The saltiest a game has ever made you -

Smaug's Smokey Hole

kiwifarms.net
I'm talking things that makes you still feel animosity towards the game when you think about it. Not multiplayer/mmorpgs necessarily, not to exclude them but I'm thinking more like the static single-player or something where the thing that made you salty was part of the game and stored on the disc/cartridge/cassette before you got it. So it's the actual game that's the culprit of something.

For me it would probably be Ghosts 'n Goblins on the NES. That game was HARD, it was as if Capcom had played the first Castlevania and thought "what if we make these jumps with zero air control bigger, slower and floatier? So when people jump to their death they'll see it coming and have plenty of time to think about their bad decision.That would really fuck with people."

It had endless continues but no codes or saves, so "saving" your game meant letting the NES sit and run the game. It wasn't that fun to play, IMO, but it was a challenge to try to beat it and it was so unwieldy that any progress couldn't be lost meaning that no other games could be played on the system for days or weeks until the many times I said fuck it and changed the cartridge.

What made me salty and what still makes me a bit salty:

In the end I finally beat Ghosts 'n Goblins. When beating the final boss the game, after leaving the NES on for over a week probably, told me it was an illusion and I had to beat the game again and find an item or something. After all this shit I don't even get a credits scroll? I don't even like the game. Whenever I'm reminded of that I discover that there's still a small ember of rage smoldering somewhere in my mind.
Fuck you, Ghosts 'n Goblins.

So, anyone else have any stories about games that did something that made you see red, taste blood and hear the ocean?

millais

The Yellow Rose of Victoria, Texas
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I used to play some of those online combat flight sims and get very salty at losing high-stakes matches due to bad teammates or bad luck. 30 minutes of painstakingly getting to altitude, spotting and building an energy advantage over hostiles, and maneuvering into a good opening position, all gone down the toilet in mere seconds when the rest of the team chokes at the first merge. It did not help that often the playerbase could be very toxic since it is a niche genre and requires so much initial time investment, and you were always fighting with/against the same 200 people, so very personal rivalries and feuds can make those high-stake matches very aggravating.

I usually took out the frustrations in the next match by griefing hard, like deliberately fucking over my team or the other team with unsportsmanlike conduct like team crashing/killing or AFK hiding.

Doc Cassidy

Notorious Bum Driller
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Half-life 2. I was in the Navy when it came out and I bought it right before a tour so I could play it while underway. I knew I wouldn't see land again for several months so I figured if I could find half an hour a day it should last me until I had the opportunity to buy another game.

I went to install it only to realize that it required some stupid bullshit called Steam which required you to connect to the internet before you could play it. Since there isn't any internet in the middle of the pacific ocean that meant I couldn't play it and the game was fucking useless leaving me without a game to play for five months. I was beyond pissed and I held a grudge against Steam that I only let go of two years ago.

BeanBidan

Welcome to Silent Hill faggots.
kiwifarms.net
Any old Mortal Kombat game on hard.
Sonic 3 carnival stage.
Bill and Teds excellent adventure on NES
Beavis and Butthead (FUCK THAT PASSWORD CURSOR AND FUCK LOWERCASE/UPPERCASE SAME SIZE FONT)
Diddy Kong's Quest roller coaster stage.
Metal Slug XX made me want to shoot my self, it's just impossible not to die on it.
Batman games on NES
Ninja Gaiden 1-3
Gauntlet
Altered Beast
Vectorman train stages
Echo the dolphin
Bébé's Kids haunted mansion stage
Ghost Busters stairs stage
Any Wayne's World game
Spiderman on GBC

TheGreatCitracett

As useless as the 19th naked cowboy at Ram Ranch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Really every game I ever beat, then after the credits rolled got dumped right back before the final boss fight. Such bullshit. Mainly it was NES/SNES era RPGs that did this. Nothing like spending hours as a kid to finally beat a game, then discover you can never actually win.

No postgame content at all, either you start all over, or you can backtrack after stuff you missed. Maybe grind to see if you can hit level 99. But that's no fun because all the NPCs are now permanently stuck in "Please, hero, go defeat the evil Demonlord!" mode.

Thank god for games like Chrono Trigger with postgame content and New Game + features.

Archeops

Telling troons to GET THE FUCK OUTTA MY FOREST!
kiwifarms.net
Some Pokemon games have a tendency to but it's largely due to me playing PVP rather than an playing against an AI opponent, the Trading Card Game Online is one that's a causes me to shed massive amounts of salt.

• Feels
Reactions: dysentery

Smaug's Smokey Hole

kiwifarms.net
Really every game I ever beat, then after the credits rolled got dumped right back before the final boss fight. Such bullshit. Mainly it was NES/SNES era RPGs that did this. Nothing like spending hours as a kid to finally beat a game, then discover you can never actually win.

No postgame content at all, either you start all over, or you can backtrack after stuff you missed. Maybe grind to see if you can hit level 99. But that's no fun because all the NPCs are now permanently stuck in "Please, hero, go defeat the evil Demonlord!" mode.

Thank god for games like Chrono Trigger with postgame content and New Game + features.
Oh that shit. Final Fantasy 3(6) on the SNES had some sneaky regional lockout thing where it messed with the game if you imported it and played it with a converter(it wasn't released in Europe). It messed with things in the World of Ruin and IIRC going to the Colosseum would reset it.

The most frustrating thing it did was that it didn't show the ending sequence. It showed a bit of it, then faded to black, a pair of eyes appeared and shifted left and right before the screen locked to black. I have never seen the ending of that game despite owning it since release.

The last mission in Driver made me so incredibly ragey. It was inexplicably so much harder than everything else in the game that I never managed to beat it (despite many attempts).
Was it the first Driver that had the tutorial where you had to drift around pillars in a parking garage before being allowed to play?

XCOM. All of them.

They're great games, but it's SO easy to lose an entire campaign to one bad RNG early on...
I beat the original X-Com without ever knowing that it was possible to save during a mission and so did my equally dumb friends, just powering through and independently figuring out fireteams. When that alien mind controls one of your soldiers equipped with the american football nuke, launching it into the landing craft during the opening round :feels:

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino