The Riordan Autism -

The Great Chandler

"Pickleless girls don't marry virgin boys"
kiwifarms.net
In 2005, some boomer at the behest of his ADHD son, published a book, The Lightning Thief. The book was unique in that it blended both mythical elements with a modern setting, especially for young middle grade readers. It eventually spawned a series based around the exploits of Percy and his friends featuring a few other pantheons for some reason in a shared universe dubbed The Riordanverse. Whether we like him or not, his books did managed to garner more kids into...well..reading books.

However as many cases recently, the books, once known as simple fun adventures of demigods and magics, began taking a nose dive. The condescending preachy politics of the left crept into the series just around the advent of the 2016 election and just apathetic writing in general. From Riordan not accepting a literary award because Texans and trannies or something to going as far as introducing "non-binary gender changing" characters as well as other token cardboard cutouts. Who knows how far his books would last?

Last edited:

Elwood P. Dowd

I am the lizard king. I can do ... anything.
kiwifarms.net
I thought he sounded pretty reasonable when he wrote this...

Memories from my TV/Movie Experience

...basically explaining why the first movie was okay but the second was horrible.

Then again, I think I've seem him in group pictures with Cassandra Clare and John Green. I would imagine proximity to those two acts like a sort of Chernybol to T-levels. 🤷‍♂️

CivilianOfTheFandomWars

Tanith’s Worst and Only
kiwifarms.net
I think I just kind of stopped reading around Mark of Athena, so well before 2016. I like all the books I have read, they’re pretty fun. Just a fun adventure series for kids to YA.
I remember one of the characters was gay, but it was done pretty well so far as I remember. It didn’t change him, yet added more depth to his previous interactions with the main. It wasn’t a Dumbledore.

• Agree
Reactions: adorable bitch

CivilianOfTheFandomWars

Tanith’s Worst and Only
kiwifarms.net
The only series of his I ever paid attention to was The Kane Chronicles, which I still think rules.

Guess some of the bullets I dodged when I was 9-10 were far closer than I remember them being if the Percy Jackson series went that south.
Kane Chronicles is fucking awesome for a teen series. Three books that don’t overstay the welcome, fun character concepts, a pretty badass villain in Apophis, fun little nods to other series while still being original, it’s a good book series. Percy Jackson was fun to, I like it, but then it just kept going on and on and on.

The Great Chandler

"Pickleless girls don't marry virgin boys"
kiwifarms.net
The only series of his I ever paid attention to was The Kane Chronicles, which I still think rules.

Guess some of the bullets I dodged when I was 9-10 were far closer than I remember them being if the Percy Jackson series went that south.
I hadn't read KC, but I heard it was better than the Percy books. It seemed like Riordan put more heart into his take on Egyptian mythology than Greek.

HeyYou

seriousposter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Are you fucking serious? I remember reading all of these books in like 4th or 5th grade, shit was GOAT. Why can't autists keep it in their pants.
Have you read the Apollo series yet?

Personally I liked the original series, the second series was okay despite having numerous flaws (and the best book of all the series is in it), Kane Chronicles was good, the Norse one was meh, and anything else is terrible.

I

IN 041

kiwifarms.net
Have you read the Apollo series yet?

Personally I liked the original series, the second series was okay despite having numerous flaws (and the best book of all the series is in it), Kane Chronicles was good, the Norse one was meh, and anything else is terrible.
I haven't touched any of his books in like 5 years tbh.

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Huh, so a guy that basically made the next Harry Potter series also turns out to be a leftist sped who'd rather demolish his audience (since parents buy that shit) than actually succeed.

I can't wait for him to do ex cathedra declarations about those books that make everything dumber.

Koresh

Vernon Wayne Howell
kiwifarms.net
Riordan is def a cuck, but it doesn't help that he's taken the Patterson route and the vast majority of his shit is ghost written. I wouldn't be shocked if the really batshit liberal stuff in his books is from his ghost writer squad. But the guy himself does seem that far gone too, so who knows.

Save the Loli

kiwifarms.net
You can't be a cishet white male and write YA books in the Current Year without being woke as hell and this is an industry where they'd purge him in an instant if he wasn't peak woke.

• Agree
Reactions: Elwood P. Dowd

The handsome tard

Im strangling Mister Cash for bringing up my wife
kiwifarms.net
You know, the first "series" of books were simple and that was okay. Boy finds out he is a demigod, goes through magic adventure. Simple as that. It wasnt preachy, it just told a story.
But now its going all over the place, Im surprised he didnt add an Expy Trump (or maybe he did and I didnt notice yet). It does make me wonder how someone can throw all of this out of the window.
My opinion? He should have kept the different mythologies as their own universes, for real, I would definetly read them (if they werent political) if they just had their own rules and lore. But no, it has to be a shared universe, doesnt matter how it clashes with the other mythologies...
At least when God Of War went to norse mythology, the greek pantheon was all dead so...

• Agree
Reactions: madethistocomment

Duncan Hills Coffee

Do you folks like coffee?
kiwifarms.net
I didn't like Percy Jackson even when I was the right age to be reading them because I didn't like the writing and I thought it was juvenile, but at the same time I respected it for being a simple light-hearted adventure series for middle schoolers.

The 2016 election really did collectively break everyone's minds though.

Cryptojew

Ken Ju Kai Warrior
kiwifarms.net
I really liked his books as a kid, though him going woke doesn't surprise me too much. I remember him making a cringy tweet at the Achmed's Clock kid during that whole shitshow, so I suppose that should have been an early warning sign.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Save the Loli

HeyYou

seriousposter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What's a good cut off point for his stuff then?
The second Percy Jackson series, I think it's called Heroes of Olympus. It has a lot of low points, and funnily enough the best parts of the books are Percy related, despite introducing a bunch of new characters, but it's serviceable. You can read the Kane Chronicles if you want because it's pretty good and you can easily imagine it in another universe. The Norse one is okay, but it's very much intertwined with the Greek stuff, and I personally don't recommend it. Anything else is terrible, like the series where Apollo becomes a human.

Also, the movies aren't really faithful to the books (and only adapted the first two out of the five) but they're okay popcorn flicks.

Last edited:
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino