The Ramen thread, instant noodles and the like -

DuckSucker

kiwifarms.net
Is it really cheaper to buy packaged food in burgerland than making your own from base ingredients?
Its more about "convenience" and access--there are places like college dorms where you might not have a stove or oven. You either ate at the cafeteria or got take out/food that you can microwave. You used a hot plate, and could have an electric kettle, but that shit isnt really easy to make a full meal on. There was a community kitchen in the building where they also had a community tv, pool table, a lounge and the laundry machines and shit, but you dont always want to be cooking your own food out in the community kitchen and have other people around, or to be that one dude who smells the place up and it's kind of embarrassing.
A lot of people move out of the dorms pretty quickly or just already have an apartment, place to rent or stay, roommates, whatever, but there are a lot of people who just live that life and dont think much of it.

Other than that, or just specific scenarios, or people just trying it out--it is about the same price, buying ingredients is cheaper and you get more, but I dont think the average supermarket consumer consideres it to be a big enough price difference per serving or whatever that it's too big of a deal, unless you really are crunched for money.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Shoggoth

L50LasPak

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.
kiwifarms.net
I boil it down until the water is absorbed completely into the noodles, kind of like how the Germans make those egg noodle things, then just eat it like pasta.

Additionally, I once suggested to a buddy that he use boulion cubes because he wanted stronger flavor, and he said they were too hard to crush up. He's full of shit, because while I'm a fragile little weakling who has never stepped into the gym once and I weigh 75 pounds soaking wet; I crushed those two little bastards between paper plates with almost no effort; I just needed a heavy thing for leverage. If you have actual muscles you can probably just do this by turning a meat cleaver sideways.

Also the slightest (must be very slight) dash of Old Bay will improve any of them by ten miles. But you must be very careful, litterally just tap it with one finger.

ShortBusDriver

kiwifarms.net
Ramen is my guilty pleasure, never had it growing up not even sure where I first tried it.

But I like Maruchan, usually the beef flavor, with some fresh broccoli mixed in.

L50LasPak

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.
kiwifarms.net
I also add extra salt on top of the flavor packet and pulverized bullion. Fite me.

(anything solid will dissolve as you boil it, but maybe be careful with table salt as you could reallly dump that shit in and not notice the amount)

Last edited:

Papa Adolfo's Take'n'Bake

It's screamin' good.
kiwifarms.net
March-2015-Monthly-Lotus-Foods-Rice-Ramen-product.jpg

I buy these for the noodles, cook them up, and then add them to stir fry with scallions, onions, peppers and mushrooms. Bretty good for when i feel like being a late night degenerate.

CrystalRoserade

Local Weeb Translator
kiwifarms.net
For cup ramen, I really like chili lime shrimp, spicy chicken, sriracha chicken, regular chicken, and roast chicken. I also like those curry cup noodles. The ones with a lot of veggies in them aren't bad, either.
As for packet, I usually make my chicken ramen either a boiled egg, or peanut butter and some sriracha sauce (and minced onions if feeling feisty). Maybe taco seasoning and cheese if I'm in the mood. All separate topping combos, though.
I've also tried a few Asian ramen packets. I loved the tonkatsu ramen. Though, the nearest Asian market closed down, and now I have to go to an international market I haven't even been to yet, but I know where it is. Nowadays, I only go to the shopping center that the Asian market was in for weed.

Last edited:
Reactions: thejackal

soft breathing

listen closely.
kiwifarms.net
As for packet, I usually make my chicken ramen either a boiled egg, or peanut butter and some sriracha sauce (and minced onions if feeling feisty).
Tell me more about the peanut butter if you don't mind - what ramen are suited for it and how much do you use? Sounds interesting.

IceGray

"Dude, where's the bus?"
kiwifarms.net
I like those mee goreng flavored ones from Indomie, especially if I add an egg and cheese to them.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I was doing some ground beef, bell pepper, and onion. After it was done I took a rectangle of cheap ramen, split it into two thin rectangles, then sat them on top of the food while I had a lid on the pan so they would moisten gently, then after a bit stirred them into the simmering stuff.
Worked out nice.

huckbeine

I'm cute, buy my comic
kiwifarms.net
Brother bought some Jjajang (black bean paste) from the friendly Korean grocery, and I made some Jjajangmyun.

sauteed some minced meat, diced carrots, cucumber, zucchini, sweet corn, then put in the paste, added some water, and a little flour to thicken the sauce and a little bit of sugar.

I used spaghetti noodles instead of udon, since its cheaper. left over sauce was made into Jjajangbap by pouring over some fried pork and egg over rice.

WhimsicalTrolli

kiwifarms.net
A preference of my ramen is salt and pepper before and after heating it up in the microwave and a pinch of Fried chicken seasoning for my chicken ramen. Call it the basketball American dunk🏀🍜

Reactions: thejackal

Damn Near

It's lovely to be here, thank you for having me
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
samyang stir-fried noodle hot spicy chicken flavor.jpg

I had some of these Korean Samyang super spicy ramen noodles one night, and the next morning during my commute, I had to take an emergency shit in a subway station toilet while a bum washed his dick and balls in the sink. Not recommended.

soft breathing

listen closely.
kiwifarms.net
I bought some fish cake for Tteokbokki - and of course too much of it.

Did any of you ever add fish cake to ramen? Any recommendations?

Argh My Cigar

Knoxville World's Fair 1983
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Went back to that new ramen place. I’m determined to try every bowl on the menu.

9428D769-422F-402D-A136-55AAC3AA9E0F.jpeg

Shoyu Ramen, pretty good.
23E0C7E3-1236-4E3F-9AF3-183DDE15F9B6.jpeg

Curry Ramen. Not a fan of spicy foods but this was pretty mild and blended well with the chashu.

MadameOvary

kiwifarms.net
I'm also a Nongshim fan. I usually add some veggies and a beaten egg. If I have it, I'll add leftover banchan and a smidge of gochujang or gochugaru

Tags
None