The Platform Is The Enemy -

So basically you're saying that as long as you insulate a moron from harmful beliefs, they'll end up benign? Keep Lennie away from the rabbits? There's something to be said for that theory. Stupidity can be seen as a function of how easy it is to trick someone, so if there are no tricks there can be no stupid. Or something to that effect.

On the other hand, humans have kind of an immune system when it comes to manipulation. If someone goes their entire lives without being exposed to evil, they'll be unable to identify it. Most genocides were committed by very stupid people who spent their entire lives as unthinking cogs, and they continued to act as unthinking cogs when someone gave them guns and told them to kill. So it might actually be beneficial to let stupid people fester in their stupidity for a while and pull them out before the point of no return. It's hard to say.
No-one is immune to propaganda.

Propaganda is a highly researched field that is constantly evolving with the intent of deceiving people. It's easy to look back on past atrocities and say that people were stupid, but it's easy to look back on many scientific beliefs and say the same thing. People used to believe that the Solar System revolved around the Earth, that disease was spread via foul smelling air (Miasma), that bleeding actually helped people and countless other stupid ideas that were abundant. (Lobotomies are my favourite)

Facebook has offered targeted ads towards people who are liable to believe ridiculous claims, all in the name of the Greater Good that is unregulated capitalism such as allowing advertisers to target "pseudoscience" believers. You can bet your ass that Zuckerbook is tracking and advertising certain groups towards people that fall into certain categories, many of which are either creating propaganda or repeating propaganda of other groups.

The common phrase "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" is bullshit, and exposure to propaganda has the same effect.

Cool Dog

A goodboi denied his Wendy's
kiwifarms.net
Pre-internet, how would you ever come into contact with idpol freaks or qanon cultists? You wouldn't, except maybe in passing. You'd see an idiot being an idiot, think "what an idiot", and forget about it. Now you're forced to watch every idiot on the planet constantly screeching their stupid fucking opinions all the time unless you totally eschew all forms of media. They never leave your consciousness. They were always there, but it's just recently we were made hyper-aware of them.
I consider the entire hippie movement to be a pre-internet cult of freaks, some of the shit you hear happened there and what they believed is qoomer-tier. Same with commie terrorism in the west during that era, specially in europe and here in latam. In a way we're fortunate that idpol wokes are too faggy to use guns, tho antifag seems to be getting there

The internet merely amplifies that, tho I also suspect its making it easier for governments to monitor this shit. Both qoomers and antifags end up serving higher interests, shit like "trust the plan" and getting a bunch of hipsters to burn low income housing in the shit part of town does nothing to the status quo, its not like the german red army assasinating CEOs, that was some serious shit for the establishment

A more serious issue is when those in power think social media is the same than doing polls which is why they take twitter bullshit seriously when many studies show it represents barely over 1% of the public opinion and its super easy to game it

Never Scored

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Pre-internet, how would you ever come into contact with idpol freaks or qanon cultists? You wouldn't, except maybe in passing. You'd see an idiot being an idiot, think "what an idiot", and forget about it. Now you're forced to watch every idiot on the planet constantly screeching their stupid fucking opinions all the time unless you totally eschew all forms of media. They never leave your consciousness. They were always there, but it's just recently we were made hyper-aware of them.
Newspaper classified ads and university bulletin boards.

I'm not even joking.

Every university would have these cork boards where you could pin whatever you want, rooms for rent, personal ads and yes, even an ad for your weird little group of like-minded individuals. There were a least 100 dotting the campus when I was in university.

Newspaper classifieds used to have a personal section were you could submit ads basically looking for whatever you wanted. I remember in my area in the 1990s there used to be a lot of ads put in there by closeted gay men and my friends and I would make fun of them.

The classified ads in the university's student newspaper? Now that's where you saw some really weird shit.

Last edited: