The Ramen thread, instant noodles and the like -

soft breathing

i'm a tired piece of shit.
kiwifarms.net
Oh. Ramen. My favorite guilty pleasure food.
:shit-eating:

a424e268-f9e1-4452-933f-56f8c7e0ba35_1.8a31a9910048ab5fad00f0402299968e.jpeg

Samyang or gtfo.
No, seriously, they are a bit more pricey than other ramen but incredibly delicious if you like spicy stuff.
They're also way less salty in taste than most instant ramen I've tried before.
Depending on which one, I might put some more cheese in them, or an egg or tofu/chicken, some veggies... I could write an essay about that.

71Yb3UT8tNL._SX679_.jpg

Indomie are a good all-arounder. You can add eggs, veggies, nothing, cheese, hot sauce, meat.. whatever you want really.
The jumbo-version of those comes with sambal olek hot sauce and boy is it delicious.

Paldo_JJajangmen_Chajang_Instant_Noodles__78740.1532972553.jpg

Those are pretty unknown, I think. Black bean ramen from Paldo.
They're delicious and come with a huge ass sauce pack that actually has pieces of veggie/meat in them.

Dumb Bitch Smoothie

Any time now, faggots.
kiwifarms.net
You plebs

The best thing to do is get one of those rotisserie chicken bois that you can get from your local grocery store yeah? Runs around $5.
Get some fresh cilantro, basil and mint as well. Green onions if you like them, lime, fresh ginger paste, minced garlic, jalapenos if you're into spice. Bean sprouts too. I love them.
Now go get yourself some bouillon powder if you don't have it, some chicken stock, a little bit of cinnamon powder. Hoisin and fish sauce too.

Go home and start a pot on the stove. Put your chicken stock on, add some bouillon powder for flavor. You'll want about six cups total of liquid in the pot. Medium heat. Use your hands or a fork if you're not into it and strip the rotisserie. Drop your chicken chunks in once the broth is heated through but not boiling. Take a few spoonfuls of hoisin sauce and a small few spoonfuls of fish sauce and experiment until you've got a good mix happening. No real need to measure these, it's personal taste.

You will want to measure your cinnamon, 2 teaspoons.
You will want to measure your ginger and garlic. Start with one tablespoon of each but if you've got a preference for your flavor you can adjust where you want.

Let it simmer for a bit and combine.

You'll want to chop your fresh herbs, your green onion, and your jalapeno now and set them aside. Watch your broth and once it's boiling put your noodles in and let them cook. Rice noodles go quickly so you should be keeping an eye on them for doneness. Once they're done kill the heat and bowl it up.

When you've got a bowl set, add your herbs and veg to the bowl according to your preference, same with bean sprouts. Finish with lime squeezed in and eat that bitch. Store what you don't eat but keep the add-ins separate until you need them.

Voila. Great Value brand pho.

You can adjust the recipe however you'd like but that's the base I use. You can make your own stock, pick your own toppings, put hot sauce in. But that shit is great and you can also use ramen as a base if you're feeling adventurous.

• Feels
Reactions: heathercho

I Love Beef

Bell peppers and bee- HEY WAIT A SEC WHERE'S THE B
kiwifarms.net
Aw man, I live in town next to a good ramen place, so I've never looked back for instant. I've made my own too, but it's been ages, but it sounds good to try again soon. Been looking into instant pho though, that stuff is awesome.

Argh My Cigar

You like grilled cheese?
kiwifarms.net
917812A2-0243-4F83-AA82-201F45762328.jpeg

Had some curry rice and pork ramen from this Americanized noodle place where I live.

it was decent. Tried another place down the road from the DMV and it was leagues better. Nice little mom and pop shop owned by a Japanese couple. Pretty comfy.

LavenderLiquor

Meh. Just an egg with a bacon blanket.
kiwifarms.net
I've been super broke recently so I bought a thing of ramen for the first time in years.

Every morning after I had it for dinner, I had diarrhea.

I don't know what it is. I love salty shit so I loved drinking the 'broth' while I ate it. So maybe that was the issue. But I got a 6 pack for a dollar and just gave up after two days cuz it just wasn't worth it anymore.

Guess it's always there if I ever get that broke again.

Shoggoth

kiwifarms.net
I've been super broke recently so I bought a thing of ramen for the first time in years.

Every morning after I had it for dinner, I had diarrhea.

I don't know what it is. I love salty shit so I loved drinking the 'broth' while I ate it. So maybe that was the issue. But I got a 6 pack for a dollar and just gave up after two days cuz it just wasn't worth it anymore.

Guess it's always there if I ever get that broke again.
Is it really cheaper to buy packaged food in burgerland than making your own from base ingredients?

Hatoful Dandy

Minstrel of Sorrow
kiwifarms.net

View attachment 1023901
Samyang or gtfo.
No, seriously, they are a bit more pricey than other ramen but incredibly delicious if you like spicy stuff.
Depending on which one, I might put some more cheese in them, or an egg or tofu/chicken, some veggies... I could write an essay about that.

View attachment 1023902
Indomie are a good all-arounder. You can add eggs, veggies, nothing, cheese, hot sauce, meat.. whatever you want really.
The jumbo-version of those comes with sambal olek hot sauce and boy is it delicious.
Oh I recently discovered Samyang and love them. They're surprisingly spicy but I usually crack an egg into it and add some cheese to balance it out.

heathercho

私の両手を奪ったのはあなたよっ !
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

View attachment 1023901
Samyang or gtfo.

View attachment 1023902

View attachment 1023903
They're delicious and come with a huge ass sauce pack that actually has pieces of veggie/meat in them.
The Paldo one has soy meat in it. Just FYI, not that it makes it any less delicious.
If you can get to a Korean supermarket I highly suggest buying a jar of jjajang (sauce) to make fresh proper Jajangmyeon or Jajangbap (rice). It's much more delicious when making it yourself.

soft breathing

kiwifarms.net
The Paldo one has soy meat in it. Just FYI, not that it makes it any less delicious.
If you can get to a Korean supermarket I highly suggest buying a jar of jjajang (sauce) to make fresh proper Jajangmyeon or Jajangbap (rice). It's much more delicious when making it yourself.
Ah nice, I never checked what 'meat' is in there. Good to know.

I have a jar of that sauce at home (the one from assi with the pale yellow lid). And I fully agree, it's way way better than the packaged Ramen stuff. But often times, laziness just wins. : |

Xerxes IX

Remove Kebab is a meme of peace
kiwifarms.net

View attachment 1023901
Samyang or gtfo.

View attachment 1023902

View attachment 1023903
I just had a pack of the Stew type Samyang noodles yesterday. The flavor of the soup was awesome but I wish it soaked into the noodles more. When I ate the noodles they tasted really plain and bland. Maybe it was just like that in contrast since the broth is so flavorful.

Just a tip for the stir fry spicy noodles: when you stir fry the noodles for 30 seconds after adding the sauce take them off the heat and just use the residual heat of the pan. I kept ruining mine by letting the sauce boil, which produces a horrible bitter aftertaste. I'm not actually sure if it's because I accidebtally boiled the sauce but it did seem to stop tasting like that when I took the noodles off the heat.

soft breathing

kiwifarms.net
I just had a pack of the Stew type Samyang noodles yesterday. The flavor of the soup was awesome but I wish it soaked into the noodles more. When I ate the noodles they tasted really plain and bland. Maybe it was just like that in contrast since the broth is so flavorful.
Did you cook them on the stove or just poured heated up water from the kettle over them?
Actually cooking them until they're soft and really soaked in the soup helps a lot.

If you guys do have the chance to come to Japan, please do! Ramen restaurants awaits you here and some have started accepting credit cards!
I would in a heartbeat! I'm frequenting Asian (mainly Korean) restaurants a lot here. But there's only so many. And you probably can't get the real authentic stuff outside of the respective country.

heathercho

私の両手を奪ったのはあなたよっ !
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Did you cook them on the stove or just poured heated up water from the kettle over them?
Actually cooking them until they're soft and really soaked in the soup helps a lot.

I would in a heartbeat! I'm frequenting Asian (mainly Korean) restaurants a lot here. But there's only so many. And you probably can't get the real authentic stuff outside of the respective country.
You can if you make it at home, it just takes a little bit of work, I guess. One of my favorites to make is a Taiyo no Tomato men styled cheese ramen. That one doesn't take much time to make and it's very satisfying.

Cedric_Eff

No secret, it's the meat. Don't skimp on the meat.
kiwifarms.net
As nice as pack ramen is, I still prefer to buy already made ramen from convenience stores.

Stasi

kiwifarms.net
If you guys do have the chance to come to Japan, please do! Ramen restaurants awaits you here and some have started accepting credit cards!
I like the ones where you buy a ticket from a vending machine. First time I couldn't work it out and ran away in frustration but when you figure it out its pretty quick and convenient.

Also why there always like an hour long waiting line at Ichiran fuck youuu hipsters :'(

Xerxes IX

Remove Kebab is a meme of peace
kiwifarms.net

I cooked them on the stove but I don't think I boiled the broth very much either. Again I was worried about boiling the spicy sauce and causing a gross bitter chemical aftertaste but they mean for you to bring that shit up to a boil so it's dumb of me.

I'm cooking another pack today, hopefully I get that right. I love them, they're just absolutely brutal because the effects of capsaicin on your heat receptors makes it feel like the soup is still boiling hot.

soft breathing

kiwifarms.net
Again I was worried about boiling the spicy sauce and causing a gross bitter chemical aftertaste but they mean for you to bring that shit up to a boil so it's dumb of me.
That never happened to me with Samyang and I've managed to 'overcook' them not only once by simply not paying full attention to the time. Mhhh, soggy slimy noodles.

Good luck with your new pack today! And yes, they ARE brutal, especially the stew type.

bccc11d18d68c1f662b8c48c0f0d729f.jpeg

Not sure if you've ever tried the Tteokbokki ones but imo they're the "worst" Samyang has ever made, pain-wise. Since you spend an eternity chewing the rice cakes and just feel your mouth melt while doing so. It's beautiful, you should try it.

Fatafata

kiwifarms.net
Tteokbokki balduk ramen is the best.
But the actual Tteokbokki buldak rice cake (you know what I mean) you can buy (not ramen) is shit and a waste of money.

I didn't believe it until I tried it recently. But American made shin ramyeon is a crime against humanity. I wanted to punch a wall. If you currently consume the American made stuff do yourself a favor and get the proper Korean made ones. I always thought it was a joke stupid myth koreans had about shin ramyeon in America until I bought a pack of the american made ones

• Feels
Reactions: soft breathing
Tags
None