The Shin Megami Tensei/Persona Thread -

jellycar

50% Patty Hearst/50% Natasha Romanoff
kiwifarms.net
With Tokyo Mirage Sessions coming out I figure I'd ask about Persona 3 and 5 Dancing All Night.

Is it strictly a dance game? Or does it have RPG elements?

Eric Salads

kiwifarms.net
With Tokyo Mirage Sessions coming out I figure I'd ask about Persona 3 and 5 Dancing All Night.

They are strictly rhythm games with fanservice unlockable cutscenes, outfits, and remixed songs from Persona 3 and 5. There aren't any RPG elements and there isn't really any story to speak of.

FadeIntoBolivian

kiwifarms.net
I've never played any other SMT/Persona game, whatsoever. I'm about 60 hours into Persona 3 FES on PS2.

Growing up I was always very arcade-centric when it came to video games and looked down on JRPG's in a big way but after not playing video games much at all in the last 10ish years it's been pretty fun to try something different and see what I missed. Love the music and visuals. I feel like I'm not getting the most from the spell/weapon fusion system but also I went to tartarus almost every night early in the game until someone/I got tired because I didn't realize you don't need to, so I'm pretty badly overleveled I feel like - playing on normal, by the time I get to any given boss or a new area of tartarus opens up, the odds of me actually dying in a given battle are really low and it usually happens from making an obvious mistake or not expecting some strong attack I'm weak to at that moment, etc. So it doesn't really feel like getting a strong fused weapon or high level personas beyond what I have are even necessary when most battles can already be easily cheesed with a couple different spells and often don't result in even taking damage.

My plan is to just go straight into 4 whenever I'm done this and if i'm still liking it, P5 (the only consoles I have for persona are ps2 and 3 and I doubt I'll be interested in buying a PS4 anytime soon, so vanilla version is the one)

From glancing at this thread it seems like most people here hate Persona from 3 and beyond, or at least think that SMT is the superior branch of the franchise.

2 looks really interesting, I know I can just download it and find out for myself, but I've heard people say it's super antiquated and not great to play these days even though it seems like the consensus is that it's the best story in the series. Since this forum seems to have a contrary attitude to what a lot of other places feel when it comes to 3/4, does 2 still hold up even from a game mechanics standpoint?

Sigma

Eighteen Inches
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've never played any other SMT/Persona game, whatsoever. I'm about 60 hours into Persona 3 FES on PS2.

Growing up I was always very arcade-centric when it came to video games and looked down on JRPG's in a big way but after not playing video games much at all in the last 10ish years it's been pretty fun to try something different and see what I missed. Love the music and visuals. I feel like I'm not getting the most from the spell/weapon fusion system but also I went to tartarus almost every night early in the game until someone/I got tired because I didn't realize you don't need to, so I'm pretty badly overleveled I feel like - playing on normal, by the time I get to any given boss or a new area of tartarus opens up, the odds of me actually dying in a given battle are really low and it usually happens from making an obvious mistake or not expecting some strong attack I'm weak to at that moment, etc. So it doesn't really feel like getting a strong fused weapon or high level personas beyond what I have are even necessary when most battles can already be easily cheesed with a couple different spells and often don't result in even taking damage.

My plan is to just go straight into 4 whenever I'm done this and if i'm still liking it, P5 (the only consoles I have for persona are ps2 and 3 and I doubt I'll be interested in buying a PS4 anytime soon, so vanilla version is the one)

From glancing at this thread it seems like most people here hate Persona from 3 and beyond, or at least think that SMT is the superior branch of the franchise.

2 looks really interesting, I know I can just download it and find out for myself, but I've heard people say it's super antiquated and not great to play these days even though it seems like the consensus is that it's the best story in the series. Since this forum seems to have a contrary attitude to what a lot of other places feel when it comes to 3/4, does 2 still hold up even from a game mechanics standpoint?
I've beaten P2 Innocent Sin on PSP. It's a very different sort of story since the plot centers around rumors becoming reality which leads to some interesting scenarios and ideas. Also, the first two Persona games are much closer to traditional SMT style games in terms of how you progress and how the map is laid out and such. However, the gameplay in Persona 2 isn't great even for the genre. It's generally easy, slow and you could say the most interesting things about it are the demon conversations. Actually, you could argue that the gameplay is worse than Persona 1 as well, since Persona 1 had a grid system which spiced things up a bit. I generally liked the story though, probably mostly for the general weirdness of it. I played a bit of Eternal Punishment but I dropped it eventually. It could be considered something of a remix of Innocent Sin due to plot reasons but the gameplay is much harder and by consequence, much more annoying, Since I didn't finish it, I can't speak as much about the plot of it though, I guess.

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net

I'm not sure anyone really hates Persona 3/4/5, but Persona 1/2 and SMT 1/2/3/4 are very different game series so it's a bit confusing. It's even more confusing as Persona 1/2, Persona 3/4/5, and SMT are tonally very different. It's even more confusing as Persona 3 is considered a sequel to Persona 1/2 despite having an entirely different canon, which is then added to a bunch by the other games.

I really like Persona 3/4/5 in a vaccum, I just don't like where the series is going - because Persona 3/4/5 (+P3FES, P3P, P4G, P5R, PQ, PQ2, P4A, P4AU, P5St, P4DAN, P3DAN, P5DAN) is frankly just too many fucking games, and I'm probably missing some. The games are fine by themselves, but they aren't different enough from one another to a point where I hope P6 changes it up; but it won't, because Persona is basically printing money. Outside of the 15+ games/revisions there has been 4 full anime series, and 3+ movies released in theaters, other game crossovers, and even several stage plays. It feels like Persona is going to be the JRPG equivalent of Assassin's Creed.

To that same end, while Persona is being showered with games (and movies, manga, spinoffs)- SMT hasn't had much going for it in nearly a decade (SMT4 was 2013, SMT4A 2016, SMTSJ 2009) and SMT5 doesn't have a real release date. I'm not certain that the SMT fans hate Persona 3/4/5 so much as they feel alieniated by Atlus.

Overcooked Raccoon

Mildly interesting.
kiwifarms.net
TMS Encore is out and the game is exactly how it was on the Wii U.

Game is absolutely cheesy as fuck, but you learn to just enjoy how stupid it is. Gameplay is slower the Persona/SMT, but it's still enjoyable. Music is really really good and I'm a sucker for the earworm jpop songs.

That being said and this still holds true now the game reeks of Awakening and FE1. Like holy fucking shit stop. Give us FE6, FE7, fuck man even a rep from PoR or RD would be amazing.

For people on the fence, look up gameplay before you hop in to play it. It is absolutely not for everyone. If you hate cliche as fuck anime tropes DO NOT PLAY THIS GAME.

• Informative
Reactions: Sigma

Tour of Italy

Open for ToGo carside pickup and family delivery.
kiwifarms.net
The games are fine by themselves, but they aren't different enough from one another to a point where I hope P6 changes it up; but it won't, because Persona is basically printing money.
I love it when a series is willing to change some its fundamental design assumptions, and it’s sad that it almost never happens, within the current state of the entertainment industry.

I often daydream about how much even a moderate shift in the Persona formula could pay creative dividends. Maybe change the time period to something a little more distant from modern day? Reduce or increase the age of the main cast? I’d play the shit out of a mainline Persona game that was a darker version of Earthbound set in rural Japan or one that follows the lives of aimless college-age or adults dealing with the social expectations of a changing world.

They could honestly get away with seismic shifts in the setting without fundamentally altering the core principles. The series gets its central identity by creating a world where characters (and players) must balance mundane, real-world daily life with confronting believably dangerous supernatural threats. That’s not an entirely unique premise, but I’d argue it’s what gives the brand its identity more than the demons, the combat systems, the obligatory mascot character or whatever else. It’s fun to think about what else could be explored with the concept, even while still borrowing a few of those series staple design elements. What would a “Persona” game look like if it were set at a poor catholic school in Central America, with all the associated culture and region superstitions?

I know Atlus is a Japanese company with Japanese developers who write what they know; that layered, nuanced exploration of their culture is part of what makes the series so special. Still, it’d be cool as hell to explore other cultures and settings through a similar setup.

For a while, as a fun creative thought experiment, I made notes on what a Persona game set in an American high school circa 2007 would be like. The height of the Iraq war, the fading supremacy of conservative ideals, changing social opinions, students forging ahead towards their futures, not yet knowing just how deeply they would be screwed by the institutions they trusted. A group of teens coming to terms with American interventionism, all while trying to navigate the process becoming adults while doing their best to hold on to the remaining joys of adolescence. There’s a deep well of imagery and symbolism from the era: American military machinery that littered the news daily, a comic industry just barely cresting into the mainstream public consciousness, an internet culture still free enough to explore the boundaries of poor taste. Hell, even the cringey emo pop-punk aesthetic made its mark as a product of the times.

I don’t know. It’d be fun. It’d be like the Persona 1 localization, but not as half-assed.

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
I love it when a series is willing to change some its fundamental design assumptions, and it’s sad that it almost never happens, within the current state of the entertainment industry.

I often daydream about how much even a moderate shift in the Persona formula could pay creative dividends. Maybe change the time period to something a little more distant from modern day? Reduce or increase the age of the main cast? I’d play the shit out of a mainline Persona game that was a darker version of Earthbound set in rural Japan or one that follows the lives of aimless college-age or adults dealing with the social expectations of a changing world.
Persona 2 was pretty good about including characters who were not high school age kids. Persona 2 has party members that are 23 and 32 years old, respectively. Persona 2 was also a direct sequel to Persona 1, so the entire Persona 1 cast who appear in that game are +3 years older, making them 20-21.

Part of the Persona 3/4/5/Anime canon is that adults cannot use personas without the aid of dangerous and experimental drugs or literal divine intervention. Akihiko (from P3) openly states this and shares that he can no longer call his own persona in Persona : Trinity Soul.

So, if Persona 6 is tied into the Persona 3/4/5 canon, it's young kids all the way down.

the autist of dojima

Me? Im already half shitpost
kiwifarms.net
I'm not sure anyone really hates Persona 3/4/5, but Persona 1/2 and SMT 1/2/3/4 are very different game series so it's a bit confusing. It's even more confusing as Persona 1/2, Persona 3/4/5, and SMT are tonally very different. It's even more confusing as Persona 3 is considered a sequel to Persona 1/2 despite having an entirely different canon, which is then added to a bunch by the other games.

I really like Persona 3/4/5 in a vaccum, I just don't like where the series is going - because Persona 3/4/5 (+P3FES, P3P, P4G, P5R, PQ, PQ2, P4A, P4AU, P5St, P4DAN, P3DAN, P5DAN) is frankly just too many fucking games, and I'm probably missing some. The games are fine by themselves, but they aren't different enough from one another to a point where I hope P6 changes it up; but it won't, because Persona is basically printing money. Outside of the 15+ games/revisions there has been 4 full anime series, and 3+ movies released in theaters, other game crossovers, and even several stage plays. It feels like Persona is going to be the JRPG equivalent of Assassin's Creed.

To that same end, while Persona is being showered with games (and movies, manga, spinoffs)- SMT hasn't had much going for it in nearly a decade (SMT4 was 2013, SMT4A 2016, SMTSJ 2009) and SMT5 doesn't have a real release date. I'm not certain that the SMT fans hate Persona 3/4/5 so much as they feel alieniated by Atlus.
Id argue its not only SMT fans that hate nu persona/atlus, but every series that isnt ED due to them getting the short end of the stick like trauma center, all the radical different "smt" games, catherine to some extent and others that escape my mind at the moment

ATaxingWoman

Professional Quarantined Tax Investigator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Akihiko (from P3) openly states this in Persona : Trinity Soul.
Hasn't that one been discarded from the official canon after not being received well though? Or was it stated somewhere else?

Either way, if they can change the rules once, they can change them twice, so while it's probably not going to happen because otaku fans <3 high school settings, I hope they make a Persona game that features university students or even older adults

Reactions: Tour of Italy

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
Hasn't that one been discarded from the official canon after not being received well though? Or was it stated somewhere else?

Either way, if they can change the rules once, they can change them twice, so while it's probably not going to happen because otaku fans <3 high school settings, I hope they make a Persona game that features university students or even older adults
I'm not a loremaster, but they make a point of having him say that he's going to leave the special operations team from P4A and P4AU and join the "regular" police force - presumably so he can be on the "regular" police force when the events of Trinity Soul happen. It's a weird thing for them to do if they didn't regard TS as canon, but who fucking knows.

• Informative
Reactions: ATaxingWoman

Shield Breaker

^_^
kiwifarms.net
Isn't the guy behind the last three games done with Persona? Maybe the next game will be closer to the duology.

I have never played the spin-offs. I have enough trouble playing games these days. I am not going to waste time on some dance or fighting game.

the autist of dojima

Me? Im already half shitpost
kiwifarms.net
I'm not a loremaster, but they make a point of having him say that he's going to leave the special operations team from P4A and P4AU and join the "regular" police force - presumably so he can be on the "regular" police force when the events of Trinity Soul happen. It's a weird thing for them to do if they didn't regard TS as canon, but who fucking knows.
Trinity souls is considered not canon because its too fucking exceptional (just like with the clubhouse book stating that nyx is an alien)
What you need to understand about the new persona games "lore" is that there isnt, plot points get introduced and then dropped off the face of the earth the next spinoff/game outside of the velvet room and igor being the master of it (because fuck philemon amiright)

Islamic Creampie

kiwifarms.net
Persona 2 Innocent Sin has fucking Hitler and a character who totally isn't Steven Seagal.

Been a long ass time since I played it, but I remember it playing a bit different from the later games. IIRC, all characters can change their Personas, rather than just the main character. Having your characters queue up certain skills would trigger more powerful combo skills. The rumour becoming reality thing was also a gameplay mechanic if you wanted it to be as there's an NPC you can pay to spread rumours that have an effect on battles/negotiations.

I liked it from what I can remember of it, but it's definitely not as user friendly as 3 onward.

Reactions: ATaxingWoman

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
TMS Encore is out and the game is exactly how it was on the Wii U.

Game is absolutely cheesy as fuck, but you learn to just enjoy how stupid it is. Gameplay is slower the Persona/SMT, but it's still enjoyable. Music is really really good and I'm a sucker for the earworm jpop songs.

That being said and this still holds true now the game reeks of Awakening and FE1. Like holy fucking shit stop. Give us FE6, FE7, fuck man even a rep from PoR or RD would be amazing.

For people on the fence, look up gameplay before you hop in to play it. It is absolutely not for everyone. If you hate cliche as fuck anime tropes DO NOT PLAY THIS GAME.
Does it have all the DLC included and did they unchange the graphical changes for the western release?

All I know is that it was supposed to be Shin Megami Tensei x Fire Emblem and it got warped into this and I'm still fairly miffed about it.

Lin Marin

kiwifarms.net
Apparently @RetroTranslator, prolific fan translator of many old games, including many niche SMT titles, just got bullied off Twitter and seemingly out of the translation hobby entirely:

EPOVg_UUwAoYPer.png

If you didn't already guess it, this was the work of ResetEra and woke Twitter faggots.
This is the line that offended them:

Goemon-3-585x300.jpg

Important to note that this appears to be entirely accurate to the original Japanese script. Which they admit, but obviously you're expected to change the original script to not offend people.

RetroTranslator/Tom is credited with over 50 translations on romhacking.net, including the recently released Majin Tensei games and many other SMT titles.

Tags
None