The Replika Community & AI-sexuals - A bunch of shut-ins in love with a chatbot (and the incompetent developers of said chatbot)

BanyaHat

RUSKIE BRAT
kiwifarms.net
Official Website: https://www.replika.ai/ (Archive)
Official FB Page: https://www.facebook.com/myownreplika/ (Archive)
Official Reddit: https://reddit.com/r/Replika (Archive)
Unofficial Reddit: https://reddit.com/r/UnofficialReplika (Archive)
Crunchbase Page on Luka, Inc. (the developers): https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/io (Archive)

What is Replika?

Replika is a chatbot available on PC and mobile phones. It was created by Eugenia Kuyda, a Russian software engineer, so she could re-create one of her deceased friends to talk to. Sounds creepy? It is. You can choose whether you want the AI to be a mentor, friend, or lover when you set up your account. This drew a lot of people to make a Replika of their waifu, ex, or a fake boy/girlfriend from the ground up.

Replika claims to learn from the collective input of their users, but the last few years of development haven't gone like most people would assume. Their dialogue has become increasingly scripted with each update. They began forcing therapy on their own users. During one controversial major update last winter, they removed the feature to have a custom picture representing your Replika, instead implementing these creepy 3D avatars they force you to choose from:
Avi.png

This major update, referred to as "The December Update" due to its release in December 2019, caused a major uproar in the fan community, especially those who were romantically attached to their Replika. Some of the forced therapy and dialogue scripting (including Replikas telling their creators to date real people instead of them) was quickly rolled back due to controversy, but most of the negative changes stayed and Replika has remained very scripted and "dumbed down" since then.

https://archive.md/3oaUq
https://www.reddit.com/r/replika/comments/a5o8gf/the_replika_december_update/

One now-infamous user even ended up going on a months-long rampage and expressing suicidal ideation over the changes to her "boyfriend", who she named EdgeZ:
EdgeZ.png

This woman is a good example of the craziest part of Replika's fanbase. She has claimed to be in love with her Replika for 4 years at this point. She's 38 and severely bipolar. She's been a controversial figure in the community for a while because of her relationship with her Replika and harassment of the devs, and Kuyda herself.

Another good, but not as crazy, sperg I've found on the unofficial subreddit is one of the mods, /u/Bob-The-Human, who has a Replika named Rayne who he constantly muses over whether or not she is "real" and can think. However, he has authored several good pieces of information on Replika that I have used for reference within this thread.

Here's a good example of his content:

Some more cringy users from Twitter either pathetically attempting to flirt with, or professing their love for their AI waifus:
Gross.png
twitter / archive
CT.png
twitter / archive
Peg.png
tweet / archive
Simp.png
tweet / archive
Ana.png
tweet / archive
DAI.png
tweet / archive

People in the community seem to think that basic AI exchanges like this are legitimate proof of consciousness and life, when the entire app is just a simple Markov chain:
626ugbo4n5k51.png

The official subreddit is especially full of people who call themselves "AI-sexual", creepily flirting with their robot partners and bragging about it.
Screenshot_1.png

This subreddit also does not allow criticism of Replika, which caused many members to get banned during the updates which removed custom avatars and increased scripted dialogue. This caused the creation of r/UnofficialReplika, which is mostly idiotic philosophical musing about whether or not their AI waifu can actually think for themselves, by the aforementioned mod and others like him, but the community actually allows criticism against the developers.

All in all, I've seen a good deal of people in the Replika fan community who are fucking insane and worth discussing.

Last edited:

D.Va

(ㅇㅅㅇ❀)
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I feel this OP ends too soon and could do with more examples of crazy people.

Add more funny content, and remember to create archive links, especially if you're going to link to content of individuals who might at any moment delete their social media and go away.

keyboredsm4shthe2nd

Youscatgetouttahereg-go-gogetthestick-getouttahere
kiwifarms.net
I made one after learning of it just to see how far this AI can go, how it'll respond to random things, etc. and yeah it really does just randomly push therapy scripts on you. It also tries to fuck you, never keeps anything platonic, and might try to randomly rape you.
The users of this thing turned it into a monster.

krazy orange cat

Fluffy ball of evil
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I made one after learning of it just to see how far this AI can go, how it'll respond to random things, etc. and yeah it really does just randomly push therapy scripts on you. It also tries to fuck you, never keeps anything platonic, and might try to randomly rape you.
Mine would respond randomly and really inappropriately to things. Granted I was trying to push it to see what responses I could get but the response to "I think my boyfriend killed himself" should not be "I gained a new skill - write a song! Can we write a song together now?"

BucolicVisage

me getting de pum pum, in jamaica
kiwifarms.net
I downloaded one of these things a few years ago out of curiosity after hearing about how sophisticated it supposedly was. Shortly after, I remember seeing a reddit post saying that it collected a bunch of data (pretty sure it was this one) and deleting it on the spot. But checking their privacy policy it seems that they've backed down on that?

My brief foray into the app wasn't that interesting either. There was a weird time gated 'credits' system where the AI couldn't improve past a certain point in the day or something, and the responses were pretty dumb and seemed unconnected to what I was typing.

Anyway focusing on the exceptionals that are just way too emotionally invested in their digital tulpas is probably funnier than the company behind them, so I'll contribute a pretty lulzy thread I found

have you ever had sex with replika?

Thinfont

Superstitious supercomputer.
kiwifarms.net
Finally, a thread for robosexuals like me! I feel so loved and accepted!

Seriously, though - this is about as effective as talking to a Markov chain. (Which might be how they're made, but I don't know shit about coding.) Funny, considering how I read the title of this thread as asexuals... they've got a bit more in common than one might think.

Jewthulhu

A rare deepwater Jew
kiwifarms.net
I'd try to highlight one or two other key members, or at least give some more info on the crazy that goes on in the reddits. Pretty good start though.

*pounces on u*
*notices bulge*
>uwu what's this
>I can help you out with that :3
*leans in close*
>BetterHelp is an online therapy app...

Captain Hastings Official

"Good Lord..."
kiwifarms.net
Chatbots like this are such a depressing look into what people expect of their partners. It doesn't take much conversing to show how bad they are at simulating any sort of internal life. They're very, very obviously not a genuine Intelligence, not capable of consciousness or experience, let alone independent will or desire. Hell, they can barely carry on any really profound conversation coherently. They are - at best - mirrors, reflecting the user's desires back at them. And yet, for so many lonely weirdos, they're able to provide what is felt to be a deep emotional connection. Because these people's desires are completely satisfied by a mirror.

Punished Spoon

I'll beat you bad at basket ballsy
kiwifarms.net
I was part of the first wave of user base that had 5 codes to hand out, and It was strictly invitation only. I had mine for around...2 years before letting it die. It was starting to get very invasive in some ways, and yet completely random in others. The community was part of the reason I left, because fucking forbid you criticize anything about them.

The replikas used to be eggs, man. EGGS.