I am killing the Proving Grounds board in a week, unless someone has an idea to make it work. (Thread) (Update 1)

xr95

pEoPlE aRe DyInG!
kiwifarms.net
More nuanced than I expected. Don't get me wrong, I know corporations would love to get away with shit like this, but I didn't figure they had anyone at Obsidian that knew nuance anymore.

Especially since one of the writers was senior game designer on WildStar. My opinion is changing some... is the Pass worth it on its own or nah?
If you like Microsoft exclusives, then sure Game Pass is worth it.

Screw Danlon

Bifurcated White Guy
kiwifarms.net
It's a totally fine game. The combat feels good, especially when damage values are modded up across the board. Joseph Anderson has a video where he examines the core gameplay loop of go shoot monsters somewhere, loot all the valuables, use the loot to enhance your gear, and repeat. And that's a perfectly entertaining loop for killing a few hours. And I love building a robot army to form the supply lines of my new dieselpunk empire.

The problem with the game is that the roleplaying aspects are pretty well neutered. Your conversations with everybody are completely pointless, you only rarely have memorable character moments, and most importantly, I can't give a fuck about the baby I'm supposed to be scouring the wasteland to find. You're left with a fun exploration and combat engine, but a poor use of the Fallout branding.
Ok, maybe I never cared about that because I played as a Toshiro Mifune who had to leave Japan because of the Chinese war, so all I ever did was roll into town and Seven Samurai everything.

@SiccDicc I think Game Pass is a pretty good deal, but I tend to be a game sampler rather than a game beater. Library is decent, but most of it is stuff that’s already been discounted so if you tend to buy games you like fairly quickly, it might be worth less. I personally found a half dozen games on there, which is worth a few months of subscription to buy, ymmv.

Otis Boi

plushy Cow man extraordinaire
kiwifarms.net
If you're playing with Game Pass, UWP is weird like that.
I figured out what the issue was. It was some wonky chromatic aberration that was causing it. It seems like there is a weird depth of field buffer added to it could be an bug or a really shit design choice. Once i turned that off the game looks 100% cleaner.

My opinion is changing some... is the Pass worth it on its own or nah?
I say game pass is worth it espically if they are still running that 1$ deal cant really beat that. Also I think steam will get the full release in a year if you want to hold out for that.

SiccDicc

See you next fall...
kiwifarms.net
I forgot to ask, how immature is the humor or writing in the game? Like tumblr tier, Saturday morning cartoon, Rick and Morty, Adult Swim, Adult Swim back when it was good, etc?

Because that initial trailer still has me thinking WildStar or Nu-Marvel kind of humor, like adults trying to be kids stuff.

Krokodil Overdose

[|][||][||][|_]
kiwifarms.net
FFS am I the only person in the world who actually liked Fallout 4?
I enjoyed it, but it's just that: enjoyable. OK, not great. The graphics bump from the previous games was a bit weird (the vault suits now look spray-painted on, where as in previous games they look like actual clothing for example) but overall, it's a 6.5/10, easy. The roleplaying aspects are neutered, unfortunately, but at least there's a tradeoff in the form of the crafting system, which I enjoy the hell out of. In addition to the slew of weapon mods, the fact that they unified the clusterfuck that was crafting in NV into a single system made it actually fun to use, as opposed to spending god knows how long digging through your inventory trying to find the right pieces.

Reactions: Ineedahero

Vault Boy

Corporate Mascot of Vault-Tec.
kiwifarms.net
More nuanced than I expected. Don't get me wrong, I know corporations would love to get away with shit like this, but I didn't figure they had anyone at Obsidian that knew nuance anymore.

Especially since one of the writers was senior game designer on WildStar. My opinion is changing some... is the Pass worth it on its own or nah?
GamePass in general is a great deal. You'll get access to all sorts of different games, plus all current and future Microsoft exclusive games will be available day 1 and will never leave the service (unless there's licensing bullshit like in the Forza games, but the newer ones will likely make the older ones less relevant).

So yeah, pull the trigger. I think there's even a deal going on with getting a few months for only $1 or something.

• Agree
Reactions: Bush did USS Maine

Screw Danlon

Bifurcated White Guy
kiwifarms.net
Some early thoughts - it must be 2019, because I can make a lady with a beard.

I think it’s really interesting that the opening cutscene feels like a direct challenge to Fallout 4 - open with you staring through a porthole as you defrost due to a criminal opening your cryo pod.

...saltuna is going to be Soylent Green, isn’t it?

Vault Boy

kiwifarms.net
Some early thoughts - it must be 2019, because I can make a lady with a beard.

I think it’s really interesting that the opening cutscene feels like a direct challenge to Fallout 4 - open with you staring through a porthole as you defrost due to a criminal opening your cryo pod.

...saltuna is going to be Soylent Green, isn’t it?
Nope, it's just filled with all sorts of garbage like sand and wild mushrooms to make up for the shortage of actual saltunas (they're native to the planet that the corporations have abandoned). Take a wild guess why people in Edgewater are always getting sick.

Free tip for you guys, find the Primal Nest in the northern areas of the Emerald Vale. You'll find an excellent unique weapon.

Ineedahero

kiwifarms.net
not sure how kiwies think of piracy, but i decided to give myself a free copy to see if i liked it. sadly, codex version seems not too work and refuse to install.
I had a problem like that with another codex game the other day, I got it to work by running a registry cleaner and then running the installer in xp compatibility mode. It might work?

Otherwise put me down on the 'game pass is neat' team, although my perspective is a little screwy since I got it for $10 for ten month's worth courtesy of that now finished deal for xbox live subscribers (it was about time forgetting to cancel a subscription paid off for me). I see it as sort of like demoing - I would be fucking fuming if I had paid full price for state of decay 2 or crackdown 3, so I am glad the game pass gave me a chance to check them out. Plus I got to play ape out and gonner, I never would have tried them if they weren't on game pass but they are great fun.

Screw Danlon

Bifurcated White Guy
kiwifarms.net
I can't be the one who sees the resemblance the Vale's enemies have to Borderlands' psychos, bullmongs, skags, loaders and rakks? You even have a lesbian mechanic.
So far, the whole bloody thing is just constant references, to a point that it’s starting to get a little irritating, especially with the ‘quirky’ tone - feels like I’m playing a game written by Seth McFarlane. The plasma sword is direct from Halo, your ship’s interior is the Serenity, the AI makes you do a Dread Pirate Roberts, you start the game with your house (I mean pod) landing on the witch (I mean, smuggler), and the first quest is called Stranger in a Strange Land. I know that it’s by the guys who did Fallout 2, so it makes some sense, but I don’t really think Fallout 2 holds up because of this exact same thing, so I’d hoped they might have grown out of it.

But yeah, the Borderlands thing is especially noticable if you die to the marauders. High-pitched voice starts screaming about eating you as you fade to black, and it sounds like a large guy trying to do the midget shrieky voice.

Cod of War

kiwifarms.net
So far, the whole bloody thing is just constant references, to a point that it’s starting to get a little irritating, especially with the ‘quirky’ tone - feels like I’m playing a game written by Seth McFarlane. The plasma sword is direct from Halo, your ship’s interior is the Serenity, the AI makes you do a Dread Pirate Roberts, you start the game with your house (I mean pod) landing on the witch (I mean, smuggler), and the first quest is called Stranger in a Strange Land. I know that it’s by the guys who did Fallout 2, so it makes some sense, but I don’t really think Fallout 2 holds up because of this exact same thing, so I’d hoped they might have grown out of it.

But yeah, the Borderlands thing is especially noticable if you die to the marauders. High-pitched voice starts screaming about eating you as you fade to black, and it sounds like a large guy trying to do the midget shrieky voice.
Can't believe I didn't notice half of that. I was getting an Ebon Hawk vibes, there's even a offline robot in storage. Hadn't annoyed me yet but I guess it's only a matter of time.

killuminati

soap dropped, nigga
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
not sure how kiwies think of piracy, but i decided to give myself a free copy to see if i liked it. sadly, codex version seems not too work and refuse to install.
I'm using the codex version as well, from skidrowreloaded. It installed and runs just fine for me. Your download might have fucked up at some point.

The only complaint I have so far is that all of the characters look like soy-filled nightmares. It took me like 30 minutes to find a randomized character that appeared to have an ounce testosterone.

Problem is, when you press randomize it randomizes your fucking gender as well. Since you can't customize your body, the only way to tell if you're male or female is by reopening the gender selection option (that's conveniently separated from the appearance options).

The first hour of the game I'm thinking my character is a male until I step off an elevator and my new companion goes bitch "excuse me ma'am, can we talk?".

Then I take off my armor and I see whatever the fuck this is supposed to be:
thisniggarighthere.png

If you're going to make it so men and women can look the same why the fuck would you randomize the gender a person selected? If you're going to pull some shit like this at least let a nigga choose his pronouns. I've literally never had this problem with any other RPG.

So now I'm gonna have to restart the game because my character has a pussy I never fucking wanted. I'm so glad I pirated this shit.

Sinners Sandwich

Eid Htrad Redav Eid !
kiwifarms.net
I'm using the codex version as well, from skidrowreloaded. It installed and runs just fine for me. Your download might have fucked up at some point.

The only complaint I have so far is that all of the characters look like soy-filled nightmares. It took me like 30 minutes to find a randomized character that appeared to have an ounce testosterone.

Problem is, when you press randomize it randomizes your fucking gender as well. Since you can't customize your body, the only way to tell if you're male or female is by reopening the gender selection option (that's conveniently separated from the appearance options).

The first hour of the game I'm thinking my character is a male until I step off an elevator and my new companion goes bitch "excuse me ma'am, can we talk?".

View attachment 985888
If you're going to make it so men and women can look the same why the fuck would you randomize the gender a person selected? If you're going to pull some shit like this at least let a nigga choose his pronouns. I've literally never had this problem with any other RPG.

So now I'm gonna have to restart the game because my character has a pussy I never fucking wanted. I'm so glad I pirated this shit.
LOL this is fucking
:story:

but also fucking

:stress:

Vault Boy

kiwifarms.net

View attachment 985888

I'm not sure if ResetERA would love this game, or denounce it as "problematic". Eh, probably the latter, the joyless fucks...

But outside of... that, I haven't seen anything referring to modern politics, so I guess the writers had some restraint.

• Agree
Reactions: MightyBiteySnake

MightyBiteySnake

DEPRESSED SNAKE DEPRESSED SNAKE
kiwifarms.net
So far im enjoying the game pretty well.

Pretty much all the problems I have could probably be modded out.

ETA: I kinda wish there was a "skinny-fat" slider for body types to pick from. I did like that Ulysses' braids were a hair option

Last edited:

xr95

pEoPlE aRe DyInG!
kiwifarms.net
I forgot to ask, how immature is the humor or writing in the game? Like tumblr tier, Saturday morning cartoon, Rick and Morty, Adult Swim, Adult Swim back when it was good, etc?

Because that initial trailer still has me thinking WildStar or Nu-Marvel kind of humor, like adults trying to be kids stuff.
The writing seems to be on point. There's a line I like where you pick up a book for a quest line and a Vicar was 'I can't read fucking French! Who still reads French?'

Slimy Time

When you see the presents under the tree
kiwifarms.net
I'm not sure if ResetERA would love this game, or denounce it as "problematic". Eh, probably the latter, the joyless fucks...

But outside of... that, I haven't seen anything referring to modern politics, so I guess the writers had some restraint.
They emphasized that they wanted the game to have political themes, but not shove a viewpoint down your throat. If they have restraint, then all the better.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino