The Ramen thread, instant noodles and the like

Funny Valentine

"Dio Brando" was taken.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I honestly enjoy adding those crispy jalapenos to my ramen along with some mozzarella or gouda, adds to the texture.
1625555773858.png

Haram Exercise

Whatever it takes c'mon
kiwifarms.net
Found this flavour of samyang in China town. I'd never seen it before, so I bought it. It's my new favorite. Tons of flavour, nice amount of heat, just crazy good all around. The powder is a cheese mix which really hold up, and the sauce pack is very tomato-y with basil and parsley.
View attachment 2295884
I picked this up at my local asian grocer yesterday, eating it right now. Damn it's really good. I added a handful of rotisserie chicken and mixed vegetables and a splash of soy sauce.

The Wichita Lion

kiwifarms.net
I keep hoping to find cup noodle curry in the UK but they don't seem to be stocked anywhere, not even asian markets (at least where I live). I had these almost every day when I was in Japan and they are amazing. Literally a mixture of the two greatest things - ramen and Japanese curry.
View attachment 2121404
Also a big fan of the Thai Mama noodles (especially the pork ones). They are super cheap and with a couple of extra ingredients you can make a decent meal of them
Saw these exact cups in my local Walmart today. I take it you would recommend?

Takayuki Yagami

Justice is Blind, and Autistic
kiwifarms.net
Found a bone broth favor sold by nongshim. It costs a little more than usual ramen packs but it's marketed as a premium label. And yeah with two different soup base packets and dried veggies it's actually pretty good. All it needs is a boiled egg and some sliced meats and that... Swirly thing (what not a weeb idk what it's called) and it wouldn't be too different from a real ramen bowl sold in a restaurant
Kamaboko. It’s a processed seafood paste.

Bloitzhole

Well, my boat's got a rusty anchor...
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Seeing lots of love for Nong Shim's Shin Ramyun and I'm certainly a fan as well - their Kimchi flavor is also pretty solid and I recommend it especially if the shin ramyun is slightly too hot for you. I tend to add a dash of fish sauce as well (red boat if you feel like splurging - a bottle lasts a long time).
This is a general recommendation - for soups where you're just using it to accentuate flavor, fish sauce beats soy sauce 9 times out of 10 (a little bit goes a long way. Also adds richness to any italian tomato sauce).

Funny Valentine

"Dio Brando" was taken.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Seeing lots of love for Nong Shim's Shin Ramyun and I'm certainly a fan as well - their Kimchi flavor is also pretty solid and I recommend it especially if the shin ramyun is slightly too hot for you. I tend to add a dash of fish sauce as well (red boat if you feel like splurging - a bottle lasts a long time).
This is a general recommendation - for soups where you're just using it to accentuate flavor, fish sauce beats soy sauce 9 times out of 10 (a little bit goes a long way. Also adds richness to any italian tomato sauce).
I always get their seafood noodle cups whenever I get the chance, but I did try their Kimchi (and even their udon-style Seafood pack and I loved that shit.)

Whatevs

kiwifarms.net
I can recommend all kinds, most others here have mentioned already, the Nongshim Shin Ramyun. My other favorite is the Paldo Premium Jajang black bean noodles, awesome amount of sauce in the package, coats the noodles well and pretty damn tasty, mix in some kimchi and you're set. Also for a second cheaper alternative, Nongshim also makes a black bean noodle line in the US called Chapagetti, no idea why they just don't call it black bean noodles as well here.

Though what I do love making the most is getting some frozen udon noodles, cooking them up, then getting some packs of umami soup base and adding the udon noodles to that with various leftover meat.

Sometimes I won't even use the seasoning package ramen, or use half of it an then cook it up in some low sodium beef stock, really adds to the flavor.

Oh and if anyone is cooking ramen and does not have a Korean noodle pot, you're doing yourself a disservice.

noodlepot.jpg

The water boils pretty fast, you can eat out of it and it's just like the ultimate in easy cooking, lazy cleaning.

Funny Valentine

"Dio Brando" was taken.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I can recommend all kinds, most others here have mentioned already, the Nongshim Shin Ramyun. My other favorite is the Paldo Premium Jajang black bean noodles, awesome amount of sauce in the package, coats the noodles well and pretty damn tasty, mix in some kimchi and you're set. Also for a second cheaper alternative, Nongshim also makes a black bean noodle line in the US called Chapagetti, no idea why they just don't call it black bean noodles as well here.

Though what I do love making the most is getting some frozen udon noodles, cooking them up, then getting some packs of umami soup base and adding the udon noodles to that with various leftover meat.

Sometimes I won't even use the seasoning package ramen, or use half of it an then cook it up in some low sodium beef stock, really adds to the flavor.

Oh and if anyone is cooking ramen and does not have a Korean noodle pot, you're doing yourself a disservice.

View attachment 2336394

The water boils pretty fast, you can eat out of it and it's just like the ultimate in easy cooking, lazy cleaning.
How much do Korean noodle pots cost online?

Whatevs

kiwifarms.net
How much do Korean noodle pots cost online?
Anywhere from 10-25 dollars, usually the more expensive ones is just from them tossing in extra things like silverware like chopsticks, or pot holders etc. Can usually find them cheaper at some Asian markets if you have any nearby. Last time I was in an H-mart it was like 5-9 bucks.

Funny Valentine

"Dio Brando" was taken.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Anywhere from 10-25 dollars, usually the more expensive ones is just from them tossing in extra things like silverware like chopsticks, or pot holders etc. Can usually find them cheaper at some Asian markets if you have any nearby. Last time I was in an H-mart it was like 5-9 bucks.
I don't exactly live near an Asian market but maybe there's some at the Loblaws I live a little ways away from, I don't know why we have two grocery stores in the same town, don't ask.

Mameshiba

Did you know?
kiwifarms.net
I second using a Korean noodle pot, those things are an absolute godsend. Here's a cheap one on Amazon if you don't live near an asian market.

Nongshim is also my go-to brand. I have a lazy miso soup recipe that I like to make when I need a quick meal and I often make red shin ramyun to go with it. Miso ramen is divine and those noodles are just the perfect texture.

Funny Valentine

"Dio Brando" was taken.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I just bought a noodle cup from the Metro! Yeah, my town has like, what, three grocery stores in almost the same area? They're tempura udon, so I hope they're good!

MT Foxtrot

It better be some Mark Twain shit....
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I save those crispy strip things from where I get chinese food, use a bit of soup base, and just cook the noodles with those. Simple and quite satisfying.

Also can second on the Nongshim brand. Good stuff.

Funny Valentine

"Dio Brando" was taken.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Sorry if I frequent the thread a bit too much but has anyone made those 'restaurant style' ramen packs besides me?
1627782314897.png

Last time I bought a pack (it was the Seasfood Tonkotsu flavor), the stench was so overwhelming that I could barely finish it. I almost forgot, the Samyang cheese ramen tasted fucking great. I didn't stir fry it but it still tastes good either way since I'm more of a yakisoba kind of guy.

Genichiro

kiwifarms.net
Finally mustered up the balls to buy this, a whole pack was like 7 bucks at the store I go to so I hope it's worth it.
View attachment 2396109
It is pretty ok.
Slight milky cheesy taste with a nice but short lasting heat level. A half boiled egg may enchance the taste. Bought the 2x version (the red pack with a bomb) and waiting a chance to try.

Add chopped peppers to it to make it better :smug: