The Shin Megami Tensei/Persona Thread -

Overcast

Buttmunch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
To those who also enjoy the SMT series and/or it's spin offs:

Hi!

What's your favorite game in the series? Your favorite demons? Preferred alignment? And of course the ever important question:

Which one of Chie Satonaka's voice actors is the better one? :P

So far, I've played:

Persona 4: Golden
Persona 3 Portable (Haven't finished yet)
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne/ Lucifer's Call
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

So far, I have to say I like P4G and Nocturne the best. The former introduced me to the series and I found it's characters to be quite charming and the music really catchy. Plus I do like how it's sorta like those weird dating sim games you find on flash game websites but BETTER.

As for Nocturne, I enjoy it's more philosophical story telling, and the battle system is quite fun too. You can get wrecked fairly easily if you don't have a good set up going. Plus, demon fusion is AWESOME.

c-no

Duck
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I like Strange Journey (only smt games I played was that along with the spin-offs Persona 3 and Digital Devil Saga and the MMO spin-off Shin Megami Tensei IMAGINE.). My favorite mons is Jack Frost (Because Hee-Ho.). My preferred alignment is Neutral. Also, I think Chaos is overrated. Forget their freedom and forget the order Law brings.

Beth

kiwifarms.net
What's your favorite game in the series?
Nocturne. I'd go as far as to say it is one of the best games for the PS2.

Your favorite demons?
Lucifer and Daisoujou.

Preferred alignment?
Neutral, because of gameplay reasons and my way of thinking. Law is only cool in SMTII, and just because you hang out with Satan, and while Chaos is an appealing side, I find it kinda disappointing in most games.

Which one of Chie Satonaka's voice actors is the better one? :P
I only heard her Japanese voice, sooo...

John Titor

Pronouns: time/temporal/tempself
kiwifarms.net
Played and Finished:
Persona 3
Persona 4
Persona 4 Arena
Devil Survivor

WORKIN ON IT:
SMTIV
Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
Nocturne
SMTI (rom is buggy as hell *sigh*)
SMTII
Devil Survivor 2

Favorite Demon:
Will get back to you on that.

Alignment:
Neutral. Fuck your fascism and fuck your anarchy; sit down, shut up and make peace.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Godot and c-no

Overcast

Buttmunch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Well I finally beaten Persona 3 Portable after putting it off for like three months.

Holy crap that final boss fight. :o

But anyway yeah, when it comes to Strange Journey, I do find Neutral seems to be my preferred alignment as well. I will admit though, the Chaos route IS pretty tempting.

With Nocturne however, the lines between those alignments are a lot more blurry. I guess the TDE and Yosuga routes are both technically Chaos, but the latter doesn't involve the complete destruction of everything.

Reactions: Uncanny Valley

Watcher

Cishet dudebro
kiwifarms.net
I VERY recently got into the SMT series, and I have to say it's among my favorite JRPGs ever.

So far I've powered through and completed Persona 3 FES. I've also been playing SMT Nocturne since everyone keeps comparing it to Mad Max/Army of Darkness as a JRPG.

I really like the challenge of each game and how vastly different they are from each other. Like Persona being quirky and comedic, while Nocturne is bleak and depressing.

And how mechanics in each are very similar but different in their own way. It's really an interesting mix.

Dr. Mario

kiwifarms.net
Gotta love Persona series, too bad the only Shin Megami Tensei title I've ever played (besides Imagine) was Shin Megami Tensei IV.

Beth

kiwifarms.net
Well I finally beaten Persona 3 Portable after putting it off for like three months.

Holy crap that final boss fight. :o

But anyway yeah, when it comes to Strange Journey, I do find Neutral seems to be my preferred alignment as well. I will admit though, the Chaos route IS pretty tempting.

With Nocturne however, the lines between those alignments are a lot more blurry. I guess the TDE and Yosuga routes are both technically Chaos, but the latter doesn't involve the complete destruction of everything.
Jimenez and Lucifer make the Chaos route in their respective games highly appealing, because they are really cool people...Unlike Chiaki. She is a really big floozy and I like crushing her dreams. :alog:

• Agree
Reactions: Uncanny Valley

Dunsparce

Out of Control
Staff Member
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Games I own from the Series:
-Persona 3 FES (PS2)
-Persona 4 (PS2)
-Persona 3 Portable (PSP)
-Persona 4 Arena (PS3)
-Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS)

What I find funny about the series(and the Tales Series) is that it started as a video game adaption of a book and now has nothing to do with the source material. I wish I owned more non-persona games, but that's just how it ended up.

Reactions: CatParty

Watcher

Cishet dudebro
kiwifarms.net
Games I own from the Series:
-Persona 3 FES (PS2)
-Persona 4 (PS2)
-Persona 3 Portable (PSP)
-Persona 4 Arena (PS3)
-Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS)
Which of the series are your favorite Dunsparce? I know a lot of people that prefer P3 to P4 and vice versa.

Abby

kiwifarms.net
I just recently finished Persona 4 since it was five bucks on PSN. My friend is a huge Persona fan and convinced me to give it a shot and I'm glad she did. P4 was awesome. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to finish all the Social Links (Naoto and Kanji) so I'm doing a new game plus playthrough now.

I'm considering playing Persona 3 next since it is also 5 bucks on PSN. I've heard the battle system may be harder to get into after playing P4 first.

Overcast

Buttmunch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I just recently finished Persona 4 since it was five bucks on PSN. My friend is a huge Persona fan and convinced me to give it a shot and I'm glad she did. P4 was awesome. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to finish all the Social Links (Naoto and Kanji) so I'm doing a new game plus playthrough now.

I'm considering playing Persona 3 next since it is also 5 bucks on PSN. I've heard the battle system may be harder to get into after playing P4 first.
Depends on which version you get. The original and FES force you to give tactical commands to your party members as you can't control your party members. From what I've heard though, the AI is not that bad. Portable on the other hand, (the version I got) allows complete control over your party and also inherited some of the changes to the battle system 4 made.

Which one you should get is totally up to you. The original and FES retains it's graphics and presentation and also has a 20 hour or so epilogue that expands on the ending somewhat, while Portable shifted to a more visual novel style due to the PSP's limitations, but also has the ability to play as a female character with her own social links and music.

Anyway, I just started Digital Devil Saga. Pretty awesome game so far.

Watcher

Cishet dudebro
kiwifarms.net

Depends on which version you get. The original and FES force you to give tactical commands to your party members as you can't control your party members. From what I've heard though, the AI is not that bad. Portable on the other hand, (the version I got) allows complete control over your party and also inherited some of the changes to the battle system 4 made.
After playing both FES and Portable I can safely say I preferred FES lacking control with party members.

There are weakness to both systems. FES does not allow you to control your party members directly but instead issue commands to them. Like you can assign one character to only use status increasing/weakening moves, or assign a character to never use physical attacks. Most of the time the party AI wasn't terrible because if you brought a party member who had an attack that an enemy was weak to, they'd constantly use it and try to knock them down as much as possible. The only time the party AI was annoying was if the main character is hit with a status effect. Since the main character is the one who issues commands, you have to wait until you recover from your status effect or the party kills the enemy in order to issue any tactics. This was the only real niggle I had with it, and I didn't feel like it broke the game for me. FES's system was also much faster and made random encounters feel a lot less laborious because you were usually done with them in only a minute or two.

With Persona 3 portable you could directly control your party members. But I felt this made the game a little too easy. Then again they did add an extra hard mode on top of the regular hard mode so you balance out a little in that regard. P3P also does not include the extra side story "The Answer" that FES included, nor the anime-style cutscenes or 3D environments.

Last edited:

Abby

kiwifarms.net
Interesting. Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably go ahead and get P3 FES eventually as the added epilogue and cutscenes sounds pretty sweet. The issuing commands thing sounds like it'll cause a bit of a learning curve but I'm sure it won't be that bad.

Reactions: Watcher

Watcher

Cishet dudebro
kiwifarms.net
I bought Persona 4 today, might dig into my thoughts about it when I get a chance to play it.

Dunsparce

Out of Control
Staff Member
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Which of the series are your favorite Dunsparce? I know a lot of people that prefer P3 to P4 and vice versa.
I'd say 4 Because I can control the characters. You can do it in the PSP version of 3, but the dumbed down interface and the loss of The Answer counteracts any upsides the the addition of that and any of the other new features.

Also you could control what abilities your party members learned. For example I feel that Chie should keep Bufula and Mabufu in order to exploit weaknesses for an all-out attack even though their damage is subpar

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino