The Shin Megami Tensei/Persona Thread -

Kiomei

Lulz Enthusiast
kiwifarms.net
After (and including) 3, Persona was always meant to be the "casual friendly" gateway into more hardcore SMT titles. Good for them if they make bank between titles I'm actually interested in (even thought I still played all Personas, including 1 and EP).
Yeah, I mean, I can get past the whole exp boost thing if the story is at least vastly improved, that statement is true as I've gone back to 3 for the past couple of days and the differences are astounding. However, if they continue dumbing down the gameplay, it'll only make it harder for the casuals to catch up to the previous games. Unless they decide to release the definitive versions of 3 and 4 (combining the pros of FES and Portable for 3 and essentially a remade Golden) on PS4/5.

Seriously Atlus, come on already. We don't need more fucking dancing games, you clearly wanna use those IPs.

EDIT: I see what you mean now, the "other" SMT. Yeah, I dunno about that. It's hard for me to see them doing anything with it frankly, the Persona spinoffs just make way more money and have the popularity.

Last edited:

SteelPlatedHeart

Politics are fucking dumb
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Sweet, an excuse to play through P5 again(played through it on my former roommate’s PS4, so I m definitely gonna pick up my own copy).

Mysterious Capitalist

Whoops! Guess this soul belongs to me now!
kiwifarms.net
EDIT: I see what you mean now, the "other" SMT. Yeah, I dunno about that. It's hard for me to see them doing anything with it frankly, the Persona spinoffs just make way more money and have the popularity.
SMT5 is still a thing that's happening and they genuinely seem to care

(I still get hyped when I hear that music)

I'm also buying a switch just for this

Kiomei

Lulz Enthusiast
kiwifarms.net
Sweet, an excuse to play through P5 again(played through it on my former roommate’s PS4, so I m definitely gonna pick up my own copy).
Yeah, I think they are giving Morgana the "Teddie" treatment.

SMT5 is still a thing that's happening and they genuinely seem to care

(I still get hyped when I hear that music)

I'm also buying a switch just for this
I've never played any of the legit SMT games, so I can't give a solid opinion or pretend to know what I'm talking about for that.

Last edited:

Mysterious Capitalist

kiwifarms.net
I've never played any of the legit SMT games
If you want, SMT3: Nocturne is probably the best you can do to start with mainline SMT games. SMT4 may be better in terms of gameplay because of modern quality of life things, but the atmosphere of Nocturne is just unmatched and more than makes up for a little old school clunkiness. That's my opinion anyway.

I also suggest you try other spin offs like Digital Devil Saga or Devil Survivor, if you haven't. They're all great.

Kiomei

Lulz Enthusiast
kiwifarms.net
If you want, SMT3: Nocturne is probably the best you can do to start with mainline SMT games. SMT4 may be better in terms of gameplay because of modern quality of life things, but the atmosphere of Nocturne is just unmatched and more than makes up for a little old school clunkiness. That's my opinion anyway.

I also suggest you try other spin offs like Digital Devil Saga or Devil Survivor, if you haven't. They're all great.
Alright, sure. Is there anything I should cast from my mind about things from the spinoffs going into that franchise?

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Yeah, I think they are giving Morgana the "Teddie" treatment.
View attachment 751358

I've never played any of the legit SMT games, so I can't give a solid opinion or pretend to know what I'm talking about for that.
If that's really his body it's going to cause a ton of REEEEing. For Teddie he was a manlet who worse a dress so that made him not threatening when he went after the girls. However I've got a feeling they're gonna make Morgana be Nyarlathotep or something due to the eyes, they're not a normal color.

Kiomei

Lulz Enthusiast
kiwifarms.net
If that's really his body it's going to cause a ton of REEEEing. For Teddie he was a manlet who worse a dress so that made him not threatening when he went after the girls. However I've got a feeling they're gonna make Morgana be Nyarlathotep or something due to the eyes, they're not a normal color.
Teddie's eyes are exactly the same color as Mangana's there (in human form). I think they are giving him the human form cause it was obvious he was a foil to Teddie, but executed poorly, so I would expect pretty much a similar story that hopefully redeems his shitty attitude throughout all of 5.

I think what Morgana said in the screencap is something akin to "Maybe now, Lady Ann and I can...fufufu"

EDIT: Now that I think about it, Mangana is gonna need a new VA for his human form, he can't go around sounding like an androgynous cat like that. Teddie got away with it cause he's Teddie.

Last edited:

Mysterious Capitalist

kiwifarms.net
Alright, sure. Is there anything I should cast from my mind about things from the spinoffs going into that franchise?
I don't quite understand your question. If you're asking about what you should be worried about while trying these games, it's just that they're a bit old and to be a bit patient with interfaces and whatnot (also, save often because autosave wasn't a thing back then)

ATaxingWoman

Stefannie Lööfven, Professional Tax Investigator
kiwifarms.net
There is a scene where the mysterious new handsome guy character sleeps in the same bed as the protagonist.

Lol, they're still trying to pretend it's not Morgana.
If you have save data for Persona 5, you will get some sort of bonus. You will not be able to use the same save data for Persona 5 Royal however
TFW you can't carry over your nearly invincible Yoshitsune
In hindsight, don't be surprised if there will be an anime adaptation for this title as well, we saw this before with P4G.
And it will be a train wreck just like the Golden animation

Last edited:

Kiomei

Lulz Enthusiast
kiwifarms.net
Lmao yeah, anyone who doesn't believe it is just...blind lol. Morgana's English VA was concerned cause she thought it wasn't Morgana.

Brojiro: "Hey uh, Ren. I brought some food for Mo-" sees Mangana and Ren in the bed

Brojiro: "What the hell is going on here?!"

Mysterious Capitalist

kiwifarms.net
I meant I probably shouldn't expect stuff like social links and stuff like that.
Ah, no. No social links, but you make friends with your enemies if you answer their philosophical questions correctly. Demon fusion and stuff like that is still there, though.

John Titor

Pronouns: time/temporal/tempself
kiwifarms.net
Older games won't let you choose the skills for fusion. Devil Survivor 2 has something similar to social links. Digital Devil Saga plays more like many other JRPGs as demon recruiting and fusion isn't really a thing there.

ATaxingWoman

Stefannie Lööfven, Professional Tax Investigator
kiwifarms.net
There's a livestream on Youtube where they're showing new things from Persona 5 R
Edit: stream is over and up on Youtube. They showed more from the story, the new location (Kichijoji), mechanics and revised parts of the first palace.

Last edited:

Kiomei

Lulz Enthusiast
kiwifarms.net
There's a livestream on Youtube where they're showing new things from Persona 5 R
Edit: stream is over and up on Youtube. They showed more from the story, the new location (Kichijoji), mechanics and revised parts of the first palace.
Oh cool, I'll be sure to check it out.

Yeah I dunno man, seems kind of weird with the other SMT games but I'll try and figure it out, I guess.

eternal dog mongler

kiwifarms.net
Pro-tip for people diving into Majin Tensei II.

It's like old school Fire Emblem, just weapons don't break, so if you are a fan of classic Fire Emblem, this will be very familiar.

Also, there is a much more complex version of the 'rock paper scissors" combat from FE, but thankfully, the game provides a handy guide to what works against certain demon types and what doesn't in the AFFINITY menu.

Y'know I came to this thread specifically to see if anyone had been playing Majin Tensei II since it got translated.

It's good. It's even better if you try to get all of the best weapons and armor in the game, which require you to beat maps in Chs. 5 and 6 under a certain number of turns while killing most of the enemies on the map. These turn limits are very unforgiving (the best sword in the game is given out on a bonus map with a 5 turn limit to occupy the enemy base and your MC can only get there moving his full movement on every turn, so you have to have other characters or demons murder every enemy demon in his way so his movement never gets blocked and he can get there in time.)

It's like an S-rank FE run, it's fun as hell. The actual plot is pretty weird and sparse but the mechanics make up for it.

GethN7

Cute doggo is cute
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Older games won't let you choose the skills for fusion. Devil Survivor 2 has something similar to social links. Digital Devil Saga plays more like many other JRPGs as demon recruiting and fusion isn't really a thing there.
SMT2 has a way to kinda do this, but it requires you enter the fusion screen, see what skills transfer, back out, then go back in and out till the skills you WANT transferred show up on the result, then go ahead with the fusion.

If you get a Fusion Accident, though, all bets are off, but it will work if the fusion was a success.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino